Mutants and Masterminds, anyone? (Looking for GM, other players)

Started by Angie, October 03, 2019, 07:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFcommando

As new recruits, would they be relatively new heroes?  I have a couple of somewhat-involved backstories... the trained vigilante hurled back through time and space to an era of swords, savagery and sorcery after the fall of Atlantis, stuck there for years before finding a way back (where much less time has passed).  And so she's now a bikini warrior mage (possibly with no bikini).   Or, (shamelessly cribbed from some hentai anime), someone who was an anti-demon sex ninja in high school, but the sex demons have been (mostly) defeated or come to an accommodation, so now that she's in college, she needs a new calling, and super-hero-ing might do the trick. 

That might be too much though, so a "had an origin, joining the team" could work more smoothly.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

caelcormac

I'm looking at a character that isn't a total rookie but is new to the big leagues. They've been in San Francisco a few years mostly stopping minor crimes and getting a following on social media (like Spider Man does in the recent game). Now she has one big villian collar under her belt and has been recruited by Eden to do more than stop muggers and save cats from trees

Zaval

So, after having wrapped my head around the character creation (and looking at powers was TRIPPY, even if I finally get just how potent the system can be with enough imagination), I started making the teleport-based hero. But half-way through, a new idea just sort of popped into my head, and it kinda went away from me. So while I may still look into a teleport-based character, I found something a bit sillier, and possibly more in line with the lewd themes for this campaign.

Here's my WIP character sheet for 'Division.'

Division, Background

Name: Jason Brand
Profession: Intern (former), Superhero
Alias: Division
Background: A lab assistant who was caught in a physics experiment gone awry, Jason Brand has discovered he came away from the experiment...improved. A stronger physique. A sharper mind. Everything a young man could ever dream of.

And he's no longer alone. Before, he was a meek man. Now, he's a literal crowd at will.

With the ability to literally be in several places at one, he's resolved that he's gained his abilities for a reason. As a result, with his ability to do multiple things at once, he's worked over the past year to improve himself. Exercising, learning first-aid, learning self-defense, athletics, a variety of skills - he even has a spare self to ensure his social life isn't neglected!

Taking on the name Division, he is one of the newer members of the Eden City team, and is relatively new to the superhero profession. But don't worry.

He's got your back.

All of him does.

...they're all still confused by the tenses, admittedly.

Lewd Note: For the right kind of girl, he could very well provide some interesting possibilities...

Division, Character Sheet

PL: 10 (140/150 points)

Abilities:
STR: 5
STA: 5
AGL: 4
DEX: 3
FGT: 3
INT: 4
AWE: 2
PRE: 2

Skills:
- Acrobatics 6
- Athletics 6
- Close Combat (Unarmed) 10
- Investigation 4
- Treatment 4

Advantages:
- Agile Feint
- All-Out Attack
- Close Attack 5
- Connected
- Contacts
- Defensive Attack
- Improved Critical 4
- Improved Disarm
- Improved Grab
- Improved HOld
- Improvised Weapon 5
- Interpose
- Jack of all Trades
- Power Attack
- Teamwork

Powers
- Duplication 10 (Exact copy of Division)
- Multiple Minions 4
- Horde 4
- Mental Link

This is probably a terrible character sheet, and I still have 10 points I could spend, but I'd love to hear any feedback. :P

Zaval

Huh. Is it?

My understanding from the Handbook was that:

"Effect: Summon Duplicate, Active. 3 points per rank."

Rank 10 of this would be 30 points, followed by Multiple Minions 4 (which is 2 points per rank), Horde 4 (1 cost per rank) and Mental Link (a flat 1). Would't that turn this to 43 points?

I also fully admit that I could be HORRIBLY reading the rules wrong. I've never played by this rule set before, so that's entirely possible.

Angie

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 11:27:18 AM
Huh. Is it?

My understanding from the Handbook was that:

"Effect: Summon Duplicate, Active. 3 points per rank."

Rank 10 of this would be 30 points, followed by Multiple Minions 4 (which is 2 points per rank), Horde 4 (1 cost per rank) and Mental Link (a flat 1). Would't that turn this to 43 points?

I also fully admit that I could be HORRIBLY reading the rules wrong. I've never played by this rule set before, so that's entirely possible.

Where did you find the Summon Duplicate?

Also, out of curiousity...do you plan on doing lots of damage, or is your build angling more for "inescapable grapple", because I have an idea if grapple is your target.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Zaval

Quote from: Angie on October 09, 2019, 11:29:36 AM

Deluxe Hero's Handbook. It's a small snippet in page 156. Here's the full text:

Duplication
Effect: Summon Duplicate, Active • 3 points per rank
You can create a duplicate of yourself. Your duplicate is a minion with the same traits as you, except for this power and any hero points. You can spend your own hero points for your duplicate’s actions.

