Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capone

I know this technically isn't a "gaming news" thread, but I didn't want to make yet another video games related thread when most seem to die on the vine.

The F2P Bandai Namco developed Project Treasure has been renamed to Lost Reavers and has a new gameplay trailer featuring an incredibly enthusiastic announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CHF7o2Z88

It's a WiiU game, which means I'll probably have a good chance of giving it a spin. I've really loved the WiiU and the games on it, so I'm always interested in new releases for it.

Revelation

I finished Lisa: The Joyful earlier today. The Joyful is an epilogue of sorts to Lisa: The Painful RPG which was a game released last year. Painful had something of an earthbound humor to it, taking place in a post apocalyptic setting where all the women in the world have vanished save for one: A little girl named Buddy that is adopted by the main character. She gets kidnapped by a warlord seeking to unite the land, and it's up to you to rescue her. The first game was mostly a mix of macabre humor and some more emotional parts, as the main character did not have a good past before meeting Buddy.

Joyful lacks most of the humor, and instead delivered a constant barrage of emotional gut punches instead, which really grinds you down. Both have some great soundtracks, and I would definitely recommend the two games. Can get them both for $15 total on steam, though obviously they'll be cheaper when they go on sale. One con against them is that they are an RPGmaker game - which could be an issue for some people as I do think buying rpgmaker made games can be a huge gamble. The games really original though, and the story is fantastic. Give it a shot.

Eranil Morathim

Started playing Diablo III again last week and I've realized that even at level 65, my Demon Hunter is kinda sad, need to work on him more.

Capone

I'm currently being reminded of the value of comfort games. Typically I feel like I should be making progress on unplayed games, and traditionally haven't had games that I come back to regularly sans a "completion" state. However, I've been picking Destiny back up, the Splatfest for Splatoon is a great way to keep me wrangled into that wonderful little bitty (#TeamDecepticons), and last night had a wonderful time jamming on Smash Bros. with old friends (well, known friends) and new acquaintances.

Each game is incredibly well designed with fine-tuned mechanics. The concept of "little content" always frustrates me because you get games like these that, sure, aren't always loaded to the brim with 100 hours of content you may never see, but it's all about the quality over quantity. These games continue to provide hours of entertainment, and there's still things I'm left discovering.

TentacleFan

I've been splitting time between The Witcher 3 : The Wild Hunt on my PS4 & Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection on my Vita at the moment. I've been enjoying them both.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Mathim

Just bought the Legendary Edition of Skyrim. Liking it, very atmospheric, even more so than the Fallout games (if only because there's more terrain than just desert wasteland) but I dislike the lack of VATS combat, I feel like enemies block my attacks way too easily and there's no way to reliably read when a good moment of vulnerability is to strike them. Also I can't seem to pick things up like in Fallout, so I can't just take off one of my heavy armors from my inventory to keep me from being overencumbered and carrying it on the field. Anyone got any good news for me or am I going to have to be really, really patient?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sasquatch421

Mathim, if you use the Steed Stone it grants 100 extra carrying capacity, no movement penalty due to armor and whatever armor your wearing is weightless. I like to use it for my heavy armor characters until I can get their strength up more. If I remember correctly it is up around Solitude...

I'm bouncing around between Castlevania: SOTN and Bulletstorm myself...

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on September 02, 2015, 09:11:49 PM
Mathim, if you use the Steed Stone it grants 100 extra carrying capacity, no movement penalty due to armor and whatever armor your wearing is weightless. I like to use it for my heavy armor characters until I can get their strength up more. If I remember correctly it is up around Solitude...

I'm bouncing around between Castlevania: SOTN and Bulletstorm myself...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the DS is my favorite entry in the series. Really love how well it blends RPG elements into the platforming.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Diablo 3.  Just made paragon 200 and almost have all the gear I need to start pushing higher greater rifts.  Started playing Destiny about two weeks ago and with the coming changes in TTK, I'll be playing it for at least another six months.  I just hope they don't try to sell us something like The Dark Below again, its content was shit and honestly wasn't worth the price they were asking. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Eranil Morathim

Mathim, I'm not sure if it got patched but I know there used to be an alchemy loop glitch my buddy helped me exploit. Thanks to that I have a pair of boots that allow me to carry over 9000 pounds.

GanonDwarf

I've been playing some Super Mario Maker, trying to make the raddest level. And playing some cool ones to. If anyone wants to share some levels, I'm game!
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Kyuss

Mario Maker and Smash 4 are taking up the majority of my gaming time. I still play Splatoon sometimes, and little indie games here and there like Hotline Miami and Braid.

Mario Maker is a ton of fun, though I have always been notoriously awful at 2D platformers.

