The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 09, 2015, 10:03:53 PM
I think the last time he showed up was bringing the Ultron-managed Phalanx Virus to Annihilus-ravaged Kree space?

It wasn't Rom - only some made-up Space Knights appeared.

I really doubt that Rom could get his own movie - Marvel doesn't have the rights to the character anymore.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 10, 2015, 04:05:34 AM
It wasn't Rom - only some made-up Space Knights appeared.

I really doubt that Rom could get his own movie - Marvel doesn't have the rights to the character anymore.

They don't? Then who does?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

deadmanshand

Parker-Brothers. The comic was a commission based off of their Rom the Spaceknight action figures. Which the comics outlasted by about ten years. Doesn't mean Marvel couldn't get the rights to make the movie or that James Gunn could get the rights from PB to make the movie himself.

CuriousEyes

I'm a little late to the conversation about Days of Futures Past. I agree with the general consensus - Singer did a fantastic job tying together his original two movies with the reboot into something that's a largely cohesive continuity. There are problems, of course, caused largely by the fact that the First Class movie was supposed to be a standalone franchise of its own and wasn't supposed to tie in to his films.

I suspect a lot of the fact that they were made to work together had to do with business decisions about how much money was sunk on that project and establishing those characters as younger versions of those roles, as well as the fact that they had contracts to reprise the roles in multiple films meaning they were probably getting paid again regardless. More credit to Singer that he made it work as well as it did.

And even more for effectively painting a "screw you" brush all over basically everything to do with X3.

Quote from: Mathim on July 09, 2015, 06:15:57 PM
I just hope it doesn't mean Wolverine completely missed out on the opportunity to get/keep his adamantium skeleton and claws given how it ended.

I could be TOTALLY mistaken here. But my impression was that once Wolverine "fixed" the future he was sent back from, his consciousness that had been inhabiting his body sprung back to the repaired present and the consciousness that had been supplanted took back over with no real memory of what he'd done. Wouldn't that mean that his history from the ~'60s on would have been largely the same?

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on July 10, 2015, 09:30:30 AM
I'm a little late to the conversation about Days of Futures Past. I agree with the general consensus - Singer did a fantastic job tying together his original two movies with the reboot into something that's a largely cohesive continuity. There are problems, of course, caused largely by the fact that the First Class movie was supposed to be a standalone franchise of its own and wasn't supposed to tie in to his films.

I suspect a lot of the fact that they were made to work together had to do with business decisions about how much money was sunk on that project and establishing those characters as younger versions of those roles, as well as the fact that they had contracts to reprise the roles in multiple films meaning they were probably getting paid again regardless. More credit to Singer that he made it work as well as it did.

And even more for effectively painting a "screw you" brush all over basically everything to do with X3.

I could be TOTALLY mistaken here. But my impression was that once Wolverine "fixed" the future he was sent back from, his consciousness that had been inhabiting his body sprung back to the repaired present and the consciousness that had been supplanted took back over with no real memory of what he'd done. Wouldn't that mean that his history from the ~'60s on would have been largely the same?

Well as far as I could tell, the body his future self had been possessing then went on living as though it had never been visited by his future self (hence why future-Logan needs to catch up on history with Charles later on), but why he woke up at that exact point in time with his future-only memories intact (or was that the same era as the dark future, only without the Sentinels since they fixed everything? 'Cause it felt more like the early 2000's of the first film than like the future where it was 10-20 years later than that or something, though I could be wrong) was a little unclear to me. But given that Stryker was revealed to have Mystique's glowing eyes after they fished Logan's waterlogged non-corpse out of the river, this basically strongly hinted that the man himself never actually got his hands on his Weapon X, so it's not certain to me whether the Sabertooth conflict and/or the adamantium infusion even occurred, or at least not in the same sequence as the Origins timeline. I mean, considering the approach he took in sabotaging the Sentinel program and contacting Charles all John Connor/Terminator-style, it's not like Logan met up with Xavier at the same time as he did in the first movie which would have otherwise been their first encounter. So much had to have changed for Logan to have no memory at all after drowning, for Jean never to have gone Dark Phoenix and blew half the team away, and for Logan to have actually landed a teaching position, that it's not unthinkable that Logan might have been spared from that awful yet empowering procedure. We'll just have to wait til Apocalypse to find out, unless someone involved in production can shed some light on that in an interview or something.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 10, 2015, 04:46:29 PM
You're right, I just assumed he was there I guess. :)

I'm way behind on movies, still haven't seen Days of Future Past.

Well if you haven't seen ALL of the other ones, it is advisable to have done that first, so maybe that's a good thing.

