what MMOs is anyone playing?

Started by boogop, July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

My collectors edition for FF XIV is on its way.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

WingedServant

Well, I was playing a crap ton of DDO, and LoTRO, but when I got my new comp with Win 8.. it apparantly hated the loaders and I've had too many fits trying to get back there. Sad too, I was enjoying both.

Current MMO of choice... Warframe.

Some might poopoo it. but Ninjas in space is just plain fun. Plus it isn't sucking my money away like Turbine was.

Chris Brady

Warframe isn't an MMO.  It's a Co-Op game, but it doesn't have the persistent world, it doesn't even have a lobby where you can meet random other people.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

kylie

Well, I pushed one of my Rift characters up to 60.  I heard there may be a plan to eventually push the level cap up again to 70 or so, perhaps in a few months?  But I have not really tried to confirm this yet. 

I'm impressed with how much space and how many quests they added.  Once you get a little help from some friends (to get more portals earlier), you can pick more where to spend your time leveling.  But Storm Legion questing sort of flies through the areas before you've explored all of them, compared to how classic went.  In a way I like it because people can pick more (and it's true one of the continents has an awful lot of undead theme, anyway). 

If you don't mind more grindy feel or just want to see a few more quests, then you do often have some excuse to go back for lots and lots of faction reputation point farming...  It's not my favorite reason to revisit places, but yeah.

Gear and creatures do not seem to have added all that much for me yet.  They often kept on adding "bigger" or badder versions of some of the same creature appearances!  (This gets dull for me when just questing, although I like the new landscapes okay.)   If you were already raid geared at 50, then much of the new offense power comes from levels/abilities and not from gear until 60 -- at least, it did for me on mage. 

Class and soul choices also seem more or less as they were -- much of the same stuff is popular -- but I find it a little easier to spec and play roles I didn't understand at all before, at least at 60.  Maybe they are finally "maturing" a bit?

WingedServant

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 22, 2013, 03:08:32 AM
Warframe isn't an MMO.  It's a Co-Op game, but it doesn't have the persistent world, it doesn't even have a lobby where you can meet random other people.

There is a lobby, and several chat areas for pick up groups. And the game has a persistant nature to an extent.  Besides, all that an mmo truely requires is multiplayer involvement on a massive scale that can be played online.

ShadowFox89

Tried warframe. Game lagged like crazy, graphics sucked, and people were too concerned with blitzing through a level.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: WingedServant on August 22, 2013, 09:37:25 AM
There is a lobby, and several chat areas for pick up groups. And the game has a persistant nature to an extent.  Besides, all that an mmo truely requires is multiplayer involvement on a massive scale that can be played online.

It is more like a MOBA than an MMO.

Hades

I've gone through a couple of MMOs over the past couple of months.  Started with DDO, and then went to SWTOR and WoW.  Then I lost interest in the Old Republic and Warcraft, so now I'm back to mostly DDO these days.  Unless World of Tanks fits the criteria for being considered an MMO, then that one can go on my list as well. :)

Moraline

I'm a lost and lonely MMORPG player.

It's been a couple years since any of them have held my interest and the last was SWTOR. Sadly, SWTOR only held my interest for a few months. Every other MMORPG I've tried in the last few years never held my attention for more then a month. 

Even GW2 lost me before the first month was done.

I either need to find a new really great group of people to play with or a phenomenally engaging MMORPG. (Be better to have both.)

ShadowFox89

You should try going back to GW2..... There's major events happening through the entire game every two weeks, including lots of what could be called "standard of play" updates (updates to make the game a bit less annoying like a wallet for all those dungeon tokens and a reward system for getting achievement points). All it takes is finding the right guild, one that is going to be friendly and accepting.

And if you're on Sanctum of Rall, look up "Help the Squirrels are after my [NUTS]". I'd say we're pretty friendly, laid back, and relaxed./shamelessplug
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Hemingway

I've been trying to get into Guild Wars 2, but it's just not doing it for me.

See, I want to play an MMO with competent PvP, that isn't P2Win. I was leveling up in Neverwinter, but my first impression of PvP there is that some classes have very clear, unfair advantages over the others. In other words, it's like every other MMO out there.

I'm also sick and tired of grinding levels. I was hoping GW2 had the same thing as the first one, where you could just create your character as max level, but with limits. Instead, GW2 has one of the most ridiculously high level caps ever!

GW2 seems more limited than GW, though. Maybe that's just my impression, but in terms of abilities you can choose and such, it seems like a lot less of that is up to the player.

