[Red Hand of Doom] Chapter 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Started by Jeramiahh, October 15, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Near the western edge of the peaceful Elsir Vale, along the Dawn Way, on the south side of, and one of the only easy crossings for, the Elsir river, which holds back the Witchwood from the civilized lands, near the foot of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains, there lies the small, unassuming community of Drellin's Ferry. A town of a little more than a thousand souls, it's a pleasant farming community... and soon to be the site of a terrible disaster. But not for a couple of weeks, at the least.

It's hot. Midsummer has hit the Vale, and the air is hot and still. The route along the Dawn Way is quite monotonous; endless small hills, farms, and dusty, flyspeck towns. It's but a few miles from Drellin's Ferry, the last bastion of civilization before the Way crosses into the Witchwood. The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. Anyone traveling the road has passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels.. wrong. An overturned cart sits, in the middle of the road, and it looks like there's a body, slumped next to it, reins scattered, but no sign of the horse, that must've broken free.

(Perception check, DC 12: You spot a glint of metal, off in the woods, and then another, nearby; some group is waiting in ambush!)
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra is simply walking along the road to Drelin's Ferry when she catches sight of the body. She also notices the impending ambush, and moves herself into a position of safety before she and the others can be attacked.

Roll Result: Lyra rolled: 1d20, adding 9 to the total; Comment: Perception Check Red Hand of Doom; Result: 19, Total: 28

Lyra had been traveling for days now. The girl was always between towns, always moving forward to new places and meeting new people. It wasn't that Lyra didn't want to settle down somewhere, it's just that her compulsions wouldn't let her. It was on this hot and parched day that she traveled towards Drelin's Ferry, the next in a long list of small townships and villages she would visit over the course of her wanderings.

A body. Her sharp, green eyes saw it instantly, but her mind processed it a bit differently than others might. She wasn't really concerned with the well-being of the hurt individual; it didn't matter so much if the person was already dead or not. In a more private setting, things might be different. But on a busy road, with so many people milling about, she would only be teased by investigating.

Curiousity killed the cat,
Lyra chided herself as she moved over to towards the ruined cart. The axle was broken, and one wheel hung at an unnatural angle; it reminded her of a badly broken bone, the way it hung there, limp and useless. The body! Lyra wondered what sort of injuries it had sustained. Would there be blood? A lot of blood? She could already see more people milling about, and a carriage was approaching. I can't appear too interested, she scolded herself.

"Is...is everyone okay?" she asked, her countenance very sweet and innocent. "I...I know a little bit about caring for the wounded. Is this person hurt, do you know?" she asked of another passerby. Kneeling down, she let her hand wander to the body. If she could just feel for a pulse...just know if the person lying there was alive, or already dead...that would be enough to let her move on. For some reason, she just needed to know.

That's when she saw the glint of metal in the woods nearby. Lyra's mind became alarmed, and her eyes searched all about for signs of trouble. This wasn't right. None of this was right, and the more she considered it, the more she became determined that she and the others around her were in danger.

A carriage approached the scene, and she moved for the cover of the great wooden coach as soon as she could do so without arousing suspicion.
"Come into my parlor," said the spider, ever sly.
"I have these sexy, long legs, and I'd love to suck you dry!"

Ons & Offs - My Idea Thread [F/F]

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I giggle and snuggle into Tahline, since we have the entire carriage to ourselves.  Another world, another party just waiting to be found.  Somewhere, I was certain.  I admired my dear sister, gazing on her with an almost proprietary air.  She was tall, with a voluptuous form, curly copper tresses, and milky white skin.  Of course, I was more interested in her coiling, thin tail, with the slightly larger tip at the moment.  My twin was gorgeous, and I knew that my looks matched hers.  The only difference was her jade eyes, compared to my emerald ones.  At the moment I was luxuriating in her touch through my thin red and black robes.  Well...I suppose that it could be classified as a dress, but it was a sort of cross between the the two.

I opened my mouth to say something, but stopped, frowning, as the plush carriage slowed.  I speak to Tahline, then call out to Brenda, the driver. "I wonder what has happened, sis?  Shall we see?  Brenda!  What's going on?  Why are we slowing down?"

Poking my head through the window of the carriage, I see the cart and body, and right as I pull my head back inside, I see the glitter of metal ahead of us.  I pull my head back in and speak tightly to Tahline, casting a pair of spells on her if I have time. "A body and wrecked cart, dear, and I saw glittering metal in the woods.  Shall we dissuade any attackers?"

((Perception, 14+0=14, Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength, in that order.))

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nuzzle gently against Caline's ear, giggling breathily against the gentle, beautiful curve of her ear, tracing it as it ascended to it's delicate point.  My tail, at the same time, trails gently up and down her leg warmly.  So many, many thoughts run through my mind, alas, the carriage was a poor place for many of them.  And given we were on the road, we certainly were not about to expose ourselves.  It was so much fun, though, to tease and caress through clothing.

I give a slightly sigh as she becomes distracted by the slowing, my tail withdrawing to it's more usual position as she speaks with the driver.  A body?  And people examining it?  Interesting...I poke my head out the other window and glance around a moment myself, tail entwining with hers as they meet in the middle.

I withdraw back inward as she does, quirking a brow to her.  "Ooo!  Brigands?  How do I look?"

((Perception:  9 + 14 = 23))
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

It had been days since she found them. Strange tracks in her forest. It was Lakota who first spotted them, growling the way she does when she finds something that doesn't belong. It didn't make Aerynnel at all happy to see them for it meant that she might again be forced to purge the danger strangers invariably brought. Could this be the reason for her recent unease? She barely slept as of late, always waking in a fit from the nightmares. She decided to seek out the cause of her unrest, but first she had to rid the woods of these trespassers, and keep her family safe.

Beside the road leading to Drellin's Ferry, Aerynnel knelt, studying the tracks which suddenly ended there. She frowned at the thought of losing the trail. Her gaze followed the length of the road as a carriage passed by. Aeryn's furry white companion softly growled as they both spotted the overturned cart, and what was that next to it? Placing a hand on Lakota's back, Aerynnel attempted to soothe the animal. "I see it, girl. Easy now," she cooed. "Let's be smart about this and not run headlong into something we can't get out of..." Something caught her eye, the glint of metal, half-blinding her as the sun reflected off of it. She and Lakota looked at each other as they both ducked low. Aerynnel hoped they hadn't been seen. Not yet, Lakota. Let's see what's going on first. Raising her head up slightly, she watched from a distance.

[Perception: 19 +14 = 33]

DreadD

Martel slid  over the path, keeping to herself.  She had been learning it was...  Best to keep to herself.

She had been feeling a little...  Lonely lately, a little put out.  She knew when she left her tribe that the outside world would not embrace her anywhere near so tightly as her friends, family, and others had.  She had known that things would be trying at times, but she had not been ready for the ostracization, the cold words so many met her with.  Though her ample, bare chest frequently caught the eyes of various human and humanoid men, a few seeming to cast sidelong glances at her pale blue skin, those hints of lust were the only sign of interest or, commonly, kindness she received as she had moved into this area.

She scowled, slightly, running a hand through her black hair, tied back so as not to drift into her eyes as she traveled.  She moved unarmed, unarmored, and many had considered her weak for it.  She had taught them better, the skills, the powers that had been granted to her by the village shaman's tutelage had proved more than a match for many who had lashed out against her for being different, for being strange.

Was she really so strange?

The snake woman's hand drifted down along her own torso, feeling the scales that speckled it irregularly, drifting down to where most humans would have legs.  She did not, she had a long, serpentine body, covered completely in deep purple scales.  As she traveled she 'stood' less than five feet tall, but she could draw herself to a significantly greater height, she looked up at the road, and then back at her bracelets, leather set with metal studs, made with symbols of her people, symbols for protection. 

Her dark eyes of green looked up then, scanning the road, her instincts not letting her leave herself unguarded, even in times of such self reflection.  There were other people on the road, a carriage, and...  Another one, fallen by the roadside.  A sign of trouble, though trouble past or present?  She discarded her worries, she would need to be on her guard, and she drew her body up, gaining a foot in height to have a better vantage point, to scan the surroundings.

She frowned softly as she saw the metal.  Whether the fallen cart was a previous victim, or something they had orchestrated to slow down their victims, it seemed there were folk most unpleasant lurking in the woods.  She began to move slowly forward, toward the others, it seemed some of them had spotted the bandits, but she was not certain about those in the carriage.  Though they might treat her poorly, she was not the sort to simply let others be assaulted alone or unawares, she would support these people in the struggle to come.

(Check: Roll Result: Martel rolled: 1d20, adding 8 to the total: Result: 18, Total: 26)

Jeramiahh

Seeing that their ambush had already been spotted, the largest of the hobgoblins in hiding gives a mighty battlecry, ordering his men to attack. Two hobgoblins, one carrying a pair of vicious-looking short swords, and a cleric, rush out of the abandoned farmhouse, while the sound of arrows being drawn can be heard from around them. In addition, a pair of hellhouds, hiding on opposite sides of the road, near the cart, reveal themselves.

Those with Perception checks over 25 will note 6 more hobgoblins, waiting at a nearby camp, deeper in the woods off the road, waiting for the call of battle before they grab their weapons and make ready to engage.

Initiative! The hobgoblins will act on a 18, their leader on a 21, the cleric on a 15, and the hell hounds on a 11. Those on the roadway, there's a slight slope upward, before you reach the woods, where the archers are hiding, just a few feet in; the hounds, cleric, and leader are the closest targets.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

ShamshielDF

Ons and offs!
A&A

Alluistras

[Aerynnel Init Roll: 4 +2 = 6; (not sure if pets get their own or if they share, correct me if I'm wrong here, Lakota Init Roll: 17 +3 = 20]

Faeylin

Roll Result: Lyra rolled: 1d20, adding 6 to the total; Comment: Initiative Check; Result: 1, Total: 7

Jeramiahh

(Since DreadD's character is at least a round out, I'll skip him, until he can get an init roll in... Battle order will be, until he's added, leader, hobgoblins, Tahline, cleric, hellhounds, Lyra, Aerynnel, and Caline.)

As Lyra was the closest target, and dangerously close to a hellhound, the dual-wielding, brutish hobgoblin charges her, first, giving a triumphant battle cry. "For the Red Hand!"

(18 to hit, 9 damage. You are not flat-footed, as you were ready for the ambush; no one is.)

DreadD

(Well, I guess I'll be taking my sweet time as I slither up towards the group: Roll Result: Martel rolled: 1d20, adding 2to the total Comment: Initiative Result: 5, Total: 7)

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I take my sword from it's hook next to my door, easily slipping it through my belt and checking to make sure everything else is in place.  Belt, boots, straps, corset...everything seems to be good, I give a quick nod, standing in front of my door.  "Quickly, dear sister...they've begun!"

((Grabbing weapon and getting ready to jump out next round, waiting for Caline to cast at least one spell before exiting))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The hellhounds, while being fairly intelligent, are not known for being kind; One lunges for Lyra, teeth snapping, the other charges the carriage, and attempts to bash down the door.

(19 to hit Lyra, 7 damage. 13 to hit the door, 9 physical, +3 fire. It buckles, but holds.)

The cleric invokes some of his magic, and vanishes from sight. The hobgoblins rain arrows down, mostly avoiding Lyra, as she's engaged in melee, mainly aiming for the carriage driver and the guard, not wanting to ruin a perfectly good horse.

(5 hits between them...  the driver's unconscious, the guard's injured.)

Faeylin

Free Action: Lyra speaks. Reposting because I'm silly. Further action on it's way.

The woman screams as the hobgoblin tears into her. "Please, I submit. Take me prisoner! I submit," she cries out, pleading for mercy.

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra is running away for the moment. She's vastly outnumbered and has no idea what kind of help she can expect from the carriage or elsewhere. If she can withdraw (not sure where everyone is standing) without provoking a single attack of opportunity, Lyra moves 60 feet away from the carriage, running opposite the archers and the ambush. She would like to end in a spot that provides cover/concealment, like a forested area. If she would provoke attacks of opportunity even while withdrawing, she eats them and runs 120 feet away as a full round action, again aiming for something that gives her plenty of cover to hide in (preferably a forested area)

Lyra

They came from everywhere and nowhere all at once. Bestial hobgoblins and demonic hellhounds. She even tried to beg for mercy, but they still attacked her. They're out for blood. My blood, and I'd much rather keep it inside of me. She dodged a lunge, tried to fend off a bite, and that's when she came to her conclusion. There were more of them than there were of her, and if she stayed here for very long at all, she'd soon be dead.

