Interest check - Classic Western game.

Started by Chrystal, April 04, 2015, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

la dame en noir

What I'm asking is: will there be diversity in culture/ethnic background? Or is this purely Eurocentric? I just want to get a taste of what it is before I think about a character.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Crash

la dame:  It would be historically accurate for their to be Mexican cowboys and rancheros, African ex-slaves, miners, ranch hands, cowboys, Chinese miners and Native Americans.  I may join this too.  A Native American would be interesting.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

xPeachyPuff

Soooo....I know I said I was interested in position of Gator's daughter and that I discussed it a tad with you Crystal. But my must is now pulling me in another direction and I'm having a lot more idea's with this instead. So I'll withdraw my interest for the daughters position for now and see what else I can come up with. (This doesn't mean I'm going to completely withdraw interest, just if someone else is happier taking the daughter role, then I'm happy to go with my current muse feels right now. Hope this makes sense.) I'm thinking an Asian saloon girl, would that be OK to have in this time period? (Just wanna double check before I get too into the idea.)

- Rainbow ♥

Crash

snorkle - I found this online.  Not sure how accurate it is.

The Chinese first came to Texas, in two contingents, with the railroads. The first group, 250 contract laborers from California, arrived in January 1870 with the Houston and Texas Central, whose railhead was then at Calvert. Although their labor on the Houston-Dallas line was abruptly terminated after less than a year and most of them soon left the state, a few nevertheless remained in Robertson County. In 1880 these seventy-two were 53 percent of the 136 Chinese living in Texas. The second contingent, also from California, came in 1881 with the Southern Pacific, whose 3,000-person work force was, except for 400, all Chinese. When the line was completed in 1883, some of them, too, stayed in Texas. By 1890 the number of Chinese statewide had jumped to 710, of whom 225 (32 percent) were in El Paso County.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

xPeachyPuff

Quote from: Crash on April 05, 2015, 07:20:18 PM
snorkle - I found this online.  Not sure how accurate it is.

The Chinese first came to Texas, in two contingents, with the railroads. The first group, 250 contract laborers from California, arrived in January 1870 with the Houston and Texas Central, whose railhead was then at Calvert. Although their labor on the Houston-Dallas line was abruptly terminated after less than a year and most of them soon left the state, a few nevertheless remained in Robertson County. In 1880 these seventy-two were 53 percent of the 136 Chinese living in Texas. The second contingent, also from California, came in 1881 with the Southern Pacific, whose 3,000-person work force was, except for 400, all Chinese. When the line was completed in 1883, some of them, too, stayed in Texas. By 1890 the number of Chinese statewide had jumped to 710, of whom 225 (32 percent) were in El Paso County.

Thank you, Crash <3

- Rainbow ♥

la dame en noir

Thank you for this RP idea...I'm literally learning stuff they never taught me in school...
A&A | FxF |

Crash

Interesting note I learned in one of my classes.  Cowboys were some of the more egalitarian groups in the wild west.  African Americans were often given some of the more important positions within a cattle drive because they often had the most experience and were give hard jobs like breaking horses on ranches.  It would not be uncommon for an African American to be riding point or flank on a drive and for a white ranchers' sons to be eating the herd's dust riding rear because they were a green horn.

Another interesting note is the position of cook on a cattle drive was one of the most important and high ranking positions on a cattle drive unlike how they are portrayed in movies.  It was a position many African American cowboys achieved through merit.  I believe that their was even a documented occurrence of an African American trail boss.

Native American's would be harder to play at this time as they were at war in the 1870's with many Texans.  A large group of Comanche were relocated to Oklahoma in the 1890's I think.

la dame en noir

Hispanic, African, and Natives had a big impact on the Wild West - I'm just finding out. I just hate how history books for high school students don't even talk about it... =.=

But, I will be making an African woman - possibly an escaped slave...trying to figure out what to do with her. If time allows it, I'll make a mixed/passing woman as well to work in a saloon.
A&A | FxF |

Chrystal

Crash, would you like the role of Daniel Gator? I am asking because you would make a great Co-GM in this and the Co-GM needs to know the plot, and....

