Elliquiy Fortress (No experience necessary)

Started by Vekseid, November 20, 2007, 03:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Other forums have this, so I thought, why not us too? Basically, you choose a dwarf or dwarfette that you like, I'll name him or her after you, and we go through their adventures in fortress building, kobold slaying, and keeping children out of the hands of goblins (more difficult than you might think). Also, bugs. Yay!

You can of course make requests and such.

I found an absolutely beautiful map location:

Sure, it very probably means no adamantine (We'll get to that when I get my 30 ghz machine, I'm sure), but it can be a lot of fun. Warm climate, a river, boatloads of trees and shrubbery, a magma vent, obsidian and marble. That means steel and lots of it. What more can a dwarf want?

Besides adamantine :-(

In the interest and hope of more participants, I used adjuststart to start with 9 dwarves and only 100 points (may as well have some tradeoff).

I'm focusing on buying the hard to get skills this time, rather than starting as miners, woodcutters, herbalists, etc. It's easy to get such things up to Legendary, better to start with the skills that are harder to train. In our noble expedition leader's case, I'm starting her with Consoler and Pacifier, mainly because I have no freaking idea what they do.

Presumably console and pacify.

My general starting build, modified a bit - two more picks because of the need for a ton of mining, four dogs make for more breeding (Usually, I hope) and a small army of them. Turtles are awesome for their shells and bones, So I get lots of them. Like many others, I drop the anvil and extra battle axe for moar points.

For the uninitiated, this is over a year's worth of food and drink for our intrepid band.

Strike the Earth!

No, that's not a random name. >_>

More to come (including personality profiles and skills!)

Lirliel

I wanna be a dwarf! :D

Something warrior-like please.. or magic either :)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Vekseid

And we're off!  Sorry, no magic in this version yet. Warriorness waits until the fortress is established.

Six females, three males. Just the way I like it. >: )

We're starting on the cliff above the river, it seems.

Let's have a looksee...

Here is our magma vent, to the bottom left, on the ground (river) level. It's partially covered:

Which is on the same cliff level we embarked at. Fire imps below, so we'll avoid them until we're a bit stronger.

Lots of short cliffs, few ramps, will probably have to dig and make quite a few in order to make sure people can get around.

Except for this one, which leads to the high point of the map on the bottom right:

It's six levels above most of its surroundings, eight above the river to the north. Bit of an anomaly, it is.

A lot of these ponds are perilously close to draining:

Those aren't the only ones!  This map - very wet.

Next: Meet your dwarves.

Vekseid

First, we have Ral, our Expedition Leader.

Nothing seems to train the Conversationalist, Pacifier, or Consoler skills, so I gave her Proficient Pacifier and Consoler. In order to maker her useful, she's going to be doing some mining for us. She is strong and agile.

Next, we have Moldath. Moldath will also be mining for us, and is a proficient Fish Cleaner and Metalsmith. She is strong and tough.

Ingish is Strong and Agile. She is proficient at Building Designing, and is proficient at Brewing. She, too, will be mining.

Fourthly, we have Rigoth, a Metal Crafter / Bowyer (proficient in both). She will be our fourth and final miner for now. She is strong and agile.

The first of the Rakust sisters is a miss Sakrithkubuk, a very agile Butcher / Tanner. She will do some engraving for us while we get some stuff carved up.

The second of the Rakust sisters is miss Adilnazom. Very Tough, she is a weaponsmith / armorsmith. Like her sister, she will also be doing some engraving.

Inod is our first male on display. He is a Cook / Gem Cutter (Proficient in each like everyone else). He is strong and agile, and will be collecting plants.

For our second male, we have Avuz. He is very agile, and a proficient Wood Burner / Furnace Operator. Elves will curse his name for all time. For now, he will be collecting plants

I've claimed third and final male, and named him Vekseid, originally Kol as in the image below. He is an Animal Caretaker / Siege Engineer (combo of sensemaking, yes?), and will be doing our woodcutting. He is agile and tough.

Don't get hung up on the jobs they are currently doing - those train up fast and that's the reason they have them. The ones they start with are much more important (except perhaps for the expedition leader's, who will be getting a boatload of nobley skills). They will work them off and on until legendary, then pass them off to others.

Also, don't get -too- attached to your characters. Stuff... happens. The motto of the game is 'losing is fun' and that's really the only way to end the game, so...

Jeramiahh

As much as I'm sure he'll be one of the first killed, since the guy who goes off in the woods to gather plants usually gets eaten by a wolf or something, I'd like to lay claim to our Woodcutter friend, Avuz.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Vekseid

Burner! He won't be woodcutting until he makes legendary. The forests shall weep upon hearing his name. Or something.

