Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

Steffy a short time away from E doing something

Playing catch up while marveling at the miracle of sun block, fancy-fonts" border="0, I award thee:

Starburst Award! Yay!

Steffy

Below is my effort at trying to work on my signature. 
Thanks for the help (I used the quote trick).  I decided I liked them bunched in the middle. 
I also thought a crisper look was the description on top. 
That’s the second one on display.  BUT I can’t seem to figure out how to place the Cute Girl wording atop the photo. 
Help!  After that, what I’d like to do is link the pics to the site (e.g. Ons and offs to: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290686.0
Thank you everyone and anyone!

***NOTE: TinyPic photos lost - help was provided

Ons & Offs

Cute Girl Detective Agency

Steffy's Magic Shop

Ons & Offs
Cute Girl Detective Agency

Jaclyn

Tables. The secret is Tables.

I used image padding to guarantee the spacing. Adjusted all images to same height as the Magic Shop. Put all the images inside the URL tags so even the pictures are hot links. Used a phony URL for the CGDA URL. Within each td tag pair, centered the contents. Centered the entire table.

[center][table][tr][td][center][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290221.0][img padding=20]http://i67.tinypic.com/168xthx.jpg[/img]
[i]Steffy's Magic Shop[/i][/url][/center][/td]
[td][center][url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=290686.0][img height=91 padding=20]http://i65.tinypic.com/inwbgk.jpg[/img]
[i]Ons & Offs[/i][/url][/center][/td]
[td][center][url=https://sun.com][img height=91 padding=20]http://i63.tinypic.com/sblug0.jpg[/img]
[i]Cute Girl Detective Agency[/i][/url][/center][/td][/tr][/table][/center]

Steffy

Hear Ye! Hear me!

Pout!  No one, absolutely no one complimented Announcement Steffy, the first go round.  This is your second chance (hint, hint, very big hint—anyone want a box of candy?).

Now for the big announcement.  Okay, okay, a NOT SO BIG ANNOUNCEMENT  I have the World Famous Cute Girl Detective Agency under construction.  This is where girls accomplish the impossible: Cute (which undoubtedly includes sexy) girls are detectives who solve major mysteries. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=291256.0 

Truth be told, I wanted to get the URL to complete my signature.  The signature started with a major first suggestion by Flower and wended its way to the end with last suggestion by Jaclyn, others helped in between. 

Hears (sp?) an idea!

And this idea is inspired by everyone who contributed.  Plus, my consternation at trying to get acclimated at E—ons and offs and signatures were a mystery (See!  Mysteries abound!  Thus, at least one need for the CGDA (maybe)—that’s a joke!).  My serious idea is to encourage anyone in need of a designed signature or O/Os to ask for input here.  Maybe request and get a template for carrying on. Or a possibility is a magician just says here you go!  Voila!   Of course, an explanation would be great. Thoughts?  Interested volunteer(s)?

Let me explain

Steffy

Jaclyn

Under Rule #6 in the Rules for Images, Avatars, and Signatures, images used in Signatures must all be uploaded to the Elluiki. Use the Upload file and follow the instructions.

Steffy

We have rules.  That’s just the way it is! 
Rule 4 precedes our Rule 5 which is just before Rule 6. 

You may have to go to Rule School if other violations are brought to our attention.

Steffy

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!

With help from many, I overcame my blondeness
& got an effing signature!!!!!!!  Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Peripherie

Sorry I missed this earlier - Thank you for the Starburst Award! :) And the signature looks good!
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Steffy

BT- Baddest Tattooer
Dear Peripherie:

Good news, bad news it seems.  Poor Peripherie.  I am plowing through the Rule Book.  (See above for Jaclyn’s insight on rules).  It seems that there is a whole evolving set of Rules at E with regard to the Magic Shop.  Who knew?  Rule 2,108.73 provides that any award given out must be quickly acknowledged.  If it is not acknowledged quickly enough, it, the award image,  will be tattooed by BT (I’m not sure if that shouldn’t be badass tattooist, maybe it is, anyways, I hope the titling is a typo!)

So yes, anyways, if you don’t want a tattoo (you may only be left with the choice of location at the moment), we can work on your defense.  I’d recommend hammering away on the subjective meaning of ‘quickly’. 

/s/ Anonymous

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Al Terego

Greetings!

Though not a master wizard, I have nonetheless picked up some useful incantations during my journeys, some of which I would like to share with you today.

People have mentioned GIMP for image editing.  However, while it is powerful sorcery, it can be confusing to mere mortals.  As an alternative, one can use an online image editor right from their browser of choice.

The following 5 online image editors strike different balances between ease of use and wealth of features:Enjoy!

-- Al

Steffy

Wondering, wondering

Wowser!  Editing from easy to complex, or complex to more complex.  Al, I award thee:

Now, for the rest: First off Al, I don’t know how this rule issue slipped in.  (See the Peripherie issue above).  I will say that these awards are given in the spirit of unconditional award—no crazy tattoos unless you favor that like some of us do.

Second, our much awarded frequent contributor Jaclyn has been an advocate of GIMP.  It could not hurt to hear some commentary from her if she’s had any experience with these.

And finally, very cool signature line Al!

Jaclyn

  Here's an interesting site I used a while ago to make business cards that I used for online play. One can make all sorts of other custom things there too. I then use Windows Snipping Tool to grab the finished image and clean that up in GIMP or your choice of image editor. Zazzle
  And here's a simple magic trick with Lists:

• First.
    • First.1
    • First.2
  • Second.
[list type=disc]
[li]First.[list type=circle]
[li]First.1[/li]
[li]First.2[/li]
[/list][/li]
[li]Second.[/li]
[/list]

• First.

