Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

Quote from: Courtney on July 05, 2018, 12:33:42 PM
"I'll paye the price of one typo for Steffy to mock me with."

I’m bedazzled, hmm
First, Writing is an art.  And you are showing off (which I love)!  Typo noted.  You are 'paye'd' up.  But I would suggest negotiating price and reach agreement if that is the route you choose.  (NOTE: Free shop here, except for sassy-smart-ass-girls and others of similar inclination).  I will point out that when posteing (<-- an error) and typing a red highlight appears as an alert.  Of course (or of coarse), this does not take care of improperly chosen words.

As to Jaclyn's post, the quote trick is a great one.  On my discovery and mentioning of it to others elsewhere a very good point was made: It really has to do with what  use you make of the coding.  It can be the end product of creativity.  Don't steal creativity.  If you see some great coding and want to 'copy' send a PM to the author.  As an example: I began the Magic Shop with a picture and some writing, asking Flower for her reaction.  She organized and spiffed it up greatly.  I did a slight rewrite and then set this up.  If someone looked and improvised on the code, fine. If someone wanted to completely copy, I would want to know.

As to centering, J's is slicker.  Basically, what I do is figure where I want something, use float and center and then preview.  I edit through preview until it appears as I like.

Blythe

Quote from: Jaclyn on July 05, 2018, 11:02:25 AM
  Still OOC, are we planning to assemble all these cute tricks into one place without the intervening and fun silliness? As Flower knows, there's hints on these things scattered all over Elliquiy and things may well change once our fearless leader Vekseid rolls out the new site using ElkArte instead of SMF. Good things for a Wiki maybe?

OOC: This would be a very wonderful idea. It would collect all the cool tips and tricks in an easy-to-peruse format and allow people to discern IC/OOC a bit better here in the HELP board, since the HELP board is usually OOC-only-threads! I like this thread, by the way, it seems like a very cool light hearted RP thread to practice coding in! :)

My contribution! A site I use to create beautiful color text in fancy ways without inputting every code manually! Set the output to "Standard Forum Code," write in your text, select your colors, and you can turn:

this plain text!

into

this not-so-plain text!

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

  “So let's try something here with my lovely martini. First, I'll float the Jaclyntini left for two things floated left including my picture.”

  “And now a bit more text and another Jaclyntini floated left.”

  “And there you have it. A cascade of Jaclyntini's! No clue if I'll use this though I will sometime post what I'm wearing along with my picture and perhaps a bottle of bubbly and a plate of nachos with a side of pitted Avocado. Point here is to experiment and see what works to get your posts to look cute the way you want them to. Oh and to see all the coding here, just tickle the quote thingy upper right of this post.”

  “Oooh Blythe! Very lovely site!”

Steffy

Wondering, wondering

MAGIC SHOP - BIG CHALLENGE

Stuck inside the anvil was a sword with an inscription on the blade* that read: “Whoso pulleth out this sword from this stone, is right wise King born of all England.”

AKA THE KING ARTHUR CHALLENGE (or I hope my inside expert is right and this is impossible, at least for a long time):

What I was wondering as I sawed wood, aged the wood, built the shelves, got things old and dusty for Steffy’s Magic Shop is if one could code so that if you hovered over an image it would move and you couldn’t nab it.  Something like, ‘press for the treasure trove’, you give it a go and can’t touch it with your cursor.  (Again, input has been not possible here).

* Question on the above (no reward for the answer: how did they know about the inscription if it was stuck in an anvil?)

Well here’s a pic of some potion: 

What I challenge all in E is to try and accomplish this feat—when one tries to hover over the potion make it move.  I’m not willing to say you’ll be King of E since that would lead to all sorts of trouble for me and, also, I’m predicting it’s going to come from a Queen or other anyways.

Anyways (another one), whomsoever is the first to achieve this (probably no one), you will get lots of adulation and . . . a meal or something with Steffy.  (Like they do on those fundraisers).

Go forth!  If this is easy, I’m going to find one of those math problems that are insolvable.

