Dark Heresy: Shadows of the Tyrant

Started by Dakkon, January 10, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 18, 2014, 12:45:05 AM
When are character submissions due by?
Depending on your time zone, roughly Wednesday evening, Thursday morning. I'm hoping to start up Thursday evening for me, and I'm GMT +4. Still should be enough time to put something together.

Pumpkin Seeds

I have an idea for a character, actually two but the Sister of Battle has been on my mind for longer.  Intending to take her as a Sister of Battle but then take the Condemned background from the Radical Handbook.  This would make her capable of fighting, but I think she would be more intriguing and fun with an investigative game.  My eventual goal would be for her to join the Sisters Repentia (sp?) to shed her reputation and rejoin their ranks.

ShadowFox89

Wouldn't happen to be anyone with AIM or Steam that could help me work out the fluff on my character >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dakkon

Quote from: Darkling on January 17, 2014, 03:23:08 PM
Mhm, that almost sounds like FATE's system. My only concern is the retries you mentioned, i generally disapprove of that sort of thing. Failing a roll is part of these games too, and can make even more interesting results than passing sometimes. Being allowed to try again (and again) in exchange for some penalty feels alittle.... fudgey? It might not be the desired outcome by a player or GM, but the results of a fail shake up the monotony

It also devalues Fate Points, the spending of which is to allow rerolls 90+% of the time.

Fair enough. It's more inspired by 13th Age's escalation dice than FATE I think. I agree that failure is important though and trust me, you won't be getting away without failure. The retries aren't infinite, most of the time, challenges will limit them to one or two, unless it is a major or extended challenge. Failures are still going to happen.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 18, 2014, 12:50:07 AM
I have an idea for a character, actually two but the Sister of Battle has been on my mind for longer.  Intending to take her as a Sister of Battle but then take the Condemned background from the Radical Handbook.  This would make her capable of fighting, but I think she would be more intriguing and fun with an investigative game.  My eventual goal would be for her to join the Sisters Repentia (sp?) to shed her reputation and rejoin their ranks.

Sound cool. I look forwards to seeing more!

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 18, 2014, 01:41:35 AM
Wouldn't happen to be anyone with AIM or Steam that could help me work out the fluff on my character >.>

What are you stuck on?

ShadowFox89

Everything really, I'm not the most familiar with WH40k. I ended up getting distracted by trying to start with making a homebrew star system >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SGTDan

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Muse

I might also have something to contribute, Fox, though I'm hardly an expert. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Baalborn87

Okay. Expanded the background of Ishmael and added an image.

Quote from: Baalborn87 on January 13, 2014, 09:34:37 AM
OK, Still under edit. But Here's the basic CS for Brother Ishmael Dekko

Name:   Ishmael Dekko         Age: 28

Homeworld:     Void Born/Orbital (1d10 roll of 9 = fate point not used, -5 fellowship tests)
WS: 32 BS: 34 STR: 30 T: 25 AG: 32 INT: 30 PER: 30 WP: 32 FEL: 31
Corruption:    2   Insanity: 0
Tarot: "Dark dreams lie upon the heart" (2 corruption)
Income Level: Ministorum
Wounds: 14
Fate points: 3

Experience (Unspent/Total): 100/400

Traits: sound constitution x3,

Talents: Melee weapon training (primitive), Pistol Training (SP), Basic weapon training (primitive).

Basic Skills: Navigation (stellar), Pilot (Spacecraft), Speak Language (low gothic), Common lore (Imperial creed), Literacy, Trade (copyist), Trade (cook), Inquiry

Trained Skills:

Equipment: Hammer, Stub revolver (6 bullets), Crossbow (30 bolts), Flack vest, Aquila necklace, Ecclesiarchy robes, 4 candles, Charm (Skull), Backpack, Pump action shotgun (48 shells), Flamer (3 clips), Lamp pack

