The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 02, 2015, 10:04:10 PM
Maybe its just me, but the overall feel doesn't feel like the original Superman. I mean, one, he didn't kill. He was called the boy scout because he was good and held to a moral code. Several references called him the symbol of light and hope. These movies feel like the total opposite. Have the movie executives and the new director read any of the original source material?

Of course they haven't or they wouldn't be wiping their wrinkled asses on the comics.

But Superman wasn't 100% boy scout, at least not the one I'm most familiar with. On one episode of the Justice League cartoon, he did something questionable and one of his teammates said they were surprised that he didn't adhere to the 'boy scout' image they had of him, and he said he didn't even earn his first merit badge. So while I don't mind Supes getting rough, I definitely don't like that he not only killed, but he killed the last other Kryptonian.

Superman is falling victim to his own invincibility, though, so how can people help but regard him as a god? It's what makes watching him on the big screen such a dubious exercise. Maybe they figured having him be edgy and willing to kill would remedy that...man were they off by a big margin.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I remember in the cartoon, they did push things a little close to the line with Superman, but he never crossed it as there were others there to pull him back, namely Batman for one. In the last episode when he was fighting Darkcide, he said living on Earth he was afraid of cutting loose. Everything was like paper to him, easily breakable and being able to unleash on Darkcide felt good. But, the one who ultimately took down Darkcide was Lex Luthor.

The Cartoon Network could push the envelope a little because they are a cable network. The Superman cartoon which aired before that, I believe aired on the Fox or CW when they were still the WB, so they had to adhere to a different set of rules like the no killing, can't show characters dying. But, throughout, they usually referred to Superman as the Boy Scout. Going so far as to use that for his codename on Smallville when they did the group episodes with Green Arrow, Cyborg, Impulse and AC. And, it was mentioned that Kal-El was basically a God among men but it was never shown it went to his head like it appears in the new movies.

They have tried to rewrite him over the years, but usually returned to the traditional character form. I think I'll stick with the original Superman movies with Christopher Reeves. While Superman Returns had flaws, but it held true to the character. They need to atleast hire new people for some of the movies. It feels like the new DC movies even though the world has "heroes" there is ultimately no hope in the bleakness of everyday life.

On another note, they released an image of a movie poster for Deadpool. Hearing rumors of other marketing stuff that is rather raunchy, like Deadpool as Santa. There is another rumor that the last Wolverine movie is going to be "mythical".

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 02, 2015, 11:19:49 PM
I remember in the cartoon, they did push things a little close to the line with Superman, but he never crossed it as there were others there to pull him back, namely Batman for one. In the last episode when he was fighting Darkcide, he said living on Earth he was afraid of cutting loose. Everything was like paper to him, easily breakable and being able to unleash on Darkcide felt good. But, the one who ultimately took down Darkcide was Lex Luthor.

The Cartoon Network could push the envelope a little because they are a cable network. The Superman cartoon which aired before that, I believe aired on the Fox or CW when they were still the WB, so they had to adhere to a different set of rules like the no killing, can't show characters dying. But, throughout, they usually referred to Superman as the Boy Scout. Going so far as to use that for his codename on Smallville when they did the group episodes with Green Arrow, Cyborg, Impulse and AC. And, it was mentioned that Kal-El was basically a God among men but it was never shown it went to his head like it appears in the new movies.

They have tried to rewrite him over the years, but usually returned to the traditional character form. I think I'll stick with the original Superman movies with Christopher Reeves. While Superman Returns had flaws, but it held true to the character. They need to atleast hire new people for some of the movies. It feels like the new DC movies even though the world has "heroes" there is ultimately no hope in the bleakness of everyday life.

On another note, they released an image of a movie poster for Deadpool. Hearing rumors of other marketing stuff that is rather raunchy, like Deadpool as Santa. There is another rumor that the last Wolverine movie is going to be "mythical".