You must have this power at a rank equal to your own power point total (not counting Duplication), divided by 15, and rounded up for your duplicate to possess your full abilities. If you have it at a lower rank, create your duplicate as a scaled-down version of yourself, with a power level equal to your rank in this power and starting power points determined accordingly (power rank x 15).

So a power level 11 hero who has Duplication 8 creates a power level 8 “duplicate” with (8 x 15) 120 power points and proportionately lower-ranked traits. Your duplicate thinks and acts just like you, so it is automatically helpful toward you. Gamemasters should generally allow the hero’s player to determine the duplicate’s actions. Your duplicate disappears if your power is countered for any reason. You can also make your duplicate disappear at will by turning off your power.

You can apply Summon modifiers to this power (see Summon, page 181). Use the Multiple Minions extra to be able to create multiple duplicates.

I also admit, maybe I should have stuck with a default template...  :-\

Quote from: Angie on October 09, 2019, 11:29:36 AM

Also, out of curiousity...do you plan on doing lots of damage, or is your build angling more for "inescapable grapple", because I have an idea if grapple is your target.

I'm more going for grapple. The idea is for the duplicates + the original to tie up the opposition and setting them up for follow up attacks from the teammates.

Angie

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 11:33:58 AM
Deluxe Hero's Handbook. It's a small snippet in page 156. Here's the full text:

Duplication
Effect: Summon Duplicate, Active • 3 points per rank
You can create a duplicate of yourself. Your duplicate is a minion with the same traits as you, except for this power and any hero points. You can spend your own hero points for your duplicate’s actions.

You must have this power at a rank equal to your own power point total (not counting Duplication), divided by 15, and rounded up for your duplicate to possess your full abilities. If you have it at a lower rank, create your duplicate as a scaled-down version of yourself, with a power level equal to your rank in this power and starting power points determined accordingly (power rank x 15).

So a power level 11 hero who has Duplication 8 creates a power level 8 “duplicate” with (8 x 15) 120 power points and proportionately lower-ranked traits. Your duplicate thinks and acts just like you, so it is automatically helpful toward you. Gamemasters should generally allow the hero’s player to determine the duplicate’s actions. Your duplicate disappears if your power is countered for any reason. You can also make your duplicate disappear at will by turning off your power.

You can apply Summon modifiers to this power (see Summon, page 181). Use the Multiple Minions extra to be able to create multiple duplicates.

I also admit, maybe I should have stuck with a default template...  :-\

I'm more going for grapple. The idea is for the duplicates + the original to tie up the opposition and setting them up for follow up attacks from the teammates.

Oh jesus you can summon 16 duplicates. HOWEVER. Multiple Minions and Horde are Cost Per Rank, they add to the cost per rank of the POWER. Meaning that the two together turn Summon Duplicate into a whopping 6 points per rank. Actually according to some info I found, it stacks-so Multiple Minions 4 increases the cost of Summon itself by 8 points per rank, so just to get all of them, you need to spend 110 power points...and that's before I add the Horde in.

Might I suggest less duplicates? Also Horde doesn't have ranks, you just add it as a +1 to the base cost per rank of summon and you can summon them all in one go.

caelcormac

You are also making duplicates that have your duplication power. Did you mean to be exponential?

Zaval

...huh. Yeah, judging by your reaction along with caelcormac's, I really did read those rules entirely wrong. When I read 'per rank,' I thought it just meant 'per rank per modifier,' not 'per rank for the power.'

Whoops.

Quote from: caelcormac on October 09, 2019, 11:44:27 AM
You are also making duplicates that have your duplication power. Did you mean to be exponential?

I honestly hadn't even considered that would be a thing. Makes sense, now that you mention it...

Please forgive the noobness here. (I don't really play tabletop games, could you tell? :P )

To make this slightly less ridiculous then:

- Duplication 7 (Exact copy of Division) (5 per rank, 40+1 points)
- Multiple Minions 2
- Mental Link

Is this a little more reasonable?

Angie

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 11:52:12 AM
...huh. Yeah, judging by your reaction along with caelcormac's, I really did read those rules entirely wrong. When I read 'per rank,' I thought it just meant 'per rank per modifier,' not 'per rank for the power.'

Whoops.

I honestly hadn't even considered that would be a thing. Makes sense, now that you mention it...

