The Hot Hell - spy pulp fiction

Started by RedEve, February 19, 2012, 08:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

This will be my foray into something new I've wanted to explore for quite some time.

The idea is for me to GM a game AND provide all of the character templates. The players would basically just be "cast" in the roles I've created.

I myself will not take part as an active player, but rather direct the action behind the scenes, and nudge certain characters in this or that direction.

The setting would be the Cold War, the early 1960s. I would say after the Cuban Missile Crisis (October 1962) but before the JFK assassination (November 1963). The location would be a small island group in the Pacific called Sasteban, which is of strategic importance to both the Russians and the Americans.

Currently a Russian-backed dictator is in charge, but the British and the Americans hire a freelancer to go and organize the small rebel factions and arm them.

He will play the role as a double agent as he will also allow himself to be hired by the dictator, thus being able to play both sides when needed.

To complicate matters further, some femme fatales will be thrown into the mix.

The roles that need to be filled:

Name: Michael Fisher
Role: Freelance operative on the CIA's payroll, Scottish by origin
Background: Served in the SAS for close to a decade and was then discharged. Has been working as a soldier for hire ever since.
Taken

Name: Annabelle Gennaro
Role: The Dictator's girlfriend
Background: Annabelle is one of the thousands of girls who go to Hollywood each year, dreaming of a silver-screen career. She never got further than a few commercials, and eventually met her current "beau" at a party during a vacation in Acapulco. Initially repulsed by the man, she changed her mind when he showered one lavish gift after another all over her. After wooing her for the remainder of her vacation, she agreed to return to his tiny home country of Sasteban. She has been living in luxury and wealth ever since then, ignoring the fact that said wealth is bought at the expense of her husband's people.
Taken

Name: Lupe Martinez
Role: Lieutenant in the rebel army
Background: Nearly her entire family is an active member of the rebel movement. Having lost several siblings as well as cousins and uncles in the war against their brutal dictator, Lupe joined up herself when she was just 17. She has made a name as being a fearless (and at times reckless) battlefield commander, who takes pleasure in taking on the most dangerous missions.
Taken

Name: General Maximilian Delgado
Background: Maximilian and his brother Rodrigo grabbed power over 15 years ago, by toppling the democratically elected government thanks to the backing of the military. Most of the polictical opponents were killed, the handful that survived the coup spent the rest of their short lives in captivity. Delgado has been ruling his tiny country with an iron fist. Most of the profits made on the hard labor of his people go to him and a small inner circle. The Kremlin also supports him financially, his islands being of strategic importance for their relatively close proximity to the US.

Name: Charles “Lucky” Garner
Background: CIA handler who accompanies Michael Fisher to Sasteban and acts as a liaison for him over there. Veteran of WW II, jumped into France and Holland as part of the paratroopers contingent. Transferred into the intelligence gathering services at the end of the war.
Taken

I will fill out the above cast of PCs with a cast of NPCs where and when they are needed.

Sasteban itself:

The country has a little over 200000 inhabitants. Around 70000 of those live in the capital, Sasteban City.
The second largest town of the country is Puerto Delgado, which can boast around 45000 souls.
To give you an idea of the scale of the islands: the distance from Sasteban City to Puerto Delgado is around 25 miles/40 km.

The rebel presence is most strong up North, in Puerto Villamil and Playa de Oro, as well as in the old miners town of Tortuga Bay.
There is still a lot of silver in the hills to the West of Tortuga Bay, which makes its status as revel stronghold very unfortunate for General Delgado.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

PeacethatPowerbrings

Well, you've got my interest. I'd be up for playing Michael Fisher.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Dizzied

I'm always a sucker for spy thrillers. :)

I would prefer to play one of the female roles but I can be flexible for the sake of a good story. Do let me know if I fit the bill.

RedEve

Still looking for people to play General Delgado and Lucky Garner. :)

Chuukun

Hmm, this seems like a nice game to try out for a change of pace. Would be more than happy to play Charles Garner, you sold me on that character when you picked Aaron Eckhart as a model for that one.

RedEve

Quote from: Chuukun on February 22, 2012, 12:44:22 PM
Hmm, this seems like a nice game to try out for a change of pace. Would be more than happy to play Charles Garner, you sold me on that character when you picked Aaron Eckhart as a model for that one.

Terrific! That just leaves someone to play General Delgado. My initial plan was not to play any of the major roles myself, but if it takes too long to fill that last role, I will do it myself.

Chuukun

Here to confirm my interest in playing Charles "Lucky" Garner! Can't wait to get things started soon.

PeacethatPowerbrings

I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Ron Don Volante

My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

RedEve

Okay. We will not wait much longer for the game to begin since it's unlikely anyone else will express a desire to play Delgado.

I have laid out some of the details of the start of the game to some of you already. Basically three of the PCs will find themselves in Acapulco.

Annabelle will be there on Delgado's orders. Every 6-8 weeks he sends her down there in his private yacht to hire some men for his cause.
He is always in the market for experienced mercs to train and lead his men. Lucky Garner and Mike Fisher will be down there as well, and use this recruitment to get Fisher on the inside of Delgado's operation.

Mike will pose as a merc looking for work, Lucky Garner will act as the liaison between Annabelle and Mike. The idea is for Annabelle and Mike to hook up in more ways than one, and then depart on the Yacht together. Lucky Garner will then be parachuted into the rebel camp after his role on Acapulco is played.

As for Lupe, she will still find herself on Sasteban. The rebel's main camp is to the North-West of Tortuga bay, in a series of underground caverns. I suggest for Lupe to start out there.
Lucky Garner and a small supply of weapons will be dropped nearby their camp after the Acapulco episode.

RedEve