News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dresden Files system game

Started by HairyHeretic, April 13, 2010, 02:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Well, to be fair, Fae in Dresdenverse do not quite work the same way as WoD (Old or New) Fae.  There's no Duress, and Fetches...I don't really remember on that.  For a good description of Dresdenverse Changelings, check out this link:  http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2009/01/05/changeling/

Schrödinger

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 14, 2010, 11:09:36 AM
Well, to be fair, Fae in Dresdenverse do not quite work the same way as WoD (Old or New) Fae.  There's no Duress, and Fetches...I don't really remember on that.  For a good description of Dresdenverse Changelings, check out this link:  http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2009/01/05/changeling/

Then I'll settle for something else just as easily, no worries. Might have to see a few characters, and I'll plow through the rules again as well, but if people submit characters, I'm very likely sure to follow.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

HairyHeretic

If you want a fae angle, then the best choices are either the changeling (half human, half fae) or the Summer / Winter Knight, who is a mortal emissary to the fae court, and tends to have a fair degree of power.

Everyone is free to toss in ideas for a location, and we basically design the city together. Character creation is also done in a similar manner, and this is used to establish links to the other players.

I thought that New Orleans would make a pretty good location if we set the game in the US, or Prague if we want to go further afield. I'm vetoing central / South America (Red Court vampire central) and Scotland (White Council HQ). Outside of those areas, we can at least consider them.

Personally I'm looking for a venue with plenty of history (quality or quantity), and the more spooky stuff the better :) Haunted castles, tunnel networks under the city, local monsters, and all the other fun stuff I can inflict ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Schrödinger

New Orleans sounds good. A nice southern atmosphere with plenty of opportunities to hide a darker side of things in myriad ways. Swamps and wetlands could provide a slant for all kinds of natural slanted oddities, while the city itself is rife with people from all walks of life - steady supply of newcomer weirdness or being targets of the local weirds, so to speak.

Set in some future rebuilt New Orleans, though, or pre-Katrina or even post-Katrina without the extensive damages from the disaster that happened to the real city?

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

MadPanda

See, that's why I suggested a mash-up of Seattle and Portland via PM--the Underground!  Not to mention some awfully colorful characters from the early days.  :P  Not as much history as, say, Prague, which has some really cool scenery...(I also suggested Dublin.)

Miami could be interesting, I admit.

New Orleans, though...meh.  I can't quite get excited about it.  Maybe I just OD'd on it recently or something, because it would seem a natural.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

The problem is that I think that the Fae courts are only allowed to have one Knight.  And for anyone who's followed the books, only one of those positions is ever open during the book series.  So, either we'd have to do Dresden Files: The Next Generation, and put it after the book series; or we'd have to do an AU after the book that primarily deals with the two Knights.

And if you're looking for places with history & spooky stuff, I can offer up a few possible locations.  New Orleans is definitely good.  Who knows, maybe we'll run into some voodoo practitioners down there.  Other places include Bucharest (traditionally associated with the legend of Dracula, and the now shattered Black Court); London (Tower of London? Jack the Ripper?  Hello?); and Venice (which you might not think of as spooky...but there's plenty of intrigue there, believe me).

MadPanda

Officially, the Faerie Courts are only allowed one Knight each.  And officially, there are only two Faerie Courts.  But there's this cute sidebar that muses on the possibility of, say, a Spring and Autumn court.  Or perhaps there are empowered people who go by other titles!  Fae are all about the rules, y'know...

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Additionally they suggested Squires to the Knights as well. Or even a knight like position to an equally powerful fae .. how about Senechal of the Wild Hunt and the goblin court?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Paladin

I'd certainly bee interested. I'm going to buy the prerelease bundle soon.

MadPanda

The more the merrier!  Although you might be getting recruited to help out, because if everyone who's interested shows up and generates a character, this's gonna be a pretty big game...  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

I'd be on board with the Spring and Autumn Courts...except in twelve books, Harry nor any of the Fae have even made mention of them, and those would be hard to classify as Seelie/Unseelie.  The Wild Hunt thing, though...maybe.

