Darkest Nights - Post Apocalyptic Horror, Freeform Small Group - Interest Check

Started by GnothiSeauton, January 28, 2024, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

Darkest Nights

Trigger warning:  This group is intended to feature elements of blood, gore, and horror.

Overview

Welcome to Darkest Nights.  This is a group game that is set in a modern, realistic world that's gone to hell in an apocalyptic event.  Unlike with a zombie-styled event, this takes place at the very beginning of the event, featuring a disease that transform infected into vampire-like creatures.

This is intended to be a small group, with five to six characters and writers max.  Voicing interest does not guarantee you a spot in the group.  I'm looking for a mix of characters and a cohesive, fun and relaxed group OOC.

Characters will start off in the same place at the beginning of the event.  Forces will bring these characters together as the shit hits the fan from the very beginning.  It will be action packed, graphic, and full of blood, gore, and horror elements.  If you are squeamish about blood, this is probably not the group for you.

The Infected

The Infected were once every day, normal human beings with jobs, families, etc.  With the virus in them, they have transformed into blood thirsty killing machines that are feral hunters at best.

Once in the system through bite, scratch, or injection of the virus DNA, the disease kills about 3 in 7 individuals.  The microbes are relentless in their attacking of the immune system, compromising and rewriting a person's DNA over the course of a few hours.  Those that do survive the first hour of the infection begin to lose their mental capabilities, and are driven by the basic need to feed.  They become markedly stronger and faster with an increased metabolism and energy. 

Over a few days, the human aspect of the infected begins to fade away.  Hair begins to fall out, and skin becomes tighter in addition to paler.  Teeth become sharper, and the appetite only continues to grow.  Senses become sharper, thoughts erased.

The infected have a significant weakness to light.  Sunlight will kill them, causing severe burns to their body and exposed flesh, as will UV lights and fire.  Severing the head, massive head trauma, or heart destruction will kill them.

Group Dynamics, or What's Expected

As stated previously, this is intended to be a small group.  Five or six writers will be accepted.  If there's significant interest, and if someone is open to it, I would consider opening up another smaller group.
The smaller group is intended to make interactions and scenes more intimate and closely knit, rather than trying to do a large group of survivors.  There will be spaces for characters to go off and form secondary scenes, away from the larger group, but for the most part the story will keep characters together and moving.
It's my goal to initiate a posting rotation with writers having up to a week to respond before being passed over.  That might seem like a short time, but depending on the group, it could range anywhere from a week to respond or quite longer.  There's no real set pace demands, but it is requested to at least post once a week to keep the story moving.  If you can't, we can skip over your character's turn.  Three skips, and your character will be removed from the group, save for special circumstances outside of Elliquiy.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Revna

TippedVelvet

I'm all over this like a bag of chips. Day-0 scenarios are what it's about.
Interested in writing with me? Check out my likes!

Geeklet

GnothiSeauton

My initial thoughts would be that the group would start on the very first day, and that the characters would be in the same place not too far from where the outbreak begins.  I was thinking something like a Walmart or something like that in a town that's not far from a military base. 

Characters would be noticing some strange things going on throughout the day, maybe an increased military presence, roadblocks, spotty cellular service, etc.  As it grows darker with night, more helicopters, distant rumbles (which the locals chalk up to just usual military exercises and drills) until it eventually becomes louder and more persistent.  Right up until the event, characters would notice a lot more emergency vehicles on the ground, sirens and helicopters, etc.

I figured that the core group of characters, five to six, would band together in those initial hours and find a way out of the downtown heart of the town and seek refuge.  

Seeking New Stories

TippedVelvet

Interested in writing with me? Check out my likes!

Revna

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on January 29, 2024, 10:47:17 AMMy initial thoughts would be that the group would start on the very first day, and that the characters would be in the same place not too far from where the outbreak begins.  I was thinking something like a Walmart or something like that in a town that's not far from a military base.

Characters would be noticing some strange things going on throughout the day, maybe an increased military presence, roadblocks, spotty cellular service, etc.  As it grows darker with night, more helicopters, distant rumbles (which the locals chalk up to just usual military exercises and drills) until it eventually becomes louder and more persistent.  Right up until the event, characters would notice a lot more emergency vehicles on the ground, sirens and helicopters, etc.

I figured that the core group of characters, five to six, would band together in those initial hours and find a way out of the downtown heart of the town and seek refuge. 
OMG yessss!

Quote from: TippedVelvet on January 29, 2024, 11:04:08 AMIs it too early to start tossing character concepts around?

Same question!

Miss Nyx

Ixy

Sounds like a really fun scenario. I'd like to see how it shapes up-- I hope the group would be realistic and not headed by an impromptu collective of ultra survivalist spec-ops ninjas or anything :)

Revna

Quote from: Ixy on January 29, 2024, 02:28:52 PMSounds like a really fun scenario. I'd like to see how it shapes up-- I hope the group would be realistic and not headed by an impromptu collective of ultra survivalist spec-ops ninjas or anything :)
If allowed and accepted, mine is going to be a stoner dancer who depends on how nimble she is and pure luck with an eye out for weed and weed products. Think like scooby doo, she will do just about anything for a scooby snack...which is drugs LOL

Again, if allowed and accepted.

GnothiSeauton

Going to close and lock this thread for now. It’ll be opened up again after I get some stuff built for it and character sheet templates ready to be published. 

Seeking New Stories