Deamonbane

Hmmmm Dead Frontier has a pretty decent PvP thing, although any real game playing or world building is kinda left aside... it can be addicting though... DIE ZOMBIES, DIE!!!!!!!!
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mr L

*logs into RuneScape* as if you need to ask me now :) been a member for years and still love the game.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

MorsusAeternus

I've been playing a hell of a lot of Rift recently on an RP server after having the game recommended repeatedly by one of the regulars at my local hobby shop's RPG night. It's been a lot of fun so far, and will probably become much more so once I can afford to put some money into the game and earn loyalty goodies, but I have just one complaint so far; some of the souls feel a little imbalanced in combination. My Mage is running Chloromancer/Warlock/Dominator, the concept being a battlemage who was brought up in a family of healers and wields life and death magic in combination, and will never go beneath 75% health when I'm levelling unless I pull more than I can handle.

Moraline

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 23, 2013, 03:23:06 PM
You should try going back to GW2..... There's major events happening through the entire game every two weeks, including lots of what could be called "standard of play" updates (updates to make the game a bit less annoying like a wallet for all those dungeon tokens and a reward system for getting achievement points). All it takes is finding the right guild, one that is going to be friendly and accepting.

And if you're on Sanctum of Rall, look up "Help the Squirrels are after my [NUTS]". I'd say we're pretty friendly, laid back, and relaxed./shamelessplug
I think we should have more shameless guild plugging around here. I like it, it lets me know where people are. Maybe if I'd known about you back when I first started I might have joined your group. (I started playing I think a month or two after launch.)

I found one guild that looked interesting, casual, friendly and just fun but I had already been playing a week or so when I started that application.. it took almost 2 weeks for them to finally approve it... (they had a long back and forth Q&A thing) by then - I was tired of the game so when they accepted me I said, "No thanks, I stopped playing." It just took too long, the game was too damn boring without anyone to talk to while playing.

Honestly, it being another fantasy based MMORPG it was already stale to begin with. I have a hard time now getting excited by another fantasy MMORPG.

WildStar has me curious.. but that curiosity is tempered with a lot of unease and doubt.

Quote from: Hemingway on August 23, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
I've been trying to get into Guild Wars 2, but it's just not doing it for me.

See, I want to play an MMO with competent PvP, that isn't P2Win. I was leveling up in Neverwinter, but my first impression of PvP there is that some classes have very clear, unfair advantages over the others. In other words, it's like every other MMO out there.

I'm also sick and tired of grinding levels. I was hoping GW2 had the same thing as the first one, where you could just create your character as max level, but with limits. Instead, GW2 has one of the most ridiculously high level caps ever!

GW2 seems more limited than GW, though. Maybe that's just my impression, but in terms of abilities you can choose and such, it seems like a lot less of that is up to the player.
I got some of these same feelings too for both GW2 and NeverWinter (I was extremely disappointed with NeverWinter)

Anyone here playing CubeWorld ?(I think it's in beta?) It looks adorable, cute, and fun but I'm not sure if it's really an MMO or not. I've only saw some game play vid of it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on August 23, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
I've noticed this too.

In GW you had a total of 8 ability slots, which you could fill in any way you wanted, all offense, all defense, all utility or a mix of them, even picking and choosing (unless you were a Warrior, then you went with a single weapon, and loaded up on abilities that complement.)

In 2, you get 5 based on weapon, 5 based on class, no matter what, and worst, some weapon/class combination sucks.  Like Warrior and Greatswords (as one example.)  There's only two skills, including the Auto Attack, which are useful in all fights, the remaining three require you to move, and/or be at range at the start.

I want to like GW2.  It's pretty, and I get that it wants to try something new.  It's just not succeeding very well.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Hemingway

Yeah, I'm sad to say GW2 is disappointing me. It's fun to play for a few hours. And maybe there are more options than it looks like. Maybe I'm missing something in the abilities and traits and everything, and there's actually some flexibility hidden away.

Regardless, I've been getting more into Neverwinter. I want to hit the level cap and see how PvP is. I play a Great Weapon Fighter, and a lot of people in my guild have been complaining about them in PvP. A lot of other people in my guild disagree, and say they're actually quite balanced, giving a mix of damage and survivability. I guess I'll find out. The main thing about that game is that it's ... fun! And leveling is fast as hell, and seemingly even more so at higher levels. I went from 37 to 45 yesterday, each level taking ... oh, certainly less than an hour. Maybe half an hour of active questing. That feels very satisfying.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on August 26, 2013, 07:04:59 PM

Anyone here playing CubeWorld ?(I think it's in beta?) It looks adorable, cute, and fun but I'm not sure if it's really an MMO or not. I've only saw some game play vid of it.

It's not an MMO (although you can set up Multiplayer servers) and it's currently in Alpha stage, but it's worth the purchase.  Or at least, it was for me, I've found it highly enjoyable.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 26, 2013, 11:34:50 PM
In 2, you get 5 based on weapon, 5 based on class, no matter what, and worst, some weapon/class combination sucks.  Like Warrior and Greatswords (as one example.)  There's only two skills, including the Auto Attack, which are useful in all fights, the remaining three require you to move, and/or be at range at the start.