Superman the Animated Series did kill, twice. One showed a man being executed in the gas chamber right after he figured out Clark Kent was Superman, and Dardseid vaporized a cop right in front of everyone before he chose to withdraw from a campaign to conquer Earth as the 'price' for Superman, Earth and New Genesis standing against him. But Superman was never directly responsible for it, so maybe that's what they meant by no killing?

Yeah, they have to realize the Dark Knight trilogy (at least the first two, the third was atrocious) was a fluke and only worked because it was Batman. Very few other DC heroes, especially the really powerful ones (Supes, Flash, GL, Martian, WW, etc.) work well that way. But even with all that, they stayed true to Bats, unless you count the 'not saving you doesn't count as killing you' or the accidental killing of Harvey Dent (probably could have used a grappling hook or whatever if he hadn't been shot to break their fall). Taking the entire DCCU into this territory removes a sense of whimsy and hope that comics and their stories have to have. I mean, even during the Maximum Carnage arc of the Spider-Man comics, it wasn't always dark and gritty. I mean, if they're taking so many leaves out of Marvel's handbook, why not that one? It sure as hell doesn't look like Marvel being more family friendly and lighter in tone make them take in less box office green.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

True, he could have used a grappling hook, but Batman was also wounded. Harvey had shot him, and Batman made a choice. He saved Commissioner Gordon's son. Batman is only human, while Superman is a superpowered God among men who can be anywhere in the world within minutes. The gritty, darkness works with Batman, because that is what he does. He lives in the shadows where the evildoers lurk. Makes the hard choices as a Dark Knight guarding his city. While Superman was always portrayed in a sunny, shining Metropolis. Flash is the same, light, and sunny. Which I don't think will fit in a movie.

If they are continuing with the dark themes, it just doesn't feel like they are the same characters if they are all portrayed darkly. Marvel managed to incorporate dark tones in their movies, yet while still managing to balance it with light tones. But, then again, DC and Marvel have been rivals for years and DC is probably of the mind we're not going to be like Marvel, we'll do the opposite. And, consistently, Marvel has been raking in hefty amounts of money while pretty much staying true to their characters and giving the fans what they want.

Beorning

The new trailer to Batman vs Superman is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c

The teaser with "Superman cultists" is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

Seriously, this is supposed to be a Superman? And a semi-Justice League movie? With all that darkness?  >:(

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 02, 2015, 10:04:10 PM
Maybe its just me, but the overall feel doesn't feel like the original Superman. I mean, one, he didn't kill. He was called the boy scout because he was good and held to a moral code. Several references called him the symbol of light and hope. These movies feel like the total opposite. Have the movie executives and the new director read any of the original source material?

Well, some time ago, I've read an analysis at Comic Alliance that pointed out that David S. Goyer, the main man behind DC's movies, basically seems to *hate* superheroes...

Deamonbane

1. Exclusive Sneak isn't the proper name for this clip.

2. It seems a little dark for a Superman flick, but so was Superman sinking into a sea of skulls. Like the sea of skulls thing, it could be a dream sequence.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Beorning on December 03, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
The new trailer to Batman vs Superman is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViIi3gie2c

The teaser with "Superman cultists" is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

Ok....I will say this now. I am only speaking from a DC perspective and will not relate this to anything Marvel.

this kids is how you do not make a movie trailer. We pretty much got the entire plot in a nutshell now.  Bats and Supes will be enemies the first half maybe 3/4 of the movie while Lex is making Doomsday. Then second half or final quarter of the movie, Supes finds out Bats is Bruce Wayne. Bats and Supes realize they have to stop Doomsday and Lex. Wonder Woman shows up the last part of the movie based on the trailer and may even end the Deus Ex Machina on how to stop Doomsday for some weird reason.

When Clark Kent asked Bruce Wayne his opinion on Batman....it was written to the point that you would suspect Bruce Wayne is Batman! Then Lex just crashes the whole thing? I'm not going to be surprised if Diana is there as well having a drink with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. It just feels like they are all there for the sake of the plot. Yeah I know they all have roles that would make sense for them to be at the party but...I don't know maybe its how the trailer introduced the three to each other.