Lyra tried to avoid the next incoming attack, and then she turned and fled from the ambush. Running as fast as she could, she aimed for some kind of cover. Trees, a hill, something she could duck behind when the next round of arrows rained down on them all. She wasn't quite yet certain if she was coming back to the scene of the fight. If I do, it'll be on my terms, she thought, as she ran with all her strength and stamina away. Blood dripped freely from a gash in her belly, and her right hand was covered in wet warmth.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Aerynnel motions to Lakota, a silent command to charge and attack the hellhound attacking Lyra. (Attack: 19, Damage: 8, plus trip if applicable)

Meanwhile, Aerynnel prepares a Wind Wall spell to cast in front of the archers (60ft long/ 30ft wide), which deflects any further incoming arrows, keeping the others safe from them.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I swear in abyssal as I hear the cries of our servants, and whisper a spell, gathering the energies through my body swiftly.  And then I kiss Tahline, delivering and sealing the magic to her with that act, and I reply angrily. "Please take care of these...rude creatures, dear sister?  They hurt our pets."

((Cast Cat's Grace))

DreadD

As the ambush burst from the woods, Martel cursed, softly, gliding forwards as fast as she can.  It looked like there was a good number of opponents, and if she did not manage to consolidate with the other people fighting, they might all, in fact, die.  She was not going to put up with that, to be certain.

Her coils moved easily, though nowhere near as quickly as she would like, over the ground.  She could have increased her pace somewhat, had she chose to, but she was not willing to reveal that capacity so...  Openly just yet.

Jeramiahh

The hound and the leader both look frustrated, as their quarry flees. "After her!" he barks to the hound near him, as he advances on the carriage, trying the door to see if he can fling it open. If he succeeds, he grins at the women inside, weapons at the ready.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I frown slightly at the hobgoblin opening the door, "do you have any idea how rude it is try and spy on a lady?"  With that, I draw my rapier.  Directly across his cheek.

((28 to hit (4 [base] + 6 [dex mod] + 1 [weapon] + 1 [higher ground] + 16 [roll]), 13 damage with sneak attack))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The hobgolbin looks surprised, as the rapier flashes out, drawing a scarlet line on his cheek, obviously infuriating him.

The archers continue their rain of arrows, but they're caught by the wind wall, and all of them miss, by a wide margin. They draw their swords, and start heading out of the woods, sliding down the slope, to now circle the carriage and ruined wagon.

The hellhound charges after Lyra, but is intercepted by a very large wolf, taking the bite to its flanks, but avoiding being tripped. It turns and snaps at the wolf, in return, but can't seem to find any purchase on its thick hide.

The sound of chanting, from an invisible source, comes from amidst the hobgoblins on the road, and there is the feeling that this area has been blessed by a dark deity.

DreadD

She darted forward, chanting softly to herself.  Martel did not, actually, need to chant, the discipline, the magic was called upon mentally, but she did her best, particularly when first invoking it in a combat, giving thanks for the teachings of the people and their gods that granted her.

"By words, by writ, by forked tongue, in the name of my people, by the grace of our gods, may the tongue of this serpent become a tongue of fire!"

Martel called out, bringing her head back, and then leading forwards, her fingers framing her lips as a long jet of flame swept forward, bursting over the leading hobgoblin as it worked to gain entry to the carriage, sweeping past it to those goblinoids that were coming up to support him.

(3d6: 8 fire damage along a 30 ft line, Ref Save DC: 20 for half)

Faeylin

OOC: One Lyra realizes she's not alone, she doubles back to take on the hound. She uses her move action to draw her two daggers and approach the hound (preferably flanking it), and then attempts to attack it with her standard action. ((14 [1d20 roll] + 12 [base] + 2 [Flanking] = 28 to hit; 1 [1d4 base] + 11 [3d6 SA] = 12 damage))

Lyra

"They have snake people too? Where did they come from?" asked Lyra in mute wonder. Then she watched as the monstrous creature leaned back and spewed a line fire out from her mouth. Lyra was ready to dodge the fearsome attack, but then she realized the fire wasn't actually aimed at her. The creature seemed to be in the fight on her side, whatever side it was that Lyra found herself on this time. Better put on a good show. Better fit in and play the hero, Lyra.

Now that she had friends, she could turn and face her attackers. Pulling twin blades from sheathes at her belt, she turned the arc of her run and headed back towards the ambush. Not far away, a wild wolf quarreled with one of the hellhounds that had attacked her. Blood. You had a taste of mine. Its only fair for you to shed a little too. As the two beasts snapped and circled one another, Lyra moved up to flank the demonic beast. Watching, and waiting, she lunged forward at an opportune moment; her blade was swift and precise as she made her attack.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

[Aerynnel uses Wild Shape to become a Brown Bear (large animal) 6 HD Speed 40 ft; Full Attack: 2 Claws 1d8, Bite 2d6, Improved Grab (ex) claw hit=free action grapple, no AoO; she gains +4 size bonus to strength, a -2 penalty to Dexterity, and a +4 natural armor bonus (New Stats: +11 attack, +7 dmg, 17 AC)]

Aerynnel inhaled sharply, closing her eyes. The air around her crackled with energy as she initiated the change. A fine mist surrounded her, and seconds later, out of the fog, a large brown bear emerged heading straight into the fray.

The bear let out a loud bestial roar as she ran toward the large group of hobgoblins that had surrounded the carriage.  She moved just behind one of them and prepared for an assault.

Meanwhile, Lakota attempts to finish off the hellhound, snarling and biting at the beast. (Attack: 23, Damage: 11)

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I glare at the goblin and yell at him in infernal. "Get out, you nincompoop!"

((Casting Bull's Strength on Tahline))

Jeramiahh

Lyra moves into a flanking position, behind the hellhound, and delivers a sharp, painful stab to its flank, causing it to yelp in pain, and the wolf brings the hellish beast down, its corpse evaporating into a cloud of sulfur-smelling dust.

The sudden emergence of both the snake woman and the rather large bear spread confusion among the ranks, though the leader continues barking orders, as he counterattacks the woman who dared to injure him!

(The leader avoids the worst of the fire; the rest take full. The leader full-attacks Tahline, Nat 20(18 to confirm) and 23. 11(22) and 10)

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I gasp as he cuts me twice, trying to dance out of the way of the attack and failing as blood is drawn.  I glare at him, switching to the goblin tongue, "do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find proper demonhide in this world?!?"  I draw my sword leftward, feinting a low cut, then twisting upward, thrusting towards his chest.

((Feint:  26, attack: 25, base damage: 9, sneak attack: 8))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"Demon? Ha! You should come work for us, then!" He gives an almost lecherous grin, cocking his head, obviously willing to take her surrender.

The hell hound crashes against the opposite door to the carriage, breaking it down, and snarling at Caline, savagely. The three hobgoblins on the leader's side rush to attack the bear that has suddenly appeared, stabbing at it, while the other three hurry around the carriage, to confront the snake woman.

(3 attacks vs each. To Aerynnel, 23, 22, 18 to hit, 4, 5, 5 damage. To Martel, 16, 13, and 8 to hit, 8, 9, 3 damage, respectively.)

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra heads back towards the carriage, choosing to assist the snake woman. She circles around the hobgoblins that have descended on her serpentine companion, so that they have to fight on two fronts. She makes a single attack against the most convenient foe. ((9 [1d20 roll] + 12 [base] = 2 [Flanking?] = 21 or 23 Flanking; 3 [1d4 base] + 15 [3d6 SA] = 3 or 18 Flanking))

Lyra

The battle seemed to be going better now, and it wouldn't hurt Lyra to be on the winning side. Even if she didn't stay in their company long, by helping she could probably gain something. A meal, some news...maybe one of her new friends might just be her type.

It had been weeks since she'd had someone to play with, and that old, constant hunger had been demanding satisfaction. Enjoy the fighting, Lyra. It was nice, sinking your blade into the meat of that demon hound, wasn't it? The truth was that it really wasn't. She wanted time alone with a playmate. She wanted to draw things out, to enjoy the intimacy that came with a last breath. Later. Time for that later. Have to survive this first.

As she circled the hobgoblins that attacked the serpent-woman, Lyra smiled brightly, her face full of warmth and confidence. "Don't worry, I'll help you," she called out. Lyra out in the world was much different from the creature that lived within. She had no doubts that she was convincing. By the time this was over, she'd be covered in beautiful, crimson blood and they would be thanking the girl for her aid. Lyra slashed out with enthusiasm at one of the bestial humanoids moving in on Martel.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Having dealt with the first demon dog, Lakota charged the second one, biting at its hind legs viciously. (Attack: Nat. 20 and 22 (confirm), Damage: 12 + 8= 20)

Using her teeth and claws, Aerynnel attacks the hobgoblin in front of her. (Full attack, 2 claws, 1 bite, 30, 18, 22, Damage: 14, 15, and 19)

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I swear at the hound in front of me, drawing my sword to attack the beast as I attempt to cast a spell on both my sister and I.

((Casting Defensively DC 21, 14+12=26, Casting Haste on Tahline and herself.))

DreadD

Martel frown as the first of the blades scraped along her flesh, leaving a scrape, but doing no actual harm, failing to her tough skin, while the second blade seemed to strike some sort of invisible protection around her.  She half laughed as she easily pulled her torso away from the third's thrust, slithering back five feet from her opponents, her smile widening.

"My my, aren't you a clever group?  Trying to surround a woman you can't even damage.  I fear I have little more than cold comfort for you, though..."

She exhaled again, frigid air flowing outwards, a blast of potent frost expanding into a cone as it burst from her, just barely nicking the back of the carriage as it enveloped the three hobgoblins.  She had chosen the frost breath for just that reason, it seemed rude to set aflame the conveyance of one whom she was assisting, and one who, it seemed, was also assisting her.

(15 ft cone of frost, 14 damage, DC 20 Ref save for half)

Jeramiahh

Unfortunately for Lyra, the snakewoman is unarmed, and does not allow for flanking. She does hit, though, just a scratch.

The wolf comes up behind the hellhound, flanking it with the sorceress, ripping a large piece out of it.

While one of the claws misses, the savage mauling and bite easily drop one of the hobgoblins.

The wave of ice washes out, catching all three hobgoblins, dead on, shaking them to their cores.

The leader grins, repeating his offer, though he's immediately ready to attack, if Tahline turns him down.

(25 and 17 to hit, 7 and 12 damage.)

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I ponder the hobgoblins reply a moment, blinking a touch, having not expected his reply.  I relax slightly and nod to him, continuing in hobgoblin, "let me talk with my sister...call off your hound."  I turn my head slightly to catch a glimpse of Caline.  In celestial I comment to her, "they're offering us a chance to work for them...wait until they turn their backs?"

((Bluff:  30))

Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The hobgoblin leader pulls his weapons back, though still at the ready, barking a command in Goblin to the hellhound; it moves out of the carriage, turning to face the direwolf attacking it.
(13 to hit, 13 damage.)

The remaining hobgoblins continue their assault on the remaining three targets; two continue to assault the bear, two move to flank Lyra, and the remaining on charges Martel.

(Both miss Aerynnel, nat 20 (18 to confirm) and 16 to hit Lyra, and 15 to hit Martel. Damage is 5 (12) and 7 to Lyra, respectively, and 3 to Martel.)

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I pause, blinking and looking at my sister, replying in the same language, though I mix a few abyssal words in to get my points across. "What?  Why not play along for now?  And what in the fires of the Hells am I supposed to do about all of these people?!  I don't have any fireballs, sis!"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I ponder for a second what she said before responding, "but...it would ruin my suave, debonair image!"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra is going to take a five-foot step back, backing up against the carriage, so that she can't be flanked. Fighting Defensively and also using Combat Expertise to boost her AC (-4 Attack, +4 AC total mods)

Lyra

Lyra had to leap away from the snake woman's spell as she cast it. She barely dodged the blast of frost, pressing back against the carriage. From just nearby, she heard everything that was said between Tahline and the hobgoblin leader. Smart, but she just turned her back on us. If the rest of us don't get out of here quickly, we're going to get killed.

Her mind was cold, but out in the open, she reacted with obvious disgust. Lyra yelled "The people in the carriage aren't worth saving!" Now the three outside had more foes to face on their own . "They've joined with the hobgoblins to save their own skin, the scum. Let's leave them, now, before it's too late!"

