Aetherpunk (Steampunk, Freeform, LGBT Friendly)

Started by Crash, July 13, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loves

Aletta is the Helmswoman ;)
She won't take kindly to anyone trying to fly her baby

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Vill

Quote from: Loves on August 16, 2014, 12:29:07 AM
Aletta is the Helmswoman ;)
She won't take kindly to anyone trying to fly her baby

Very well, I won't take kindly to taking kindly to the idea of manning the helmswoman's helm.

Literally, or figuratively.

Loves

Quote from: Vill on August 16, 2014, 12:42:06 AM
Very well, I won't take kindly to taking kindly to the idea of manning the helmswoman's helm.

Literally, or figuratively.

I think I followed that

Lol

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Vill

Quote from: Loves on August 16, 2014, 12:47:32 AM
I think I followed that

Lol

I'm looking forward more and more to playing with such a playful crowd. Hopefully I can have something of substance to submit to the boss before daybreak.

Loves

Quote from: Vill on August 16, 2014, 12:49:57 AM
I'm looking more and more to playing with such a playful crowd. Hopefully I can have something of substance to submit to the boss before daybreak.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with

:)

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Hazy Sky

Vill,
You guessed correctly as to what a flier is. The idea is basically that a flier can cover a lot of ground ahead of an airship, so they would be acting as a scout of sorts. Also can I nudge you away from making your character in love with his weapons. That kind of thing the Captain regards as unhealthy and obsessive.

I'll tell you now that the Captain doesn't like wandering minstrels music much. Somewhere along the line he has acquired a taste for Orchestral music, so you may well find that he tells your character to stop making an unearthly noise whenever he starts playing. Don't worry too much about that if he does. He's forever telling Gaspard off for being, well Gaspard. He can be such a snob sometimes. ::)
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Vill

Quote from: skyre on August 16, 2014, 01:22:15 AM
Vill,

I'll tell you now that the Captain doesn't like wandering minstrels music much. Somewhere along the line he has acquired a taste for Orchestral music, so you may well find that he tells your character to stop making an unearthly noise whenever he starts playing. Don't worry too much about that if he does. He's forever telling Gaspard off for being, well Gaspard. He can be such a snob sometimes. ::)

I think the Captain and my Bard might find they have this idealism in common. I'm going to PM you as well as the GM my character sheet once it's done: I think you might be amiable to his concept.

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Vill on August 16, 2014, 02:06:47 AM
I think the Captain and my Bard might find they have this idealism in common. I'm going to PM you as well as the GM my character sheet once it's done: I think you might be amiable to his concept.

Vill,
I promise that if the Captain can accept your character on board that he will and I'll discuss anything that makes him unhappy with you to see if there's a way that he can be made happy. The basic concept you have sounds good though. I look forward to seeing what you've come up with. :)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Vill

Quote from: skyre on August 16, 2014, 02:14:39 AM
Vill,
I promise that if the Captain can accept your character on board that he will and I'll discuss anything that makes him unhappy with you to see if there's a way that he can be made happy. The basic concept you have sounds good though. I look forward to seeing what you've come up with. :)

Roger that, Captain.

Kuroneko

Oi, I'm overwhelmed.  I need to do a lot of reading to get the gist of everything, which may take me a bit because I'm getting all my syllabi and what not ready for the start of the semester in two weeks, lol.

Oh, btw ... Marcus Wilbur's playby is Clark Gable ;).
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Hazy Sky

Quote from: Kuroneko on August 16, 2014, 03:12:15 PM
Oi, I'm overwhelmed.  I need to do a lot of reading to get the gist of everything, which may take me a bit because I'm getting all my syllabi and what not ready for the start of the semester in two weeks, lol.

If there's anything that I can do to help you Kuroneko just let me know.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Madame Professor

Quote from: Kuroneko on August 16, 2014, 03:12:15 PM

Please feel free to ask any questions and my Inbox is always open! ;D

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Kuroneko

I need to read more before I can even some up with questions, lol.

Saric

Is this still recruiting? And, if so, what is needed/wanted? Or at least what is already had so I can diversify?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Madame Professor

We are definitely still recruiting!

There is a link to the accepted characters in the OP, but we are always recruiting for a second ship... which still has wait to have a captain, if there is a role you were interested in. So there is a wide range of available roles.

I believe Skyre is still looking to fill some roles on the Comet as well, if you'd like to be apart of the existing ship.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :-)
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Saric

Quote from: Madame Professor on August 18, 2014, 12:47:31 AM
We are definitely still recruiting!

There is a link to the accepted characters in the OP, but we are always recruiting for a second ship... which still has wait to have a captain, if there is a role you were interested in. So there is a wide range of available roles.

I believe Skyre is still looking to fill some roles on the Comet as well, if you'd like to be apart of the existing ship.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

Thank you for your kind welcome! :D

I've taken a brief glance at the Characters section, the Airship members mostly, but I'm sure I'll need to read more in depth in a lot of places.

As for questions...

1. Just how... 'mad scientist-y' are we allowed to get? Keep it to clockwork and steam, or is the occasional lightning cannon allowed?