Seriously that is supposed to be Lex Luthor? I am not bashing Eisenberg here, I'm bashing the way Lex Luthor is being written. Its like the drugs he was doing to grow hair screwed with his brain. He doesn't seem....sophisticated and proper like you expect. I like his argument for creating Doomsday and what he said to Lois but...the rest of his dialogue feels screwy.

Plus....I am really struggling with this next part here. Did Superman and Batman raise armies just so they could fight it out in the desert of all places? (That feels like they did it just for the sake of the U.S. current situation in the middle east.) Then after realizing an army wouldn't work they took the fight back to the city where Batman using what he learned about Superman create his Krypton Buster suit for a second fight?

Looks like Wonder Woman will show up the final battle against Doomsday based on Supes and Bats reactions to her. Kinda like how the Vision showed up at the end of Age of Ultron I suppose.

Now I do however have some positive things to say.

Really loving the fact Jeremy Freaking Irons is now Alfred that is a big plus from me.

I do like the fact they are keeping some aspect of the whole Superman vs Batman angle in check here. Superman doesn't want to fight Batman and makes it clear he is deliberately holding back.

I'm guessing the whole reason why Batman is wanting to fight is because he remembers what happened in Meteroplis against Zod and considers Superman extremely dangerous and one bad day away from doing something (Logical like Batman) Maybe the whole cult thing is what drives Batman to create those winged army guys to attack the cultist? Or did someone else make the flying bug guys?

Ugh maybe the point of this trailer is just to confuse people enough to make them go watch the movie to make sense of the trailer. >.<
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Apparently there is another clip which features Doomsday, and Batman wielding a gun?! What?! Batman hated guns ever since his parents were murdered. Even in the Justice League cartoon when Deadman took over Batman and shot DevilRay. When Deadman left Batman's body, Batman was clearly repulsed as he threw away a gun. Doomsday looks like a miniature Lord of the Rings cave troll mixed with the hybrid alien thing from Aliens 4.

The sea of skulls could be something connected to Atlantis.

Amanda Waller knows about Batman, and that only one person has seen him. Which is why she uses the Joker to bait him into coming out, since Batman only uses Drones to do his work according to the Suicide Squad movie. So, apparently Suicide Squad movie is technically supposed to be the first appearance of Batman.

There was an article earlier this year which came out around the time of the San Diego comic con. Apparently Jesse Eisenberg who plays Lex Luthor absolutely hated the fan experience and likened it to a holocaust or something to that affect. According to another report, when Jesse Eisenberg signed on to the movie, they went back and rewrote a major portion of it. And, he probably got executive producer credit which allows him to have an input in the script development.

CaptainNexus616

The gun thing actually makes sense my money is on it being some kind of Kryptonite thing Bat's threw together after his Krypton Buster suit didn't work. My bet is Bat's will be zapping Doomsday with it while Wonder Woman and Superman beat Doomsday to death.

As for Doomsday...a lot of people over on Youtube are saying he's related to the Bay Ninja Turtles.....he's the ugly duckling they never talk about lol
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Unless it is a suped up taser, Batman wielding a gun to harm a foe seems out of character. In another Justice League episode when Batman, Wonder Woman and GL were stuck in the old west, GL asked him if he wanted the six-guns, and Bruce declined saying he didn't need them. Dunno, there is alot that doesn't make sense in the movie.

CaptainNexus616

Well Batman's....rule on non-killing is a little specific. In the Superman-Batman Apocalypse movie when an army of Doomsdays attacked Themscyria, one of the Amazonians tossed Batman an Axe and he went to town on them with everyone else.

In the very first episode of the Justice League cartoon which was connected with both Batman Beyond and the animated series from the 90's, Batman was able to reverse the Ion charge of the White Martian's smoke machine and melted (Killed) several of them in the process.

Sometimes that no killing rule only relates to humans and those who look like them or close in behavior.