Flower

Ooh. That is nifty.

I know it was mentioned somewhere but a section containing shared code/sites. Just in case someone is in a rush. They won't have to dig through posts for information. (^^)

Steffy

Jaclyn, I award thee:

Blythe/Champion, I award thee:

All awards are the spontaneous reaction of Steffy, apprentice.  She is known for her judicious and thoughtful spontaneity.  All awards are not subject to appeal although one can leave them in the street with no questions asked.

Jaclyn

  “Oooh Steffy, thank you! I’m putting that in my signature”

Kit Cat

Magic Shop Poet Cat

Pads back in lazily, having gone to stretch my paws, and looks around, noting the shop was filling up with people and code.

Giving the mistress of the shop an accusatory glare, as if it was her fault, I give a grudging lap to the bad finger, in thanks of having her picture being put up in its rightful purrrrlace.

The multicoloured monstrosity that the witch Jaclyn appears to be petting, gets a far more unpleasant stare; my eyes saying, without words what a disgrace to cat kind it was.

Taking time to use my claw to circle a few of the grammar and spelling mistakes Courtney has pointed out, I consider the laps at my disposal, and regally jumps into the Flowers, granting her the honour of petting me.

OOC – I hope the finger gets better Steffy; I sliced virtually all the tip of my middle finger off earlier in the year, and though they managed to save it, its numb now!

Really great and useful information here so far, but does anyone know how I can put links for O & O’s, poems and possible other links at equal distances on the page. I tried float left and float right, but they end up being above/below each other.

Thanks for the cat Steffy, love her!

Blythe

OOC: To get floatleft and floatright and center to give you things 'equal' without some being weirdly above or below each other, use this code!

[float=left]test[/float][float=right]test[/float][center]test[/center]

Should display like this:

test
test
test

The way to get them not to be on top of/bottom of each other is, strangely, to put the center BB code at the end when you do the coding. ^^

Steffy

Hockey God aka Pharaoh I award thee:

. . . And Pharaoh says "Here kid, some popcorn.  Save some for me, but I've got another goal to score."  Bravo HG!

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

… well for that reception, my familiar has better places to be ... pick her up and slip her inside the slit in my robe, into he time warp that takes her back to the wildflower fields …

… and then that urge …

  “Um, rest room please?”

Back late Sunday or on Monday.

Kit Cat

Magic Shop Poet Cat

Eye's Jaclyn suspiciously, and wriggles my nose, to magically hide my litter tray

Steffy

Dom Steffy

Shop kitten makes a statement.  *Smile* “Begone with you Witch Jaclyn!  Until late Sunday or maybe Monday.”  I’ve noticed magic works best when one is forceful.  “And if you’re off to have fun, have fun—no excuses!” (One wonders how much fun one can have with a restroom break, no matter how long it is).   

Amelita

Oooh what a lovely little corner of Elliquiy! An Amelita peeks in with a sparkle of magic glittering in her eyes. I'll have to drop by now and then for inspiration, or to offer some help. Tilts head in respect to the proprietor.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Steffy

Courtney I award thee:

[Floatleft][/float]

[Floatright][/float]

Don’t worry C-girl.  We can edit this to just have the photo only, but it’s important to understand subtext for later.  (Wink).

Flower

-pets the fluffy cat in my lap-

Ooh! That's Ames, guys. She's a code goddess. (^^)

Steffy

Hear Ye! Hear me!

First off, I think we all would have to admit that announcement Steffy is pretty clever.  (Smile).  Maybe a trumpet in a small, old crumbling magic shop isn’t necessary but it does the trick of putting everyone on alert (Oopsy!  Maybe nerves are already jangled with RL.  Where’s the shop kitty?  Pet her!  If she allows it.)

It’s very pleasing to see magicians of all kinds wander in.  Spreading the word is good too!  Now for the big announcement.