On another note, I do sincerely hope that the next standalone Wolverine movie DOES include Alpha Flight. And Omega Red.

SapphireStar

Rumors of talks between Wesley Snipes and Marvel/Disney to revive Blade seems to be in the works.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 10, 2015, 08:15:26 PM
Rumors of talks between Wesley Snipes and Marvel/Disney to revive Blade seems to be in the works.

JOYGASM! He was literally TOO perfect for that role, hard to imagine anyone else being a better or even equal fit. Although I would have thought they would want to go younger...he's in his fifties now. Even Paul Rudd, playing Ant-Man, isn't quite over the hill yet (though he's getting kind of close). Don't they want these actors sort of young-ish so they can fulfill their contracts without getting too old before they're done?

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 10, 2015, 11:27:06 PM
Some motherfuckers always trying to iceskate uphill. *kicks exploding blood virus needle into vampire's brain, then doesn't pay taxes and goes to prison*

I'm uh, a little apprehensive about the quality of script he'd be willing to agree to at this point. I mean, he signed on for Blade 3 before he was broke.

Snipes is broke? Is that why I haven't really heard anything about him since Blade 3?

But Marvel Studios now has the rights and they're kicking ass, both on the big screen and on TV/Netflix. I don't think they'll make too many boo-boos on scripts and such the way other studios did. I mean I loved the first Blade, but Blade II and Trinity were largely 'meh' in my opinion.

I'd really like for something like Agents of SHIELD to start delving more into the supernatural with Phase 3 coming up which is going to do much of the same. Instead of just the sci-fi Inhumans, they can start dealing with demonic and other such threats and, if they're going the direction speculated (the one that makes sense), they'll be looking to recruit players like Blade and possibly Ghost Rider to deal with that kind of thing. Makes me wonder just how they're doing to handle the Defenders now. I saw a description that said Coulson is supposed to bring them together, and only the four primary show protagonists are confirmed. Is Coulson ultimately going to bring whoever he picks up in AoS over to the Defenders, AND allow the additional characters (Elektra and Punisher appearing in Daredevil) also be part of it? That feels like it's going to outnumber the volume of heroes that will be appearing in Civil War.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 11, 2015, 12:37:27 AM
He got conned by some weirdos who told him he didn't have to pay taxes. The government disagreed. He was in prison for two years.

I imagine this made it hard to make movies. He's been out for a bit now but yeah, now he owes all the taxes he didn't pay and then some.

All the more reason to sell out then, right? Do some TV maybe, instead of flicks.

CaptainNexus616

Problem with that is would anyone want to hire Snipes? Blade 3 was roughly eight years ago and if your not on the screen sporadically people may not remember your reputation especially after the additional crap that happened to him.

You know looking back on the MCU it has been amazing what if has accomplished within ten years alone. I mean how many people even cared about Iron Man, Thor Captain America, the rest of the Avengers, Loki, the Guardians, and Daredevil. It's sparked a renaissance that pulled us into what I like to call the Golden Age of Superhero movies which has done wonders for Marvel's popularity.

I mean think about it. What other franchise can offer you a group flying through space and saving an entire plant from an alien terrorist to a lone vigilante set in a dark and gritty New York against a crime boss, to a a group of heroes fighting a sentient robot?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 11, 2015, 02:26:50 PM
Problem with that is would anyone want to hire Snipes? Blade 3 was roughly eight years ago and if your not on the screen sporadically people may not remember your reputation especially after the additional crap that happened to him.

You know looking back on the MCU it has been amazing what if has accomplished within ten years alone. I mean how many people even cared about Iron Man, Thor Captain America, the rest of the Avengers, Loki, the Guardians, and Daredevil. It's sparked a renaissance that pulled us into what I like to call the Golden Age of Superhero movies which has done wonders for Marvel's popularity.

I mean think about it. What other franchise can offer you a group flying through space and saving an entire plant from an alien terrorist to a lone vigilante set in a dark and gritty New York against a crime boss, to a a group of heroes fighting a sentient robot?

Hence why I created this thread in the first place. The shining example Marvel set forced DC's hand and they announced a huge lineup of their own, throwing down the titular gauntlet and saying, "All right, this is war. For the future of comic book and superhero movies!" Would that this emergence of another cinematic film universe could lead to harmony and not a faulty set of decisions based around fear, excessive competitiveness and other troubles. They don't seem to be thinking "Gee, if we fuck this up, it'll turn people off of these kinds of movies. Then BOTH our companies will be screwed." They need to get more than just one real fan to be a major part of the industry, and Joss Whedon already bowed out of directing any future Avengers flicks. They'll tell it like it is and give the studios a perspective that they ignore at their peril.