Avuz is now 'Jeremiahh'!

Only one male left until the immigrants come!

Celestial Goblin

No way I'm doing the <<<SMELLY>>> work of a butcher and tanner.
I'll take the first male immigrant craftsdwarf, mechanic, carpenter or mason(in that order).

Sherona

I guess I will take a stab at this...Rigoth seems interesting..

Apple of Eris

I wanna be miss Sakrithkubuk! I'm put off by authority and tradition too! heh
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Swedish Steel

I'll be the cook! Blood and guts don't face me! :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Vekseid

Yuss!

Now we just need moar wimmins. I shall volunteer Lilac as our expeditionary leader if no one else wants Ral.

Elvi

Oh bung me in somewhere for goodness sake, not that I understand a word of it.....*smiles*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Lirliel

"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Vekseid

Just need one more volunteer to be Moldath the Immodest! >: )

Cherri Tart

oh, what the hell - i have NO idea of what is even going on, but i know immodesty - just tell me what is expected of me and i'll give it my best :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Vekseid

Absolutely nothing is expected.

However! As the game progresses you may make requests, about what goes in her room, things to make, etc. :-p

Vekseid

And that's all of them until immigrants arrive and/or kids are had. Hooray!

Cherri Tart

as a dwarf of immodest mind set, i think my first request shall be a chain mail bikini! *grins*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Swedish Steel

I need some dwarven battle bread to be sure!
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Vekseid

The journey over the mountains was long and treacherous.  Many times it was suggested that Lilac's intrepid group carve through the mountains, instead of over them. That wouldn't have left their supplies in very good condition, however, and it would be refreshing to know that the supply caravan would suffer as they had.

The mountains gave way to hills, and eventually the slopes of the great volcano that was their destination. Jeremiahh was ecstatic at the sight of the grand forests leading up its length.

Jeremiahh: "Woooooooood."
Lilac: "No, Jeri, you're not burning the forests right now. Go pick plants."
Jerimiahh: "But-!"
Lilac: "Go pick plants!"
Jerimiahh: "...yes ma'am."

Lilac surveyed the land for a bit, and found a nice spot to make their entrance.

Lilac: "Alright ladies! We're-"
Vekseid: "And gentlemen!"
Lilac: "What have I told you about voicing your delusions?"
Vekseid: "But-!"
Cherri Tart: "Not very gentle either."
Lilac: "Enough! We're going to be digging out our home here!"

Elvi: "Next to the river that could easily be redirected to drown us all?"

Lilac: "Yes! For... the kingdom!"
Sherona: "Murakkilruddastot Rabed!"
Swedish Steel: "Or, as the humans call it, the Bold Bronze Sword of Freckles!"
Lilac: "Silence! No human speech here, miss!"
Swede: "But we're-"
Lilac: "Go pick plants!"
Swede: "And I'm not a miss!"
Lilac: "NO MORE SHARED DELUSIONS, GO PICK PLANTS!"
Swede: "...yes ma'am."

And so Swede and Jeri went off picking plants, and Vekseid grabbed the ax and began a deforestation operation.

Lilac: "I swear when I get my way we will have a halfway decent name-"
Apple of Eris: "Is that treason I hear?"
Lilac: "Not yet. Let's clear a path down and dig some banks into the river in case any of those idiots falls in."
Sherona: "Yes ma'am!"

Lirliel: "Uhh, Lilac... what are Elvi and I supposed to be doing.
Lilac: "Oh go pound boulders into the dirt or something. Build muscles. We'll need them."

And so the intrepid band dug. Or about half of it did. And dug some more. And when they were done digging into rock, they dug a bit extra just to be sure. Because, really now, what self-respecting dwarf wants to sleep under clay?

CT: "Ooh a floating prickle berry!"
Lilac: "No, Cherri, you can't dive after it."
CT: "But aren't you going to have Vekseid cut down that tree?"
Lilac: "If it survives." She hoped it didn't. Floating logs were almost as annoying as floating trees.

Upon reaching the bottom and clearing it out, Lilac kissed the marble. "Mmmm future steel."

With that cheerful prospect in mind, Lilac began inexpertly laying out a modular fortress plan.

Elvi

*hands Lirliel a huge hammer and goes off to smash rocks sniggering at the men picking daisies*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Lirliel

*Hammers away with glee! Whilst snickering at the flower-power men*

Cherri Tart

*tries to fish floating pickle berry out of the water with a stick*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Sherona

*Shovels through the dirt, keeping an eye on the other dwarves in case one of them tries something sneaky*

Vekseid

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 23, 2007, 09:34:47 AM
*tries to fish floating pickle berry out of the water with a stick*

It's actually floating in mid-air :-p