News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Critter Forge

Started by mannik, January 27, 2011, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannik

I stumbled upon this neat flash game on Kongregate. Its kind of similar to pokemon in that you try to collect various cute and cuddly creatures which you then use to fight other cute and cuddly creatures both wild and belonging to other players. However it is quite different in that you don't catch them, but rather genetically engineer them, and they don't really evolve (that I know of....kinda just started yesterday.) You can combine the various creatures in several ways....for instance I have a fish with moose antlers, and I had a wolf with bat wings.

The combat is also different as you don't actually give your critter commands, but rather create their skills from a combination of 'puzzle pieces' and then tell them when to use it using drop down lists of conditional statements. (For example, a bite piece + an increased damage piece, used when enemy health > 50%)

Surprisingly fun, though you have to wait for your critters to rest after they run out of stamina before you can fight again. They gain one stamina every three or so minutes (max of five stamina at a time, at least for low tier creatures) so its not too bad. If you liked pokemon, give this game a try. You might have to make an account on Kongregate if you don't already have one.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/EdgebeeStudios/critter-forge

Yorubi

Ah well trying it out. Its kinda cool though the whole puzzle piece part makes it a little bit "puzzling?" No puns intended. The whole thing just seems a little bit complex to me... I mean i can figure it out but when it comes to having to feed the pet and maintain so many different areas I just tend to get distracted away from it.

None the less it looks pretty well made. ^^

mannik

Its not really that complicated once you get into it. You only need to feed them like once every two or three days or so. Feeding them once puts 25 units of food in their pin which they munch on as time goes by (you can increase the ammount of food stored in their pin if you want to spend the money on it). I fed mine like two days ago and they still have 11 units of food to go through.

Also, the health and happiness can be increased at the same time using certain items that can be bought from the market (such as hydrating cream) so that takes some of the complexity out of careing for your critters. As far as the puzzle pieces go...all I can say is just hover over them and figure out what they do, and try to build your skills based on what effects you are going for/have available.

When you go to create a new creature, different parts (horns, tails, dorsal fins, etc.) Give different pieces to include in skills. Apparently its also possible to splice two creatures into one to get new skill pieces, though you need a special item for that.. I think you get it from questing. (go to downtown and figure out what sample you need to get, then go on safari in the designated area and try to get it.)