Ultimate Teen Titans (Interest Check for Freeform RP)

Started by chaoslord29, March 14, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apygoos

so perhaps Lois Lane then? it keeps that distance from supes secret identity as clark, but lets him be just close enough to be in that companion role to the man of steel. Though thats one avenue i could take it, id like though to try and keep Dick's roots with the bat. If you're taking that route with Jason, Dick's normal history may work, though he'd likely be the oldest on the team.
still a lot of possibilities.

chaoslord29

Quote from: apygoos on March 15, 2013, 03:51:03 PM
so perhaps Lois Lane then? it keeps that distance from supes secret identity as clark, but lets him be just close enough to be in that companion role to the man of steel. Though thats one avenue i could take it, id like though to try and keep Dick's roots with the bat. If you're taking that route with Jason, Dick's normal history may work, though he'd likely be the oldest on the team.
still a lot of possibilities.

That's half the fun though isn't it?
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

apygoos

I'll just wait and see what other interest/stories come forth, then i suppose I'll just use the one that is most constructive to the plot.

Shadow879

Please do not draw and quarter me for knowing nothing of the subject matter, but I never bothered to read the comics, I just watched the television show Teen Titans, and my favorite character was always Raven, but I've seen no mention of she or BeastBoy.

Are they not in this canon? Or it is just nobody likes them? :D

I'd like to play Raven if the game gets going.
Never back down, never look back.

How to make love to the Dark

Cold Heritage

It's just more the case that this is sort an alternative interpretation of things. So someone could play, say, Beast Boy, and play him like he was on the Teen Titans cartoon, or play him to an entirely different vision of the character that is strange and different and scary because he's nothing like the Beast Boy you know and love.

I've given it some more thought, and I want to put forward the Kheran concept that resulted from it.

The character would be a spin off of Majestrate, the son of Mr. Majestic. The New 52 spins the Wildstorm universe into the main DC on, but before that the Wildstorm universe had several crossovers with the main DC universe. If the two are to be separate, I would explain the character's presence in the game world as an accident that saw the ship he was on traverse the Bleed from his native dimension into the game one. If it's tenable that the Wildstorm elements simply exist in this Ultimate-ized universe, then an accident as I go on to describe is sufficient.

For this spin on the character, I would have him be comparatively older than the other characters in terms of pure chronological age, but in terms of emotional/mental/physical/perceived maturity, he would be roughly analogous in human terms to them. He would be on Earth after his vessel, damaged in battle with the Daemonites, crashes on . . . let's say Titan. Recovered by a LexCorp space salvage team, Majestrate recovers in a LexCorp facility on Earth. His vessel is really too damaged to be of any use to the character himself, but Luthor offers his expertise and resources to attempt to reverse-engineer the technology so as to create a new working copy of the vessel for Majestrate (and of course Luthor would use the advances for his own purposes, mundane and nefarious).

In the interim (given the tremendous gulf between human science and that of Kherans) Majestrate would avail himself of Luthor's other offer: to join the new team that is being put together. Majestrate would be intrigued, and deign to lower himself to such an ignoble usage after finding out that Earth is home to at least one Kryptonian. Potentially discovering Daemonite activity on Earth would further cement Majestrate's commitment to the team, and he would probably enjoy the challenges posed in combating Earth's varied metahuman population.

His aloof nature would be spun into a positive: media portrayals would depict Majestros as a sad, lonely little lost alien boy who keeps barriers up to protect himself, but deep down he's really sensitive and if the right girl played her cards right and held out long enough for him to let her in she could totally help fix his secret pain, teach him about this strange human emotion called 'love,' and tame his extraterrestrial heart.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Shadow879 on March 15, 2013, 05:16:42 PM
Please do not draw and quarter me for knowing nothing of the subject matter, but I never bothered to read the comics, I just watched the television show Teen Titans, and my favorite character was always Raven, but I've seen no mention of she or BeastBoy.

Are they not in this canon? Or it is just nobody likes them? :D

I'd like to play Raven if the game gets going.
You needn't be at all apprehensive about coming to this RP with no more knowledge of the Teen Titans than the animated series, that's plenty to work off of.

