6 states down 44 more to go!

Started by GothicFires, June 25, 2011, 05:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GothicFires

Nic's probably off doing something with Marc that we'd all like to be watching so I figured I'd help him out a bit in the happy celebration

Gay Marriage Is Legal In New York!

Congratulations to the LGBT community in that state and hopefully the rest will follow soon.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

HockeyGod

Congrats New Yorkers, one giant step forward in evolution of society.

MasterMischief

Perry is screwing around with special sessions to criminalize people not like him (Mexicans, you know, 'cause they are the ones to blame for all our woes) instead of getting right with equal rights.

Tries to return to his happy place.

Maxwell Malamute

I was very happy about seeing this, as New York is such a large and populous state, and home to the Statue of Liberty. This is very fitting.

In addition, gay marriage is legal in Washington, DC. Also, my state, Maryland will recognize gay marriages performed in states where they are legal, as will Rhode Island.

I am hoping the courts remedy the situation in California, and eventually, the entire US...it is hard, having to live in one state and not being able to relocate to another for a job or the care of a relative, and then no longer be married in the new state.

I wonder what the last states to legalize gay marriage will be, it if continues on a state by state basis? My guess is Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas.

Playful rubber puppy, here! Into many other other things, just ask!

On and Offs, what I like to do/My Stories/The Origin of Love: My history, briefly/Meeting the Great God Pan

Trieste

I'm very happy for New York, although all of these states legalizing gay marriage doesn't mean a damned thing if the DOMA doesn't come tumbling down. Then states like Alabama, Mississippi and Texas have a constitutional obligation to recognize the marriages performed in New York, Massachusetts, Washington DC, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, and Iowa.

gaggedLouise

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Bayushi

I have been accused of being bigoted and homophobic in the past (odd, considering I'm a lesbian). All because I did not support some of the states that made homosexual marriage legal.

Why? As New York is one of the FEW states to have held a vote on the matter, and have it pass. Other states had it forced on them through judicial fiat, blatantly disregarding the will of the people of said states.

But, I am quite happy for those in New York, today. I hope that many will find happiness in their lives for the change in the law.

Trieste

(Because judicial rulings have no place in civil rights battles. Sorry, Brown, I guess you should've just bent over for the Board of Ed's reaming. You dirty fascist, you.)

Nico

Quote from: GothicFires on June 25, 2011, 05:34:22 PM
Nic's probably off doing something with Marc that we'd all like to be watching so I figured I'd help him out a bit in the happy celebration
I wish! ;D

ausyandy

This is awesome news!

;D

Go New York!

Serephino

Maxwell Malamute

Quote from: Akiko on June 26, 2011, 01:11:01 AM
I have been accused of being bigoted and homophobic in the past (odd, considering I'm a lesbian). All because I did not support some of the states that made homosexual marriage legal.

Why? As New York is one of the FEW states to have held a vote on the matter, and have it pass. Other states had it forced on them through judicial fiat, blatantly disregarding the will of the people of said states.

But, I am quite happy for those in New York, today. I hope that many will find happiness in their lives for the change in the law.

Not to be rude, but so what?

It was the US Supreme Court as late as 1967 that made it legal for blacks and whites to marry in the 16 or 17 states where the popular vote may have been otherwise.

That's one of the main functions of the courts: To protect the rights of minorities.

I get sick of hearing about this judicial fiat BS...it's as much a part of our country as anything.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but if the majority of people are bigoted assholes, well, there is still recourse.

Judicial fiat, my ass. It is part of the system of checks and balances just as much as anything.

On and Offs, what I like to do/My Stories/The Origin of Love: My history, briefly/Meeting the Great God Pan

BCdan

Heres my perspective for what its worth. 

I don't think the government should have a say in private contracts signed between consenting adults.  All the benefits of marriage should be benefits that can be signed through any normal contract without calling it marriage.  If you want to call your specific contract a marriage contract, then that is between you and whomever you love.  Not the government. 

I know a lot of people would refer to the presence of special tax incentives to get married.  As a low tax kind of guy, those tax cuts should simply be extended to everyone.  With or without marriage. 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Maxwell Malamute

That would be nice, but it not the case in reality, in terms of social security benefits, custody, and a whole host of other issues. If civil unions = marriage rights, fine. But they don't.

God bless the Kingdom of Sweden.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Maxwell Malamute on June 25, 2011, 06:53:57 PM

I wonder what the last states to legalize gay marriage will be, it if continues on a state by state basis? My guess is Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas.
In an analysis from a couple years back, noted pollster Nate Silver estimated it would be Mississippi.

www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/will-iowans-uphold-gay-marriage.html

I think if the courts don't overturn Prop 8 in California, the voters will. Quite a lot of non-voters were shocked by the bill's passage, and the electorate has shifted leftward on this issue in the last couple of years. In an electoral rematch, I'm not sure the anti-equality side could pull out another razor-thin victory like they did in 2008.
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

BCdan

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on July 03, 2011, 11:39:11 PM
In an analysis from a couple years back, noted pollster Nate Silver estimated it would be Mississippi.

www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/will-iowans-uphold-gay-marriage.html

I think if the courts don't overturn Prop 8 in California, the voters will. Quite a lot of non-voters were shocked by the bill's passage, and the electorate has shifted leftward on this issue in the last couple of years. In an electoral rematch, I'm not sure the anti-equality side could pull out another razor-thin victory like they did in 2008.

It feels like they only pulled off such a victory because the question on the ballot was worded rather strangely.  A lot of people thought they should vote yes on prop 8 only to realize that they were supposed to vote no to legalize gay marriage.  Another factor I feel is that a lot of people thought it was in the bag when really it was a lot closer than people thought. 

Hopefully it gets legalized soon. 

~I enjoy random PM's~