... And I'm trying not to babble...!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Crash

Quote from: la dame en noir on April 05, 2015, 07:43:52 PM
Hispanic, African, and Natives had a big impact on the Wild West - I'm just finding out. I just hate how history books for high school students don't even talk about it... =.=

But, I will be making an African woman - possibly an escaped slave...trying to figure out what to do with her. If time allows it, I'll make a mixed/passing woman as well to work in a saloon.

Yes they did as did the Chinese.  Lots of important work by non-Europeans in the Wild West that is only now really being talked about.

Quote from: Chrystal on April 05, 2015, 07:46:54 PM
Crash, would you like the role of Daniel Gator? I am asking because you would make a great Co-GM in this and the Co-GM needs to know the plot, and....

... And I'm trying not to babble...!

Chrystal - My writers block has been so bad lately that I would not want to take on such a large roll.  I may create a character because it offers a lot of interesting possibilities and the people interested in the game so far are people I have enjoyed playing with.  However I am taking a break from GM any more games. Thank you for the offer though.

You are very welcome Rainbow.

RubySlippers

Cowboys that would be correct they would be more open minded to a degree and remember Hispanic peoples were part of both the army to free Texas and in the Confederate units as enlisted and officers so they would likely not have issues as much as other groups and intermarriage was not uncommon. Indians would be an issue depending on the tribe and how well they got along with the town. Any that served in the Confederate Army of Texas would likely have it easiest IF they aren't troublemakers now I would think.

I wanted to have a tie to the main bad guy does he or close relations have service in the Confederate Army or recognized militia units in Texas?

Oh my character needs a woman servant and her background would have been good to the freed slaves considering, she will assure a decent income and treatment if she's loyal to her mistress if coloured. And she would favor her servant to have some education.

la dame en noir

I would also like to point out (as Crash has already said), people of color had very important roles in the wild west - the history books just fail to report it.
A&A | FxF |

Chrystal

Quote from: Crash on April 05, 2015, 07:50:27 PM
Yes they did as did the Chinese.  Lots of important work by non-Europeans in the Wild West that is only now really being talked about.

Chrystal - My writers block has been so bad lately that I would not want to take on such a large roll.  I may create a character because it offers a lot of interesting possibilities and the people interested in the game so far are people I have enjoyed playing with.  However I am taking a break from GM any more games. Thank you for the offer though.

You are very welcome Rainbow.

In that case, would you be averse to being something of an historical consultant? Correct me if I get stuff horribly wrong?

I should probably point out, by the way, that only a few cattle drives were ever made - the long distance ones, anyway. The purpose was to drive the vast numbers of beef cattle from Texas to the railways in Kansas, but as the railways were built across Texas, so the cattle drive went the way of the Pony Express. I believe other drives were made into New Mexico for the purpose of feeding the Native Americans who had been left there to starve. Driving cattle short distances has been done all over the world for millennia.... What made the Texas cattle drives different was the distances involved, and the pugnacious nature of the Texas Longhorn!

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 05, 2015, 07:58:22 PM
Cowboys that would be correct they would be more open minded to a degree and remember Hispanic peoples were part of both the army to free Texas and in the Confederate units as enlisted and officers so they would likely not have issues as much as other groups and intermarriage was not uncommon. Indians would be an issue depending on the tribe and how well they got along with the town. Any that served in the Confederate Army of Texas would likely have it easiest IF they aren't troublemakers now I would think.

I wanted to have a tie to the main bad guy does he or close relations have service in the Confederate Army or recognized militia units in Texas?

Oh my character needs a woman servant and her background would have been good to the freed slaves considering, she will assure a decent income and treatment if she's loyal to her mistress if coloured. And she would favor her servant to have some education.

I think we can make Daniel Gator a retired Colonel in the Confederate Armed Forces... and his grandfather would have been a Captain of the Texas Free Militia under Sam Houston, fighting Santa Anna!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Crash

Chrystal - I will help out where ever I can.  I am not an expert be any means.  I have studied Native American's but mostly from before European contact and I have a few classes on Native Americans and minority groups around the time you are talking about.

Hmmm, should I use Ashley Callingbull as a face claim?  She is a true Native American beauty....

Chrystal

Quote from: la dame en noir on April 05, 2015, 07:59:06 PM
I would also like to point out (as Crash has already said), people of color had very important roles in the wild west - the history books just fail to report it.