A blade snuck in below the guard of her dagger, biting into the softness of her side. Lyra screamed as the wound went deep. "Please, we need to get out of here! Leave them! They're not worth saving!" Lyra almost took a second blow to the arm. Stumbling a bit, she backed up against the carriage, only focused on defending herself.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

The hellhound turned on Lakota, her head went low as she snarled at the creature, teeth bared. The hellish thing attacked, but Lakota moved out of the way easily, striking out at the beast in return. (Attack: 17, Damage: 4)

Aerynnel roared at the Hobgoblins as she stood up on two legs, then came crashing down one of them with the full force of her attack. (Full attack: 16, 20, 20, Damage: 9, 10, 19)

DreadD

As the blade scraped along her tough hide, Martel smiled at the hobgoblin who had chosen to rush her.

"That was brave of you, I suppose..."

The serpent woman murmured, softly, running her tongue over her lips.

"But incredibly stupid."

She did not bother to incant her magic this time, rearing up on her tail, pulling her head back before exhaling ferociously, a jet of flame running over one who had assaulted her, and moving past to consume one of his companions as well.  Lyra had given her aid, she could show some common courtesy and send some back her way.

(12 fire damage, DC 20 )

Jeramiahh

Lyra steps away from her opponents, lashing out with her weapon, but failing to find purchase.

The wolf strikes again, further injuring the hellhound, while the bear savages a second hobgoblin, taking it down, as well.

Martel's fire successfully consumes both targets, leaving them rolling on the ground in agony, burning; only one foe remains, between the two of them.

The hobgoblin leader snarls at Tahline. "So, what is it?" he snaps, annoyed at their stalling.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I look at the hobgoblin for a moment then glance in the direction of the voice just outside against the carriage.  What an ungracious...

I move, as if to sheath my blade as a sign of cooperation before 'slipping' with the blade, attempting to sheath the steel in his flesh.  "Sorry, but I won't work for someone I wouldn't fuck."

((Bluff (for feint): 28; Attack: 24; Damage: 9 base + 9 sneak attack))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Her blade finds purchase in the hobgoblin's flesh, sharply cutting his throat, dropping him, defeated.

The hellhound takes a step away from the carriage, now that its inhabitants have shown their true selves, breathing flames, in an attempt to engulf the wolf.

(5 damage, DC 14 reflex for half.)

The last standing hobgoblins raise their blades against the Aerynnel and Lyra, while the cleric who'd vanished earlier reappears, near Martel, invoking Hold Person on her.

(Martel: DC 14 Will or be paralyzed for 3 rounds. 13 to hit Aerynnel, 17 to hit Lyra, both of which, I assume, miss.)

Meanwhile, six more hobgoblins come streaming out of the woods, weapons raised angrily, near the side of the carriage with the hellhound, dueling the direwolf.

DreadD

Martel shrugged off the spell with a scowl.  She'd been put through much worse in her training, her mastering of the powers she now wielded, and this...  Hobgoblin was much less adequate than her teacher.  She smiled at it softly.

"Well now, I might only know a few tricks, but it seems this one is better than yours."

She said, with a grin splashed across her deep blue lips, pursing them as she exhaled flames upon the caster for having tried to ensorcel her.

(10+7 Will Save, 14 Fire Damage, DC 20)

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Lakota easily dodges the flames from the hellhound and goes in for the kill. (Attack: 15, Damage: 11)

Aerynnel mauls the remaining hobgoblin in her reach, tearing into its flesh with tooth and claw. [Full attack: 14, 13, Nat 20 (19 confirm), Damage: 10, 10, 37(!)]

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra continues to use CE and Defensive Fighting. She attacks the hobgoblin near her, before she takes another 5-foot step around the carriage, so that she is not on the side that the hellhound and extra hobgoblins are on. [Attack: 16 to hit (10 Roll + 12 Mod - 6 CE/FD); Damage: 1; AC: 22]

Lyra watched as the hobgoblins fell all around her. Maybe it's over, she thought, her mind analyzing the situation. I'll have to make a big deal about them siding with the hobgoblins after we're through this. She skirmished with the final hobgoblin as she pondered things through. Every move was calculated, and though she made a weak lunge forward, Lyra was mostly just keeping the creature busy until one of her new-found companions could finish him off.

From the nearby woods, more hobgoblins streamed out towards the battle. Unforeseen but maybe not unfortunate. The bear and wolf seem quite capable. I don't need to present a target, though. I've bled enough to earn their trust. She guarded against another of the hobgoblins attacks, and the moment she found an opening, Lyra took it. Flattening her body against the wooden carriage, she spun around the corner and prepared to defend herself against the hobgoblin leader. One is better than six.

A fine mist of blood greeted her, spraying from the deep wound at the hobgoblin's neck. Tahline's rapier had pierced him, and Lyra found time standing still. Excellent form. Beautiful follow-through. And then those dainty droplets sprayed across Lyra's face and exposed neck. She shivered in pleasure, almost making a sound a of delight. Her mouth twisted into a smile for the briefest of moments, and she stared at Tahline and her kill with something akin to fascination in her eyes.

Lyra brought one hand up to her face, covering her smile; when it was gone, her face registered nothing but disgust. "Ugh!" she said. "First you side with them and now you're killing them? Thanks for covering me in gross, hobgoblin blood. Just who are you, anyway!" Lyra wasn't sure how she was going to play this one yet, but leaving them seemed out of the question now. For better or worse, they finally ended up on Lyra's side.

Do I even have a side? Maybe I'll show that one my dark side, someday soon, when things are quiet and she least suspects it. She's a killer. Beautiful. Dangerous. Lyra met so many people that she craved, but she didn't get to take them all. It was doubtful that she'd get to have Tahline either. By the time this day was through, they would all know her face too well. It wouldn't be safe to hunt the tiefling. Doesn't mean I can't daydream.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I step past my sister, ignoring the woman who decided to abandon us, and then glare toward the hobgoblin mage.  At least, he looked like a mage to me, and I sprout claws and hiss out the words to a spell in abyssal, launching a trio of crimson darts at him.

((Magic Missile to the cleric, 2+5+5=12))

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I invoke the magic of my belt, channeling the energy it stores into myself to heal at least some of the damage the hobgoblin had inflicted.  With that I hop down out of the carriage and turn to look at the woman who had been yelling from outside about us not being worth saving.

My tail twitches back and forth gently as I land, every inch the classic, if somewhat demon tainted, adventurer, appearing almost as some daring swashbuckler of lore, fresh from fighting pirates on the sea.

I glare at her pointedly, "what the hells is your problem?  I was trying to distract him, you dumb bitch!  I thought maybe someone could take advantage of the moment."  I give a snort and mutter as I turn toward the rest of the combat, "side with them, indeed...what sort of adventurer would I be, then?"

((Bluff: 35; Sense Motive: 14;  she's...extending the truth a bit, but not outright lying, she really had no intention of switching sides...at least, not long term.  It would go against her persona.))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The flames wash over the cleric, causing it to stagger, the magic missiles in its back, allowing it to re-balance itself, though it's obviously injured. It lunges for Martel, shouting words of magic, its hand glowing with violet light.

(5 to hit touch attack. >_<)

Lyra's attack misses, though not by much.

Aerynnel easily slays the hobgoblin, shredding it to pieces (seriously, it was dead before the crit, which did more damage than it has HP.) The hellhound narrowly avoids the bite, and coutners with one of its own.

(10 to hit. Sheesh.)

The new band of hobgoblins charge forward, at the nearest foe, which happens to be the direwolf, quickly surrounding it, and striking from all directions.

(3 hits, for a total of 26 damage.)

Lyra's remaining opponent attacks, surprisingly accurate.

(23 to hit, 6 damage.)

DreadD

Martel easily slithers aside from the cleric's feeble attempt to touch her, scoffing as she scorched him with another blast of flame.  She was aware of the enhance commotion on the opposite side, but spellcasters were dangerous, she would finish this fellow off before heading out to aid with whatever was happening on the other side.

(9 damage, DC 20)

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra uses a Free Action to reply to Tahline. Bluff 21 (9 Roll + 9 Skill Mod + 3 CS), Sense Motive 19 (10 Roll + 6 Skill Mod + 3 CS)

Lyra

Dumb bitch? Crude, but at least she's not very good at hiding her feelings. Lyra frowned at the remark. "Well next time, instead of pretending to help, why don't you get off your tail and actually do it," she yelled back. "Adventurer? Could have fooled me."

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra continues to fight defensively, and is going to run away from her hobgoblin, through Cahline and Tahline, and around the carriage from the other side. She flanks the very first hobgoblin on the dire wolf, attacking it. ((Attack: 29 (19 Roll + 12 Base +2 Flanking -4 CE/FD); Damage: 5 (2 Base + 3 SA); AC 22))

Also, Lyra is always acting, so if someone has a high Sense Motive, it makes perfect sense that she might seem fake to them (or as if she's hiding something). I don't mind if each character makes their own decision on whether they buy into her act or not (maybe supported by a high or low Sense Motive skill), and RPs however seems most appropriate for their character. If you really want me to make a Bluff check about something, just ask!

Distracted by her verbal discourse with Tahline, Lyra took another blow from the hobgoblin attacking her. I'm not going to make any friends with those two. Probably best to keep my distance. The Bear. She was a woman before. A druid? Lyra heard the ruckus of the hobgoblin war party as they ganged up on the animal. Their noises were rough and bestial, but she could understand their grunts. They were tearing the dog up, and it sounded like they were quite excited and successful. This is going to hurt, but I have to make an ally somewhere. The bear is much more valuable than...those two.

Lyra slashed at the hobgoblin on her, and then she turned and ran, brushing past where the twins had exited their carriage. "Take care of this for me, would ya?" she yelled to Tahline, as she circled the carriage the other way, coming to the aid of the dog. She jabbed her dagger into the back of the very first hobgoblin she came across. It was so focused on the animal that it never saw her coming. "Leave that poor animal alone," she cried out passionately, and loud enough for the nearby bear to clearly hear.

There was a terrible pain in her side, however, as she lunged forward; the awful wound she'd received earlier began to bleed profusely. It was enough to distract what should have been a lethal blow, turning her strike into a more trivial attack. I really hope this gets the bear's attention, she thought, as the hobgoblins suddenly became aware of Lyra again.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Aerynnel flew in a bit of a rage, ripping the hobgoblin to shreds and ripping out its throat, tossing it aside. She raised her head quickly, though, as she sensed her wolf companion was surrounded and being attacked. She let out a blood-curdling roar and charged (assuming there's a clear path) at one of them, blood dripping from her mouth. Standing up on her back feet, she brings one paw down on the hobgoblin, smacking it hard on the side of the head.  Lakota makes an attack on the same hobgoblin, snarling and biting at it.

[Aerynnel -Attack: 27, Damage: 14; Lakota - 22, Damage: 7]

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I look at things, sigh, and speak to Tahline. "I'll see to our servants, sis.  Call if you need me?"

With that I move to the servants under the speed of my spell, and quickly release a charge of power from my belt to heal the driver, hoping she would live.

((Healing Belt, 1 charge, 7 damage healed.  Ugh, bad roll.))

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I roll my eyes, facing away from Lyra, even as my tail she alleges I sat upon (as if I would!  It's rather sensitive and, I think, rather cute) makes a rather...uniquely rude gesture in her direction.  I let out an exasperated sigh as she runs past, calling out to me to 'take care of this for me', and turn to see what she is talking about.

I glare for an instant at the hobbo speaking to him in goblin, even as I ready my blade, "do you really want to be here?"  I smile, feinting a blow towards his head before the blade dips like a swallow diving across his midsection.

((Feint: 21; Attack:  31 (rolled 18;crit threat, 21 to confirm), 5 base/15 total for crit + 9 for sneak attack; Sense Motive: 26 vs. Lyra's comments))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Lyra dances around the carriage, stabbing the surprised hobgoblin in the back. The enraged bear follows her, a moment later, the combined attacks of all three sufficient to take it down.

Martel's flames finish off the cleric, who goes down with a pitiful roar.

The tiefling's driver is stabilized, though still unconscious.

The hobgoblin attempts to anticipate Tahline's attack, but fails, and she disembowels him, leaving a bloody mess.

The only foes still remaining, the five hobgoblins, and the hellhound, surrounding the direwolf, launch their attacks on the two large animals, attempting to hack them both apart.

(Three for Lakota, three for Aerynnel. All of the attacks on the wolf miss horribly, and the only relevant attacks on the bear are 19 and 22. 2 on the former, 4 on the latter.)

DreadD

Martel smiled slightly, darting around the carriage to see the hobgoblins as the swarmed after the...  Bear and wolf?  Naturalistic magic at work, she suspected, if the animals were not just trying to run off.  Hopefully they would prove to be allied, helpful, if not...  They could be dealt with after the hobgoblins.  She reared her head back, loosing another jet of flame over one of the flanks of the battle, careful not to singe those potential allies that were in the middle of the mess.

