News:

Main Menu

Just Wondering

Started by Senti, October 09, 2009, 07:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senti

Just as a matter of interest I admit I am a bit of an RP gaming geek, but I was wondering if anyone else has played SLA Industries or Sky Realms of Jorune. (Two somewhat opposing games and settings.) However both are wonderful, rich in background and culture,  the worlds are very differant from most games I have played.

HairyHeretic

Heard of both of them, but haven't played them. The regular games for my pen and paper group include Scion, Legend of the Five Rings, GURPS, Shadowrun, Exalted and Star Wars.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Senti

They are both well worth checking out. SLA has a wonderfully simple system, and to play bad guys in a world without good guys. Is great fun, also it has the longest list of phobia’s I have found in any RP game.

Jorune is just beautiful, a cross between fantasy and Tech type genre. The native creatures of the planet are so interesting. It has an extremely believable history.

What games do others play? I know I am nosey.

MasterMischief

I prefer more universal systems since I can lift the world from anywhere.  I have played more than my fair share of G.U.R.P.S. and Hero.

As far as genre, mostly Fantasy and Supers.  I have dabbled in Espionage, Pirates and Wild West.

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure most of my group would go for a bad guys game. Some played an Abyssal Exalted campaign I ran, some didn't. I've also tried to get them interested in Dark Heresy, but the 40k universe isn't to their taste either. Ah well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Senti

I suppose I made that a little simple. Its much deeper than that. Its a horrible media festival, the world is horrific. One of the Quotes is ' Guns kill so does the Truth.' Another is 'Don't Rock the boat.

I suppose dark is not to everyones tastes.

The thing I found playing it was the amount we laughed, because otherwise we would likely have ended up as insane as our characters.

Thinking of that who just loves Call of Cthulhu.

(Yes I sound like a Geek)

HairyHeretic

I'm kinda familiar with it, as a friend of mine has played it before. She's not part of my regular pen and paper group. I've never played CoC either, but again I'm familiar with it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kazyth

I've played the gamut, but before I moved I played D&D (3.5 Ed and 4th), ran a Shadowrun game, ran a couple of Exalted games, and was part of a Deadlands game.

I'm hardcore craving a chance to play some tabletop Scion and nWoD Changeling, but that craving will likely go unsated for a while.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Celestial Goblin

I *love* SLA Industries - been waiting to get any action with it the moment I read it. :D

roleplayinggrl18

I have played "SLA industries" "D&D" "Wild talents" "world of darkness (old and new)" "hackmaster" "aberrant" "Paranoia" "Conspiracy X" "all flesh must be eaten" "ghosts of Albion" and am currently reading "Rogue trader" and "Kerberos Club"

And I am generally willing to try any game once

Aleph

I played what I assume by now is the first addition of SLA, it was a great setting but the rules were kind of clunky. As starting characters, our team discovered very fast that weaponry didn't wound what it could kill outright. Suffice to say that our campaign didn't survive the second firefight :)

Still, the sort of setting that made for very good freeforms in the right hands.

Chiya

SLA Industries is the Bomb!

I have to admit, though, that after having played under its creator, Dave Allsop, I am unable to play with anyone else. After the litany of bureaucratic nightmares and craven horror...(one word: Bitterness) my character went through over the course of just a few marathon sessions, I simply cannot bring myself to play in that world without him at its helm.

It is positively the most rivetting time I have ever had playing a guntoter in an rpg.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SLAIndustries

...Fingertips so gently on my skin...
...I'm underwater...
...I feel The Flood begin...

Ons and offs