Besides like I said its probably a Kryptonite gun but will only weaken Doomsday and not actually kill him.

Inkidu

Quote from: RedPhoenix on December 03, 2015, 07:52:23 PM
Batman did use a gun in the dark knight returns, but it was a really big deal, and he was old and dying and all that.
Well... that and [unsavory impolite things about Frank Miller here]. >:(

I do not much care for Miller's take (read: bastardization) of Batman.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Skynet

I will admit, I first found out about the latest trailer via a reaction from Angry Joe (game reviewer guy), and that might have colored my preconceptions.

I was sort of underwhelmed by the appearance of Doomsday, in that it sort of felt misleading given that the title is Batman Vs Superman.  I'd actually be interested in seeing who would win in a fight, sort of like those nerdy arguments you'd have with friends in your childhood years (and adulthood, too!).

I feel that Doomsday could look cooler, too.  Like in the 90s Justice League cartoon and many comics he had big spike growths on his body and stuff.  The ones on here look like little nubs.

Deamonbane

Anyone else kinda.... disappointed with the season finale of Jessica Jones? The final face-off, in particular?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Beorning

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 04, 2015, 10:55:08 AM
Anyone else kinda.... disappointed with the season finale of Jessica Jones? The final face-off, in particular?

No spoilers, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deamonbane

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 04, 2015, 10:55:08 AM

Meh could have been better. The pacing of the story is what irked me the most. The pacing was good at first but then towards the last couple of episodes it...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They could have done without Hogarth letting Kilgrave go just because she wanted out of her marriage she ruined and then that idiot Robin deciding to let him go when she didn't even have 10 percent of the facts. I swear I never thought I would hate a character in the MCU more than Justin Hammer on the basis the character is just plain awful in design and execution. Then there was Simpson (I felt like he was the discounted Captain America with how they made him look) who just went straight up crazy and further screwed things up. Things ran smoother at the start but then too many subplots were involved

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 04, 2015, 01:41:33 PM
Meh could have been better. The pacing of the story is what irked me the most. The pacing was good at first but then towards the last couple of episodes it...

They could have done without Hogarth letting Kilgrave go just because she wanted out of her marriage she ruined and then that idiot Robin deciding to let him go when she didn't even have 10 percent of the facts. I swear I never thought I would hate a character in the MCU more than Justin Hammer on the basis the character is just plain awful in design and execution. Then there was Simpson (I felt like he was the discounted Captain America with how they made him look) who just went straight up crazy and further screwed things up. Things ran smoother at the start but then too many subplots were involved

True, too many subplots, too much happening in the end to distract from the finale, with Hogarth, Simpson (A character that felt half-assed through the entire series, honestly), and that girl and Malcolm. It's like they got so worked up building the second season, they forgot to end the first on a satisfying note. And then the final clash just felt... dunno, half-assed. Like they remembered at the last minute," Crap, we need to put some kind of ending to this, don't we?"

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 04, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
True, too many subplots, too much happening in the end to distract from the finale, with Hogarth, Simpson (A character that felt half-assed through the entire series, honestly), and that girl and Malcolm. It's like they got so worked up building the second season, they forgot to end the first on a satisfying note. And then the final clash just felt... dunno, half-assed. Like they remembered at the last minute," Crap, we need to put some kind of ending to this, don't we?"

That's why it would have been better at an 8-episode (or similarly short) run length. No extraneous characters acting so foolishly you could pull your hair out in exasperation, no Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote style failures to capture the quarry, trimming the fatty subplots that weren't palatable, and narrowing the overall scope so the ending could be less of a 'finally' and more of a 'here it is!'

CaptainNexus616

Ok I know this technically isn't a movie but it seems Telltale Games (Walking Dead game) is making a Batman game....I do not know how I feel about this yet.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 04, 2015, 07:20:39 PM
Ok I know this technically isn't a movie but it seems Telltale Games (Walking Dead game) is making a Batman game....I do not know how I feel about this yet.