SapphireStar

So far it is only talks and wishful hoping. Nothing is definite. Though, they did the Blade tv series which aired on Spike TV.

They have already cast Elektra. Elodie Jung is set to play her. Elodie Jung played Jinx in G.I.Joe: Retaliation.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 11, 2015, 08:32:16 PM
So far it is only talks and wishful hoping. Nothing is definite. Though, they did the Blade tv series which aired on Spike TV.

They have already cast Elektra. Elodie Jung is set to play her. Elodie Jung played Jinx in G.I.Joe: Retaliation.

I'd never seen any of the GI Joe movies so I'd never heard of the actress but she looks like she could be a decent enough ninja assassin. I like that so far, Bernthal has a good enough resemblance to a hardboiled Frank Castle and Elodie J(Y?)ung could pull off looking like someone with Elektra's ethnic heritage even if the actress herself doesn't share it.

Beorning

I don't know if you have seen this already, guys - a new trailer for Dawn Of Justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

Is that curly-haired young man Lex Luthor, or something?

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

THey cast Neal McDonaugh (he played Dum Dum Dugan in Captain America) as Damien Drahk for Arrow season 4.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on July 12, 2015, 11:23:49 AM
I don't know if you have seen this already, guys - a new trailer for Dawn Of Justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

Is that curly-haired young man Lex Luthor, or something?

Interesting. Interesting. How do they have this much this far in advance when the movie is still something like 6+ months away? And what's with all the people around him wearing that Dia De Los Muertos makeup?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I see they're going more aloof, goofy Gene Hackman Luthor than all-around darker Smallville/Animated Series/Superman Returns John Cusack Luthor. Probably going to have the wig fly off like in the original Superman movies too. I wonder if people will still laugh?

Let's see...they got the Kryptonite, not going to be much of a fight for Batman without that little ace in the hole. Bruce Wayne gets his hands dirty outside of the suit it looks like, and the Joker's already been making trouble for him according to that graffiti. Got to set up Suicide Squad, right? But damn, they make Bats dark. Leaving batarang shaped scars in thugs' flesh, that's harsh for a guy who may not be a killer even in this far darker universe where Superman snaps his enemies' necks.

Zod getting zipped down from his body bag, no decomposition, either he was frozen or his Kryptonian physiology won't allow for earth bacteria to eat away at him, effectively preserving his corpse indefinitely. Could this mean that, like in some storylines, he'll be coming back to life like Superman did? Luthor's undoubtedly going to want to use his blood and such to try and empower himself. And they've got a dark-haired Asian actress to play the blond-haired Caucasian Mercy Graves, not sure how people feel about that (unless I'm mistaken, she was created in the Animated series the way Harley Quinn was created for Batman's cartoon, so that's how she was originally designed).

I have to say, though I'm still waiting on critics' reviews to see whether I'm going to give this one a chance to wow me into buying a theater ticket, I am more interested now than I was with the first trailer. Looks like lots of action, intrigue and character development will be going on, although I will say I believe they would probably have enough going on without having to throw Wonder Woman in there for a few seconds of confusing explosions and smashing shit like a female Hulk. But I guess we'll see how they balance it out introducing two entirely new versions of these three major characters in a movie where the three of them are supposed to highlight.

SapphireStar

They've revealed details about why Bruce Wayne goes after Superman in the trailer. He goes after him because of the destruction of a Wayne building during the battle with Zod and Black Zero in Man of Steel. Which has him flashing back to when his parents were murdered. Apparently, the reason he hung up the cape and cowl was also revealed with a shot of Robin's costume with graffiti on it saying "Joke's on you, ha ha ha!".

What is it with having Batman hang up the cape and cowl? That is two movies which has him to that. Dark Knight Rises and now the new set of movies. If I remember right, the only time Batman hung up the cape and cowl was when Bane broke his back, and Jean-Paul Valley took over. Bruce Wayne disappeared for a while as he recovered. And, other time he was lost in time. When the Joker blew up Wayne manor and killed Jason Todd, Batman went after him harder.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on July 12, 2015, 02:01:37 PM
It's a couple things. The best Batman story ever written (The Dark Knight Returns) was about an old Batman coming out of retirement. Movies have been trying to capture that feeling and cash in on the popularity of it. Also, it's just sort of a trope in action movies. Someone is so badass that they can't handle how badass they are so they have to retire to save the world from being so badass and etc etc.

Batman v. Superman just doesn't really work anymore though. Everyone knows Batman always wins. Even if the movie looked decent (it doesn't) I doubt it would be all that interesting.

