News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

BBCode : List Function giving me a real fight

Started by Faustus, November 12, 2015, 10:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faustus

So, just wondering what I'm doing wrong here. . .

I have a code I'm using when making lists. I'll list what I'm making and then the code I'm using with it:

Now, this works the first time. I don't have ANY problems out of it when I first create it and post it. But if I need to
edit the post later, all of a sudden EVERYTHING messes up and I get mysterious extra [/list]s at the end of the post. Nothing breaks and it still works, but these extraneous [/list]s just keep adding up with every edit.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a simple coding somewhere or am I pushing the list capability beyond what it likes doing. . . ? Any help is appreciated!

Code beneathe here

[list][li][url=I'd put a link here]Information | Words Words[/url]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words
[b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words[/li][/li]
[li][url=I'd put a link here]And then I would | repeat this sometimes[/url]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] And create more
[b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Etc, Etc[/li][/li][/list]

Edit: Actually, we can also see that it just totally mucked this post beyond words too. And added the extra [/list]s to the original code and. Um. Yeah. I'm beginning to think I'm pushing the limitations of the list function and not providing it something that it demands. Hm.

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

The Dark Raven

As someone who would normally use the list function nested, I'm rather interested in seeing the mechanics of making this work.  Someone else had the same issue and it was fixed in their post, but never explained how we can fix it ourselves.

Are we able, as users, to fix it, or is it something the mods must fix?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nico

Like this maybe?

and some more...

[list][li][url=I'd put a link here]Information | Words Words[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words[/li]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words[/li][/list][/list]
[list][li][url=I'd put a link here]And then I would | repeat this sometimes[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] And create more[/li]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Etc, Etc[/li][/list][/list]

and some more...

[list][li][url=I'd put a link here]Information | Words Words[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words[/li]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Words[/li][/list][/list]
[list][li][url=I'd put a link here]And then I would | repeat this sometimes[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] And create more[/li]
[li][b]Subtitle Heading:[/b] Etc, Etc[/li][/list][/list]

Faustus

THAT'LL DO, THANK YOU.

So, seems what I ultimately was missing a LOT of was a crap-ton of extra
    s. Like. Everywhere. If you think you have used too many, you haven't used enough.  ;) Thank you, Nicholas!

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Nico

Mhm, that list coding can be tricky. Gave me a lot of headache, still does sometimes! ;D You're welcome!

Faustus

Okay, I do have one more question. When I actually put these into practice after editing in the information I need, I get huge gaps between the list sections instead of it running pretty smoothly together.

Please don't mind that I'm taking this straight from the Timeline I'm coding for my Group Game.

[font=georgia][size=14pt][color=#c85a17]   [b]2010[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[list][li][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=231455.msg11612075#msg11612075]25 January, 2010 | FBI Office → Jade's Apartment[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Summary:[/b]Bakht and Jade meet by chance in the cafeteria at the FBI Office – but end up creating a friendship. And something more?[/li]
[li][b]Involving:[/b] Bakht Nitesh and Jade Lyore[/li][/list][/list]
[list][li][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=231455.msg11420976#msg11420976]10 August, 2010 | Cornell University: Sheldon Court Residence Hall[/url][/li]
[list][li][b]Summary:[/b] Bernard Price and Jibril Fairfax have been best friends for years, but it didn't always start that way. When they first meet as roommates at Cornell, friendship was the furthest thing from their minds.[/li]
[li][b]Involving:[/b] Bernard Price and Jibril Fairfax[/li][/list][/list]

Everything else seems right, but. . . >> Those spaces are huge.

EDIT: OOP, I FIGURED IT OUT. When I copy+pasted I included, like, a whole line of blank space in my word document. That could do it. <<;

Beguile's Mistress

Listing is so much fun that I'd rather do the thing in Word, make a screen capture, save it somewhere and post an image of it. ;D

Faustus

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 12, 2015, 11:04:09 AM
Listing is so much fun that I'd rather do the thing in Word, make a screen capture, save it somewhere and post an image of it. ;D

I swear, I am *thiiiiisss* close to it with this bloody thing.

Advice to other GMs: don't do this. Your players love you, but your eyes will hate you.