News:

Main Menu

300: Rise Of An Empire

Started by Beorning, October 18, 2014, 07:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on October 19, 2014, 04:02:43 PM
Okay, so... would you be okay with a movie about, say, the American war for independence with broadswords and machine guns? And with the British being portrayed as barbarians ruled by a demon-worshipping king?

After all, this movie would definitely look awesome...

consortium11

Quote from: Beorning on October 19, 2014, 04:02:43 PM
Okay, so... would you be okay with a movie about, say, the American war for independence with broadswords and machine guns? And with the British being portrayed as barbarians ruled by a demon-worshipping king?

After all, this movie would definitely look awesome...

Absolutely fine with it.

I don't believe anyone blew their top over Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for an extreme example. Likewise on the more moderate front I don't think anyone considered Gladiator a poor film because of its historical inaccuracies or that Apocalypse Now is poor because it doesn't portray the Vietnam war accurately.

If anything the fact that both 300 films are so ridiculous, over the top and inaccurate actually makes them less harmful in that regard. The most insidious historical inaccuracies are those which are subtle enough to not leap out and so tend to settle in the mind and become part of popular culture. The fact that the 300 movies director's notes appear to go "It needs more EPIC!" for every scene pretty much means its clear you're not watching something with even a hint of realism.

RubySlippers

I would only be concerned if you take a movie seriously if a normal person, then it would be an issue, but they have over the top movies like 300 (both) or Knights Tale which was a good popcorn flick but is hardly an historical movie.

Beorning

Hmmm. Let's continue with the analogy, then...

What if a movie was made in Great Britain that would take upon the subject of American revolution in that manner? As, the leaders of the revolution are demon-worshippers and the rest of Americans are barbarians? And the movie's lead character would be a couragous demon hunter named Benedict Arnold..?

Oniya

You realize, NaNoWriMo is coming up soon...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Would still watch it, and enjoy the heck out of it, because I'm intelligent enough to be capable of distinguishing history from fiction, and have the elementary-level education necessary to know the history of my own country. Alt-history stories, particularly ones that blend science fiction or fantasy into the historical narrative, are some of my favorite things to read/watch.