Save the City or Stay with Your Prom Date? - Michigan Marvels - Emerging Heroes

Started by Devil's Advocate, December 29, 2012, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil's Advocate

These are the high pressure questions that you will have to answer in Michigan Marvels.  Everyone starts play as a junior in Neptune High School.  Things seem dangerous but ordinary in this depressed urban environment until you find that you are developing a unique, special ability.  As far as you know, you're the only one in the world that has these special abilities. So, do you continue to blend in or try to make the school and city better?

Please note that the game tends to focus more on the high school interactions than on the heroing. While both are important, I wish to emphasize character interaction. Thus, we also have a posting requirement of at least two times a week. Players should be able to write well and help create the environment of the city of Neptune, Michigan.  Since this is a low powered hero games, players should only have one super power base: speed, strength, healing, fire, or the
like. If interested, send an application to me by PM.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Branwen

I heard that if you don't join Michigan Marvels you will weep bitter tears. 

Bitter.

Tears.

AidenWhite

My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

Devil's Advocate

O/o's

A/a's

mayovagn

It is necessary to be a part of such an illustrious and interesting group.

Necessary.

Do not question, do not hesitate, do not froth at the mouth and start to speak in tongues.

Just do it.

You know you want to.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Branwen

I'm so sorry for not thinking this was needed sooner.  It's referenced above, but sometimes links are easy to miss.

Code (Character Sheet Format) Select
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA:
Hero Name:
Date of Birth:
Citizenship:
Place of Birth:
Sexual Orientation:
Known Relatives:
Major Enemies:
Extent of Education:

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height:
Weight:
Hair:
Eyes:
Skin:
Other distinguishing Features:
Uniform/Costume:
Usual Style/Clothes:
Health:
Mental Health:
Appearance:

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

Name:
Effects:
Duration:
Disadvantages:

BACKGROUND:
Personality:
Favorite Quote:
Quirks:
Hobbies:
History:

Devil's Advocate

You take such good care of me, Branwen. 

And yes, it is necessary so that you can fully immerse yourself in the environment.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Interested

Cancelled.

Eh, I didn't see that this was  an Academy game.

AribethAmkiir

Is it possible to see what types of powers are already approved?  Just so we can try not to overlap and also get a sense of what "low powered" means.  I know you said to keep it to one super power base, but there's a large range within each base.

Oh, and totally interested.  I'll PM a sheet to you this evening.

mayovagn

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on December 29, 2012, 04:08:35 PM

Please note that the game tends to focus more on the high school interactions than on the heroing. While both are important, I wish to emphasize character interaction.

Since this is a low powered hero games, players should only have one super power base: speed, strength, healing, fire, or the like.

If interested, send an application to me by PM.

I think what DA is looking for, to clarify a little, is low power, single ability supers at the very start of their power. They have these strange things they can do, but most are not even aware at game start of this. They have no control, no experience and are very far from being super heroes. The story, the fun, the interest being in seeing how these relative nobodies, these misfits, these anyman's become heroes in their own right and their own way. All of them flawed and human and interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong here please DA. *Grins*

TLDR - This is a story of becoming and struggle as I see it.

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

mayovagn

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on December 30, 2012, 03:18:14 PM
Is it possible to see what types of powers are already approved?  Just so we can try not to overlap and also get a sense of what "low powered" means.  I know you said to keep it to one super power base, but there's a large range within each base.

Oh, and totally interested.  I'll PM a sheet to you this evening.

Helen Poston

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
Name:  Darkness Manipulation
Effects:  Darkness is not the absence of light, but the presence of its opposite.  Currently she can cause wisps of it to flow like inky fog over an object and cover perhaps a square meter with a blanket that can range from slightly grey to absolute black.  With serious concentration she can make a single tendril extend, two centimeters around and perhaps a half meter long, and move at her direction.  It can curl and twist and knot and seems almost physically tangible but it has as yet only a visual effect.
Duration:  Until concentration is lost.
Disadvantages:  The brighter the ambient light, especially sunlight, the more concentration it takes.  It also takes a physical toll on her, as if using the power burns calories like working out.  Elevated heart rate, rapid breathing are common and she's intensely hungry after using it for anything more than mere play.  If she does not eat, it will have an effect similar to a diabetic crashing out from low blood sugar.
Aides:  None yet discovered.

James O'Neil Jr.

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

Name:
?

