News:

Main Menu

just wondering..

Started by Diabolus Lupus, May 18, 2009, 10:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diabolus Lupus

This has been bothering me for a while..

I work for a pizza place. I've been working there about as long as I've been here on E. When I first started working for this place, it struck me as odd that out of all the general areas that people work at this place that the girls that are hired are always trained to make the subs and salads. I was an exception to that for my first couple of days, cause I gravitated towards the dishes.

Anyway, the guys that are hired are trained to make the pizzas, cut the pizzas, and all of our drivers are guys.

Am I the only one the only one that thinks this is a bit sexist? and is this common practice in other restaurants?

Ket

Having been an assistant manager at a pizza place years ago... I can say this about drivers.

Delivery drivers run a high risk of being robbed.  We typically hired male drivers, and basically on purely sexist reasons.  We did have a female driver, but there were certain neighborhoods she would not go in. 

As for who made what...that was everyone's job.  Even the drivers knew how to prep food if needed.  Though, we typically had a female at the front counter.  Again, for totally sexist reasons. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Serephino

My boyfriend works at a McDonalds and on front counter and drive thru are women with big racks, and my boyfriend along with the other men are in the back on the grill. It's very sexist, and the sad part is it's a female boss doing it.

Merlyn

I feel that most businesses have rather sexist practices.  But it is for business reasons, not sexism.  Sex sells, and everyone knows it.  I am actually an exception at my job, since I normally work on a register.  And that is usually a job done by women, but guys often seem to be rather fine coming to my register and trying to be all 'buddy buddy' if you understand what I mean.  Women often can manage to get bigger tips, and sell to men better.  For obvious reasons. 
Not to mention where I work most of the women hate having to do the more 'male' jobs, because they require heavy lifting and moving boxes moderate distances. 
As for pizza deliveries, how often have you gotten pizza delivered, now how often has the delivery person been a woman.  With me it's maybe an average of 1 out of 50 my entire life.  It can be a dangerous job, and more so for women.  After all, as my mom put it when my sister started working at a pizza place, you are walking up to a strangers door.
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs

Lithos

You correlate sexist with bad though. Security guards tend to be in better physical state than bartenders. Models tend to be prettier looking than common folk. Marketing has succeeded if the product sells better. I think they have had good bit of time to test things in fast food industry too. If there are pretty girls in the counter, chances are that there is good reason for it sales and customer satisfaction wise.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Valerian

I actually delivered pizzas when I was in college.  It's a really good job for a student -- the hours are flexible and of course you get the tips.  But yes, I was the only female working there, in any capacity, and even though I was lucky enough to be working in a small city with very little crime, relatively, I still didn't like working nights.  The tips were better, but to me it wasn't worth the extra worry.  I mainly stuck with day shifts, and there I felt okay.

I have to say that I did get some pretty interesting reactions at times, when people opened their doors to see a girl standing there....  ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lithos

Quote from: Valerian on May 20, 2009, 03:00:41 PM
I have to say that I did get some pretty interesting reactions at times, when people opened their doors to see a girl standing there....  ::)

Would not mind getting pizza girl instead of pizza guy for a change :P
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

ShrowdedPoet

Really, what is so bad about sexisim?  I am a woman and sexist points of view and practices do not bother me.  Specially when the sexist actions have some really good concrete reasons behind them.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs