News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oranje

I've just started playing Skyrim after having the discs lying around for years, and WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS STUFF WAS GREAT EARLIER?

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: oranje on April 23, 2016, 12:48:50 AM
I've just started playing Skyrim after having the discs lying around for years, and WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS STUFF WAS GREAT EARLIER?

Even if it wasn't super fun and awesome how non-linear it and the others can be, I just love the mythos.

drummer2006jk

I got a buddy who lent me his copy of Dark Souls III so I may try that out. Heard it is really good.

BrandedOne

Guessing there's not a lot of MMO players here, kinda surprised I didn't see anyone mention Black Desert Online yet, or maybe I just didn't go back far enough.

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: drummer2006jk on April 23, 2016, 09:30:18 AM
I got a buddy who lent me his copy of Dark Souls III so I may try that out. Heard it is really good.

Have you played the other ones?

Bliss

O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

drummer2006jk

Recently started playing through the Metro games, just about the to complete 2033 and about to start Last Light after that.

Skynet

Playing Saint's Row IV. It's pretty much the best superhero game never made; the use of powers would be a great fit for a lot of existing franchises, in that the core construct of gameplay isn't broken six ways to Sunday just because you can hop entire city blocks and outrun cars. The humor helps as well.

SmokingCamels

I just finished the entire Dragon Age trilogy.

DA: Inqusition > Witcher 3 > Skyrim.  Skyrim = Good times. 

Some of the best lines in the game (Without revealing spoilers)

Iron Bull: "So, Varric, are you going to write me into one of your stories?"
Varric: "How could I not?"
Iron Bull: "When you do, make sure you describe the muscular tone right.  Cause this isn't just endurance work.  It took a lot of strength training to get here.  You wanna use words like rippling, or ripped. RIPPED!"
Varric: "The Iron Bull's belly was prone to rippling after every meal.  He rarely wore shirts as they ripped under the strain."
Iron Bull: "That hurts Varric.  That's very hurtful."

Iron Bull: "Sera.  I had a thought.  Next time we run into a line of enemies, I'll pick you up and throw you."
Sera: "Ef Off."
Iron Bull: "No! This could work.  I loft you over the front ranks.  You land behind them and flank. Mayhem ensues!"
Sera: "I can't fly you daft tit!"
Iron Bull: "Think of the mayhem Sera.  MAYHEM!"
Sera: "I'd get a wedge up something fierce!"
Iron Bull: "Look, you and Varric are the only ones small enough and he is... pretty dense."
Sera: "Well do some bloody presses!"

Vivienne: Dorian.  What did you think of Sera's last Red Jenny mission?
Dorian: I call it medium.
Vivienne: Medium?
Dorian: It wasn't rare and it wasn't well done.

:)

Sara Nilsson

I picked up a little fun game called Shadwen (http://store.steampowered.com/app/425210/) and it is really alot of fun. Normally I am not a fan of stealth games but this one does it well, and the rewind mechanic is pretty neat. So far it is a tad linear but there are a few places where you can go different routes depending on if you want to go slow and safe or risk it.

All in all a fun game for 17 bucks only

Tanken Sai

I like the  Riders of Icarus , but I have to say the riding the winged horses is a bit rough. Almost died from going to high .
May the goddess watch over you

SmokingCamels

I found the Double Dragon Trilogy on GoG.net so...  Yeah!

Now if I could just find Bad Dudes...

Mathim

So I just downloaded Citizens of Earth on Wii U, and I have to say, it's one of the best satirical RPGs out there. It's got an Earthbound vibe, with much better graphics, but it plays extremely similarly (though key items don't seem to play any part) and everything is so vibrant and animated, plus things are just so hilariously dumb when they interact with you, and your characters' reactions in turn, as well as just general enemy design and the overall story. It's worth the price to download for the character designs alone. Or at least check out the demo, you'll get a good enough feel for whether it's the JRPG for you.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RubySlippers

I'm getting back into Champions Online finally maxed out my first heroine Red Gear an Inventor but now have no superteam the last one I was in bled members to just me and well now need to find a bunch of serious heroes to team up to take on my Nemesis the terrifying Power Armor villain Primus. So expect to take awhile to complete those last missions for her.

SmokingCamels

I picked up WoW again.  Just because.  Is it just me or does that game bother anyone else's eyes after about an hour and a half?  That's always been my trouble.

I've also been toying around with Cities: Skylines.

Drake Valentine

The Technomancer is surprisingly a very good action RPG.

Pros+
Some customization for your character
Protagonist is fully voice.
Interesting party members.
Your actions carry consequences
Clothing and weapons change as you can equip yourself and allies.
You can interchange with classes(Rogue, Warrior, Guardian, Techno)  (Right now I am mastering Rogue tree and then putting whatever else in Technomancer)
Technomancer skills are actually pretty badass, I may make that path as main on next play through. (Think Jedi-ish.)
Duh, it is a RPG. Not sure how long of game of it is or max level, it took me forever to get out of starting city(like hours)

Cons-
No female option for protagonist
Your allies will occasionally stand still and if you are in a certain spot, they can 'trap' you there literally.
Your allies do not have the best AI. (Maybe I set them up wrong, I dunno.)
You can't really Jack of All Trades it. (Well, maybe you can, but if you going for certain achievements they require you to master a skill tree fully.)
............Your AI allies are dumb as bricks, but I think I covered that.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

SmokingCamels

I've thought about that game, but it got ridiculously abysmal reviews on steam for being too short, dumb AI, and clearly an attempt to rip off Mass Effect.  So I wanted to see and hear what other people thought first.  I don't usually pay attention to reviews, but Steams / Metacritic's were very bad.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: SmokingCamels on September 22, 2016, 08:00:29 AM
I've thought about that game, but it got ridiculously abysmal reviews on steam for being too short, dumb AI, and clearly an attempt to rip off Mass Effect.  So I wanted to see and hear what other people thought first.  I don't usually pay attention to reviews, but Steams / Metacritic's were very bad.

