What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SweetRevenge

Presently working on

Skyrim - 360
Minecraft - PC

and I just finished the downloadable game of Scott Pilgrim The Game. If you like the side-scrolling, 16-bit game grsphics (with way more details, ubisoft makes this game), without counting the intense need to button mash, this game will keep you entertained for a while ;)

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on January 06, 2012, 02:23:45 AM
I got the second one...
The first one was from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game where you healed by eating pizza. It's a co-op game and many a, "I Told you I needed that pizza!" Has been shouted whilst playing.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

lonlyazn

All over Skyrim. Then I'm all over fusion fall on cartoon network. Then I'm all over Skate 3. Then I'm all over Deus Ex Machina the first one.

“There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.”

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on January 06, 2012, 07:03:26 AM
The first one was from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade game where you healed by eating pizza. It's a co-op game and many a, "I Told you I needed that pizza!" Has been shouted whilst playing.

That would explain it - I've actually played Gauntlet, not so much TMNT.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Capone

Quote from: Oniya on January 06, 2012, 11:18:24 AM
That would explain it - I've actually played Gauntlet, not so much TMNT.

I'm in the opposite boat, though I've been steeped in gaming culture so long and so deeply that I equate "Wizard needs food badly" to "The Cake is a Lie before The Cake was a Lie". So yeah, got both references, for the most part.

Though my siblings and I were prone to actually ask who needed the pizza most. We actually, you know, co-operated, which is perhaps why Halo was one of the greatest things to ever happen to us. Playing that game co-op on Legendary was the best thing since the original Contra hit the NES.

It's also why I wish more games would try and figure out the Left 4 Dead design style. And I mean strictly the first one. The second one had some minor improvements, but for the most part did more wrong. I would have much preferred a downloadable weapons pack and additional maps for the first Left 4 Dead. But I'm used to being in the minority on that point.

Also: the only problem with the Scott Pilgrim video game is it doesn't have online multiplayer. If I were in College, this would be no problem. For a while it was impossible for us to have a gathering without someone playing Castle Crashers. But I'm not in College anymore, and couch co-op is a bitch these days. That game needs online badly, and they just won't give it.

Samael

Nitronic Rush - Let's Play
How can a free game be so much fun?
And I'm not even a fan of racing games.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Sabby

Looks... like every other trailer I ever see for Japanese games. A lot of screaming, a lot of Pope outfits, a lot of blood, and absolutely nothing that tells me anything about the game. It's like all they want to make is a 3D anime about religious theme gore rape, but they're obligated to splice in some Dynasty Warriors.

Playing Aquaria.

Capone

Quote from: Sabby on January 07, 2012, 09:08:13 AM
Looks... like every other trailer I ever see for Japanese games. A lot of screaming, a lot of Pope outfits, a lot of blood, and absolutely nothing that tells me anything about the game. It's like all they want to make is a 3D anime about religious theme gore rape, but they're obligated to splice in some Dynasty Warriors.

Playing Aquaria.

...actually, it's an anime. Just in 3D and cel-shaded. >.>

It's a Dragon Age anime, actually. I guess I should have specified that instead of just posting a video with a bunch of Japanese all over the place.

Sabby

OH! Assumed it was a game trailer xD my bad.

Bayushi

Quote from: Sabby on January 07, 2012, 10:42:49 AM
OH! Assumed it was a game trailer xD my bad.
I wish it was. It looked much better than Dragon Age II ended up.

Wolfy

I dunno...the Dragon Age Anime looks like it could be good, if it's handled well. ;D

Sabby

This is the problem with generic fantasy. Yeah, Dragon Age has it's own descriptions for things, but visually, it's completely generic. I've played both games, liked them, and I had no clue that was an anime adaption without being told.

And now, an example of how NOT to design a boss battle. What follows is one of the most infuriating experiences I've had with a controller. If this sounds anything like one of Spoony's rants on old NES games, that's because this has about the same quality of design.