(12, DC 20)

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra takes a 5-foot-step and moves into a position where she can flank a hobgoblin, and where she's also not completely in the open. Flanking is her priority, though. She makes a full-attack against two separate hobgoblins (or just one if that's all she can flank), no longer fighting defensively. ((Attack: 25 (13 Roll + 10 Base +2 Flanking) & 26 (14 Roll + 10 Base + 2 Flanking); Damage: 17 (2 Base + 15 SA) and 8 (2 Base + 6 SA); AC 18))

Lyra began to breathe again as the bear rushed forward. The odds were once again in her favor. With the massive animal beside her, they could take down the rest of the hobgoblins with ease. More than that, she had guessed right about the wolf being important to the bear. It'll be easy to manipulate her, after this.

Even though the fight seemed to be reaching its sunset, there were still a few brilliant moments left, before the heat was gone. Stepping forward, guarded as she moved, Lyra found a good spot from which to strike. "We're not gonna let you hurt that poor wolf anymore. You're going to pay for what you've done, you monsters!" she screamed, diving forward with an elegant slash of her dagger.

She used her second blade to parry a retaliatory strike, and then spinning, she slashed at the arm of another hobgoblin who had left himself exposed. Like a warm knife in butter. The blade intersected the softness between radius and ulna, using the two lower-arm-bones as guides. She drew her dagger hard through muscle and tendon, before pulling back to safety. She shivered at the thought of the blow and a soft whimper rode out on her next exhale. Now that was sexy!

There was a wave of flame, spreading over the hobgoblins, as the exotic snake-woman joined in. "Now you're really in trouble!" yelled Lyra enthusiastically!

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Lakota, ever moving, was making it very difficult for any weapons to find connection with her flesh. She snapped and snarled at them, then attacked the hellhound again, attempting to bring it down. Aerynnel brought her full wrath upon two hobgoblins close to her, as she clawed at the one she previously attacked, and bit another within reach.

[Lakota's Attack: 22, Damage: 11; Aerynnel claws the hobgoblin she attacked earlier, Claw Attack to first foe: 15, 25, Damage: 8, 15; Bite attack to second foe: 23, Damage: 22]

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter under my breath at the evidence that the driver had been hit hard, and move over to treat the guard as well, my hand glowing with another charge as I ask. "You going to be alright?  That was a pretty nasty ambush."

((1 charge from the Healing Belt, 9 points healed))

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I frown momentarily at the body at my feet and sigh, turning and casually strolling around the other side of the wagon and into sight of the melee.  I smile brightly, gesturing a mock salute to the hobgoblins with my blade.  I speak loudly, but not quite yelling, in goblin, "now that you're leader and his escort have been...tended to, who's next?" 

((Move action to get around carriage, readying action to attack the first enemy into range using combat expertise))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The bear, the rogue, and the wolf work together, and bring down two more hobgoblins, and the hellhound; only three hobgoblins remain, and they're all badly injured.

Several seconds later, the remaining opponents lie dead. Victory!

(We'll be using Medium speed exp; you currently have 23k, 7th level comes at 35k. This battle adds another 2k to that, giving you 25k total. Yay for exp!)

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

Muttering under my breath, I heal Sylphia some more with my wand, and then heal Christabel a little more, hoping to get her conscious, at least.  Then I look at Sylphia and ask her. "Take Christabel into the cabin to rest.  I'll fix up the wagon, and we can get going.  Sister!  You want to look them over for some compensation for this little fiasco?"

With that I do my best with my minor magics to repair the wagon one bit at a time.

((Eternal Wand of Cure Light Wounds, Healing Belt, and then Mending.  Lots.))

DreadD

Martel sighs, with a nod, scanning over the other travelers.  It was quite the assorted group.  A pair tailed girls, they were...  Peculiar but she was uncertain what they were, or what their qualities were, though they seemed to have some sort of healing magic based on their actions.  They and their driver seemed rather self-contained, which might prove just as well for them, being...  Different as they were was apt to cause them some duress as they traveled, if her own experiences were anything to go on.

She ran a pale blue hand through her black hair as she considered the pair of animals towards the center of the devastation.  A druidic shaman and her companion, likely, the bear and wolf working in tandem.  It reminded her of the shamans from home, a slight twinge of loneliness touching her heart as she reflected how lacking in companionship she had been during this journey.  As well as the unusual characters assembled due to the ambush, she took note of the red-haired human woman, who had initially fled as the combat had begun.  Martel was uncertain what to think of her, she had proved to be a competent warrior, but was her feeling cowardice or pragmatism?  The foes had been quite...  Weak, but at the same time, with their numbers they certainly had the appearance of a possibly overwhelming force, perhaps her temporary retreat had been merely wisdom.

She shook her head, turning from the group slowly.  It was customary to remove valuable tokens and useful objects from fallen foes before burial, to take, literally, some of the foe's strength to increase the tribe's, but here Martel left the tradition alone.  The enemies did not have strength she deemed worthy of taking, and she thought it wise to separate herself from the travelers lest they next chose to believe her a monster, for she suspected her survival would become much more difficult if that were to occur.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

Apparently the others were...markedly less of a threat than the leader.  I flick my blade to clean it of most of the blood on it and use one of the hobgoblins clothing to wipe it clean before sheathing it and moving to the gruesome task of rummaging through the bodies.  It always reminded me of our birthdays, save that our gifts were on dead bodies rather than living bodies.  Mother always did have such a way with birthdays.

Two bodies stand out in my memory, and hence I head for the leader by the carriage, quickly removing anything of worth from the body and stacking it nearby for sister to investigate for magical potential.  Once done with him I move to the caster.  From thence to any other bodies of opportunity, setting their things next to the wagon and stacking the bodies in their under garments.  A few moments of gathering flammables and clearing a space around the bodies, I reach into my bag and pull a flask of oil, liberally dashing the pile with it.  I pull out a holy symbol of cast silver from under my corset, a delicate 7 pointed star wreathed in smaller thorns, then murmur a quick prayer in celestial over their bodies before turning to the carriage.  "Sis?  Care to..um...'enlighten' the ne'er-do-wells?"

((I'm assuming some time in there for others to scavenge any bodies, but she has her two primary targets.  Once those are done, she'll rummage other bodies until they're done.  Then stack them like cordwood, find some underbrush to add to them, clear anything flammable from the area around the bodies and then set them aflame.  She will remove anyone's hands (not literally!) that get close to the leader, though.  Her kill, grrr!))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra watched as the snake-woman withdrew. She's strange. Peculiar, even. But she helped us, didn't she? Stepping forward, Lyra sheathed her daggers. "Hello there. I don't know if you can understand me, but thank you," she smiled as she spoke. She seems alone. If there was one thing that caused even a hint of emotion in Lyra, it was that feeling...of not fitting it; not being wanted. She would later tell herself that it wasn't kindness or compassion that led to further words, but perhaps it was. "If you can understand me, won't you stay? Let us tend to your wounds and get to know you? Maybe we have some food to share?" Lyra vaguely remembered the snake-woman speaking before, but she wasn't certain.

She watched as Tahline rummaged over the corpses, but she didn't say anything to the girl. Instead, her eyes moved back to gaze at the bear. "And you? You helped me, didn't you? Your wolf, it...saved me. Are you a person, or an animal, or..." Lyra had seen druids before. They had come to her village when she was just a youth, to herald in the seasons and bless the crops of the farmers who lived there. She had seen the most powerful among them take the shape of wild beasts, and it always amazed her. The woman seemed similar, and though she had a good guess about what she was, Lyra felt that playing dumb might gain her an edge in their introductions.

DreadD

Martel blinked, turning slowly to face the other woman, trying to keep the look of...  Disbelief from her face.  Not disbelief that she had been treated somewhat amicably, that had happened a few times in the past, more surprised that the woman seemed to think she couldn't speak common.  She managed to wait until Lyra's back was turn before rolling her eyes, but still had to hesitate for a moment to ensure any sound of...  Distaste or perturbation did not enter her voice.

"I can understand you."

The snake woman spoke firmly, her voice was female, but not especially feminine.  She could not keep a slight sigh from emerging  as she followed the other back.

"And I'm quite capable of providing for myself from these lands, thank you, why, are you in need of assistance?"

Many of those who had approached her seemingly in kindness had proven just to want to try to use her for her particular talents.  Though she was not overly suspicious of the other combatant, Lyra's willingness to flee made Martel wonder if the human woman did not, in fact, truly need aid in her travels.  She would not mind the company for a time, even if it was at the cost of having to spend longer periods hunting or searching for food in the woods, this land was not so wild as to be particularly dangerous, other than the hobgoblins and their kin, it seemed, but not so tamed yet as to have to wilderness to hunt in.  She believed she could manage for herself and another, if it came to that.

Faeylin

Lyra was slightly amused, but she didn't show it. "Umm, no, I think..." and here her eyebrows clearly expressed confusion. "My name is Lyra. You helped us, is all. Wouldn't you like to join us? I mean, I don't know where you live but travelers have got to stick together," and here she giggled, turning up the charm a bit. "I don't know much about your kind. Oh, that's not right, is it? People? I'm sorry, I'm just really new to all this." She put her hands on her hips, and offered the snake-woman another smile. "Anyway, you look like a traveler, and it's easier to make one fire at night instead of two...wanna stick around for a little bit, and see if anyone is headed the same way you are? You know, like...for company?"

Alluistras

A fine mist surrounded Aerynnel, and when it cleared, a woman stood there once again. Lakota came up next to Aerynnel, placing her nose in her hand in a gesture of greeting, whimpering in pain and Aerynnel instinctively laid a hand on the wolf's back to soothe her. She didn't show any emotion, one way or another toward any of the others. "I am Aerynnel and this is Lakota," she said.

"Are any of you badly injured?" she called out, before squatting down to assess Lakota's wounds. She watched the teiflings out of the corner of her eye and noted the expediency at which the tailed things were looting the dead. Aerynnel sighed inwardly. Greed is such a disgusting trait. And she frowned as she made a mental note to herself to be wary of those two.

Satisfied that Lakota would live, she stood up again, gazing out over the scene of the ambush. This must have been the intruders she was tracking. At least they would be trespassing no longer.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter a bit as I reattach the door, removing splintering, breaks, and char-marks from them as I cast one minor repair spell after another.  I step aside, helping Sylphia take Christabel into the cab.  The girls had been with us through...how many worlds was it at this point?  Was this their second or third?  I shrug as I ask the half-elven warrior. "Is she going to be alright?  Ah, nevermind."

Turning, I glance at the things on the ground, but focus on the piling up of the bodies, pulling out my own holy symbol of silver, identical to Tahline's.  I murmur a soft prayer and snap my fingers, heating some of the oil to the burning point.  After that I turn, nodding to the others, before focusing on Tahline.  My fingers ran over the rents in her clothing, repairing them with a spell as I ask, concerned. "Are you alright, sis?  For a second there I was worried that he was going to kill you.  I mean...if it was dangerous, wouldn't it have been better to surrender?  We could have gotten out a bit later, you know that."

DreadD

Martel stared evenly at the...  Bumbling?  Lyra, resisting another sigh.

"I am Martel of..."

She paushed, and shook her head.

"It doesn't particularly matter, I suppose, you wouldn't be familiar.  Though I do not have any objection to moving on with those who would choose to travel with me, I fear my overland travel lacks...  Haste, I am apt to slow any who accompany me down."

The snake woman paused, considering the druid, looking over towards her.  For all that Aerynnel was a human, she was also something at least somewhat familiar.

"I have journeyed this far on a mission from the elders of my village.  There should be a town of humans somewhere nearby, from what they have told me, and that in the region around it are the seeds of some...  Danger, one that threatened our village as well if it was not stopped.  And so I have ventured from my ancestral home to investigate, but it seems as though the people of the village may well think that I am the danger, based on some of the reactions I've seen so far..."

She paused, seeing if either of the humans were giving her words any weight.

Jeramiahh

The band of thieves seems to have been rather successful. Three out of every four of the standard soldiers carried a potion of Cure Light Wounds, as well as two on the cleric. (11) The leader had a pair of magical short swords, and the cleric's armor is enchanted (2x +1 short sword and +1 Banded mail.) The cleric also had a scroll of Spiritual Weapon. There's also 355gp, distributed amongst the hobgoblins.

For nonmagical items, each of the twelve soldiers had a MW longsword, and a +1 str Composite longbow, as well as MW Studded leather armor on the leader.

Most curious of all, however, is a large, detailed map, found in the leader's possessions. While it's written in Goblin, and poorly spelled at that, it shows the entire Elsir Vale, and describes what looks like a large force, moving from a spot about fifty miles north of the nearby city of Drellin's Ferry, across the entire Vale, to the capitol of Brindol, nearly one hundred miles to the east.

