I think I just Geekgasmed....

Started by Sasquatch421, September 23, 2012, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch421

In 1974, Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson gave our dinner tables a new use: table top gaming. I just read in my new edition of Game Informer that they are reprinting the original rules of AD&D with original art and content. It is being called Dungeons and Dragons First Edition Premium Player's Handbook. I'm not sure when it's coming out, but I am damn sure reserving a copy if I can from my local store....

I'm just curious if anyone else is excited or has the original books? I know that Ox had the original Monster Manual at his tattoo shop in Australia because I browsed through it while waiting for my turn at the needle....

Oniya

I have the original Deities and Demigods - the one before they yoinked Melnibone, Newhon, and Cthulhu. (Dear gods, my spell checker recognizes Cthulhu. :o)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Silverfyre

I received a copy of the original white box set for 1st edition DnD years back and have it locked up nicely in the house safe.  It's fun to take out and read it over from time to time.  I'd love to get a copy of this limited edition/commemorative book.  It looks sexy.

Chris Brady

I have the original AD&D monster manual.  Although I picked up the premium special edition three books.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TentacleFan

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 23, 2012, 10:42:19 PM
I have the original AD&D monster manual.  Although I picked up the premium special edition three books.

I have the original AD&D manuals but I had some extra credit at my FLGS so I went ahead and got the three new reprints. Kind of nice with the gold leaf and the cloth bookmarks.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Sweet Domina

I purchased all three of the reprints, just for nostalgia-sake. I couldn't help myself! I have several books already- monstrous compendiums, drow handbook and so on. Lots of books from other editions as well. I can't seem to stop collecting them...
**On indefinite Hiatus**

At one time I was an avid roleplayer on Elliquiy. I regret none of my time spent here, but my life has changed and my tastes evolved. I find myself preferring face to face roleplay, such as around a table playing Dungeons and Dragons or World of Darkness (I used to juggle multiple of both, quite exhausting). I also seem to have lost my enjoyment of the smuttier aspects of online roleplay that I used to love, and several attempts at rekindling that have failed. To all my roleplay partners, I love the stories we made together and still think you're all awesome.

Skynet

Got the 1st Edition Premium Reprints.  They're great, both for historical value and on its own merits.  It's a good RPG which can stand on its own merits; newer editions have a lot of the same trappings, but 1st Edition had its own personality (particularly in the Dungeon Master's Guide) and playstyle.

And it looks like they're continuing with Unearthed Arcana and 2nd Edition Reprints!

I must have them all!

Ironwolf85

my friends will buy it, then we shall play it, realize you can't read without putting ranks in it, then half the party will die horribly, and we shall enjoy ourselves.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

I looked with LOTS of nostalgia. I read the article on how it was literally a rework from the ground up as the typesets and layouts they had originally used had been lost years ago and they were having to literally look from page to print layout on the computer to get everything set up right. The printing tech had changes that much in the years since.

VenusEnvy

I have the core rule book and monster manual from like 2nd edition. But I would totally love to have a re-print of the 1st edition! I love the art in the books, so yeah I'd be all over that!
"It's a very dangerous weapon to know what you're doing." -William Murderface from Dethklok

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places.  If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale.  Understanding others - the other elements, and the other nations - will help you become whole." - Uncle Iroh

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157127.msg7203032#msg7203032

My Ons and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157596.msg7228923#msg7228923

Lux12

Yes!I've been hoping they would do this for years now.I also had a certain dislike for the 3.5 rules but that's just me.The 4.0 I'm iffy on.

VenusEnvy

Quote from: Lux12 on November 12, 2012, 03:42:19 AM
Yes!I've been hoping they would do this for years now.I also had a certain dislike for the 3.5 rules but that's just me.The 4.0 I'm iffy on.

I've only played on 3.5 and 4.0 after playing 4.0 I feel it's much better than 3.5 Combat goes by a little easier and skills are condensed immensely. For example; Skills like swim and climb are combined into Athletics. I like it because you don't have to waste points going into each of these individually.   
"It's a very dangerous weapon to know what you're doing." -William Murderface from Dethklok

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places.  If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale.  Understanding others - the other elements, and the other nations - will help you become whole." - Uncle Iroh

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157127.msg7203032#msg7203032

My Ons and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157596.msg7228923#msg7228923

Lux12

The rules i was introduced to by father didn't have such things at all.I felt with 3.5 they were trying to do too much and ended up making a system that was agonizing to use.

NotoriusBEN

I admit I like 4th ed. more than the previous editions. And Im completely aware of the MMO party feel, and long combats, but I still like it because each class introduced had a set role to play in the party. It was incredibly easy to teach new players and get them going if they had an idea of what they were to do in battle.

Probably the big thing I liked was all the different variations on healers. You didnt need a cleric. you could use a warlord, a bard, or a shaman instead, and they had their schtick as well for helping the party, be it combat boosts, enemy debuffs or an unkillable minion.