Without getting into a huge debate about GW2 mechanics, this statement right here? Couldn't be more wrong.

No, seriously, the guys who do the math on this stuff, and warriors who know what they're doing in general, know that Greatsword is one of the warrior's better damage options and that its auto-attack in particular is terrible. Ideally you want to be using the auto-attack as little as possible while mashing Whirlwind, Hundred Blades and the dash skill (whatever #5 is called) as often as possible.

"But Shjade," you say, "Whirlwind goes right through things when you use it! How is that manageable?"

And I answer, "That's why groups push/pull enemies into walls, so a warrior can whirlwind on top of it for all three hits." If that's not possible, you whirlwind through it for, hopefully, 2 out of 3 hits, then #5 dash back into it and hundred blades.

The top dps combo for warriors, at this moment, is Axe/Mace and Greatsword. The ideal rotation, starting with Axe/Mace: 4, 2, swap to GS, 3, 5, 2, swap to A/M, 2, full auto-attack chain, repeat. It keeps a high stack of vulnerability on the target and smashes through the GS combo of rapid heavy hits before going to the axe's very high-damage and fast auto-attack chain (unlike the greatsword's slow, weak, and more importantly slow AA chain).

So...yeah.

Also, @Hemingway: structured PvP lets you start off with level 80 characters with all their tools unlocked and equal gear to everyone else. You can only use it in those arenas for that specific kind of pvp, but that sounds like what you're asking for, at least. For pve/wvw though, yeah, you have to grind your way up, 'cause while you technically CAN go to wvw zones at level 1 and get bumped up to level 80, you don't get any of your abilities unlocked for you and you don't have the stats from level 80 gear, so you are essentially just free meat for everyone else on the battlefield if you do that.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Hemingway

Quote from: Shjade on August 27, 2013, 11:11:13 AM
Also, @Hemingway: structured PvP lets you start off with level 80 characters with all their tools unlocked and equal gear to everyone else. You can only use it in those arenas for that specific kind of pvp, but that sounds like what you're asking for, at least. For pve/wvw though, yeah, you have to grind your way up, 'cause while you technically CAN go to wvw zones at level 1 and get bumped up to level 80, you don't get any of your abilities unlocked for you and you don't have the stats from level 80 gear, so you are essentially just free meat for everyone else on the battlefield if you do that.

I'm probably going to try my hand at the arenas. I'm not that concerned about WvW, but ... still, I'd like to level just to have the option. And there's the problem!

In unrelated news, I'm nearing 60 in Neverwinter. Leveling is incredibly fast when you get into it. It's slowing down slightly as I approach 60, but it's still fast. It has a very structured quest progression, so no hubs like in WoW. What you get is one hub with usually 2 - 3 quests. When you're done with those, it sends you to the next one, rinse and repeat. Generally it seems to take around 6 - 10 quests to level up ( for some reason the XP they give can vary a lot ), and that takes less than an hour. It's pretty refreshing, actually. In just the past two days, I've done something like 15 levels. And as you can probably tell from my troubles with GW2, I am not fond of leveling.

sleepingferret

Your auto attack is like an absolute last resort in basically every MMO there is.  And in most MMOs, at higher levels you have some resource efficient ability that you use instead of your auto attack that does more damage, and still allows you to regenerate your resource pool to use more damaging abilities.

@WingedServant

If you haven't already try some of the same things people did had to do for Vista/7, do all the compatibility mode crap.  Make sure the game executable (as well as the loaders) themselves are marked to run as admin and all that jazz.  Windows 8 may have gotten some "behind the scenes" changes...but it's still Windows...it's just now Windows with a bullshit UI.  So if you're willing to put a bit of effort to it, I'm sure you can go back to playing LOTRO and DDO.

Shjade

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 27, 2013, 07:27:39 PM
Your auto attack is like an absolute last resort in basically every MMO there is.

Yeah, warrior axe attacks are kinda odd that way: the auto-attack chain is one of the highest damage options available for sheer dps because of the way the damage is spread out across the chopping or something (I'm not the math person, I just absorb the information available). The other attacks are just to stack vulnerability (which increases % damage received by the target) before you use that auto-attack to do even more damage with it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Wolfy

SinXAzgard21

sleepingferret

I'm still a Star Wars junkie... mostly because I like the guild I play with.  We've had our share of ups and downs like every guild, but the guild leader and I have a good history and I still enjoy the social aspect of hanging out with the people who have stuck around.

And well, I always have LOTRO as a back up anytime I want... old lifetime subscriber.  So if I wasn't lazy I could keep the game up to date and have a horde of points stashed away and own every bit of new content they've done since I stopped playing a year or two ago.  Oh well, one of these days...I'll add it on my to do list and keep it there....one of these days.  ::)