2. Magic was mentioned as Victorian Spirituality, Taoism, and Voodoo. I was wondering, would any kind of Alchemy be allowed?

3. Do these airships have corridors through the gasbag like the old zeppelins did? Or is it just a big bag held by cables?

That's all I've got for now. I'm sure I'll think up more when it's not 3AM.  :P

Regardless, thank you for your time and consideration. *bows*
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Hazy Sky

The only one of those questions that I can answer for you Saric is number 3.
The Comet is a rigid airship with a duralinium alloy frame. I would expect smaller craft to be dirigible or frameless, but once you go over a certain size an airship basically has to have a frame of some kind. I can go into agonizing detail as to how I designed the Comet if you would like.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Madame Professor

Wild and loony contraptions are definitely welcome! I think it really depends on the type of mad Sciencery you wanted to do. Fringe science is one of those.. "What did you have in mind" sort of deals. Were you thinking more crazy inventor of gadgets or something more like Frankenstien type? There is lots of room without getting too carried away.

The same with magic. It's more of the Victorian superstition and spiritualism.. Which offers plenty of room, without stepping over the line. So, when you say Alchemy... What exactly were you thinking? I can tell you something along the lines of Full Metal Alchemist would be considered too much and not in line with feel of the game. Magic and supernatural is extremely subtle and often rumor and those that "practice" are usually seen as charlatans.

Saric

Quote from: skyre on August 18, 2014, 02:37:16 AM
The only one of those questions that I can answer for you Saric is number 3.
The Comet is a rigid airship with a duralinium alloy frame. I would expect smaller craft to be dirigible or frameless, but once you go over a certain size an airship basically has to have a frame of some kind. I can go into agonizing detail as to how I designed the Comet if you would like.

Given the size of the Hindenburg the idea of a dirigible being a smaller craft fills me with a certain amount of dread...

On a more on topic note is the lift gas dispersed or in a centralized location and is it one big bag or multiple smaller 'cells'?

Quote from: Madame Professor on August 18, 2014, 01:13:07 PM
Wild and loony contraptions are definitely welcome! I think it really depends on the type of mad Sciencery you wanted to do. Fringe science is one of those.. "What did you have in mind" sort of deals. Were you thinking more crazy inventor of gadgets or something more like Frankenstien type? There is lots of room without getting too carried away.

The same with magic. It's more of the Victorian superstition and spiritualism.. Which offers plenty of room, without stepping over the line. So, when you say Alchemy... What exactly were you thinking? I can tell you something along the lines of Full Metal Alchemist would be considered too much and not in line with feel of the game. Magic and supernatural is extremely subtle and often rumor and those that "practice" are usually seen as charlatans.

Lighting cannons, inferno pistols, and fun with super-magnets was more what I was thinking in terms of 'Mad Science!'. I've got a couple of ideas bubbling away but this one would be the kind of guy who invents a ray gun and simply has to test it out on a real target... only to stop and start tinkering with it in the middle of a firefight. XD

Alchemy can go several different ways depending on what you'd allow; potions and elixirs that strengthen you temporarily at the cost of a prolonged weakness; extracts and 'essences' that allow you to make salves that heal or temporarily animate objects with the 'essence' of life, or a glass ball that glows continuously because it contains the 'essence' of light; or the more extreme type that gets into the creation of homunculi, elemental conversion (the whole lead to gold thing), or the philosopher's stone. Obviously the last sort is unlikely but the potions and extracts have effects close enough to what could be accomplished by more ordinary 'science' for there to be doubt about the legitimacy of his work. After all, how do you tell the difference between a glass ball containing the 'essence of light', a lightbulb containing a noble gas, or a sphere containing some slow chemical reaction? Or the difference between a potion that triples your strength or speed for fifteen minutes only to leave you weak or slowed for an hour or two and some mixture of drugs like opium and caffeine? It would have more obvious effects, but the very nature of those effects would raise doubt as to the true method being used to achieve them. A character working the Alchemy angle would likely be an artillerist, whose always coming up with new shells or warheads, but whom can be counted on for a vial of smokescreen or sleeping gas when things get up close and personal.

Thoughts?

Vill

Just chiming in to say I like where the mad science and alchemy is going. Should your renegade chemist ever need select contraband: I might know a guy.

Kuroneko

Okay, so I finally read everything, including the one mystic bio, since that's the needed/wanted character that jumped out at me, and I understand the kind of flavor that you're looking for with Taoism, Voodun and Victorian spirituality. I guess my only real question is, that character sheet was very specific on what that character could do, so are you looking for that kind of specificity or is there room for a little mystery and reputation to get a person hired?

I'm liking the sound of Saric's alchemy as well. Kuroneko, was it my Karlotta you were looking at? If so, I got pretty specific in the sheet mostly for my own benefit and to establish some boundaries, rather than by GM request. As long as the gist is clear I wouldn't think you'd need to delineate it that way unless you wanted to.

Kuroneko

Yes, it was Karma. It was a lovely character sheet and very helpful with regards to what's possible.

Oh, thank you! :D I'm afraid I haven't had an opportunity to play her yet.

Vill

Madam professor has posted the perfect plot for two mystics in the plot thread!