News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

So... I need an upgrade

Started by Amberghylles, December 06, 2008, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amberghylles

Alright, first it was just that MSN made it crash.  But now my rather obsolete instant messenger program has lost Yahoo and so I fear I must replace it.

I'm using GAIM, and when it merged and became Pigin I wasn't really pleased with it so I kept the old one.  But now it's fallen far enough behind that I fear I must get a new IM program.

I use AIM, YIM, and if it'll do MSN all the better.  So... what do folks use and like?  I'm in the market and looking for that precious word of mouth recommendation.

Revolverman

Trieste

I use Trillian, and it has been good to me. Only once have I had issues with it ... and that was when, for some reason, this one contact of mine would message me from his phone. If he was on AIM from his PC, it was fine, but as soon as he IMed me from his phone, boom. Crash. Never did figure out what it was.

Yahoo was out for a lot of people last night, including me.

Oniya

If you want to communicate with as many different services as possible, I'll throw in on the Trillian vote.  I don't use it myself, but I have friends who recommend it.

Plus, it's named after a Douglas Adams character - how can that be a bad thing?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

I use Trillian - it takes a while to get used to, but once I did, I've never looked back. It allows for multiple usernames at once, multiple IM programs at once, and it keeps every nicely color-coded. It's got its flaws, but for its purpose, it does a spectacular job.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Amberghylles

Hmm... well It was giving me a message along the lines of 'Yahoo is using an unrecognized authentication method.' and then the address (outdated) to check for updates and a recomendation to do so.

But now Yahoo's working... so maybe it was not on my end.

But I'm still going to give trillian a look.  I need to find something less than a year old after all.  Thanks for the comments and suggestions all.