5e D&D Furry Game Interest Check (Multiple Ideas/Genres Inside)

Started by TheSithChicken, December 24, 2017, 05:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSithChicken

Rather than a tie breaker I am probably going to update the initial post sometime in the next couple of days (tonight and tomorrow are kind of busy) with more in depth treatments of Sixguns and Spark and let people decide from there. Provide a better idea of what I am thinking and the kind of things I like for the different ideas.

Foxfyr

I'm definitely interested I this theme. I loved all the campaign ideas, but I think The Spark stood out to me the most.

silentwalrus227

TheSithChicken

We haven't even finished picking the campaign idea - much less characters. So still open.

silentwalrus227

Awesome! Personally my vote would have been Sixguns or More than a Game.

Whowhatwhere

I have an interest! I vote for The Spark, but I'd play any.
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

TheSithChicken

Just an FYI. Bug is getting passed around at my house and I wasn't in great health to start with. So I might be really slow responding for a bit as I pray for a merciful death that will not come. Game is not abandoned.

silentwalrus227

TheSithChicken

Thanks. On the plus side I have come into possession of a great deal of 5e stuff over the course of the Christmas season and I have a bunch of awesome options for my players when the game gets off the ground. Lots of cool stuff to customize the game in general.

silentwalrus227

That’s awesome! Speaking of which, could you pass along the Fursona info you mentioned?

TheSithChicken

I was more going to pass along the information as needed as it's a good sized book. Mostly in race stat blocks and the like. Did you have a specific question about it while I am still mostly coherent for the evening?

silentwalrus227

Oh my bad, I didn’t know it was a full-blown supplement! I’ll stick to as needed for now, thanks.

Chulanowa

I actually went ahead and dropped the change for it...  ;D

Whowhatwhere

Do you have Volo's Guide? They have Tabaxi, Kenku, Lizardfolk....all good possibilities
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

TheSithChicken

Chulanowa

Quote from: TheSithChicken on January 04, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
I have everything.

Have you decided on which ida we're going with? I totally understand the difficulty, right now I'm having the same problem for a game i wanna run  :P

TheSithChicken

As soon as medications and illness stop destroying my ability to think I'm going to write up a detailed concept for the two frontrunners of the Spark and Sixguns and see what you all think. If it's still tied I will just pick whichever one I want to run most.

TheSithChicken

Update: I am starting to feel better and I expect to write up the fuller, more fleshed out ideas in the next day or two. In the meantime what would you all like to see from the two ideas left standing?

The Spark - High Fantasy. Magic the Gathering inspired but no knowledge of the setting or game required. This one is pretty self explanatory but it could also go a lot of different ways. The characters are all young planeswalkers who have formed a compact. However where they go and what they face would be very much up to the players. This would give the players a lot of freedom. You could create your own homeworld and populate it with your own cultures and races or you could use an existing MTG plane or I could make one for you. This game could potentially go anywhere - to any kind of fantasy setting and encounter almost anything. Imagine strange worlds and bizarre monsters and aged artifacts. Probably the most open ended of my ideas.

Sixguns and Sorcery - Weird West. Inspired by Deadlands and the music of Eli Wells. This... is actually super self explanatory. Steampunk fantasy wild west action. Players could be bounty hunters or lawmen but I have an odd fascination of starting the game off with the pcs robbing a train. I've never run a robber gang in an old west setting before.

Bibliophilia

I'm going to be super unhelpful and say I like both ideas.  I am already formulating potential storylines and characters for both, and neither is really grabbing me any more strongly than the other.

For Spark, I love the thought of building my character's plane and populating it with different races, inventing conflicts for that plane and devising potential quests and 'dungeons' that could exist there for the party to encounter and explore.

For Sixguns, the concept of a kind of Ocean's Eleven style gang who come together to rob a train - maybe at the behest of some mysterious 'other' who wants a specific item of some import off the train and is willing to let them have everything else they find on it - sounds super fun.  I can envision them clearly in my head and think that playing out their attempts to work together despite their differences and struggling to get to know/trust one another in the midst of stressful/deadly circumstances would be really fun.

So, in short, I'm no help and they both sound awesome.

TheSithChicken

@Bibilophilia - No that was quite helpful.

Alright now to the fuller treatments I've been promising. They are not super fleshed out - especially The Spark - as I will customize the campaign based off of the characters made for the campaign but they are fleshed out enough to give you all an idea of what I am looking at doing. I am currently considering 5th level as the starting point and I will be allowing homebrewed archetypes on a case by case basis and one homebrew class. I will be sharing the class and many archetypes once the game is made.

The Spark

The Multiverse - endless planes like sand on a beach. Moved by the tide and winds of universal laws. Shifted by the magics of planeswalkers. Bursting into life and suffering their final days. Every world unique. Each with it's own stories, it's own inhabitants, and it's own monsters. Each separated from each other by the gulfs of the Blind Infinities.

But you can reach across them. You are a planeswalker. You were one of the innumerable sentient peoples of the Multiverse but inside you lurked the Spark. In a moment of stress it ignited and handed you the key to great power. Destined now to have your name spoken in reverent tones or terrified whispers. Reborn now in a universe of ancient magics, arcane artifacts, monsters, and gods.

I would most likely connect the PCs through a cross planar organization. Imagine the Continental from John Wick if you're familiar with it (and watch the movies if you aren't!). An organization that counts planeswalkers among its members and provides various services for them. Neutral ground for meetings, networking, information, and more. This gives a basis for all the PCs to be acquainted despite coming from disparate backgrounds and planes. Plus I really liked the style of the Continental and the idea of a cross planar version of it works for me.

Now the exact story I would use for it is dependent on the characters I get. My current thought - because it's flexible - would be to have an acquaintance of the PCs go missing and build from there. Probably to a world(s) threatening plot. MtG standard faire. I will probably not be using of the big modern characters from the lore (The Gatewatch and such) I will be using other characters drawn from a lot of lore that you are not required to know a bit of. I also will not be using much if any real house rules for this one. Just some guidelines for flavor more than anything. All the planes of Magic will be available to players to come from and go to - as well as being open to player and gm created planes.

Sixguns and Sorcery

The more I've thought about this the more I love the idea of a robber gang in a setting that is one part Deadlands and one part Shadowrun with a dash of Bioshock Infinite. A group of the lawless from a lawless territory working crimes and missions for fun and profit. Weird West steampunk fantasy. Great rail lines stretching across the land. Smog choked cities along the coast where the wealthy reside in floating villas high above the misery and the poor. High stakes card games. Black magic and demons of the New World spoken of with awe by the natives and terror by the religious.

This would have the most homebrew rules but it would mostly just be rules for gunplay, firearms, and vehicles.

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

silentwalrus227

The Spark is sounding more interesting, though I’ll go ahead and say that I know absolutely nothing about MtG. Will that be an issue?

Bibliophilia

Oooo...I still love both ideas, but now I have visions of Dark Towerish things in Sixguns.

Chulanowa

Spark sounds like Planescape. I'm gonna say I prefer that over Steampunk.

TheSithChicken

@silentwalrus - No knowledge necessary. I love introducing people to settings and systems.

@Bibliophilia - As much as I am not a fan of The Dark Tower that is not an inaccurate image. To an extent.

@Chulanowa - Definitely pulling some inspiration from Planescape.