This is a wholly original canon inspired by the Teen Titans of canon, reincarnated in a 21st Century format akin to Marvel's "Ultimate" series reboots.  Raven and Beastboy have not been pitched yet, but they are of course welcome in this RP, and if you want to play Raven, you are of course welcome to!

The only conditions are that you need to create your character in line with the idea of someone who would find themselves on a team of corporate-backed teen heroes. How you go about doing that is entirely up to you ^_^

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 15, 2013, 05:37:35 PM
It's just more the case that this is sort an alternative interpretation of things. So someone could play, say, Beast Boy, and play him like he was on the Teen Titans cartoon, or play him to an entirely different vision of the character that is strange and different and scary because he's nothing like the Beast Boy you know and love.

I've given it some more thought, and I want to put forward the Kheran concept that resulted from it.

The character would be a spin off of Majestrate, the son of Mr. Majestic. The New 52 spins the Wildstorm universe into the main DC on, but before that the Wildstorm universe had several crossovers with the main DC universe. If the two are to be separate, I would explain the character's presence in the game world as an accident that saw the ship he was on traverse the Bleed from his native dimension into the game one. If it's tenable that the Wildstorm elements simply exist in this Ultimate-ized universe, then an accident as I go on to describe is sufficient.

For this spin on the character, I would have him be comparatively older than the other characters in terms of pure chronological age, but in terms of emotional/mental/physical/perceived maturity, he would be roughly analogous in human terms to them. He would be on Earth after his vessel, damaged in battle with the Daemonites, crashes on . . . let's say Titan. Recovered by a LexCorp space salvage team, Majestrate recovers in a LexCorp facility on Earth. His vessel is really too damaged to be of any use to the character himself, but Luthor offers his expertise and resources to attempt to reverse-engineer the technology so as to create a new working copy of the vessel for Majestrate (and of course Luthor would use the advances for his own purposes, mundane and nefarious).

In the interim (given the tremendous gulf between human science and that of Kherans) Majestrate would avail himself of Luthor's other offer: to join the new team that is being put together. Majestrate would be intrigued, and deign to lower himself to such an ignoble usage after finding out that Earth is home to at least one Kryptonian. Potentially discovering Daemonite activity on Earth would further cement Majestrate's commitment to the team, and he would probably enjoy the challenges posed in combating Earth's varied metahuman population.

His aloof nature would be spun into a positive: media portrayals would depict Majestros as a sad, lonely little lost alien boy who keeps barriers up to protect himself, but deep down he's really sensitive and if the right girl played her cards right and held out long enough for him to let her in she could totally help fix his secret pain, teach him about this strange human emotion called 'love,' and tame his extraterrestrial heart.

You sir, have hit the proverbial nail on the head. This is exactly the kind of character I think would be right at home in this particular reimagining, and I would encourage anyone and everyone interested in applying to follow this example.

@Everyone
Assuming we can scrounge up a few more character ideas and submissions, I think we could definitely move into a more formal application process this weekend.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

zenpai

i am trying to think of a hero type but it hard to think of one that not over rated. I am too much into the aniti hero types
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

chaoslord29

Quote from: zenpai on March 15, 2013, 06:04:50 PM
i am trying to think of a hero type but it hard to think of one that not over rated. I am too much into the aniti hero types

An anti-hero isn't strictly off the table, so long as you (or LexCorp's PR department) can still find a way to pitch them as media friendly, and they have a reason to be working with the team. Maybe I can help a bit, whose you're ideal archetype of an anti-hero?
My Guiding Light-

zenpai

from Dc: The Phantom Stranger and the lantern corps. From Marvel deadpol, and all the members of project X, blade, cable, arch angel. from dark horse Spawn and most of the people from hellsing.

i forgot The Spectre
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

chaoslord29

Quote from: zenpai on March 15, 2013, 06:29:42 PM
from Dc: The Phantom Stranger and the lantern corps. From Marvel deadpol, and all the merbers of project X, blade, cable, arch angel. from dark horse Spawn and most of the people from hellsing.