Wealth: 505 Thr

Background
  Born on a Research Space station at the edge of the Calixis sector. To a pair of menial workers living near the reactor deck in the service of the tech adept. Unfortunately fates decreed that he was to loose his parents in a reactor leak. A small mercy it was that the manner of their demise was that they perished whilst saving the station from the same radiation leak. Gaining him an unwanted fame on the station.
  He found he had 2 choices. Bury his head and follow in his parents footsteps and become just another (all be it respected) menial in the machine. Or take up an offer from the commanding tech adept and pursue a following with the Omnissiah. He retreated to the local Chapel (for what it was) to pray to the Emperor for guidance and for his path to be opened to him. It was then that clarity hit him. He was filled by the light of the Emperor being able to recall the scriptures that he had learned as a child and crying out praises to the Emperor. As the light left him and he collapsed to his knees shuddering, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Causing him to look into the wizened face of the priest who had witnessed the event.   
  The priest being filled with a mixture of awe and fear, decreed that this was a sign from the Emperor that Ishmael was destined for greater things than becoming just another pawn in the workings of the station. With that, the priest took the orphaned Ishmael as his ward. Teaching him the scriptures and rights of paying fealty to the Emperor.
  As time went on Ishmael started to believe that death in service to the Emperor is the noblest death one can hope for. And that his parents would have been welcomed by the Emperor with open arms.  The priest then decreed that Ishmael had learned as much as he could at his side and that the time had come to bring the light of the Emperor to the darkness. Kitting him out with relics of his station the priest gave him a final blessing before sending Ishmael out to the wilds of the Imperium. Despite him knowing that his parents are dead, he has of late had disturbing dreams. Of a honeyed voice promising that the secrets of life and death and returning the souls of the departed to the plains of the living are out there to be discovered, he needs to just but look. So far his faith has been strong and he knows the voice is lying....So far.

Desired Ordos: (Heretcus)

Personality Very methodical, with a secret desire for rebellion.

Appearance

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Height: 1.65m

Weight: 55kg

Quirk: Pallid

Build: Stunted

Skin colouration: Fair

Hair Color: Blond

Eye Color: Grey

Group Associations:

Inquisitor 1:

Inquisitor 2:

Orientation: Moderate

Other Notes:

Notes to GM:

ShadowFox89

Well, a rough idea.... I'm thinking Leonora spent time in the Planetary Defense as a sniper, picking off rebel officers. But since her family is rich enough, she only had to serve a year or so.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

There seems to be some confusion with the term Orientation in the character sheets]

I believe its meant to referr to your puritian/moderate/radical leanings, not your sexual orientation  ;)

Dakkon

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 18, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
Well, a rough idea.... I'm thinking Leonora spent time in the Planetary Defense as a sniper, picking off rebel officers. But since her family is rich enough, she only had to serve a year or so.
Makes perfect sense!

Quote from: Darkling on January 18, 2014, 04:00:57 PM
There seems to be some confusion with the term Orientation in the character sheets]

I believe its meant to referr to your puritian/moderate/radical leanings, not your sexual orientation  ;)
Bingo! I'll pick a better word next time.

ShadowFox89

Rolls-
Roll 1: 6
Roll 2: 15
Roll 3: 9
Roll 4: 10
Roll 5: 12
Roll 6: 19
Roll 7: 14
Roll 8: 7
Roll 9: 2 22
Roll 10: 16

Well, getting rid of that 2, that's 108pts worth which isn't bad. The 6, 7, and 9 are going to be a pain in the ass but I think I can work with it. Gives me an average of 32, which means I think I'll keep this array.
Fate point roll: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=53588
Wounds: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=53589
Income Roll: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=53590
Tarot Roll: https://elliquiy.com/forums/dicebot.php?r=53591

Starting Package
Skills: Speak Language (Low Gothic), Awareness, Dodge
Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Unremarkable, Pistol Training (Las), Basic Weapon Training (SP), Pistol Training (SP)
Equipment: Hunting Rifle + 16 rounds, knife, 3 doses of stimm, charm (corpse hair), black bodyglove (common quality clothing)

Name: Leonora d'Vulpe  Age: 27
Homeworld: (Noble Origin//Imperial World)
WS: 40 BS: 44 STR: 34 T: 32 AG: 36 INT: 26 PER: 29 WP: 30 FEL: 30
Corruption: 0      Insanity: 0
Tarot: "Be a boon to your fellows and a bane to your enemies" +3 fellowship
Income Level: 500 Thrones/month (1500 starting)
Fate Points: 2
Wounds: 12+3
Armor: Head 3, Body 4, Arms 4, Legs 4

Experience (Unspent/Total): 400/400
Spending List

Simple Weapon Skill Advance= 100xp
Simple Ballistic Skill Advance= 100xp
Inquiry= 100xp
Silent Move= 100xp

Traits:
Etiquette
Nobles are schooled in how to comport themselves in all
manner of formal situations.
Effect: You gain a +10 bonus on Charm, Deceive and
Scrutiny Tests when dealing with high authority and in
formal situations.