Okay, Prototype. A game about running around in a big area, fighting lots of enemies. But for this battle, they drop you inside of a small building. The ground is uneven, there are physics objects scattered everywhere, and there are broken areas to the walls. What does this add? It severely limits your freerunning ability, and ensures that you spend half your time off of the ground, as stepping on a crack causes you to pop up an inch, or get stuck near an obstruction. Why is this a problem? Because actions while airborne are different. You'll frequently launch yourself into a hole in the wall, or throw yourself into a very time consuming kick move.

And why is this a problem? Because you can't fucking stop! There is an endless supply of enemies coming, and any attack from them will make you stop. If you stop, you'll be dogpiled and killed quickly. Even if your constantly on the move, you will still get clipped by a finger, and promptly ganged up on. Even if you manage to get away, they are constantly throwing things at you, and if you don't get hit by those, you will eventually pull off an accidental dash or homing kick and get stuck. This will happen constantly.

The only possible way I could get anywhere was to run laps around the room, grabbing things on the run and jumping so I could have a second to throw it at the boss, but even so, I was getting brought down constantly, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a second to consume for health. Grabbing an enemy on the run at all is tough, since the move is so imprecise and the enemies are usually behind you. If you do grab one, you won't be able to stop and consume him, most of the time. If you stop running, you'll skid, and have to wait a second before the consume button works, but more then likely, you'll have hit a Coke can or something, which has made you start Mario bouncing along a few rocks. And when you get hit, you drop your food, and lose more health then you would have gained anyway.

And then there's the Copperheads, giant prong things which like to spawn in your path, and have massive area attacks which can reach you from off screen. So many times I was doing my laps trying to find some kind of item to throw, when a sudden off screen attack levels everything around me and puts me on my ass, usually in a corner, letting all the bad guys box me in and spam long, uninterruptable attacks.

But I whittled down his health, slowly, and when an hour had passed I'd taken a quarter of his life. I told the game to fuck off and tossed my controller on my bed, and watched my character die... and only then did the next stage of the boss battle commence.

Okay, I've seen this before. Fighting an unwinnable battle is nothing new, and when handled right, it can be a great scene. But in those scenarios, you'll usually helpless. Here, I had the ability to keep on going. HOW FUCKING LONG were they expecting me to keep up this pointless attack?!

dready

So... I found out that there's a petition for Dark Souls to be put into a PC port.
Dark Souls to PC Petition

I would be alright with this, save that it would inevitably fall under three outcomes: It's done by the same creators of Armored Core (200 strong) and delays the nest 'Souls game which has been hinted and prodded to be a PC game as much as a console sort. It is done by someone else and it's not as good as it could be since it's being handled by someone unfamiliar with the game and how it should run. OR it is done and made into shit.

And I tend to be an optimist when it comes to games. :I

@Sabby: Yeah, I hated that 'boss' fight too. Only lasted half an hour and that was because the controller's batteries died. Game gets paused, I switch out batteries, turn on controller, unpause game, and instantly dogpiled.

Sabby

Yeah, I got so frustrated I went to play Aquaria, and immediately I came across a boss battle with some of the best design I've ever seen ^^

Capone

That boss battle sounds like the two most frustrating design elements.

Wanting you to fail, but giving no indication that you're supposed to. I find it works best in games where you are clearly outmatched, like one hit does over half of your health in damage and you're doing almost nothing. That way you probably don't waste a lot of time trying to fight, but die within a few seconds.

But most of all, I'm sick of boss fights that need to throw hordes of henchmen at you to make it harder. Case in point, the final boss of Gears of War 3. If you don't attack the boss while they are ripping -spoiler- to shreds, then you'll eventually lose the fight. But if you just focus on the boss, then all the damned henchmen, and tougher ones at that, will pelt the shit out of you. Your A.I. companions aren't good enough to distract them.

It's a fight that would work well in four player co-op, or even two player, but they should have done the old TMNT Arcade thing where there were fewer foes to deal with on single player. It spoiled the ending for me because it was so frustrating that I was just glad to be done with it.

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on January 08, 2012, 08:06:06 AM
That boss battle sounds like the two most frustrating design elements.

Wanting you to fail, but giving no indication that you're supposed to. I find it works best in games where you are clearly outmatched, like one hit does over half of your health in damage and you're doing almost nothing. That way you probably don't waste a lot of time trying to fight, but die within a few seconds.