Well that's why they're throwing Wonder Woman into it, and this is a universe where, although some 'freaks' exist that will come into play for Suicide Squad, alien life largely did not become known to the general public until MoS, so unlike most universes where this is just par for the course ('dark scary Batman is dark and scary, patriotic-dressed heroic Superman is heroic and patriotic'), it's mixing a BvS scenario into a brave new world environment where the very fact of Supes' existence has opened the whole world's eyes, and he's not a hero to everyone, in fact it's quite the opposite to a significant number of people here. I think that throws enough of a spin on things to keep it more or less interesting. Now it's up to the writer(s) to put the pieces together in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. All the parts are there, they just have to play around with them and make a good end result. Now, do I or anyone here have faith enough in them that they'll succeed? Wwwwweeeeellllllllllllllllll...I'll let someone else field that one. But for now it's at least fun to watch them try. That's why I'm glad trailers are free.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 12, 2015, 01:44:34 PM
If I remember right, the only time Batman hung up the cape and cowl was when Bane broke his back, and Jean-Paul Valley took over. Bruce Wayne disappeared for a while as he recovered.
Bruce came back for a while, then let Dick Grayson take over the cowl for a while before Bruce came out of retirement

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 12, 2015, 01:44:34 PM
And, other time he was lost in time. When the Joker blew up Wayne manor and killed Jason Todd, Batman went after him harder.
Bruce's little trip through time had nothing to do with Jason's death or Wayne Manor going boom. There were a number of different Batmen running around Gotham.
And right now Batman is none other than Jim Gordon.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 12, 2015, 02:12:22 PM
Bruce came back for a while, then let Dick Grayson take over the cowl for a while before Bruce came out of retirement
Bruce's little trip through time had nothing to do with Jason's death or Wayne Manor going boom. There were a number of different Batmen running around Gotham.
And right now Batman is none other than Jim Gordon.

Do we have any idea how long Batman has been operating in the DCCU? I mean, presumably long enough to have gone through at least one sidekick. And only now is the story getting picked up on by someone at the Planet? I mean, I know he supposedly operated drones before to keep himself out of the public eye but shouldn't there be at least an investigation going on? I am feeling a bit cheated about this rushed entry into the DCCU. Frankly a standalone reboot of Batman would have been the smartest move in my opinion, even if only separated from MoS by 3 months or so in theaters. I mean, Bats is so central to the League with the way he operates, without being overpowered, why not put more emphasis on him? Don't his movies generally earn more than the other heroes' anyway (please correct me if I'm wrong)? His data files containing the weaknesses of all the other heroes allowed the entire team to get taken down in a few different versions of the story, so obviously he's not to be taken lightly even with no superhuman powers. But I do supposed Superman staring down a mortal and, in spite of his great prowess, becoming humbled, is just as cool a concept as Batman tearing through man-made threats with his superior skills and technology and then confronting an out-of-this-world titan and having the fight of his life.

SapphireStar

DC is starting to fall into the same pattern that Marvel has of creating confusing, unrelated and head scratching plots. Really? James Gordon as Batman? Who's Catwoman? Poison Ivy? The best stories for both Marvel and DC occurred mid-80s through the 90s, maybe early 2000s. I hope they eventually go back to the old universe.

In the trailer it was shown that Batman had at least one sidekick Robin who was killed by the Joker. And, it appears from the trailer Lex Luthor is stirring the pot to manipulate and pit Batman against Superman while he allies with the Senator played by Holly Hunter who is against the superpowered beings.

mia h

Batman\Bruce went missing after he and the Joker apparently killed each other, so there is now an official GCPD sponsored Batman.

Although just to confuse things the Justice League's Batman is Bruce.

CaptainNexus616

I think one of the dumbest plots ever introduced in Marvel has to be the Spider-Man One More Day storyline.

In it, Aunt May has been fatally shot and is slowly dying and despite you know all of the supernatural healers, high tech, and stuff nothing is saving this average elderly lady from a regular gunshot. So all is lost until surprise the Marvel Universe equivalent of the Devil, Mesphito shows up.

Mesphito strikes up a deal with Spidey and his wife Mary Jane that he will save Aunt May if in return they give up their marriage to him. Basically it means the marriage will be erased from existence.

AND THEY DID IT!

Everybody in existence forgot and essentially the marriage never happened to begin with just so Aunt May could have a few more years.

Then here is the real kicker ladies and gents. A few pages later they introduce Spidey's new love interest a police forensics officer whom was basically based after the master mind of this story's daughter.

So remember kids who grow up reading Spider-Man comics its ok to make a deal with the devil to throw away the future you have with your spouse. *gives a thumbs up*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