Effects:
The placing together of two parts of his body (I.e His forearm and bicep, like when he flexes his biceps, or thumb and forefinger), followed by the rapid separation if the same, instantly creates a pocket of low air pressure, which, when directed in order to fill itself out, will immediately be set off in said direction. The power can crush through concrete, warp metal, and virtually tear a person in half. Needless to say, the larger the area of opened contact, the more powerful the force. Can also be used to propel the user in the direction opposite the direction that it is sent.

Duration:
The best he can get it up to 20 feet, although he is working on that, and he can use it to leap up to 6 yards straight in any direction (say, 6 yards straight up, 5 yards up, 1 meter forward, etc)

Disadvantages:
Requires movement, thus, if he is restrained, he cannot use his power, no-how.

Isolde Lenore Black

POWERS AND ABILITIES: Isi's molecular structure has altered greatly with the onset of her powers.  She is now a gestalt entity; each individual cell is part of the whole and retains a small amount of her overall personality and intelligence.  She is able to absorb any biological material that comes into skin contact with her, animal or vegetable, as long as it is dead.  She uses this not as a weapon but merely as a form of feeding herself.  This includes airborne dead skin cells, fallen hair, other biowaste.  She is not necessarily conscious of doing this. It does however reduce her overall need to feed conventionally to near nil as long as she is in a fairly well populated area. She doesn't require much sleep; a maximum of one hour per night is required.  She can change her shape at will, and has a mental capacity to remember the form of anything she has directly sampled by skin contact and mimic them down fairly closely. Certainly closely enough to fool any biometrics scanning devices such as fingerprint or retina, as long as that material is biological. Anything mineral can be copied, but only using biological structures. She can also mimic things she merely sees, but this is not done in so complete and professional a way. She is capable of flattening her mass to conceal herself and adhere to walls, even flow up them, though this is usually achieved somewhat slowly. she is fully capable of camouflaging herself as part of any surface she is adhered to. This is only useful when she is moving slowly however, as with fast movement she would be unable to keep up with the necessary colour and texture changes. Isi has been known to use sense organs from lower animal forms when in this 'surveillance' state, as they are far less conspicuous than those of a human.
Isi can survive being dismembered, her various parts will form into a shape enabling them to return to the whole.
Cutting or stabbing Isi has little effect, her strange physiology only slightly resists such abuse, the blade slipping through the flesh like it was cutting thick jelly (Jello I believe our American friends call it) the wound only revealing the same pink flesh and not bleeding at all.
While copying another life form after skin contact Isi is as vulnerable as that form is, she will bleed, bones will break etc.  However if she is to fall unconscious she will return to her own form, and any lost mass i.e. blood, will return to the whole.
Telepaths have great difficulty reading Isi.  Her mind is spread out throughout every living cell in her body, and it takes months of practice to even hear the slightest background whisper, like millions of tiny voices.
Isi doesn't seem to be ageing, her cells renewing themselves by the absorption process mentioned earlier in the profile seems to be capable of extending her life almost indefinitely. she is also immune to mutagenic agents.

Limitations: Her ability to ignore cutting or impaling attacks is vastly offset by her reaction to energy weapons such as particle projectors and lasers. Any projected energy weapon that, as a side effect of its penetration, causes a terrific amount of heat. Isi's physiology does not deal particularly well with such damage. Extremes of heat and cold also badly effect Isi. Due to the unique nature of Isi's physiology, conventional medicine can have very little effect on her. Any infection that does jump the species gap could very well kill her. Additionally, Isi's mental abilities allow her to maintain control over her shape. Anyone or anything that is able to nullify that power will reduce her to a large pink gelatinous mass of flesh. This is a very unpleasant state for Isi, as she is reduced to only the one outside sense. That of touch.

Experience: Isi is yet to really fully understand this ability and it has a strong tendency to react to her emotional states and subconscious desires. Its far from being under her control.

Branwen

Hello, Interested.  I always love your entendres.

Hello, AribethAmkiir.  What a pretty name.  Did May answer your question enough or do you still have further?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: mayovagn on December 30, 2012, 03:38:13 PM
I think what DA is looking for, to clarify a little, is low power, single ability supers at the very start of their power. They have these strange things they can do, but most are not even aware at game start of this. They have no control, no experience and are very far from being super heroes. The story, the fun, the interest being in seeing how these relative nobodies, these misfits, these anyman's become heroes in their own right and their own way. All of them flawed and human and interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong here please DA. *Grins*

TLDR - This is a story of becoming and struggle as I see it.

YAY!  Bran gets it!  :)  She nailed it on the head! 