It looks like a very bad thing.

Faeylin

Lyra listened as Martel spoke, nodding to show she understood. "Well, I'm Lyra. Not from a tribe or anything, but a wanderer, I guess." Lyra quirked her head, as if considering the snake-woman's words. "So trouble? What kind of trouble? I can't imagine that these hobgoblins are that big of a threat...thanks for helping with them, by the way. They could have easily outnumbered and overwhelmed us if you hadn't stepped in and helped." She gave another small laugh, smiling, before she turned to the druid.

"And it's wonderful to meet you, Aerynnel. And your wolf, Lakota too. I'm kind of hurt, but..." and here she clutched a bit at a her side, trying very hard to look as if she were hiding her wound, when in fact she was really just emphasizing it, "...if it's any trouble, don't worry about it. I can probably just give it a few days rest, and it should start to heal. No need to go to any trouble on my behalf. I'm just glad your friend didn't get hurt there. Those goblins seemed really interested in hurting the poor thing."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod once to the pile of burning bodies and turn back to the carriage, smiling slightly to Caline's concern as she begins fixing my own clothing.  I give her a gentle kiss and smile a bit more, "I'm not too bad off.  Your spells made the difference once more.  I would hate to think of how bad things could have been...as far as surrendering?  How could I do a thing like that?"  I wrap my arms around her and whisper to her more quietly, "besides, did you want to sleep with him?"  I smile again and start back to the piles of items.  Time to sort the useful from the useless.

One of the last items I pick up for detailed examination is the map.  Upon opening it I give a long, low whistle, talking in common, "well...that's interesting..."  I look to the group speculatively for a long moment.  The human with the daggers certainly hadn't done much to ingratiate herself.  The...bear one and the snake took care of things rather well, but the one with the daggers...I ponder her for a moment.

It didn't appear they were part of any sort of preexisting group, though the dagger one seems to be doing her best to appeal to them, though I would not be surprised in the slightest if she were trying to gain their aid against my sister and I.  She had already invited them to destroy us once, and seemed more than happy to abandon us to our fates...

I sigh and look meaningfully to Caline before walking toward the larger group a few steps, but staying a reasonable distance away.  When it looks that they've reached a lull in their conversation I gently clear my throat, striking a rather heroic pose, "excuse me, but would any of you be particularly familiar with the area of Elsir Vale?"

((Description:  Caline and Tahline are identical twins, though easily discernible from one another by hair styles and vague differences in eye colors, not to mention wardrobe.  Tahline keeps her appearances to what would be viewed as the more traditional swashbuckler, save that she has a tail.  Perhaps a bit...quirky, but fighting on the side of goodness.  Something along the lines of:
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I smile at her and whisper right back into Tahline's ear, with a gentle hug. "I guess that's a good point, though I was thinking invisibility at the right point would have been about perfect.  Or perhaps an...acceleration spell on the horses.  But I understand your meaning."

I go through the things with her, examining them for any magical auras and setting those aside.  The weapons would be useful, at least.  But when the map came out...I couldn't read goblin, but something looked bad, and Tahline could read it.  Her look made me sigh, and I tried to make certain to look distracted, but I was ready to drop another acceleration spell on the pair of us should any of them choose to attack.

((Ready to cast Haste, Bluff 18+17=35))

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Quote from: Faeylin on October 28, 2009, 01:17:00 AM
"And it's wonderful to meet you, Aerynnel. And your wolf, Lakota too. I'm kind of hurt, but..." and here she clutched a bit at a her side, trying very hard to look as if she were hiding her wound, when in fact she was really just emphasizing it, "...if it's any trouble, don't worry about it. I can probably just give it a few days rest, and it should start to heal. No need to go to any trouble on my behalf. I'm just glad your friend didn't get hurt there. Those goblins seemed really interested in hurting the poor thing."

"Don't be ridiculous, child, let me see." Aerynnel examined Lyra's wound closely then laid her hand over it. When she took her hand away, the cut was no longer open and bleeding, but still bruised and red with irritation. (Cure light wounds heals 9 points of damage)

"You'll live, although it may not feel that way, tomorrow." With that, she turned to the snake-woman, listening intently to her words. Aerynnel was hesitant to open up to complete strangers, and opted not to reveal her own feelings. She felt that this woman could hold some valuable information, however, about these horrible feelings she'd been having of late.

"A mission of your elders, you say? What's sort of mission? I must say that I am confused by your words. You said that your people felt you were a danger to them? Is that really why they sent you away?" Aerynnel pondered that for a moment, waiting for answers.

DreadD

Martel paused to consider the druid's words, a little uncertainly, thinking back over her own phrasing.  There had been a miss communication here, it seemed.  A dangerous thing, though a small creature, easily slain if it could be rooted out.

"Oh, no, my apologies, my words were unclear.  I meant that the people of the village ahead may consider me the threat, as opposed to letting me search for it.  I fear I don't have much to go on myself...  Just a vision, a premonition handed down from the elders."

She explained, hopefully rectifying the misunderstanding.  She glanced over at one of the...  Tailed girls, blinking.

"Though I fear I know this area not at all, just that the town ahead is likely the one I am looking for, if my travels have lead me right."

Faeylin

Lyra smiled thankfully as Aerynnel attended to her wounds. "That's very kind of you." She didn't say much more, instead choosing to listen as the snake-woman and druid talked. After some time and explanation, she added, "We can always vouch for you. Let the people of the village know that you're not bad at all...you know?"

Alluistras

Aerynnel nodded as Martel spoke, now gently stroking Lakota's fur. "Ahh... I see. Yes, prejudice abounds in all parts of the world. Can you tell me more about this danger to your village? And your mission?" She gazed at Martel with interest.

DreadD

"Well, I fear there is not much I can tell about the danger.  The shaman had a premonition and a location, a general guideline where to go, I was sent because...  The details remain unknown, it was my duty to discover more about the circumstances."

The snake woman said evenly, sighing.

"I just hope I can figure out something once I arrive, though the danger is great there is no guarantee it will make itself evident."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I smile to the rather interesting snake woman, speaking with the others and nod once, "I understand.  We ourselves are merely travelers ourselves.  The reason I ask..."  I pull the map out, unfurling it  as if to examine it for a moment before turning it to them briefly, "is that it appears our ugly little friends here had more than simple banditry to mind."  I turn it back around, looking it over again, "it rather appears that they have it in mind to guide some sort of large force against the local capital."

I re-roll the map, passing it back to my sister.  "I believe we, at least," I gesture to indicate my sister and our carriage, "have a duty to report this to the locals at the least and see to it that something is done."  I look pointedly to the dagger wielding human, my eyes hard, "or would you rather...how did you say?"  I give a feigned smile, talking in her voice, "leave them! They're not worth saving!"  My voice returns to it's more normal tone, albeit chilled.  "I believe that is what you said, is it not?"

((Bluff: 32 (feigning Lyra's voice)))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra

Lyra frowned as Tahline spoke. "Well, you know, while we were out here fighting, you were making deals with the hobgoblins. Instead of helping me while I was set upon and surrounded, you were striking bargains with them." She pushed stray, red hair from her face. "I do speak goblin too, you know. I could hear everything you and that big one were saying." Lyra rolled her eyes. "It just seemed to me like you didn't really need any help at all. How was I supposed to know you weren't planning to turn against us? That, or maybe you were too cowardly or disinterested in the rest of us to fight, so I figured it wasn't worth risking my life for you."

Turning away from Tahline dismissively, she said, "She's right though. We might want to let someone know that these..." and here she paused, looking at Martel "...brigands are organized."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I give a forced smile and clear my throat, "excuse me...miss human with the daggers, but I wasn't done speaking with you, and I will not accept anyone speaking to my sister and I like that."

"If you do speak goblin, perhaps then you caught that he was the one that initiated the offer.  I was trying to use his distraction to my advantage and coordinate with Caline.  If you spoke celestial and abyssal you may have caught that part of the conversation.  Not only did you take my commentary out of context, but declared to all and sundry that we were not worth saving.  Had the mage taken your commentary as sufficient call to burn our carriage and kill our servants I would...be forced to take rather more pointed measures.  As it was, had the leader scored another hit or two like he had been I would have been on the ground rather than him.  Instead, I did manage to fell him, and in your gratitude you fled leaving your foe to me.  If this is how you work with strangers I fear how it is you fight with allies."

I give a slightly more honest smile, tilting my head to one side a bit, "all that being said, I think at the very least an apology is owed to my sister and I for your vocal and false accusations."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Alluistras

Aerynnel steps between the two feuding women. "Ladies, please! Isn't there a more important matter on which to focus on... can you not let this go? Are you honestly going to allow a misunderstanding to dictate your actions?  Do as you must, but there is a very real danger to this area that transcends your personal differences." And she turns to Martel.

"I, too, have sensed this danger you speak of. It is on the wind, in the sound of the rustling leaves; the animals flee from apparently nothing, but they know."

Raising her voice slightly, she addresses the others. "For your safety, for the safety of your homes and family, this must be dealt with. We must find out more and I see no better place to start than here. Come or stay, but I am going. Balance must be protected." She and Lakota walk away from the group toward the town.

DreadD

Martel looks over the map, and then listens to the bickering females, shaking her head, before turning to follow the druid.  She was of much the same sentiments, though she was uncertain she truly wanted the feuding entities at her side, she likely needed help to discover the full nature of the danger they looked to face.

Faeylin

Lyra

Lyra waited until the druid and snake woman had traveled some distance away. Then the human girl turned, fully regarding Tahline. Her voice was much colder and less whimsical than it had been when the others were in ear shot. "My allies are those who come to my aid when I'm being set upon. The wolf, the druid, and the snake woman all went out of their way to make sure I didn't end up in that pile of burning bodies." Lyra pointed over to the low blaze the twins had set. "If you want me to care what happens to you, I expect that the next time we get into a fight, you don't just sit around talking while the rest of us bleed for your distraction."

Once she was done, the human girl turned and ran away from Tahline, not waiting for a reply. "Hey, wait for me!" she called, her voice sweet again. She slowed her pace after she had caught up with Aerynnel and Martel.  "Since we're all umm, headed the same way...we should travel together. Besides, I have so many questions!"

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I wait, a bit impatient for them to get on with things.  But the replies...well, they made me somewhat foul tempered and disgusted.  If it wasn't for Tahline...I shake my head, bundling everything up and setting it in the carriage, and unhitching a horse to drag the cart out of the way.  I wait until all of them are some distance away before speaking to sis, calmly. "It's as if she expects us to help her, Sis.  I'm half tempted to burn the map and leave, but that wouldn't be fair to the villages around here.  Why don't we go through, warn them, and continue on the way?  I don't know what it says, but we have time, right?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I watch them wandering off and sigh, shaking my head and heading back to the carriage with Caline.  After helping her with getting the cart off the road I listen to her commentary and shrug a little.  Responding in celestial, "oh, I have no doubt she expects us to aid her.  She seems to feel that the only way to fight is with the point of the blade, and has not bothered to learn otherwise."  I give a slightly lopsided grin, "save fighting through manipulation, which, it seems, is only fair when applied by her.  Tell me...did her actions not seem, perhaps, a little...over the top?  As if she were trying to convince the others of her virtues?"

I pull the map back out, unrolling it against the wagon, "I'm...worried about what this says."  I trace the road we're on along to Drellin's Ferry.  "From the looks of this, the road past the ferry is blocked by someone...Ozyrrendion?"  I trace a while further up the road, "this is the one that's more concerning though.  'All tribes muster here under Kharn'.  I'm not certain how many 'all' is, but given who we got this off of, it seems likely they're tribes of hobgoblins."  My finger moves back to Drellin's Ferry, "and it shows here 'attack day 5'.  Now, I don't know when day 1 is.  It may be today, it may be in a week, it may have been 5 days ago, hence running into these...unpleasant gentlemen."  I sigh and roll up the map again, turning to lean back against the carriage.

"I dunno, sis...lets see what the village is like and...maybe we can scout ahead or something...see what exactly is coming.  Something...something about this isn't feeling right.  And given the way the one woman was...I don't trust her.  Something rings untrue about her.  I may be misreading her, but she could also be as much a danger to the town as the hobgoblins."  I glance around the plains around us, "I worry that these villagers won't be able to defend themselves.  This is farm land.  Not encampments of warriors or a rugged fortress on the edge of the frontier."

I toss the map in on the other items in the carriage before climbing to the drivers bench, offering a hand for Caline to come up with.  "On the plus side, according to the map we should be fairly close to the ferry."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I shrug, helping get everything out of the way.  As we finish, I respond in kind, giving her a tight hug. "I don't know on her, I wasn't really paying attention.  Though part of me wonders if she was specifically trying to draw others into the ambush.  Don't really know, though."