HairyHeretic

There's also the Emissary of a Power type thing ... an ancient dragon, or a half forgotten God. There's at least one Valkyrie running around the place.

You also have scions, people whose ancestry gets .. interesting .. a little ways back.

Or, to give you an idea I originally came up with for an Angel/Buffy game ... my character was a small time thief, who stole an odd looking sword from some old army guys house. What he didn't realise was the sword came from a Marine who had got it from a Japanese officer, who had looted it from a Chinese temple in WW2, and it happened to have a demon bound in it for over a thousand years. The demon, having had a thousand years of Buddhist teachings to listen to, had gone a little strange, and decided to seek its own Buddha nature .. which meant fighting evil at every opportunity. It was still stuck in the blade, but could empower (or possess) the wielder. And now my boy had the sword, he was bound to it too .. damn mystic guardian crap.

He wants a quiet life, his sword wants to fight demons. What's a guy to do?

There's plenty of options out there :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ReijiTabibito

It's funny that you mention Buffy/Angel...because the picture that I've got in my head for the character concept that I will probably be using...is David Boreanaz (aka Angel) for his appearance.  Oh, I'd be using the Champion of God archetype, by the way.

HairyHeretic

Sounds like we have enough to start up a setting and character creation thread then. What level would people like the game? We can default it to Bon and move it as necessary.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Do we even have the ability to make characters?  Far as I'm aware, we don't have the list of necessary abilities, stats, and whatevers to properly generate a character.  A character concept, and history, sure, but a complete character?

HairyHeretic

By my count there are at least 3 of us so far with access to the PDFs. Once we have concepts put together, we can suggest possible skills and abilities that could suit. I'll have a look on the RPG site, I think they listed some stuff there too.

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DFRPG-Powers-Listing.pdf
Supernatural powers

and on the downloads page they have a sample of city generation too

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/downloads/

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Archivist

I like the idea of Miami, or Prague. New Orleans, eh, it's already got the voodoo background and stint to it.

I think I would have to go with a straight up Wizard.. I don't know if I can do Dresden justice, but damn I'll try!

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

Hiraku kagi wa kitto kimi ni te no naka

Jeramiahh

I was tossing around my idea earlier today; a Focused Practitioner, a Kinetamancer, who throws punches much the same way Harry's rings fire off kinetic energy. He's also a lightweight boxer, who (ab)uses his talent to throw punches that could knock a heavyweight flat on his ass. I have a few other details to make him interesting, but that's my High Concept.

I'm good with any city, myself, but I personally prefer things a little further north than New Orleans; I'm not much of a Southerner, myself.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 14, 2010, 04:51:33 PM
By my count there are at least 3 of us so far with access to the PDFs. Once we have concepts put together, we can suggest possible skills and abilities that could suit. I'll have a look on the RPG site, I think they listed some stuff there too.

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DFRPG-Powers-Listing.pdf
Supernatural powers

and on the downloads page they have a sample of city generation too

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/downloads/

I have the PDFs now. I had to spend some of my saved GENCON money on it buuut..... I was gonna buy them at GENCON anyways.

Paladin

I must say I LOVE the blurbs in the margins

MadPanda

Yeah.  There goes my gaming budget from here to June.  :-\

Happy reading! 

The marginal bickering between Harry and Bob and Bill alone makes the book that much more fun!  And now I'm curious to actually read the original books, especially for details like Sue...

In Memory of Bishrook

Jeramiahh

Oh, absolutely... they nailed the characters spot on. I love Dresden's complete lack of understanding of RPGs, as a way of having a way for the author to explain concepts, without having to be hamfisted with them in the text. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

ReijiTabibito

Wait, the book is out?  I thought it was just on preorder, and wouldn't come out until June?