Supremely Connected

Nobles have extensive connections and you know that
dropping the “right” names into a conversation can open
more doors than a fistful of Thrones.
Effect: You begin play with the Peer (Nobility) talent.
In addition, you also gain Peer (Academics, Adeptus
Mechanicus, Administratum, Astropaths, Ecclesiarchy,
Government, Mercantile, Military or Underworld), selecting
one category to reflect your family’s powerbase.

Vendetta

Every noble house has its sworn enemies and rivals who would
do it and its members harm. Joining the Holy Ordos doesn’t
stop this, it merely forces those who wish you harm to be a bit
more cautious and subtle in exacting their vengeance.
Effect: You have powerful enemies, perhaps in the shape
of a rival noble house or some other powerful group. The
details of these enemies are left to you and the GM to define,
working together to create a formidable threat. While they
do not dog your steps at every turn, they are still out there,
aiming to inconvenience, harm or kill you when you cross
their path, You, of course, are free to return the favour when
it’s expedient to do so.

Wealth

Those born into the nobility are also born in to wealth and
enjoy the fruits of their family’s fortunes.
Effect: You begin play with double the starting number of
Thrones. You are also Noble for the purposes of determining
monthly income (see page 124 of Dark Heresy).

Talents: Peer (Nobility), Peer (Military), Unremarkable, Basic Weapon Training (SP), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Weapon Training (SP), Pistol Weapon Training (Las)

Basic Skills:

Trained Skills: Awareness (Per), Dodge (Ag), Speak Language (Low Gothic), Inquiry (fel), Silent Moves (agi)

Equipment: Hunting Rifle w/16 rounds, Compact Laspistol, Sword, knife, Charm, Black Bodyglove, 3 doses of Stimm,Xeno Mesh, Mesh Cowl, Cameleoline Cloak, Clip Harness/Drop Harness, Microbead, Grapnel, Backpack

Hunting Rifle:
Laspistol:
Mono-Sword:
Mono-Knife:

Background Leonora was born to the d'Vulpe family of the Imperial Hive world of Sulloudor. The d'Vulpe family was founded hundreds of years ago, when the planet was still being conquered and settled. Because of their strong ties to the Imperial Guard, the d'Vulpe family has traditionally offered their eldest child to training in either the Guard or the Planetary Defense Force. So it was that Leonora, as the eldest child of her parents, joined the PDF of Sulloudor. Early on, it was shown that she had a knack for marksmanship, scoring greatly in the range.
Leonora was assigned to the Fifty-Fifth Sulloudor Sniper Regiment, known as the Headhunters. Just in time, it turned out, as soon a faction of Independents had thrown the planet into open rebellion. The Headhunters were on the front lines of the engagement, eliminating key officers and providing recon for the line infantry. Until they ran into a special unit of the rebels, a Chaos warband that had infiltrated the planet and instigated the rebellion. The Headhunters radioed for support and hunkered down, ready to take as many heretics as possible down with them.
After days of building to building fighting, support arrived. Of sorts. An Inquisitorium Blackship leveled the city, killing almost everyone within. Leonora was one of the lucky few survivors, though she was taken to the Blackship while recovering from her wounds. She resigned her commission in the PDF, taking the chance to see the galaxy at large and put her skills to greater use.

Desired Ordos: Ordo Thanatos

Personality

Appearance
Height: 1.75m
Build: Svelte (65kg)
Hair Color: red
Eye Color: green

Group Associations:

Inquisitor 1:

Inquisitor 2:

Orientation: Bis- oh, you mean religious orientation. Moderate

Other Notes:

Notes to GM: Pending approval into the game, will need to talk about the Vendetta trait.