NOT SO BIG ANNOUNCEMENT  The Magic Shop will be relocated on the E page.  If you rely on finding it at a spot there, it will be different.  Bookmarks are wonderful things.  Use that.  I believe the bookmark will work as well as any URLs you used to tell anyone about this.  It should be, as they say, seamless.  If more is necessary, I’ll pass it on.

NOW a couple of things.  It looks like our magicians are just naturally creative which has caused me to think (huh?  Steffy thinks?  Is that what blonde reaction is?).  If ideas are sparked, why not say and get reactions?  That’s the general gist of it.  Everyone is invited to do this—got an idea, say

Hears (sp?) an idea!

This idea is inspired by Flower.  I cannot describe how much help she has been to me as a mentor.  The Magic Shop is due to her magnificent support.  So here’s the idea:  let’s say someone has the germ of an idea.  Or a big idea.  Maybe, they need a cool intro for a thread.  They say: ‘here’s my idea, here’s how far I’ve come.  Ideas?  Can someone suggest X specific or offer some add-on?’  Then a magician just says here you go!  Voila!   Of course, an explanation would be great.  Thoughts? Or just make a request or tell us your idea.

Let me explain

Jaclyn suggested an index which is totally great.  I think we might be able to take advantage of E administrative help even (that’s a not-for-sure); the index would appear in the Help section with a link to the shop (if I understand a PM properly).  Anyways, what I was thinking is maybe, instead of that help, there’s an aspiring magician or just plain old (as in savvy, not old-old) magician who wants to take on this project and continue with it.  I would hope that whoever undertakes this would continue with it or get a sub (substitute, but a sub is fine as well). Thoughts?  Interested volunteer(s)

On the second idea pic I used, I’d say it shows a hand of uncertain sex (maybe).  But it’s interesting, if you Google ‘idea’ looking for images, there are lots of light bulbs; if you look at images with humans in them, they all are male except the LGBTQ (maybe) hand/arm I’ve chosen. 

Courtney

QuoteJaclyn suggested an index which is totally great.  I think we might be able to take advantage of E administrative help even (that’s a not-for-sure); the index would appear in the Help section with a link to the shop (if I understand a PM properly).  Anyways, what I was thinking is maybe, instead of that help, there’s an aspiring magician or just plain old (as in savvy, not old-old) magician who wants to take on this project and continue with it.  I would hope that whoever undertakes this would continue with it or get a sub (substitute, but a sub is fine as well). Thoughts?  Interested volunteer(s)

Well that sounds like more of a job for a helpful shop gurl or Magician's assistant. As I tend to frequently refer back to Your Magic Shop to quickly find bits of code that I haven't memorized yet, I'd happily take this on. I have a few ideas on how it would work, but obviously will follow your ... lead?

Kit Cat

Just a follow on of this, and not sure if its possible now without editing the entire top of the original post, but if you look on the word of the day thread (and others) there is a long list of previous words that link directly to where it was posted.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=264702.0

Would it be worth editing somewhere on the first couple of posts and having something like that, front and centre under the titles "Questions Answered", "Answers Needed", "Ideas Ongoing" etc, so you can not only 'sell' the magic shop to anyone looking at it for the first time, but also have it as a quick click resource?

(Also Poet Cat is currently hiding under the table, looking for that damn trumpet)

Steffy

Yikes!  That popcorn thing for an award must have had some synergistic wow in it!

First off, Courtney – first come, first burdened.  Thank you!  Yes, it's true. You’re the in-charge bitch on the index idea.  Be nice to the shop kitten, she has a wonderful idea for the index.  (KC-The intro would have to be edited by me, but that’s easy peasy if C-girl gets an index).  Plus, I’ll speak to my admin friends (okay, one PM, but I make friends quickly) and get things coordinated.

Next.  Let’s see.  There is a wonderful thread that’s bursting just now (check it out and tell friends), from M*: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290282.0

Note I did not dress this URL up or anything.  (More to follow on that hopefully).