I bought a cheap used copy of Arkham Asylum but haven't played it yet. Not really looking to get any further into any new Batman games at the moment.

I was so turned off by the new BvS trailer, I'm seriously not going to see it now. They officially gave me enough information to know for sure that I'm not going to enjoy it. I mean, I know Captain America: Civil War's plot is basically already laid out in front of everyone but at least their trailer is being a little more subtle than that. Seeing Doomsday in BvS basically makes the entire story moot and also makes me wonder just what the hell Bats thinks he's going to be able to do to help. But that scene with Luthor was just...sorry, can't stand it. Made my skin crawl. And that hair, really? Does he think it looks good? Do the casting/wardrobe people think it looks good?

CaptainNexus616

To be fair DC is really at a disadvantage from the start since they do not have their own setup like Marvel does. DC movies have to go through Warner Bros and if they want to do something well DC really has little say in the matter. Hence the whole reason why Marvel worked on establishing their own thing for the MCU. Marvel Studios while still answering to Disney grants a lot more freedom for Marvel to do their own thing.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 07, 2015, 07:42:18 AM
To be fair DC is really at a disadvantage from the start since they do not have their own setup like Marvel does. DC movies have to go through Warner Bros and if they want to do something well DC really has little say in the matter. Hence the whole reason why Marvel worked on establishing their own thing for the MCU. Marvel Studios while still answering to Disney grants a lot more freedom for Marvel to do their own thing.

But that's their fault for starting with an ensemble hero movie instead of giving everyone in the Justice League who is worthwhile their own movie/reboot. I mean, yes, Batman and Superman are household names and that's not necessarily a bad thing (though Batman's own solo movie would probably have been a better idea to do before BvS) but now there's Wonder Woman in it for some inexplicable reason, among others rumored. Lex Luthor is going way too cartoon-y for this supposedly dark and serious tone they're trying to establish. It's just a matter of, do they want a potentially big payoff now but risking alienating viewers in future outings by not doing the best they possibly can, or do they want to take time and care like Marvel did, and slowly build a huge profit over several years by making people care about them doing really well-crafted solo films to justify the ensemble ones? If anything they have an advantage because they've seen Marvel make this work and yet their scheme to imitate the MCU's success has somehow translated into a fast track, which is them being presumptuous and more likely wrong than right. That campy Lex Luthor stuff was fine in the Christopher Reeve era, but now it undermines his potential to be as dark as Heath Ledger's Joker, which is one of the greatest villains of all time. It's like they don't even know what they want to do with the DCCU and it shows.

Man of Steel was not the Superman people were used to and it very clearly polarized audience response. That dark tone that made Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy didn't translate to anyone other than Batman, apparently. This is why the MCU tries to use as many different directors as possible in response to films don't do as good as expected. Iron Man 2's poor reception got Favreau out of favor and they brought in a new guy for Iron Man 3 which unfortunately ended up being even worse. Captain America the First Avenger's director was replaced for the sequel and they did so well that the brothers are now being given the reins to several more projects. Now, why didn't WB/DC think, "Hmm, Man of Steel wasn't as warmly received as it should have been, maybe Snyder's not the guy for BvS or anything else for the time being". It just smacks of having no idea what they want or what they're really doing.

SapphireStar

DC has long had a partnership with Warner Bros. Most of DC movies are exclusive to Warner Bros, unlike Marvel which had sold off rights to various titles in the past, like X-Men and Fantastic Four to Fox. The problem is the people in charge. Not everyone stays, leadership changes and with those changes come new restructuring and new ways to try to make money. By trying to make the movies dark and gritty isn't translating well. That works with Batman. Maybe some of Wonder Woman given that she is an Amazonian Warrior Princess raised during the time of the Gods. They've pretty much shown the whole movie in those brief teasers and trailers.

Now, it is being reported that the Flash will make an appearance in Batman V. Superman. Why not add the Green Lantern too? And, Martian Manhunter.

deadmanshand

Martian Manhunter was stated quite a while ago to potentially be in the movie.