I look at the map, identifying a few of the features, at least, even if I can't read it.  After listening, and watching what she was showing, my frown grew deeper and deeper, and I hug her tightly.  Wavering back and forth, I sigh and reply. "I guess you're right, Sis.  I just don't want anything to do with her.  Everything she did, and everything she said...I can't trust her not to put a dagger in my back.  I'm willing to help the town, you know that.  I just won't have anything to do with her."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I giggle and give her a hug and a gentle kiss, eyes dancing amusedly, "you're willing to help the town because you hope there might be some cute girl there that might...express her gratitude?"  I stick out my tongue a bit, waiting for the inevitable slap for that.

"Shall we get going then?  I'm sure our friends could use a rest at a proper inn, and getting to the proper authorities would be good.  But lets not kill the horses getting there?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I give Sis a level look, though tinged with concern as I reply, softly, and not slapping her. "I'm willing to help the town because you want to help the town, and it isn't any danger, really.  And I agree, we should head for town.  I don't want to lose our girls either."

Jeramiahh

(Exp: 1400 each. Using Medium progression, if I didn't say.)

The road continues for only a few miles, to the town of Drellin's Ferry. A reasonably sized town of about a thousand, it's the main route for traders, heading along the Dawn Way, and the last bastion of civilization for quite a distance, going the way our heroes are traveling. Six stone piers just from the water of the wide, sluggish river, marking where a bridge once stood, though it is now long gone. In its place, thick ropes span the river, with a ferryboat that runs between the shores.

At the gate, four townsfolk stand guard, three in leather, and one in mail. One of the men in leather steps forward, as the mixed group approaches, warily saying, "Halt! State your business here, travelers!"

Faeylin

Lyra

The girl walked with the snake-woman and the druid for some time. Eventually (making an assumption here), the twin's carriage caught up with them, though they were not far from the approaching town. It seemed that they were all headed to the same place. Frowning just a little, Lyra spoke up, "You know, maybe we should share this news with the town as a group, since we did kind of fight off the bandits together. I'm not certain on those two, but they don't seem all that bad...not really. Kind of impulsive, maybe a little bit flighty...but capable, right?"

She was describing her own fictional persona as well, and the irony was not lost on her. The guards stepped forward just as the two groups, one on foot and the other traveling by carriage, intersected. She waited to let the others speak for them, content to be part of a larger group...if that's what they were becoming. It was always easier and safer to fit into new places when she was not subjected to focused scrutiny. The herd provided safety.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I sigh slightly as we catch up with the other group, looking them over and catching snippets of their conversation.  I glance out of the corner of my eye to Caline, raising an eyebrow slightly.  In celestial, "do you suppose we can...cooperate with them long enough to sort out what is going on here?"  I smile a touch, "it may prove convenient, for a while.  And would give us ample opportunity to...return any favors?" 

I nod to the group as we pull along side, heading toward the gates of the town, blinking slightly at being stopped by the guards.

I smile brightly, standing atop the carriage, and gesture to my sister and the rest of the group, "we are but simple adventurers, good sir, come to your town with news.  We encountered a band of hobgoblin brigands not more than a few hours travel from here, from whom we retrieved certain items of worth and an item I think your captain of the guard would be wont to see."  I flash him a winning smile, "if you would care to go and fetch him, we would have no qualm with the wait."

I keep my tail out of sight for the time being.  One can never be too certain how townsfolk in smaller towns will react to such...curiosities.

(Diplomacy: 29)
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I giggle at Tahline as she speaks in celestial.  It always amuses me that we use it to speak to each other so often.  But the contents of the speech...those were not such a happy thing.  I sigh, glance balefully for an instant at the redhead, and reply to her softly in the same language, my tone resigned. "Very well, sis.  If you insist.  I am not going to be alone with her under any circumstances, though!  Oh, a question...do you think the snake woman is related to cousin Veradix?"

((Bluff, hiding feelings, 27))

Jeramiahh

"Hobgoblins? Where? Those savages have been raiding the area nearby for weeks... I'm surprised you survived!" "Actually, you'd best go see Captain Soranna, at the Old Toll House. You can see it from here, just a little ways up the road. Tell her about the bandits, and anything of value you found."

DreadD

Martel moves along with the group, nodding to the guards, hoping she would be able to simply pass with them, hoping her appearance and general lack of garments would take minimal fuss and trouble.  She had received too much trouble from humans to assume this will go easily, but she could hope, staying quiet, moving with the adventurers, to be associated with them and left alone.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod to the guards and turn to look at the town, scanning for the building that he mentioned before looking to Caline, my tail moving restfully.  "I think I see it.  Head the carriage in that direction."  I turn back to the guards and give them a slight bow, "thank you.  We'll speak with...captain Soranna did you say?  And let her know what we found.  Be careful this eve...I fear the ones we encountered are likely not the only ones."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"Absolutely, ma'am. It's why there's as many of us out here, as there are. Enjoy your stay in Drellin's Ferry."

A short ways away is an ancient-looking guard tower, crumbling and recently repaired, by the looks of it. Another guard stands near the door, eying the part suspiciously, as they approach.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I nod to my sister, thinking for a moment before twitching the reigns to head off that direction, smiling at the guards a bit.  I whisper to her. "I hope that they are a bit more careful than their manner suggests they are sis.  But...if they aren't, we aren't going to be around long, are we?"

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed human continued to travel with Aerynnel and Martel. Though she did not speak, she overheard the conversation between Tahline and the guards. She smiled at the men once the twins had passed through, and offered them a simple "hello." Then, turning to the other two, she asked, "Do you think maybe we should investigate this old troll house as well? The two girls in the carriage had a map...maybe if we listen in on the conversation between this Captain Soranna and those two, you'll both get your questions answered." Lyra flashed them a charming smile, and nodded. "I think we really should follow along for now."

OOC: I'm not sure if we've become a single group, or not. It still feels like there are two separate groups going on...is that ok, or should we somehow be coalescing into a unit? For now, I just kind of assumed that the two groups aren't moving or acting together. The twins are kind of riding off in their carriage, and there hasn't been a lot of incentive to follow along yet.

Alluistras

Lakota ran slightly ahead at the druid's signal. The wolf kept to the shadows for the most part, scouting ahead but staying in visual range. Aerynnel kept her eyes on her, pondering what the guards had said. It concerned her greatly what they said about frequent raiding parties. It only served to fuel her unease.

Aerynnel moved with the rest of the newly formed group, eager to hear what this Captain had to say.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I park the carriage in front of the Toll House, and quickly move to the door of the carriage, opening it and asking Syphia. "Would you make certain that everything is taken care of out here?  I'm going to take Christabel inside and get the two of you a bedroom.  And us, of course."

The dark haired half-elf nodded and replied softly as she handed the dazed human girl over to me. "Of course, milady.  I'll take care of it."

I take the human and help her stand, in spite of my own relative weakness.  I glance at the others from the combat and sigh, stepping over to the doorway into the Toll House.  I carefully open the door and step inside, careful not to jostle Christabel too much.  I hoped Tahline would get in here and do the talking.

Jeramiahh

The old toll house is a crumbling guard tower, a few hundred feet from the outskirts of the town, atop a small rise, overlooking it, and the river. As the party approaches, The bored-looking guard stands somewhat more to attention. "Can I help you, travelers? Needing directions?"

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter as I realize that the old toll house wasn't an inn, like I expected, and put Christabel back, telling Sylphia. "Never mind, would you find the nicest inn in town and take care of things instead?  Sis, you coming?"

Turning back to the guard, I tell him politely. "We encountered a group of hobgoblins outside of town, and the guards said that we could speak with a Captain Sorana here?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I smile a bit, hopping off of the wagon lightly and adjusting my straps a moment.  "Of course, sis, of course.  Sorry, I've been distracted with thoughts regarding the map and such."  I glance back to the other individuals, quirking a brow to them, "so...are you planning on coming inside, or lurking around outside?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

"Aye, she'll be eager to hear news." The guard knocks heavily on the door, then opens it, gesturing for them to enter.

Inside, the building is in much better condition, although still rather run-down-looking. Stacks of paper sit on a desk in the center of the room, and, behind it, a strong-looking woman, who's likely a capable swordswoman, although, as captain of the guard, has been pulled into doing more paperwork than she ever wanted to, and is looking forward to the interruption to the drudgery. "Yes? Can I help you ladies?"

Alluistras

Aerynnel didn't particularly like being around so many people. It wasn't her way, and it made her uneasy. However in times like these it wasn't hard to push her feelings aside. Information was what she needed, so after motioning Lakota to wait for her outside and out of sight, she stepped inside with the others. Negotiating wasn't her strong point, so she decided to wait for the others to speak.

Faeylin

Lyra

Lyra smiled at the two tieflings as if she had never met them before and there was no history between them and her. "Of course," she replied to Tahline. "I'm just as interested in finding out what the woman inside knows. If this area is in danger, maybe there's something we can do to help." She looked at Leyota and Martel. "They each have their own reasons for wanting to know as well. Why don't we all go inside together?"

Lyra moved with the others in the cramped confines of the guard tower. Even though there was room for all of them, they still stood awkward as a group...not entirely comfortable with one another. Deeper inside they met the captain, and it was Lyra who spoke first. "Umm, well...we're not so much a group, exactly...but travelers, each going our own ways? We were set upon by bandits, outside of your town, and I think these two found something...important?" she said softly, gesturing to the tieflings.

In all truth, Lyra hadn't really paid much attention to the map, so she didn't know much about it; but from what she had overheard, it meant there was danger for Drellin's Ferry. "Maybe if they share this news with you, you can also tell us a bit about what's been going on around here? Some of us," and here she turned to look over at Martel and Lakota, "have some questions about what's been going on lately. Things just...I mean. They don't feel quite right in the area, if you get what I'm trying to say." Lyra stood back, to let others speak as well.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod slightly to my sister, gently taking the map from her for the moment as I turn to the woman at the table.  "Ah...Captain Sorana?  I'm Tahline."  I gesture to my sister, "this is Caline.  The others we've only recently met, so I'm not certain of their names, though I will vouch that they fought well against the hobgoblin brigands that attacked us outside of town.  Oh...on that note, whom should we speak to in town regarding care?  Two of our servants were gravely injured in the fighting.  We've done what we were able for them, though having someone more...trained in dealing with such injuries would be appreciated."

I raise an eyebrow to her, gesturing to the table, "do you mind if I use the table for a moment?  The map is fairly detailed.  Much of the original is in common, though the pertinent parts are in the goblin tongue.  If needs be, I can translate.  The important thing is, though,"  I look at her pointedly, "if I'm reading this correctly, it seems that there is an army massing for an assault that will march over this place on its way through the Vale to Brindol.  I'm not certain when their time table is set to begin...for all I know it may have already started, but it says they'll hit here on the fifth day of their march and Brindol on the 35th."  I set the map on the table carefully.  "I removed it from the...personal belongings of the leader of the group that attacked our carriage"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I follow the others in, keeping a wary eye on the ones from the ambush site.  I didn't exactly mistrust all of them, but I wasn't willing to turn my back on them, not yet.  Besides, sis would fill in this Captain Soranna.  In the meantime, I was going to make certain that they didn't try to put a dagger in our backs.  Otherwise, I keep silent, unless a question was directed at me.

Jeramiahh

Captain Soranna nods to each in turn, as they're introduced. "So, these bandits are more than just raiders? Perfect, more wonderful news." She sighs heavily, although almost gleefully sweeping the papers off the desk to make room for the map.

"Right... as to your first question,there's a shrine of Pelor, on the north side of town. You ought to be able to see it from outside, with the golden sun on the front. It's hard to miss. There's a couple of taverns in town, The Green Apple and the Old Bridge Inn... you lot look like you might prefer the latter." She listens carefully to the description of the map, following Tahline's gestures. "An army... if they're planning to march on Brindol, they're either brave and stupid... or powerful. I hate to ask this, but..." she hesitates, then forges onward. "Can you spare the time to search for this, for us? Our town has been under siege by these raiders for almost a week, and show little sign of stopping, and we can't spare a single man. We think their base is in the forest, at the ruins of the old Vraath Keep, which that squiggle there seems to suggest. Clearing that out might help our city. I know you just arrived, but if you're strong enough to handle those bandits, you might be just what we need... we can't pay much, but this just seems like bad news piled on top of worse." She sighs again, then looks toward each party member. Her gaze is normally harsh, but now it's melting into an almost pleading look; the stress of the situation must be getting to her, even though she doesn't show much, outwardly. "Can you help us?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I ponder a moment, looking to sis for a moment to see how she reacts to the suggestion, giving her a quirky smile of my own.  I resist the urge to giggle at her slight rolling of eyes and sigh, then turn to the captain with a bright smile, "of course we can help."  I gesture dismissively, "I'm not worried about pay overmuch...I would hate to put a town obviously down on its luck and possibly in for worse in the near future out even further by demanding grandiose tribute.  Any assistance that can be offered in support, though, and possibly a place to lay our heads, rest, recuperate and resupply would be appreciated." 