Not terribly familiar with Phantom Stranger, but handling a Deadpool type character wouldn't be too much of a challenge, especially given how campy he tends to be. You've got his DC counterpart, Deathstroke, already as part of the Titans canon, and you could give that character a twist to make them more appropriate as an edgy teenage hero. The only real roadblock with any of the characters you mentioned is that they're not just anti-heroes, they're also loners, solo comic heroes who don't really do the whole team thing almost as an integral part of their characters. I would look at why characters like Deadpool and Cable do occasionally team up (and they do) and see if you can spin that into a reason for one of your DC favorites to be a part of Luthor's Corporate Capes.
My Guiding Light-

Shadow879

Quote from: chaoslord29 on March 15, 2013, 05:49:17 PM
You needn't be at all apprehensive about coming to this RP with no more knowledge of the Teen Titans than the animated series, that's plenty to work off of.

This is a wholly original canon inspired by the Teen Titans of canon, reincarnated in a 21st Century format akin to Marvel's "Ultimate" series reboots.  Raven and Beastboy have not been pitched yet, but they are of course welcome in this RP, and if you want to play Raven, you are of course welcome to!

The only conditions are that you need to create your character in line with the idea of someone who would find themselves on a team of corporate-backed teen heroes. How you go about doing that is entirely up to you ^_^

You sir, have hit the proverbial nail on the head. This is exactly the kind of character I think would be right at home in this particular reimagining, and I would encourage anyone and everyone interested in applying to follow this example.

@Everyone
Assuming we can scrounge up a few more character ideas and submissions, I think we could definitely move into a more formal application process this weekend.

Heh, Cold Heritage's post involved about two sentences that I knew anything about.

I'll do my best to spin Raven into a media-friendly image, although I really loved Raven's attitude, so I figure off the record she's relatively similar to the TV show. Will come back with an idea later tonight.

apygoos

so my question becomes: the traditional Nightwing, or the completly alterd history one?
Unfortunately i dont think i can get the lantern one to work with whats been discussed :(

AribethAmkiir

zenpai

i could make a deathstorke Like teenager. He was the product of a super solder program. his mother unknowingly had her unborn child experimented on. Deathstorke gains his power after puperty and works for money

AKunoichi

I still haven't gotten a solid confirmation from Chaoslord.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Shadow879 on March 16, 2013, 02:28:26 AM
I'll do my best to spin Raven into a media-friendly image, although I really loved Raven's attitude, so I figure off the record she's relatively similar to the TV show. Will come back with an idea later tonight.

The LuthorCorp PR department could probably spin show Raven into something meant to appeal to the goth/Hot Topic demographic pretty handily, so I don't imagine that you would have to really change much. Granted it's been a while since I watched the Teen Titans show.

Personally I like to imagine LuthorCorp marketing waffles with purple marshmallow bits baked in them, with Raven's face on the box, her expression all dour and gloomy as she gives an insincere thumbs up.

Shadow879

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 16, 2013, 11:20:28 PM
The LuthorCorp PR department could probably spin show Raven into something meant to appeal to the goth/Hot Topic demographic pretty handily, so I don't imagine that you would have to really change much. Granted it's been a while since I watched the Teen Titans show.

Personally I like to imagine LuthorCorp marketing waffles with purple marshmallow bits baked in them, with Raven's face on the box, her expression all dour and gloomy as she gives an insincere thumbs up.

That made me laugh. The made my sides hurt, actually.

I'm just not sure at this point why Raven would be a corporate mascot. Trying to figure what would motivate her to do that.

Cold Heritage

Maybe Raven had an incident where she lost control and her powers caused a lot of damage, and Luthor made all of the consequences go away, offering her the very best training and support (perhaps even going so far as to having Raven hooked on an emotion suppressing drug that LexCorp has the patent on)? Or maybe she went to the Justice League and asked for their help because Trigon is coming and Batman was all, "magic doesn't exist," forcing Raven to seek alternative support in Lex Luthor's camp? I guess it depends on how close to the show Raven's backstory and stuff ends up being with your version of her. But I think if you can identify a need or a weakness that can be addressed by being part of a group, you'll find something that'll motivate the character.