Okay, first of all, I have absolutely no issues whatever with people playing "African-American" red or yellow characters, just no green ones please? I have nothing against Martians, mind, I just don't think they belong in the setting.

And that sums it up. Of the character fits, the character will be allowed. My one concern is that racism was so prevalent back then that it wasn't even called racism. It was so normal there wasn't even a word for it! And as I pointed out, if a "non-white" person killed a white person, even in self defence, they would be hanged for murder, assuming they weren't just gunned down. This was the case in the Deep South until the 1950s! And Texas is part of the Deep South!

la dame en noir

Thats not at all why I pointed it out. I'm not sure what exactly you think I was stating, but it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the jobs and statuses they were allowed in the Wild West. I am American after all and my mother is Louisiana...I know this all too well.

Anyways, it seems there have been a lot of miscommunication - so I'll just withdraw my interest, but this is a awesome enough concept to get you far. Have fun guys.
A&A | FxF |

Chrystal

I'm suspending this thread until people calm down and get off the race issue. I may just abandon the idea, because right now I'm pissed off!

Chrystal

Okay, unsuspended on the condition we can please stay on topic? If we wander off again, I will simply abandon the game!

You have been warned!

BeckyAnnn

** * hugs * * * Chrystal.

I am interested in the role of Gator ' s daughter.  I know that I told you that in PM but just wanted to put it out on the thread. :)

Dhi

Some potentially Bad nuns I have liked.

I was never able to find model credit for any of them. I don't think posing in a habit for fetish photography is a very high priority in the ole portfolio.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on April 06, 2015, 04:10:02 PM

I was never able to find model credit for any of them. I don't think posing in a habit for fetish photography is a very high priority in the ole portfolio.

Heh, probably not.  The first nun looks very bad...>.>...

RubySlippers

Quote from: Dhi on April 06, 2015, 04:10:02 PM

Here is a period nun.

Chrystal

Okay, in terms of costume and appearance, number 4 is the one that fits best in my opinion, with number 3 a close second!

Questions I have asked myself when looking at the pictures:  Would there be an Eastern Orthodox convent in Texas in the 1870's? The crosses in the first two are Orthodox crosses. Are the costumes appropriate? Number 1 actually looks more like a nurse, and number 2 is just wearing a shawl and a load of jewellery, not a habit! And finally, would a nun wear make-up in the 1870s? Probably not, and number three is heavily made up. BUT, the character is actually a "fake" nun, so may not realise that she shouldn't be wearing eye liner and mascara!

I like the last one because of the innocent face with the guilty look! Plus I have a thing for redheads! *giggles*

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 06, 2015, 04:19:47 PM
Here is a period nun.

Interesting....

Dhi

The emblem's an unusual decision. That and the cornette are relics of another era. Now in my lifetime they're ditching the habit completely. It's like they're trying to kill Catholicism for me!

I mean, we still have nuns in Buddhism, but it's really not the same. :-(

In any case, I would like to go dark & sexy rather than for greatest historical accuracy. My inspiration is nunsploitation, the violent and risque world of 1970s nun cinema which was certainly inspired by The Devils, but might have had a contemporary in Sister Sara.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Chrystal on April 06, 2015, 04:28:05 PM
Okay, in terms of costume and appearance, number 4 is the one that fits best in my opinion, with number 3 a close second!

Questions I have asked myself when looking at the pictures:  Would there be an Eastern Orthodox convent in Texas in the 1870's? The crosses in the first two are Orthodox crosses. Are the costumes appropriate? Number 1 actually looks more like a nurse, and number 2 is just wearing a shawl and a load of jewellery, not a habit! And finally, would a nun wear make-up in the 1870s? Probably not, and number three is heavily made up. BUT, the character is actually a "fake" nun, so may not realise that she shouldn't be wearing eye liner and mascara!

I like the last one because of the innocent face with the guilty look! Plus I have a thing for redheads! *giggles*

Interesting....

Honestly likely no the main ethnic groups were white who would be protestant or catholic and Hispanic and they are very likely to be roman catholic. Unless your of the orthodox arm of the roman catholic faith that is possible.