My smile broadens a touch, "particularly if you could persuade any merchants that...preferred pricing would be greatly appreciated?  I'm not going to ask that they take a loss on anything, but knowing that we have the support of the townsfolk and a place to get rid of any excesses that we might come across makes life that little bit easier."

((Diplomacy:  14 + 7 = 21, aiming for room & board + discounts/bonuses from vendors))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I sigh ever so slightly and mentally shake my head.  Damn it, did sis have a sign on her that told people what kind of sob stories to give her?  There was no way in this world that the captain could have given a better plea.  Though I was concerned about her.  Seriously, one cute girl with a pout, and everything would go to hell.  After a moment I give her a faint nod, not that she actually waited to see my opinion, of course.  I consider saying something, but instead shrug and keep an eye on the others.  She knew what she was doing, so far at least.  And if all else failed I'd gag and tie her up in the middle of the night, and then run for it.  Again.  I was not repeating the debacle with that dragon and the fair maiden that it had kidnapped, right before sis had finished seducing her, no less!

((Bluff 10+17=27))

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed girl wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation yet. The captain--a very lovely woman in her own right--was asking for aid; to help the townspeople fight off an overwhelming force. It didn't sound all that self-serving, but she tried to ponder the idea more fully. In times past, Lyra had been in areas and places where war had broken out. All the normal rules of society faded in a climate like that. Atrocities became common, and people revealed who they truly were. Lyra had a special place in her heart for killers, and if things got bad enough, it would become very easy to find prey in the area. Besides, the cloud of heroism could grant immunity for almost any deed.

She stepped forward, her mind cold but her words and attitude full of passionate warmth. "I'll help too! This isn't my fight...not really, but what else can we do, right? We can't just leave the town to get trampled over by these monsters." She smiled at the captain, and at all the others gathered around. "I'll give my blade to see what we can do here, but...just in case we can't stop them all, you might consider getting some of the women and children out of town, to safety. It looks like things are going to get real ugly soon, and I'd hate to see innocents getting hurt." She cared a little less about the rest; the smile that graced her lips after came from the thoughts of what she might do to the worst of them, given half the chance.

Then, echoing Caline, she said, "And yeah, if we're going to be putting our lives on the line here...anything the town can do to help us would be super appreciated!"

DreadD

Martel listened quietly, having calmly followed the others in, glad of the lack of volatile response from the locals yet, hoping its absence would continue.  She nodded as she heard the captain's request.  Unlike the others, this was, it seemed, her fight.  This must have been what she had been sent to do, and so she would do it.  With the aid of the others hopefully it could be handled without the long trek back to her people, without attempting to rally them, and their neighbors and trade allies.  It would be most disruptive to the populace, and there was no way to be certain it would not be too late by the time they returned.  Hopefully the group here truly meant to render assistance, hopefully the group here would be enough.

Alluistras

"I will, as well, assist you, but will need time to prepare" Aerynnel said before making her way out the door. The cramped quarters was starting to suffocate her. She waited for the others, as it was probably best to stay together for now. She glanced toward a copse of trees in the distance. Lakota was there waiting for her, and she would remain close by in case the druid needed her assistance. There was little time to spare, but rest and mediation was required before continuing on. The battle ahead would undoubtedly be trying, but at the same time, Aerynnel felt a sense of exhilaration at the thought.

Jeramiahh

Captain Soranna looks only slightly relieved, but relieved nonetheless. "Thank you, all of you. We can't spare anyone from our city's defenses, let along enough to make it through the Witchwood safely. I'll be glad to offer what supplies I can, as little as they are. I'll arrange for a pair of rooms at the Old Bridge Inn for as long as you're here. I'm afraid I can't speak for the merchants here, but the prices in our town are fairly fair, regardless. I can offer you standard-issue guard equipment, but..." She glances over their equipment, shaking her head. "I doubt you'd find any of it useful."

DreadD

"Thank you for your support, regardless."

Martel spoke up, with an even nod, looking over at the others.

"I am sure we will endeavor our best to bring an end to these troubles, but that will have to wait until tomorrow, I suppose we will just have to rest for the evening and set out on the morrow."

She said, looking at her companions.  It seemed she would be sharing a room with one or two of them on this evening.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod kindly to the captain and smile, "of course, captain.  We'll be in your debt for anything you or your town are able to do to simplify our time here."  I gesture to the map, "do you mind if we take this with us?  It may help us to navigate and determine what it is we're actually looking at as well as marking what we find where."

I carefully roll the map again, handing it to sis to put into the case again.  "Shall we be off?  I'd like to make certain our...companions have settled in and unload anything we don't want to take on the trail."  I pause, looking at the rest of the group for a moment and look to sis once more, "I fear we'll have to leave the carriage...it doesn't have the room to fit the others and it's likely we'll be off the path for a ways."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed girl nodded to the captain, and then laughed once more as the group headed out. "Wow, only two rooms? You'd think they could spare a couple more for us, given that we intend to do everything in our power to help Drellin's Ferry." Lyra moved with the others, and she seemed very upbeat and flighty now. "Hey, you know what this means, right? We get to bunk together! At least some of us do. Just two rooms and five of us?" She went silent for a second, and then said. "I call you Martel, if you'll have me. I'd love to chat with you into the late hours of the night about your people. You seem so interesting and neat!"

As the group moved further out of the old tower, she spoke to the twins again, and more to Tahline than Caline, since she seemed to be the voice of the pair. "Well, since it seems like we're going to be working together for a bit...what do you think about maybe starting over? I didn't mean to be so rude to you and your sister. I was just a little frustrated at being ambushed...kind of in a bad mood. Think you can accept my apology and give me another chance? I promise I'm not all that bad!"

And yet she really was. While Lyra truly meant no harm to her companions, the thoughts that swept through her head at that moment would have revolted any one of them. They were her own. Private. Hidden. She would indulge them only when the others could not find her out. For now, if she intended to help the town, she wanted to do it with friends. While she couldn't offer an emotional bond, and they would never accept her, there could exist a state of mutual trust and loyalty. Already they had each slipped off her radar for one reason or another; she would have to find more suitable game elsewhere.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I listen intently to Lyra as she addresses Caline and I.  I resist the urge to blink at her latter comment, having the feeling that there was something...darker about this girl than others.  Not as dark as some of our family, but darker than most...untouched mortals.  But my read of her so far was uncertain and I couldn't be sure just how it was she was different from the rest.

I nod slightly, offering my hand with a smile, "Tahline."  I say simply and gesture to sis, "and she's Caline.  Sisters."  My smile becomes more...genuine, leaving the rest of our relationship unsaid.  "I can understand certain frustrations...I feared our servants were dead or dying and our carriage was badly under assault!   How was I to know the hobgoblin would take an offhand remark as an invitation?"  I laugh a bit, shaking my head and letting her hand go.  "Fortunately, sis was able to repair the damage to my armor."  I point to where they had been several minor rends in the leather of the corset, the taut skin like new in those places.  And...at close inspection, not bovine or deer skin leather.

I shrug a bit as we walk, "sis and I can stay in the carriage, if need be, or pay for our own rooms, unless there are others that would care to share accommodations?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter slightly under my breath, glancing at Tahline as I speak softly to the Captain. "We'll do what we can, but I'm not certain what all we can do.  Now to get our servants to a set of rooms.  And sis, I'd rather we be on our own tonight.  We need to...discuss things."

I give sis a pointed look with the last comment, looking her in the eyes.  She was dragging us into another mess, so I was going to give her a piece of my mind.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I pause in my conversation with Lyra, looking to Caline as she comments, blinking a bit, then allowing the hint of a blush to show.  "Oh..."  I fidget a bit, uncomfortably, "is this going to be a 'discussion' or a 'discussion' discussion?"  I could tell from the look I'd done something wrong.  Again.  That or she was upset at the idea of sharing quarters with someone else.  She had...strange reactions to violence, particularly when I got hurt as part of it...it was always so hard to tell when she was subtly telling me off or when she was hinting she wanted some 'us' time.  I sigh inwardly and resist the urge to shake my head.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra

The redhead smiled, warming now to the two tiefling sisters. They were strange, with their long tails, and the...well, the rather sensual relationship they seemed to share. They looked as if they could have been lovers and not sisters, if it weren't for the fact that they looked so alike. They were strange, but Lyra couldn't fault them for it. Instead, she just took note of their peculiarities, and added the memory of them to a long lists of oddities she'd encountered on her travels. For what it was worth, they seemed more benign that Lyra had at first pegged them to be.

The group was outside now, and the air of the evening felt good and sweet. "Oh, well...I'm sure you guys could take the other room, if Martel doesn't mind bunking with me. And Aerynnel? From what I can remember, they kind of shun comfy beds...when I was little, when the druids would come to bless the fields in the Spring, and the harvest in the Fall." She leaned in close here, and finished, "Well, I kind of got the impression that they don't use soap to bathe with, much less take rooms in taverns." She giggled, and was about to say something else when Caline interjected.

"Oh, umm, sure! Well I'm sure we'll all meet up in the morning to discuss our big adventure. I can't wait to find out more about what's going on here. If we can really save Drellin's Ferry from a bunch of nasty hobgoblins, we'll be famous around these parts. You two sleep well!" Lyra waved as she moved off from them. They obviously had some private business to discuss.

For a brief moment, the red-headed girl considered slipping back to spy on them, but then she put the thought to the side. If she truly intended to work as part of a group, she would have to give each member a small bit of trust. Besides, they would only be staying in Drellin's Ferry for the night; if she could manage to slip away from Martel, maybe she could scout the place out a bit. She had a nagging craving, and she wasn't sure when she'd get a chance to indulge herself again.

Jeramiahh

As they depart, Captain Soranna adds, "If you would be so kind as to bring it by tomorrow, when you get a chance; I'll have a scribe ready to make a copy, translate it as well, if we can."

Some of the townsfolk look up in surprise at the unusual party passing through, but few stare for longer than truly needed; travelers along the Dawn Way were fairly common, even some of the more unusual folk. Of curious note, the main town green has been churned to a fairly muddy mess, a small lake forming near its center. It seems that a celebration held there broke into a small underground spring, and now the green is a muddy mess.

The Old Bridge Inn seems to fit its name well. The building closest to the 'port' as it were, to cross the river, aside from the ferrymaster's shack, it looks to be quite old, with at least three different styles used in its construction and expansion. It quickly becomes apparent, when they step inside, why Soranna was only able to offer two rooms; the rooms, themselves, are few in number, only seven, and the building is fairly crowded. Three dwarven merchants sit at one table, each eying the others warily, as they share mugs of ale, their guards positioned behind their trader leader, each at a different table; tensions seem high between the lot. As well, a pair of off-duty town guards sit at a table in the corner, playing a game of cards with three halflings, a couple more watching closely, until one of the waitresses, a stout halfling woman, raps them on the back of the heads, barking at them to get back to work. "Look, new customers! Get them seated, or you'll be mucking out the stables for a week, aye?"

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I wait until the others are out of earshot and we're moving into town before speaking in a perfectly calm voice.  Too calm, really. "Sis, what have you gotten us into this time?  Don't you remember the incident with the dragon?  Am I going to have to knock you out and run again?  I can understand wanting to help, but if you're planning to get us killed again..."

Sighing, I shake my head and raise an eyebrow at her, looking her dead in the eyes as I add further. "And I'm completely serious, Sis.  You had better not overdo things again.  And if I find out that you made things more 'interesting' again, well...I'll tell both of our mothers."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I blush slightly at her commentary, trying to keep a straight face for any others that are watching us.  As she finishes I whisper back to her, taking the more 'scenic' route on our way to the inn.  "Look, I'm sure it will be fine.  Look at this place!  I don't think we've been through a place this sleepy since that one place...um...just before Sigil...anyway, it's beside the point.  Look at it, though!  Do you really think anything more than a handful of hobgoblins and maybe bugbears would be around here?  There is nothing for a thousand miles!  Besides, I didn't get us killed last time.  I would never hear the end of it if I managed to get you killed.  Mother would head straight home and give us a lecture until mother finally died of old age and could take over for a bit so they could both harass us!"

