The Little People (Interest check and brainstorm)

Started by Chrystal, May 10, 2015, 07:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 12, 2015, 03:48:50 PM
Will alignment factor into anything?

Imps (despite not being all that evil) By nature cannot touch anything holy or blessed and plants tend to die around them.

I wasn't planning on having any sort of "alignment". This is not a system game, it's freeform (I don't do systems, sorry), and I was not thinking in terms of D&D rules. Rather than have an "alignment", I intend to have a "personality" section in the character sheet that you can use to detail how your character will react to and around others.

As for plants dying, that might make it a bit difficult if they live in a forest? Of course the entire forest is enchanted anyway, and is nurtured and protected by the other wee folk, so it wouldn't die. Hmm...

Would you maybe consider having the imp be a traitor? Want the forest destroyed (at least at first) maybe out of some kind of bitterness towards a perceived slight or some long-standing vendetta against the Fairy Queen? She could maybe try and work with the bad guys to get the forest destroyed, only to see the error of her ways at some point...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Chrystal on May 12, 2015, 04:54:34 PM
I wasn't planning on having any sort of "alignment". This is not a system game, it's freeform (I don't do systems, sorry), and I was not thinking in terms of D&D rules. Rather than have an "alignment", I intend to have a "personality" section in the character sheet that you can use to detail how your character will react to and around others.

As for plants dying, that might make it a bit difficult if they live in a forest? Of course the entire forest is enchanted anyway, and is nurtured and protected by the other wee folk, so it wouldn't die. Hmm...

Would you maybe consider having the imp be a traitor? Want the forest destroyed (at least at first) maybe out of some kind of bitterness towards a perceived slight or some long-standing vendetta against the Fairy Queen? She could maybe try and work with the bad guys to get the forest destroyed, only to see the error of her ways at some point...

I'm not good at playing evil characters but I was more thinking she would be the one to use darker magic, even if she is actually nice.

azzmeister89

Right I'm getting really excited about this rp, would anyone like to hash out the who and how of when my character gets shrunk. Developing his history with the fairy characters can come later but I'm very much looking forward to working that out too.

Chrystal

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 12, 2015, 04:59:41 PM
I'm not good at playing evil characters but I was more thinking she would be the one to use darker magic, even if she is actually nice.

That's fine. I thought I'd make the suggestion as it occurred to me. She's your character.

Quote from: azzmeister89 on May 12, 2015, 05:22:59 PM
Right I'm getting really excited about this rp, would anyone like to hash out the who and how of when my character gets shrunk. Developing his history with the fairy characters can come later but I'm very much looking forward to working that out too.

Hmmm... Well shrinking your character would certainly involve "darker magic"... But Can I suggest waiting at least until I have a character sheet up? We don't really know who is playing what, yet, and I would like to have a few more fairy and pixie characters, even a gnome or two... If you can all be patient a while longer I will see about opening an actual recruitment thread this weekend, with properly laid out rules and everything.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

azzmeister89

Sounds like a plan, I shall try and contain my excitement for now but I shall warn you..... It won't be pretty when unleashed, literal wall bouncing may be involved. :P

Vercile

Sorry, just some random thoughts;

- Perhaps this mansion has a mixed history, the older generation having experience with these mystical creatures within heir own backyard (Their backyard happening to be this "Enchanted Forest"). The next generation come to visit or even live there, and some of them are open minded, but others in the family are skeptical (or evil, or both!). The younger generation could spend their time fighting for the rights to the mansion after the elder passes away, on one side there's the believers who want to preserve the area and the other side who want to tear it down and rebuild or even sell it off. This can bring forth character development and connections, a plot and an array of problems within the story to overcome. Just an idea  I had, hopefully it sparks something in others too.

- Are we going with set powers, or can we make up our own and make them compatible with the roleplay and verse as oppose to being over powered?

- is it too early for a Base Character sheet? I'm pretty excited for this one.

Chrystal

I'll be opening a Recruitment thread this weekend. This is just an interest check to see if enough people came forward with enough ideas to build a universe on.

What I will do is formalise the "rules" for magic use - As the character Rumpelstiltskin says in the TV show 'Once Upon A Time', "Everything comes at a price"; also the setting and character types, and get all of this posted to the recruitment thread, incorporating those ideas I think will work.

I will then lock this thread, to move discussion and character creation to the new thread. The new thread will have a character sheet (or possibly two).

Please be aware that although something has been discussed here, I may decided not to include it in the finished product.

Anyway, once I have created the thread, I will post a link to it here before locking this one.

Thanks.

Dhi

I'm reminded a lot of Spiderwick Chronicles, a young adult series by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi. I followed it because I'm a fan of DiTerlizzi and his Brian Froud/Rebecca Guay inspired art, and have a whole shelf of books he's illustrated. The series itself was pretty cool and got a summer film during the era of Harry Potter, Golden Compass, and Lemony Snicket. There's also an audiobook collection narrated by Mark Hamill, which I have but never really listened to... might be a good way to inspire a fairy character!

The first Spiderwick series is loosely set around an old house like the one you have. It's been inherited by a divorcee and her three kids after the previous owner, a loopy old homebound aunt who purported to see fairies, was institutionalized. The premise is that the titular character and the kids' great-grandfather, Arthur Spiderwick, discovered the world of fairies and began to document it as a naturalist. His notes, which lay hidden for decades, are wanted by the story's evil ogre because he believes they contain the secrets of diverse fairykind (and fairies have a lot of secrets).

I would love to play a floral sprite in the vein of some of Spiderwick's fantastically creative creeps, and the tiny world of mouse steeds and leaf hammocks is something I've not yet had a chance to write about on E. During the summer I go out and help college students survey insect and plant life, and I've found I can literally talk for days about any given order of insect. Even though I'm working in water sanitation now, my heart is always going to be on a blade of grass with a ladybug, out in the field.

Chrystal

Hi Dhi. *hugs* glad to see you again.

I think I have come across the Spiderwick chronicles. I don't know if I saw the movie version, I may be confusing it with another similar film... Is this the one where they take the book out of the house against the advice of the elf, and the house is besieged by trolls, and they get a dragon to fly them to the place where the old man is being held hostage by the fairies?

If it is that one, then I have seen it!

If it isn't then there is yet another story that has a similar theme! LOL

I said this was cliché, didn't I?

azzmeister89

That was the spiderwick film you saw although I'm sure it was a Griffin and not a dragon that they flew.

Chrystal

azzmeister89

Haha your fine. I'm guessing we won't get to see anything quite so fantastical as a Griffin in this game?

Dhi

Yes, that's the one! I do love griffons, but for a story like this I'd be much more interested in the microcosm.

There was an old erotic comic called Bondage Fairies which also comes to mind. I think it was translated from Japanese by Eros. It seemed pretty creative and had some kind of ongoing story. I remember liking the illustrations of the bodies in motion, which communicated a light, delicate quality even in panels where the scale was not explicit as being a few inches high.