Short? Again, not sure of the span of it myself. I mean, there are various side quests and whatnot(dunno if there is time tracking but I am going to assume I probably put a good eight-ten hours in it already min;) also I am not sure on Mass Effect clone either. The game doesn't do planet travel, you are basically on a planet (Mars.)  There are no alien races. just Humans and Metahumans, the only weird creatures may be the mutated monsters on the planet. Don't remember Mass Effect allowing you to change your combat styles on the fly either or dual two different styles (Rogue/Technomancer in my case.) Sounds to me like a bunch of ME fanboys raving out a game that they probably want to live up to ME; but The Technomancer is its own game and its own style. Now I played some god awful live action RPGs, one that was so freaking horrible I forgot the title to it(due to bad voice acting, customization, and whatnot. Think it was some sort of 'Viking' RPG that came out shortly after PS4 release and it sucked immensely. I literally skipped character dialogue and then just gave up on that game, whatever its name was.) Technomancer has been fun on my end, I was honestly bit skeptical of it at first, before buying and downloading it off PSN, due to preview trailer not really revealing much; but it turned out to be entertaining on my end.  Every one has their taste in gaming.

Guess you could always wait for price drop or something as I can't really give you an estimate of how long it is in terms of hours for gameplay. Hell, not every RPG has to be super long to be good. Look at Force Unleashed(First one) it was a great RPG at its time and wasn't really that long in length; plus I can't even remember if it had side quests or whatnot. Unfortunately you can't force choke throw enemies on Techno.

But yea, AI is pretty dumb; but who is to say ME's AI was any better, huh?

Edit: Bound by Flame was game I was thinking of. Horrible. >.< That voice acting.... Though the big Plot Twist in this, both games are from the same Company. I was shocked when I went to see what other games Spiders did and saw BbF as one of them. They improved on the voice scale, that is for sure; maybe if they remade BbF with better voiceovers I would consider it another go.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

SmokingCamels

I have it already.  Both, actually, BbF and Technomancer.  But I haven't played either.  I do most of my gaming on the PC anymore.  The one game that got awesome reviews that I put down not more than 5 or 10 minutes into it was Banner Saga 2.  I had some trouble getting passed the western anime-ish look of it, which made it hard for me to even pick it up.  But as soon as I discovered the 2 characters, and the woe-is-me blandness of the main guy Rook and how he was constantly needing saved by his 1 armed giant friend instead of just being a bad ass?

Pffft.  Killed the game's interest right there.

Skynet

Been doing a bit of Final Fantasy 8, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Artifact Adventure (steam game).

FF8 is interesting, although it rates lower than other games in the series due to a relatively weak plot and a lot of micromanagement due to the junction system.

Revengeance is quite fun, and a bit of a challenge even on Easy.

Artifact Adventure is quite clever: an open world RPG with an 80s retro feel.

Inkidu

Quote from: Skynet on September 22, 2016, 05:35:48 PM
Been doing a bit of Final Fantasy 8, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Artifact Adventure (steam game).

FF8 is interesting, although it rates lower than other games in the series due to a relatively weak plot and a lot of micromanagement due to the junction system.

Revengeance is quite fun, and a bit of a challenge even on Easy.

Artifact Adventure is quite clever: an open world RPG with an 80s retro feel.
Final Fantasy VII's plot is hardly the weakest in the series. I actually enjoyed the deconstructions it throws onto the whole hero of destiny/fate and how truly messed up such a young person as professional soldier can be. The Junction system can be a pain, but honestly, you can pretty much put all the work in on the first disk and skate through the rest of the game. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SmokingCamels

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 22, 2016, 09:10:20 AM
Edit: Cut everything out about TECHNOMANCER to preserve space.

Okay.

So.

I have an assessment of this game.  I like it.  I'm playing as a Warrior with some technomancy skills.  I really like how it looks.  The AI isn't so smart for allies, true, and I've found myself getting "boxed" a few times.  As in... the character won't react to the controls and just stands there so he can be walloped 3 or 4 times in a row instead of doing something - ANYTHING at all.  That is annoying.  The voice acting isn't quite up to snuff with say, Bioware, but it also doesn't have the same budget.

If it's being compared to Mass Effect, those are huge, giant sized shoes to fill.  Just about everything is going to fall short.  If, however, you look at Technomancer as it's own game, a game with a different story in a different world, that took some of the best aspects of modern RPGs - open worlds, freedom of choice with your style of play, customized options, voice acting, and combat where your party doesn't stand behind you the whole time and you've got the ability to move around?  Then it's a very good game with a couple issues - none of which are graphical or game play or story related.  It's mostly with the AI and the voice acting of some of the NPCs.

Granted, I haven't gotten very far, but I have found the game up to my standards.  This is a pretty slick game.

On another note...

I have this feeling that it's a sequel to Mars: War Logs or some game similar to that name since that game also had technomancer and made mention of a few places by the same name.  The combat is also insanely similar.

Ironwolf85

Salt and Sanctuary

it's 2d but resembles dark souls in many ways, and is a ton of fun.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Galactic Druid

I'm pretty excited tonight. I finally paid off all my bills from my divorce 6 years ago, and got my own place again. For the first time in 6 years, I'm having a buddy come over to play some co-op and clink a few beers together. I'm more excited than I should be over Gears of War 4 as a result. ^^
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

WindVoyager

FNAF Sister Location. It blew my mind and I'm still looking for all the pieces.