Please forgive the noobness here. (I don't really play tabletop games, could you tell? :P )

To make this slightly less ridiculous then:

- Duplication 7 (Exact copy of Division) (5 per rank, 40+1 points)
- Multiple Minions 2
- Mental Link

Is this a little more reasonable?

Let's go back to basics. The Summon power creates a creature with Rank x 15 Power Points. At Rank 7, that is a total of 105 points. Him without the Duplication power would be 109 points, so, if you can designate 4 of your points to be "not applying to the Duplicates", you'll probably be kosher. And that's easy, since you have 10 points left over so far, you can just take a couple powers and say that one or two of them don't apply to the duplicates. Hell, say that your Duplicates have an intelligence of 2 instead of 4 (or even 0!) and you're fine.

That all said, TF Commando is much smarter with this stuff and I'd recommend letting him give you a glance over, but this is pretty close to how Summon works normally.

Zaval

This is how I feel at the moment. :P

Learning a lot about the system, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the feedback!!

Angie

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 12:24:08 PM

This is how I feel at the moment. :P

Learning a lot about the system, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the feedback!!

Don't worry. At some point, you reach a level where you get to a point of "I can take this power...and then play it off this one...combine it with this one and...oh no." And at that point you've been sucked in!

What I am saying is that you are very close to a very good concept. The concept of using psychics to be the deadliest son of a bitch in space a hero is pretty cool. But, with that in mind, since you want to grapple, may I recommend a Weaken effect? There's a couple ways you could go: Have a Weaken Agility effect that you do by slapping your target silly, OR, we can have some fun by putting flaws on your powers. Add "Grab Based" to a weaken, which gives a -1 Cost Per Rank...however, Weaken is already a 1 point per rank power, so dropping it means for every point you put in Weaken, you get 2 Ranks! There's also Affliction which you can also make Grab based and have it inflict a knockout condition that makes your opponents unconscious. It depends if you want "Prevent them from ever getting free" or "Grab, then KO".

Zaval

So what you're saying is that the proper way to play this game is to Rube Goldberg your powers until you wonder how you made it work in the first place? :P

It'll be awhile before I get there, but I dig it!

And thanks for the pointers on the duplicate power! I really appreciate it. ^_^ I've got some refining to do it looks like, but I'll get to that in the morning and see if I feel less like a Psyduck headache. :P

Muse

Zaval, i don't recognize the title of the book you're speaking of.  Are you looking at third editon? 

I'd like to reiterate the offer to share a google drive with a sheet template.  It's not the best template, but it'll be nice to not have to go through too many diferent formats.  By using google drive together,  I can assist more easily. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

A note for people new to third edition. 

Third edition M&M takes the philosophy of "instead of presenting mechanics for powers, lets present mechanics for effects--things that a power can do.  The best way to get a look at those effects in action--and to get ideas for powers--is to reference the book Power Profiles. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaval

Deluxe Hero's Handbook, Third Edition. I've had this one for awhile, I dug into it wanting to understand the mechanics beyond just the template 'quick generation' heroes that were on offer, was all.

That said, I don't want to hold anyone up from starting, so I'll pull out for now. Maybe another time I'll try this. Appreciate it again! :)

Muse

Quote from: Muse on October 09, 2019, 09:28:48 PM
  Zaval, i don't recognize the title of the book you're speaking of.  Are you looking at third editon? 

Scratch that.  :)  I see you're using the right book. 

What I'm trying to figure out is how Multiple Minions addition is factored.  Is it like a normal per rank adder?  So that to summon 4 identical minos is +4 per rank, and eight identical minos is +6 per rank? 

Muse

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 09:57:49 PM
Deluxe Hero's Handbook, Third Edition. I've had this one for awhile, I dug into it wanting to understand the mechanics beyond just the template 'quick generation' heroes that were on offer, was all.

That said, I don't want to hold anyone up from starting, so I'll pull out for now. Maybe another time I'll try this. Appreciate it again! :)

*pounces *

come back here! 

We're nowhere near starting!  If you don't want to play, that's okay, but you're not sowing us down one iota! 

Muse

Angie

Quote from: Zaval on October 09, 2019, 09:57:49 PM

Please stay. I want people to have fun with this and no, we're not starting any time soon, we're just posting characters...so you're at the same point we are.

Roman100

I am still working on things myself.  I've been awfully busy the past few days.  I still want in but, boy, this is a -hell- of a chargen.

Muse

Hey Roman.  May I help? 

Like, to the point where you could tell me your concept and i'd build for you, but better if we traded PMs (or direct messages through skype or discord) and built in a google drive.