Interest Check: Fate/Stay Night and other Nasuverse works (FATE system)

Started by Kunoichi, February 18, 2012, 12:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

So, the shared setting of such works as Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, Kara no Kyoukai, Melty Blood, and other properties that escape me at the moment.  I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who'd be interested in a game set in that particular setting, right?  You've got vampires, mages, psychics, people descended from demons, spirits, and all sorts of other craziness, all seamlessly blended together.  Plus, since Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night are both H-games, there are also plenty of interesting options for sex, as well. ^^

I've also got a great love for system games, however, and having spent a few weeks looking around, I think I've found an excellent system to run a game like this in.  FATE (Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment) is a fun and flexible system, and has definitely been agreed to be a good starting point for a Nasuverse game around the internet.  And looking around, I've stumbled across a rather interesting variant on that system, called Strange FATE, that has some rules changes that make the game even more flexible, and pretty much perfect for games of just about any genre, Nasuverse included.

Unfortunately, the only version of the Strange FATE rules out on the market at the moment is in The Kerberos Club - FATE Edition, which I don't expect many people here to have even heard of. ^^; All the same, though, systems can be learned, so...  Would there be any interest out there for a Nasu-based system game?  We could do a Grail War, a vampire hunt, politics at the Clock Tower, we could be supernatural troubleshooters like the group Ryougi Shiki works for...  There are all sorts of possibilities, really.

Also, I should add in that this is just an interest check.  I don't have any plans at the moment to start a game at this time, as I would need to find a GM for it, in addition to some players.

So, any interest?

Thufir Hawat

I'm familiar with FATE, though not exactly the Kerberos club version. But yeah, I'd be interested to play in a FATE game, although not as a GM :P!
PM me if you find a GM, though ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Kunoichi

Thank you for the interest. ^^ If you ever get the chance, I think you should definitely look into The Kerberos Club.  In addition to the flexible and fun rules, (which are referred to as 'Strange FATE' by the publisher,) it's also got a really intriguing Victorian Era superheroes setting attached.

Overall, the system itself is pretty easy to pick up, if you know FATE.  There are only a couple of big differences, and they're intuitive and easy to understand.  Power Tiers let you replace some of your fudge dice when rolling for a skill with regular d6s that only add to the roll and never subtract, for example, and the custom skill system it's got breaks the existing skills down into their basic components, then lets you combine them in any way you please to construct all sorts of crazy powers.  You can tack on 'Extras' and 'Drawbacks' to a given custom skill, as well, to help better model an ability.

For example, let's say you want Tohno Shiki's Mystic Eyes of Death Perception.  Take the Strike ability, give it the Unusual extra to represent the bizarre, conceptual way in which it works, then add on Notice and the Unusual extra for the ability to see the lines of death in the first place.  Spend 4 refresh to get it up to the Ascendant power tier, add on a Major Complication drawback to represent the strain that using the eyes causes him, and voila, Mystic Eyes of Death Perception as a custom skill.

It's a really fun system, even to just mess around in. ;D

Kaiten

I certainly have any interest in a game based off Type-Moon games/manga/anime, but I'm not entirely good at system games, outside of table top. I'd be learning very slow, is that sufficient?

Kunoichi

I'd certainly be willing to help you learn, if we can get a game together.  Finding a GM is going to be the hard part, though...

Thufir Hawat

Yeah, I keep hearing good stuff about Strange FATE. But since we're not using FATE with my group, at least not at the moment, I keep putting it off. Besides, Kerberos Club has also an ORE version, and I'd be just as likely to get this one ;).

Kaiten, if you've played tabletop, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have much issues with a system game. Well, you might have to learn a new system for it, but that's generally not a problem if you have the books ;D.

Now let's see whether we'd find a GM >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Kunoichi

I've seen plenty of people who've said they got both versions, interestingly enough.  I imagine cost is usually a pretty big prohibition to anyone wanting go that route, though...

Yes, here's hoping we can get a GM. ^^

Thufir Hawat

Well, cost is likely to stop me from getting more than one. And to think that there is also a Savage Worlds version... ;D

Gm, where art thou >:)?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Kunoichi

True.  Perhaps the multiple versions is a sign that it's becoming a popular setting?

Thufir Hawat

Either that, or they're giving a better deal than others to the people that want to license it >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Kunoichi

Hmm, I certainly suppose that could be true...

Ah, and a note for any potential GMs out there.  Should you want, I would be willing to act as co-GM.  I can't claim that I'd be very helpful with the mechanical side of things, but I do have a lot of knowledge about the setting, and I can handle some NPCs, as well.

Jefepato

I could be interested in this.  If we had a Holy Grail War game, I had a neat idea for a Lancer character (even though this may be unwise because to be the Servant Lancer is to invite being totally screwed), but I don't always do well with PVP.  I enjoy most of the Nasuverse (been on a Carnival Phantasm kick lately).

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Kunoichi

As far as Holy Grail War games go, I'm actually of the opinion that a straight-up 7-team PVP game should be avoided.  For something like that, you'd want a smaller group, say two or three Master-Servant pairs, and you'd probably want to introduce some extra complications to the Grail War to keep it from ending in a PVP slaughter-fest, anyway...

What sort of idea did you have for a Lancer?  I wound up using the system to stat up both a Caster and a Master as tests to see how it would work, and thus far, I'm pretty satisfied with the results.