Sevenpercentsolution

Until Dawn.  I'm like obsessed.  The characters are just so much fun.

Blythe

Been playing Cook, Serve, Delicious on Steam. Cute little game, not remotely serious, just a nifty little speed-based restaurant game. Surprisingly addicting for such a simple game. Worth the $10 I spent on it.

And finally got Dragon Age: Inquisition at long last.

Inkidu

One-Finger Death Punch. Addictive, and surprisingly gory.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sara Nilsson

Undertale!

oh my god what a fantastic fucking game this is!! so much depth, and so much fun. Sure the graphics are not much to write home about but it is hella fun

Skynet

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 09, 2015, 08:29:50 PM
Undertale!

oh my god what a fantastic fucking game this is!! so much depth, and so much fun. Sure the graphics are not much to write home about but it is hella fun

I second this motion.  I haven't played such a great game in a long time.  I highly recommend any fan of the genre check it out for themselves.  The positive acclaim from reviews isn't exaggerated, it's really well-done.

LuckyOwl

I was just mentioning it on the other games thread :p Yes, Undertale is freaking amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't read reviews before you play it either. Just dive right in, the experience comes out better for it.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Revelation

I'll fourth undertale. Definitely an underdog of the year, and a game with amazing writing and actual humor to it. Challenging as well, if you want to have a bad time.

I've also been playing Vermintide, which is basically left 4 dead but with melee and rats (Skaven). Very fun, but it can obviously be frustrating with bad groups.

Ontan

Quote from: LuckyOwl on October 28, 2015, 02:22:47 PM
Yes, Undertale is freaking amazing. Do yourself a favor and don't read reviews before you play it either.

I haven’t got the game, but I’m guessing that was good advice. After trying the demo and having mixed feelings, I thought I’d read a few (allegedly spoiler-free) reviews, and they completely ruined a few of the game’s surprises, which kind of sucks.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

No really, it’s a spoiler.
Spoilception

In the reviews’ defence, none of it was anything directly related to the story, but they revealed certain game mechanics that I’m guessing were supposed to be a surprise, namely:

-The game takes note of reloads / quits, especially around moral dilemmas;
-The game deliberately crashes in points to psyche out the player; and
-There are three endings (genocide, neutral, and pacifist) depending on who you kill. Even generic mobs affect the outcome.

I’m still on the fence about buying it. On the one hand, the demo just felt like a generic JRPG, and thanks to a few tactless reviews, I’ve also got a bunch of disembodied spoilers that’ve already soured the Undertale experience. On the other hand, the gaming community has been singing its praises non-stop, and I’m assured there’s some amazing writing and humour once you get past the slightly tedious tutorial zone (i.e. the exact moment the demo ends).

The current plan is to add it to a wishlist, and pick it up on sale. I know, it’s only $10 to begin with… but it’s about the principle!

Lustful Bride

Undertale...God Bless this game. I haven't been hit so hard by the feels train so much before.

Bedroom Lazarus

Mordheim: City of the Damned for when I take breaks from Fallout 4.  Based on the board game, this is a turn based strategy game where you take on the role of one of four factions from Warhammer Fantasy exploring a decrepit city blasted by a metiorite, gathering up fragments, fighting other war bands.  The game is sort of perma Ironman so if your characters are knocked out or wounded severely they roll for wounds.  You might end up with a guy with only one arm or a fractured skull who you can fire..but veterency plays a huge part...so you may have to sacrifice a lot of skills to do it.  That keeps me nervous and invested in the game and I've been having a blast with campaign mode (not sure i'm ready to fight other people till I polish my skills/builds)
Passion is something no man can resist eternally.
Temptation will burn through a soul, devour its purity and intoxicate all those who are in its path.
Fret not oh lost little lamb, for you shall be led by the wolf with a cross to the green pastures promised you all the same. 
Open to ideas and messages

The Sins that Beckon Me

Ryven

7 Days to Die on Steam.  It is a brutal game.

Samael

Hey guys, need a little help.

I am currently looking for good/fun online co-op games on steam.
Any suggestions?

We have "Sonic All-star Racing transformed", "Don't Starve Together", "Saints Row IV" and the "Trine 1 + 2" games.

Looking for more in the vein of those.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Mathim

Downloaded a bunch of virtual console games on my Wii U, so fucking happy they put Donkey Kong 64 on there, and replaced the originally removed Donkey Kong Country 1-3 games. So stoked about my nostalgic era games being available again! It's not even that hard to get into the control scheme with the Wii U game pad.

Also downloaded the Gameboy Advance game Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap. I don't remember it being as difficult to figure out where to go or what to do the first time I played it, but this time around, it is incredibly unclear on what needs to be done to unlock the next objectives. Good thing I have net access, or I'd be stuck permanently.