This is a game where everything is as you would expect it in modern times.  You are the first ever mutants and you're not even sure it is you.  Who knows?  Is a ghost following you around?  Are your eyes playing tricks on you?  Can you connect cause and effect?  It is a coming of age and of strength that makes this game unique.
O/o's

A/a's

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Interested on December 30, 2012, 02:30:55 PM
Cancelled.

Eh, I didn't see that this was  an Academy game.

Not academy but not a world of power either.  You have to have teachers to have an academy.  Here, you have no teachers.  You are the first of your kind. :)
O/o's

A/a's

Branwen

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on December 30, 2012, 06:12:41 PM
YAY!  Bran gets it!  :)  She nailed it on the head! 

This is a game where everything is as you would expect it in modern times.  You are the first ever mutants and you're not even sure it is you.  Who knows?  Is a ghost following you around?  Are your eyes playing tricks on you?  Can you connect cause and effect?  It is a coming of age and of strength that makes this game unique.

*stage whisper*  You misspelled May.  It's emm ay why.  Not bee arr ay en.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Branwen on December 30, 2012, 06:16:30 PM
*stage whisper*  You misspelled May.  It's emm ay why.  Not bee arr ay en.

*laughs at self*  Yes, I did misspell May.  Darn bedtime routines can be so distracting!  And soon, it is off to the get snacks for tabletop and E all night (and morning).
O/o's

A/a's

PhantomPistoleer

I'm still working on it.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Character Sheet:

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA:

Hero Name:  Altitude
Date of Birth:  8/28/19-- (17 years of age)
Citizenship:  United States of America with no prior criminal record;
Place of Birth:  Atlanta, Georgia
Sexual Orientation:  Heterosexual
Known Relatives:  Debra Ayres (Mother), Adam Ayres (Father), Bree Ayres (Sister)
Major Enemies:  Mr. Fallout
Extent of Education:  High School (AP Honors in Biology, Calculus, Chemistry)

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height:  6'1
Weight:  170 lbs.
Hair:  Brown
Eyes:  Brown
Skin:  White
Other distinguishing Features:  None
Uniform/Costume: The uniform is a form-fitted, embellished pilot's uniform created specifically to withstand high speeds.
Usual Style/Clothes:  Altitude dresses in a laid-back manner;  his attire typically consists of jeans and a shirt, with a zip-up cotton hoodie.  Money isn't really a problem -- but Johnathan doesn't really care about brand names, and he never has the time to go shopping.
Health:  Altitude has the strength, speed and stamina of a normal human individual his size and age that undergoes a relaxed physical fitness regimen.  He can breathe easily at high altitudes, and can survive flying at speeds in excess of 500 miles per hour.
Mental Health:  Altitude has a healthy family life and is generally considered to be outgoing, albeit serious.  Sometimes, and for weeks at a time, Altitude nurses a bruised ego when he fails.  Though he hasn't been a superhero for very long, he hasn't had a lot of luck during that time.
Appearance:  Altitude is a handsome young man with brown hair and brown eyes.  He is of medium build and above average height.  He has an austere appearance and a stoic air, diminished by a quaint, faint and sincere grin.  He looks a lot like his father.

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

Name:  Subsonic Flight
Effects:  Altitude can propel his body forward through space at mach speed.  Furthermore, he is physically able to withstand environmental conditions at high speeds.  His body develops an invisible aerodynamic sheathe that allows Altitude to cut through the air without hindering his speed.  His lungs have undergone a biological change, in that they are longer and thicker, and are able to acquire and retain oxygen at superhuman levels.  His eyes are also physically stronger, and he is able to see clearly even in flight.
Duration:  Conscious
Disadvantages:  Altitude has difficulty controlling his flight patterns in tight spaces.  He is also highly prone to injury at top speeds.

BACKGROUND:

Personality:  Altitude is friendly and outgoing.  He enjoys being a superhero.  Like any superhero his age, he sometimes gets frustrated with all of his responsibilities.
Favorite Quote:  "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  -- Leonardo da Vinci
Quirks:  Though he isn't as secretive as he should be regarding his secret identity, Altitude is a naturally secretive person.  He exhibits patterns of behavior -- like a pitcher -- to cool him down during his superheroic exploits. 
Hobbies:  Altitude is your average high school student:  he likes baseball, video games, comic books and Western cinema.
History:  Johnathan Ayres is the youngest of two children.  His father is a corporal in the military, stationed at Selfridge in Harrison, and his mother is an ad executive for one of Michigan's largest firms.  Like any other military kid, he moved around a lot and seldom had enough time to make lasting relationships.  He never excelled in classes, because he seldom finished his work.  Despite all of it, he is considered to be, by American standards, very average.  Or at least, as average as a young man who can fly can be.