*M?  I’ve explained I love nicknames.  I’ve been working on one.  Thinking, thinking.  Flower?  What’s a good nickname for her? From the Steffy standpoint, it has to be good, then lend itself to essential shortening.  Flo?  Too Andy Griffith Show (Maybury) for me.  She’s been a Mentor and a Muse.  M&M—sure!  Great, but now it wonderfully gets shortened to the essence: M (for M&M).  Now, we also know the coolest head of Bond’s Agency was M.  So I’ll use M until M says ‘no’ politely or otherwise or pouts.

EDIT NOTE: Skip the 'more to follow' on the URL.  But can't hurt to let others know about this.

Flower

Quote from: Kit Cat on July 06, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
Just a follow on of this, and not sure if its possible now without editing the entire top of the original post, but if you look on the word of the day thread (and others) there is a long list of previous words that link directly to where it was posted.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=264702.0

Would it be worth editing somewhere on the first couple of posts and having something like that, front and centre under the titles "Questions Answered", "Answers Needed", "Ideas Ongoing" etc, so you can not only 'sell' the magic shop to anyone looking at it for the first time, but also have it as a quick click resource?

(Also Poet Cat is currently hiding under the table, looking for that damn trumpet)

Nifty idea, Cat. :)

Quote from: Steffy on July 06, 2018, 01:14:06 PM
Yikes!  That popcorn thing for an award must have had some synergistic wow in it!

First off, Courtney – first come, first burdened.  Thank you!  Yes, it's true. You’re the in-charge bitch on the index idea.  Be nice to the shop kitten, she has a wonderful idea for the index.  (KC-The intro would have to be edited by me, but that’s easy peasy if C-girl gets an index).  Plus, I’ll speak to my admin friends (okay, one PM, but I make friends quickly) and get things coordinated.

Next.  Let’s see.  There is a wonderful thread that’s bursting just now (check it out and tell friends), from M*: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290282.0

Note I did not dress this URL up or anything.  (More to follow on that hopefully).

*M?  I’ve explained I love nicknames.  I’ve been working on one.  Thinking, thinking.  Flower?  What’s a good nickname for her? From the Steffy standpoint, it has to be good, then lend itself to essential shortening.  Flo?  Too Andy Griffith Show (Maybury) for me.  She’s been a Mentor and a Muse.  M&M—sure!  Great, but now it wonderfully gets shortened to the essence: M (for M&M).  Now, we also know the coolest head of Bond’s Agency was M.  So I’ll use M until M says ‘no’ politely or otherwise or pouts.

Flower's fine. :P It's so perfect and beautiful.

Courtney if you need any help with the index idea, don't be afraid to poke me.

Courtney

I can start the index shortly, and I'm assuming you want it in the Help section where the Magic Shop is (currently) located?

Along those lines, a brief note to my co-authors: as this may take a bit of time to properly setup, expect posting delays.

Flower, I will definitely be tapping you for help as I start constructing! Thanks!

Now ... Where did I leave my tool belt? It's in here. .. somewhere.

Steffy

C-girl, I believe it will be in Help (99% sure), but why don't you hold on placement?  We may even get our own sticky note.  (Definitely more to follow, potentially on a PM).

And (Sigh).  Oddly, I was just expounding upon the benefits of ‘guilting’ elsewhere.  But I’m a girl of my word, ‘A-OK’ on Flower, not ‘M’—and I definitely agree Flower is so perfect and beautiful.

Note to all Magicians  The current record for rejection of a Steffy nickname is 9:03 as in minutes and seconds.  Commentators are already saying that time record will never be broken.  (Smile). 

Courtney

QuoteC-girl, I believe it will be in Help (99% sure), but why don't you hold on placement?  We may even get our own sticky note.  (Definitely more to follow, potentially on a PM).

A bit too late! I got a bit ambitious and started rolling with it. You can find what I have so far, here, but it can always be moved later if necessary. Feedback is always welcome, but please do it here or through pm, and not where I'm working on it.

Steffy

I'll bet you look sexy in the construction overalls.  Not a problem.  I'll PM the Lexandria with a copy to you and keep it rolling.