AribethAmkiir

Just rewrite Raven's history.  Have her be a bit more susceptible to her demon side and a little less altruistic.  Could even have her be a bit emotional and see what that would do with her powers.

Shadow879

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 17, 2013, 12:21:14 AM
Maybe Raven had an incident where she lost control and her powers caused a lot of damage, and Luthor made all of the consequences go away, offering her the very best training and support (perhaps even going so far as to having Raven hooked on an emotion suppressing drug that LexCorp has the patent on)? Or maybe she went to the Justice League and asked for their help because Trigon is coming and Batman was all, "magic doesn't exist," forcing Raven to seek alternative support in Lex Luthor's camp? I guess it depends on how close to the show Raven's backstory and stuff ends up being with your version of her. But I think if you can identify a need or a weakness that can be addressed by being part of a group, you'll find something that'll motivate the character.

I like that first idea, minus the drug. Thank you, I'll elaborate on it. :)

I figure I might stick fairly closely with the backstory I know.

I kinda feel like an idjet because I have to ask for simple story prompts, but I have not had the creative juices flowing since 2011, and so all the gears are a bit rusty. Please bare with me :)

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on March 17, 2013, 01:01:02 AM
Just rewrite Raven's history.  Have her be a bit more susceptible to her demon side and a little less altruistic.  Could even have her be a bit emotional and see what that would do with her powers.

I was thinking the emotional one. I like the altruism. That would tie in with the first suggestion Cold Heritage had.

apygoos

I wish my Young Justice RP still talked back and forth this much..

apygoos

...my god ..."Teen Titans GO!" looks even worse than i thought it was going to be >.<

chaoslord29

Quote from: Shadow879 on March 17, 2013, 03:38:08 AM
I like that first idea, minus the drug. Thank you, I'll elaborate on it. :)

I figure I might stick fairly closely with the backstory I know.

I kinda feel like an idjet because I have to ask for simple story prompts, but I have not had the creative juices flowing since 2011, and so all the gears are a bit rusty. Please bare with me :)

I was thinking the emotional one. I like the altruism. That would tie in with the first suggestion Cold Heritage had.

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself, and I can't thank Aribeth or Cold Heritage enough for the help here. I think you could draw both elements into a very congruent story line that would fit with this reimagined origin for the Teen Titans.

Raven as a troubled teen struggling to control the demonic magics that are the product of her bloodline, finding herself rejected by the other heroic organizations and types for being too young, lacking discipline, finds that Mr. Luthor is all too willing to give her the help she needs as well as provide some creature comforts aside (designer labels, personal chef, penthouse suite in Titan Tower, expense account, etc). Needless to say this appeals to her more demonic predilections and as long as she can grit her teeth and get through the occasional photo-shoot or press conference, and her 'teammates' don't get on her nerves too much, it's as close to the good life as she could know.

Or at least, I could envision that very easily and fitting in very well with what we have so far. As always, feel free to tailor it to what you think would be most interesting to play and we can always make any new elements or edits fit in the setting.
My Guiding Light-

AribethAmkiir

AKunoichi

I could see starfire being very Naive and easily manipulated by Lexicorp. As for her nudity, sex sells, also because he skin emits light, it should be easy enough to sensor out her actual bits on camera, you need to adjust the exposure to be able to see anything but a very curvy bright whitish orange silhouette.

As I told Chaoslord, although sexuality is an important part of my character (Sex and super-heroism are the only parts of human culture she can readily identify with) I don't intend to be doing a whole lot of on screen cybersex. One thing I've found while role-playing, is that being sexy is more interesting than having sex. Also sex scenes are really good at derailing campaigns because they tend to be much slower paced than other scenes.
While I could see my character having sexual relations with anybody, I'd prefer they be brief and not take up a lot of detail. Just the beginning or ending of an encounter, or implications of something that happened off-screen.
My character may be hypersexualized, but this is a game about superheros.