But most of all, I'm sick of boss fights that need to throw hordes of henchmen at you to make it harder. Case in point, the final boss of Gears of War 3. If you don't attack the boss while they are ripping -spoiler- to shreds, then you'll eventually lose the fight. But if you just focus on the boss, then all the damned henchmen, and tougher ones at that, will pelt the shit out of you. Your A.I. companions aren't good enough to distract them.

It's a fight that would work well in four player co-op, or even two player, but they should have done the old TMNT Arcade thing where there were fewer foes to deal with on single player. It spoiled the ending for me because it was so frustrating that I was just glad to be done with it.
The only exception I'm willing to make to that rule about the "You're going to lose" boss fights is that if you could possibly compete with the boos make it killable and reward the player. It'll be hard, but you'll get something.

Example: Defeating Lavos in antiquity in Chrono Trigger. Yes, it was hard, yeah you needed NG + but if you could do it you got the "Dream Team" Ending at least.

Another one. In one of the Dragon Ball Z games I think it was Ultimate Tenkiichi 2 or something. They had hard to beat fights. Like Goku V. Raditz the first time. I you could beat the fight you unlocked Raditz. The same with a few other characters.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

Demon's Souls has a monster in the beginning that you can beat, but it's hard and you typically need to actually know what you're doing.

Oniya

There was an un-winnable battle in one of the BoF series that actually spawned a gaming legend that 'if you manage to do it' - something amazing would happen, or you'd get to keep the character that you 'lose' when you lose the battle.  Some guy finally put that to rest:

Balio and Sunder - Breath Of Fire III

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on January 08, 2012, 06:13:30 PM
There was an un-winnable battle in one of the BoF series that actually spawned a gaming legend that 'if you manage to do it' - something amazing would happen, or you'd get to keep the character that you 'lose' when you lose the battle.  Some guy finally put that to rest:

Balio and Sunder - Breath Of Fire III
So, it's eight and a half minutes of him trying, but they never run out of HP? (I don't know if you could call that put to rest? However, how are they supposed to kill you without any AP?

Oniya

That 8 and a half minutes starts about an hour into the battle, if you read the notes.  After that long, it's pretty obvious that any 'damage' the player is doing isn't being tallied in any way.

LunarSage

I actually remember that!  *chuckles*

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I remember hating that the main character never gets to have a romantic interest of his own...  :-(

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on January 08, 2012, 09:20:04 PM
That 8 and a half minutes starts about an hour into the battle, if you read the notes.  After that long, it's pretty obvious that any 'damage' the player is doing isn't being tallied in any way.
Ah. I remember something like that going around with Kain in Final Fantasy IV. They said if you could beat him at Fabul something great would happen.

I always pointed out two things. A.) You would have to grind and find at least high potions like no tomorrow (not going to happen because you can't buy high at that point.

B.) Within two hits he naturally falls into an infinite jump loop. You can wait for him to come down to hit him, but when he lands you're probably going to have to heal up.

Interestingly enough, Kain's infinite jump loop was the way to beat the Final Boss until the DS remake.

(Mine was epic, main character one hit worth of HP, everyone else on the floor. One last attack... for the kill!)

Capone

I still remember all the rumors that spawned pre-Internet, or at least before the Internet became a huge thing. Before the theory of reviving Aeris in FF7, there was resurrecting General Leo in FF6 and fitting him in that one last spot in the character selection screen.

There were some Easter Eggs that I'm surprised existed, and I still don't know how they were found. For example, Mega Man X. You find all the pieces of armor, get all four E tanks, fill them to the max, have 9 extra lives and all the heart tanks. Go to the Armored Armadillo stage and play through everything UNTIL near the very end. When you're on the cart that speeds through and over the cliff, jump so you land on the overhang atop the gate. Then leap down and die. Repeat five times until an upgrade capsule appears. Dr. Light is dressed in a Gi and gives you the Hadoken, which is an instant one-hit-kill on everything.

It's also the easiest way to kill Sigma's damned dog.