What exactly counts as a "view"?

Started by Banderas, July 07, 2009, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banderas

For instance, say a thread has 5 replies and 20 views. I can revisit the thread as often as I like, but obviously the view count will not grow as a result.  So does each "view" count as a visit from a distinct entity?  I'm hoping someone can expound on this.

Vekseid

Each unique url visit (unique meaning, the same person visiting a url based on cookie or login) counts as a view. Typically this means that a person only counts as a view until there is another post in a thread, so when they look at it they may trigger another view.

Banderas

Quote from: Vekseid on July 07, 2009, 03:06:52 PM
Each unique url visit (unique meaning, the same person visiting a url based on cookie or login) counts as a view. Typically this means that a person only counts as a view until there is another post in a thread, so when they look at it they may trigger another view.

So then, until the thread expands, a unique url can view the thread only once as far as the view count is concerned.  Once it expands with another reply, and if the unique url revisits the thread, then the view count will rise again.  Do I have it right?

Also, I assume editing one's own thread does not affect view counts as far as a unique url revisiting a thread between edits.

Fascinating stuff!

Vekseid

A unique visitor. By 'unique url view', I mean that - you will notice that if there is a new post in a thread, the url you view is typically different.

Banderas