Xeno Mesh: 375 (2kg)
Mesh Cowl: 100 (.5kg)
Cameleoline Cloak: 500 (.5kg)
Clip Harness/Drop Harness: 25 (2kg)
Microbead: 20 (-)
Grapnel: 30 (2kg)
Backpack: 10 (1kg)
Total: 1060 (8kg)
Weapon Upgrades: Mono mod for sword and knife (40e for 80 total)
Red-dot sight and silencer for hunting rifle (60 total, +1kg total)
Total: 140 thrones, 1kg
Total shopping list: 1200 thrones, 9kg.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dakkon

So just a random question. How closely do people expect to stick with cannon? I June had an idea that. I think is a good one...but it would totally change the future of 40k once unleashed. It would also see almost every single faction within the Sector and without seek to get involved, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

ShadowFox89

I like the idea that PCs can alter the fate of... everything. It's one of the things I love about works like the Lord of the Rings and the Belgariad, and one of the things that irks me about works like Warhammer 40k and Forgotten Realms.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ChaoticSky

Well, i think thats two questions.

I strongly disapprove of departure from the 40k canon as it exists, if you are going to mess with the rules of the setting then its not 40k anymore, no more so than if a magical portal opened up and the MLP found themselves in LoTR and defeat Sauron through the power of friendship. 40k is hinged on a very strict set of internal physical laws and thematic assumptions, which i feel should be obeyed. The warp is a hellhole, there is constant war, mankind is fighting back from the brink, everything wants to kill us or worse, etc. On the other hand, as far as our characters altering events in the larger setting, im fine with that, as long as its handled properly in the setting at large. For example, the last time someone tried to wake up the Emperor.... it went very bad for them, and what -if any- reward we might get for finding a STC would depend on how open we were to sharing it with the admech and if they thought they could get away with stealing it or not.

So... im fine with changes in chronology, but not cosmology, of the setting. I dont particularly care if whatever we do throws a wrench into the timeline for the next black crusade or whatever, its out of scope and out of mind. :3

Wargtass

Quote from: Darkling on January 19, 2014, 07:13:34 PM
So... im fine with changes in chronology, but not cosmology, of the setting. I dont particularly care if whatever do do throws a wrench into the timeline for the next black crusade or whatever, its out of scope and out of mind. :3

I only ever read the whole timeline once for GM purposes anyway (my players are nit-picky arseholes by the way) so I agree completely with Darkling. Who cares who won the Battle of the Herpenderp System as long as the Emperor is deadish, the Eldars are douchebags and the Warp is sufficiently chaosy.
O/O

SGTDan

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Dakkon

Well, I'm definitely going for the later rather than the former. I'm filling in a gap that was left open in the 40k cannon for exactly this sort of thing. The cosmology is remaining exactly as it was. The setting won't be "fixed" to create some sort of perfect world. There are no such things as allies, only enemies and worse and worse enemies. The Eldar are still dicks, the Tau are still ruthless communalists and the Tyranids are still really, really hungry. There is still only war. And by the end, there may be a lot more of it.

All I'm doing is taken a faction that we all know of in cannon, but do not know, and making them known. In what I hope is a sick, twisted and grimdark way.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

SGTDan

Quote from: FallenDabus on January 20, 2014, 02:45:23 AM
Well, I'm definitely going for the later rather than the former. I'm filling in a gap that was left open in the 40k cannon for exactly this sort of thing. The cosmology is remaining exactly as it was. The setting won't be "fixed" to create some sort of perfect world. There are no such things as allies, only enemies and worse and worse enemies. The Eldar are still dicks, the Tau are still ruthless communalists and the Tyranids are still really, really hungry. There is still only war. And by the end, there may be a lot more of it.

All I'm doing is taken a faction that we all know of in cannon, but do not know, and making them known. In what I hope is a sick, twisted and grimdark way.

Okay I lied...

I can live with the Nids being full
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

Dakkon

Quote from: SGTDan on January 20, 2014, 02:57:32 AM
Okay I lied...

I can live with the Nids being full

Never!
OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

ChaoticSky

Dakkon

Okay, just a bit over 48 hours to go by my reckoning. Good luck folks, the stuff I've seen so far looks good! Keep it coming!

SGTDan

Quote from: FallenDabus on January 20, 2014, 09:54:52 PM
Okay, just a bit over 48 hours to go by my reckoning. Good luck folks, the stuff I've seen so far looks good! Keep it coming!

You should cook up a count down or something

Just increase the tension
Proudly Demisexual
My RP Requests

ShadowFox89

Quote from: FallenDabus on January 20, 2014, 09:54:52 PM

I'm still trying to hash out a background, but I'm going to be busy for a bit tomorrow... I could just give you bullet points background if that'd be acceptable >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A