He doesn't know how it happened, but he began flying in his sleep nearly six months ago.  Johnathan remembers having very vivid dreams of flying weeks prior, but he does not think that those dreams manifested his powers.  At first, he flew in secrecy.  He took on superheroics by accident when he saved a woman from a mugger during a midnight flight.  It's difficult to express exactly what he found so appealing about helping people, but he became addicted to being a hero.  He began to patrol some of the more dangerous neighborhoods, and he ran into complicated moral situations.  In one instance, he was shot in the shoulder.  No longer capable of explaining his injuries to his parents, Johnathan came clean.  At first, they were reluctant about their son's extracurricular activities, but they ultimately came around.  His mother created a dummy corporation that employed the services of her advertising firm to create a working superhero costume, and his father used his military contacts to develop training theories for machineless flight.  Altitude kind of feels stupid wearing the outfit.

He has very limited experience actually using his powers for the purpose of crime-fighting, but he has managed to irk a Michigan criminal, Mr. Fallout.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Starlequin

I usually stay away from high school games, but...damn, I think I want to join this one. If there's still room, that is.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

AribethAmkiir

Question was answered thoroughly.  Thank you all.    :D

And thanks for the compliment on the name Branwen.

Hoping to have a character sheet submitted by the time I go to sleep tonight.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Starlequin on December 30, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
I usually stay away from high school games, but...damn, I think I want to join this one. If there's still room, that is.

Not a typical high school game.  We look forward to receiving an app.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Vladimir valentine

I am very interested in this game, I may make a character if that's ok.

Devil's Advocate

O/o's

A/a's

Vladimir valentine

(picture) http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/29000000/icon-for-hire-icon-for-hire-29015330-1920-1200.jpg
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA:
Hero Name: None
Date of Birth: Age 17, may 5th
Citizenship: American, never arrested for felonies.
Place of Birth: Los Angeles California
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual, Straight.
Known Relatives:  Father (Kyle Heartnet) mother (crystal Heartnet) divorced.
Major Enemies: None
Extent of Education:  Has gone to multiple schools, and kicked out of a few. Has managed to pass all of her classes up to this point, but is no straight A student.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height:5'5"
Weight: 95-100 lbs, speculated.
Hair: Fuchsia, purple, black, red... Constantly changes.
Eyes: Changes
Skin: Light peach color.
Other distinguishing Features:  has snakebite piercings, and a tongue piercing along with multiple ear piercings.
Uniform/Costume:  Costume is that of a female magician.
Usual Style/Clothes: Punk rocker
Health: Perfect
Mental Health: Perfect
Appearance: She looks like a classic punk rocker, looks like a bad kid and acts like one too.

POWERS AND ABILITIES:

Name:Illusions
Effects: Can create a multitude of illusions. From simple things such as glamours and charms to walls of energy and shards of energy, to making things disappear and creat things out of nothing.
Duration: Consciousness, and energy level, concentration.
Disadvantages: Higher level powers involve incantations such as saying the name of it backwards, or certain words to create them.

BACKGROUND:
Personality: Isabella is a classic badass. She does what she wants when she wants too. She isn't mrs.popular, but she's not picked on.

Favorite Quote:''The world is very different for those who cannot see beyond what is placed before their very eyes.''
-- LeBlanc, the Deceiver

Quirks: Referees to her powers as magic.
Hobbies:  She is am amazing artist, actor and singer. She also used to be a gymnast. During her free time she experiments with her powers.

History: Isabella Heartnet grew up in a troubled home. Both parents worked full time, and always fought. She learned about her powers early on and was branded a freak. She never liked people, she found them to be problems. However she wasn't as hard and stone cold as she acted, as a matter of fact she isn't. She learned to use her "magic" in multiple ways, understanding how it works and how to manipulate it. She has learned how to use it to her benefit, and has now become a heroine. She doesn't have a super hero name, and has only subdued a hand full of criminals. Though powerful she lacks stamina when it comes to her "magic". She often runs out of energy or passes out from over exertion. Her parents divorced recently and she went off to live with her dad. He works full time as a lawyer, though he makes a lot of money he's not really around. Isabella was recently transferred to Michigan avengers, but she's used to moving from school to school. She had been kicked out of a few, and has been arrested for vandalism. Now a junior in school, she has decided to take all the art classes possible in order to build an art portfolio for a career.Her mother who she doesn't get along with at all is Crystal Heartnet, she works as a nurse.

PoisonousKitty

I might be down for this :) ill try and throw something up here in the next day or so :)