I give her an innocent smile, making a gesture over my heart, "I swear to great grandmother, just because this place is so sleepy I think you could ready spells every few hours, I won't do anything to make it more interesting."  I lower my hand again, "at least, not before we are ready to leave..."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra

She entered the tavern with a bright smile on her face. Lyra seemed friendly and curious...perhaps even sweet, but her mind was silently taking inventory of the various people inside. That one dwarf seemed full of spite; angry and cruel, even. Lyra saw the way one of the human males looked the halfling waitress up and down, his eyes full of perverse, lecherous thoughts. Would he be the kind of man who would press his size and strength against her if she were unwilling and without the aid of others? Her mind was always looking, always analyzing for the bad crops. Right now, before they went off on this 'adventure,' Lyra wanted nothing more than to find one weedy stalk to nip out and extinguish. But she wouldn't act rashly.

"Well hello there," she greeted one of the halflings as they approached to seat them. Her voice was full of giggles. "My name's Lyra, and my friends and I would love a nice big table with lots of good food to eat...and plenty of drink! You can't forget that, now can you?" She beamed at the halfling. "Have you got a table like that for us?"

Alluistras

At Lyra's comments about not bathing, Aerynnel merely stared at her blankly for a moment. "Mm, well, you are correct about one thing. I find rooms rather cramped and stifling, and I most certainly will not trap myself by walls. We'll meet again at sunrise tomorrow." And without giving them a chance to object, she strode off toward the nearby woods to join Lakota, moving into the wind purposefully. The scent of pine mixed with honeysuckle meet the others nostrils. She smiled to herself as she walked, she thought she had a rather pleasant smell.

The wolf, happy to be reunited with the druid, jumped excitedly, wagging her tail. This was a typical greeting between the two. Aerynnel kneeled down, wrapping her arms around Lakota's neck for a moment while the wolf licked her face. Let's go find a suitable place to sleep, she thought, and the wolf made a noise in return, much akin to a grunt. They both needed to rest after the ambush and Aerynnel needed to prepare for the battle ahead.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I sigh at sis, and then remind her. "And Sandpoint was all nice and quiet...right up until the local woodcarver went nuts and butchered nearly fifty people, remember?  As were half a dozen other places that we've visited.  Hell!  Back home looks quiet, yet mother lives there, and exactly how many enemies does she have?  This could be very dangerous, sis.  Don't underestimate things because a town looks quiet.  After all, you're supposed to be the responsible one, since I took up magic. Now I'm having to pull double duty!"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I stick out my tongue at her, "I had nothing to do with that woodcarver, thank you very much.  That had more to do with...one of our more distant uncles I thought?"  I shrug at that, "it's beside the point...and of course mother has enemies, its sort of the way of things, given our family.  Hell, we're related to half our enemies, and not by mortal blood for most."  I give her a charming smile, "and how was it decided that I was the responsible one?  I thought maguses were supposed to be learned, wise and powerful...sort of goes hand in hand with some responsibility, I would think.  Unless you're going to be like uncle Sanhiel and just let your little horrors go free in the woods...that always sort of bugged me..."  My voice trails off for a moment before returning with a small shake of my head, "anyway...why should I be stuck with all the dull dreary responsibility stuff and let you have all the fun?"

Of course, most of the conversation was in celestial, so even those that might overhear as we wander about town will only hear the musical tones of the higher planes.  It was always good to make people wonder about what was going on.  Of course, given the nature of our...extended family, it was possible we had some family on the other side of the fence.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I sigh and give her a look of amusement.  Then I drop my trump card. "You're supposed to be the responsible one because mother said for you to keep me out of trouble as we left!  Little did she know that you're the hellion!"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I sigh and throw my hands up in exasperation, "of course she did!  Who was it that was always setting the laboratory on fire, playing with mothers toys and reading the mother's forbidden tomes?  And who was it that decided she was going to be a mage by fiddling with mothers wands and burning down the shed?  Whereas I had the good sense to get into mischief at uncle Sanhiel's house and other places.  First rule, sis...I always told you the first rule was 'don't get caught'!"  I shake my head a bit, wrapping an arm around her in a gentle embrace.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

"Yes...all of those things that I didn't do.  Jut the things that you did while wearing my clothing to cover your own tracks!  I'm a sorceress sis...not a magus.  I use magic, I don't have any idea what I would do with a spellbook.  You, on the other hand, got into everything." I give her another Look, and mention. "Or do I need to remind you what happened when you found the portal to Mother's harem?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I press my hand to my heart, giving her a wounded look, "my own dear sister, so full of malice and spite, thinking I would do any such thing so petty and small as to attempt to pin the guilt for my own misdeeds upon her out of some sense of trying to avoid blame.  I am shocked, shocked that you could think I would be so small minded, Caline!  It was all strictly for you own betterment as an individual so that you wouldn't seem quite so droll and boring to the rest of the family, that you might develop some character and such.  Meanwhile, I developed a persona of sweet innocence and curiosity that mother might give me the degree of freedom I needed to explore.  How was I to know that such a plan would inevitably backfire?" 

I smile to her, wrapping an arm over her shoulder gently, "and how could I forget mother's portal...that event alone was sufficient motivation and impetus to opt to explore the planes on our own.  If only out of mortal fear that mother might realize the scope of what I'd done..."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I glare at her a bit further at the explanation.  I then tell her, very precisely. "I suppose that explains what she did.  You did realize that the next day, while you were laying low, I was tied up in there, unable to speak or move while all of them got to do whatever they wanted to me?  All.  Of.  Them.  I believe that there were at least eight succubi, and about three times that in mortals?  And then mother got involved.  She even re-keyed the portal so that it will let me in now, but won't let me out.  Let me tell you, I'm ever so appreciative...and as such will have to just let you go through the next combat without support spells...unless you make it up to me, of course."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I stop, looking to her with an even more hurt expression.  "All of them?"  I give a sad sort of sniffle, "I was so scared I'd get caught I barely had time to kiss two of them, grope a bit and run!  I..." I sigh and shake my head sadly, "that my own dear sister, sweet Caline, would hold out on me like this..."  I stop a moment, thinking back to the incident and get a truly pained expression, "though...it does explain the smirking mother was giving me for the next week..."  I give Caline a disconcerted look, "do you...think she knows?  That it was me, I mean?"

At her last comment I give her a rather...thoughtful, lascivious smile, "mmm....and what could my lovely, sweet sister have in mind, I wonder...what sort of depravities does my sinful sister have in mind to inflict upon me this eve?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I grin at her as my eyes twinkle evilly.  My voice is sweet. "Of course she knew.  She just put a geas on me so that I couldn't tell you until you mentioned the incident.  She thought it was...appropriate.  And you might be surprised how much of a mess that turned into.  On the other hand, what to do...oh, I know!"

I smile at her and tell her softly. "I think that you need to remain celibate for...a week.  Then I'll forgive you, sis."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I pale slightly at her explanation, realizing how much work had just been shot away if mother knew the truth of what had happened.  So much work to carefully set things up, manipulating sis into saying or doing the right thing at the right time...all of it for naught if they knew all along.  It wasn't fair.  Then again, I should think about whom it was I learned to manipulate and cheat from....

I give her a heartfelt whimper, pouting, "a...a week?  A week?!?  I...you want me to sleep in another room for a week?!?  That's cruel, Caline!  That's worse  than what grandmother did to Sanhiel when his pets got loose at her house!  That's...I mean...mother would never approve!  I mean...think of my needs, Caline!  I just...I mean...can I at least seduce one of the locals?!?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I giggle again, telling her. "No, I didn't say that I wanted you to sleep in another room, Sis.  I said that I wanted you to remain celibate for a week.  It's the least you could do.  After all, we aren't succubi, so it isn't like you'd starve."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

"Oh, you can't expect me to stay in the same room while you have your fun...that's would be...beyond inhuman!  And no, we're not succubi, but we are pretty much the watered down results thereof.  No, I won't starve, but I just might go crazy.  Crazier.  Something."  I stop a moment, blanching, "you...wouldn't make me wear the belt, at least, right?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I simply smile at sis, reaching out to gently rub her cheek. After a moment I mention slowly. "Thank you for the idea, but no, I'm not going to do anything like that, sis.  Though the belt is a good idea..."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I give her the best pout and sad hellhound eyes I can manage, "can I at least wait until after things calm here?  We're going into a tense period, sis, and these people need us...how can I do that if I'm distracted?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I sigh again, and give her a look.  My voice is gentle, and I let some of my worry show through. "Okay, sis.  I can deal with that, but promise me you'll be careful?  Things here are making me very nervous, not the least of which is caused by the fact that those hobgoblins were far better equipped than I'd expect any random raiding party to be.  And that map...I'm very nervous about this, sis.  If we get too far into this, we might get in over our heads."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

Without a word I pull Caline into a tight hug, holding her for a long moment that way.  Fear gnawed away in my tummy.  Not afraid for myself, but afraid for her.  We both knew what would happen if and when we died.  Family was family, through life and death.

I relax my hold slowly, pulling back so I can look her in the eyes.  "And you be careful too, sis...I can deal with things, but if I lost you...well..."  I shrug a bit, looking away, "I don't know how well I could deal with things alone.  You've always been my better half."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I smile, hugging her right back, and shake my head. "I don't have any intention of letting anything happen, but...well...you know I'll do my best to help you, even if it's to my own detriment.  I'll do my best though.  And now, we find the inn and take a night to recover before we get into whatever mess is coming down on this town."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I give her a sad sort of smile and a gentle kiss before leaning my forehead against hers, whispering softly in our native tongue, "I know, love.  Just...don't overdo it again."  I pull back, returning to celestial again, "which inn?  The others are all staying at the Old Bridge, and it sounded like they may permit us to use the other room on our own.  I don't know how they'll react if we keep them up half the night, though..."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I tap her on the nose and tell her. "I am not staying up half the night.  I want a good bit of rest before you try to get us killed.  And remember, I'm not the noisy one."

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I blush slightly at her reprisal, turning away slightly, "I'll try to be quiet, if you promise to be good.  I can't stay very quiet when you're trying to find ways to make me squeal or cry out, sis.  And a good night of rest will be appreciated in the morning."  I smile to her and turn back towards the inn, linking arm in arm.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

"If you make noises, it isn't going to be my fault.  For that, I'm not doing anything to you tonight, at all." I tell her with a sniff, linking my arm and heading toward the inn as well, content to follow along, as per normal.

Jeramiahh

Aerynnel

She will note that, with even the tiniest bit of investigation, that there is a druid's grove, on the opposite bank of the river, tended to by a younger, half-elven druid who manages the grove and the surrounding area, keeping the evils of the Witchwood at bay. It's the nearest bit of unfarmed or urban landscape, for quite a ways.

Alluistras

She spotted it at once. The grove called to her as clearly as the birds called to each other in the spring. The pair became still as they both walked silently together toward it. They crossed the river with no trouble at all, dripping a trail of water behind them when they reached the other side. A calm came over Aerynnel as they entered the sacred place. She closed her eyes as she walked, listening to the singing of the trees and smiled blissfully, as Lakota trotted off to greet the tending druid nearby.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I smile a bit as we wander into the taproom of the inn, heading directly to the innkeeper with a nod.  "One room, single bed, sir, and two dinners with wine, if you would?"  I look to Caline, shrugging a touch before sliding a number of silver pieces across the counter to him.  Enough for the room and the meals with a touch left over for a tip.  It seemed to be a reasonable enough place, at least, and the food smelled good.  The others appeared to have found their way here, it seems.  With that, I escort Caline to a table where it seems most of the rest of the 'party' have gathered.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Aerynnel

"Welcome to the grove, sister," the man calls, softly, as she enters, plucking free a small flower from his herb garden. "How fares the journey? And, please, make yourself at home, here."

Tahline

"Room's on the house," he says. "Captain sent word ahead. If you're good on your word, you'll be able to stay whenever ya like... these bandits have been terrible for business. We'll have those dinners right out for you, fresh mutton stew, and a good rye bread, from the Sanderson's harvest."

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I follow sis, smiling faintly.  It was best that she was taking care of funding, I thought.  That way we wouldn't need to constantly ask whom had how much in the way of funds.

Alluistras

Aerynnel broke from her reverie upon hearing the man's voice. Home is indeed what this felt like. She could feel her energy replenishing even as she stood there. A courteous nod is all she offered the man before heading off to find a place to rest, Lakota tagging along closely beside her.

They found a dense bed of leaves surrounded by some saplings that almost looked like something out of a dream, and when she lie down upon it, her body fully relaxed. Undisturbed by any nightmares, she slept soundly perhaps for the first time in her life.