• First.a
    • First.b
  • Second
[list type=decimal]
[li]First.[list type=lower-roman]
[li]First.a[/li]
[li]First.b[/li]
[/list][/li]
[li]Second[/li]
[/list]

Steffy

I’m bedazzled, hmm

Jaclyn, again you bedazzle.  I award thee:
lists, lists, columns, columns

AND: I agree with Jaclyn about Zazzle.  On recent occasions, Steffy has gotten some pins made to reflect her feelings on certain political issues.  Great source for that.  I can’t speak for Jaclyn, but I have no financial interest.  And I don’t think the rumors are true that Jaclyn’s full name is Jaclyn Zazzle Rosendahl.

p.s.  On the award issue, I truly hope that the tattoo rule is not in play.  Some of these awards are majorly large for tats!

Al Terego

Hello Steffy,

I...  Um...  Ah...  Damn!  (( tears eyes from Steffy's avatar, regains composure ))
Curse my EDBB syndrome!

Thank you very much for your kind words and the cool award, both are appreciated.

I believe that I am in compliance with your stated rules, regulations and bylaws, so there is no need to apply any branding to my skin.
As Peri, she has already been judged, found wanting and summarily tickled for her transgressions, past and future; so further punishment may not be necessary (at least until she stops squirming).

On the subject of GIMP, I personally use Paint.net but the big advantage of the online editors is that they can be used from any computer with an internet connection.

Moving on to an unrelated topic, I would like to share a minor cantrip: the often underappreciated [abbr] tag.
As the name implies, it's main purpose is to expand abbreviations and acronyms by hovering over them, but it can also be used to provide translations of foreign phrases, OOC notes, etc.

I have used it in the beginning of this post (utilizing Chekhov's gun principle), and now is a good time to explain the format:

[abbr=Hover text]Main text[/abbr]

Hope you find it useful.

Cheers,
-- Al

Steffy

Witch/Nurse Steffy

Uh-oh!  Emergency!  Emergency!  Contributor with EDBB syndrome!  Fortunately, the shop has gone through all sorts of training.  (I’ve referenced one of our training manuals.  There’s only one solution: ‘Systematic desensitization, a type of behavioral therapy based on the principle of classical conditioning. Developed by Wolpe during the 1950s. This therapy aims to remove the response, and substitute a relaxation response to the conditional stimulus gradually using counter conditioning.)

“Focus!  Then relax!”  (I think that’s how it’s done).  Cheers Al!

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on July 29, 2018, 10:12:29 AM
Witch/Nurse Steffy

Damn...  You just had to do that, didn't you?

*melts*

Steffy

Look! I went fishing!

I was looking around, went to the Help section and saw a request for a font tutorial.  Nico was nice to respond and provided this brilliance from Caeli (my first catch of the day!):

***I tell you, there are lots of witches and magicians out there.*** 

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn

  Web safe fonts are a thing. Every computer probably comes with at least these fonts. A good list is of those fonts is at CSS Web Safe Font Combinations at w3schools.com.

Steffy

Steffy - Deserved nap?

I’m sure that the magicians who have displayed their skills would say ‘what’s the big deal?’, but I have gotten the CGDA (Cute Girl Detective Agency) up and running.  It took some time and effort.  (Difficult for me, easy for others I’m sure).  I like the look and the look is due to lots of info from this Magic Shop and PM consults by the usual suspects.  Thanks everyone!

Yes, also due to past help, one can just press my signature button to get to the CGDA.

Courtney

Looks great! There will be absolutely NO napping, however, unless I'm allowed to cuddle in next to you. My boss is pretty demanding on keeping the Spellbook up-to-date, and could use a nap myself!  :P

Al Terego

Hello ladies and gentlemen, witches and warlocks!

Speaking of magic, I would like to direct some attention to the amazing Zatanna Zatara, who, aside from being unbelievably sexy, has impressive reality-alteration powers by casing her spells backwards.  After all, who wouldn't enjoy the power to make things happen simply by uttering, say,
STASAERB REGGIB
or
WON MSAGRO
?

Do not fret my friends, because thanks to the magic of BBCode you can now easily write backwards just like zatanna!

All you have to do is use the [bdo] tag (Bidirectional Text Override) to temporary change the direction of the text to right-to-left or left-to-right.  Please note that other inline other tags, such as font, size, color, etc. should go inside the bdo tag, and will not work as expected when placed inside it.

Simple example:
[bdo=rtl]you can now easily write backwards just like zatanna[/bdo]

Example with attributes:
[bdo=rtl][font=comic sans ms][size=14pt]you can now easily write backwards just like zatanna[/size][/font][/bdo]

Cheers,
-- Al

Steffy

I wake fitfully from my nap, to find that Al Terrego makes level* sense.  In a way.

Al, I award thee:

. . . and sally forth, shouting the praises of ZZ and how one spells b – r – e – a – s – t – s !

*Try Al’s trick with level I say (smile).

Jaclyn

… marvel at Al doing his backward walk across the stage ... Michael Jackson couldn't have done better! ... reach into my bag of tricks …

  “So there's some exotic text characters I've found come in handy over the years and if you watch carefully, here they are for your amazement.” #Giggle

  “First we have curly quotes, both double and single like this “” ‘’. I keep those in my snippets for when I need to speak, because curly quotes look better with nice fonts than straight quotes like these "" ''.”

  “The most mysterious of all is the spaces I use before speaking sentences like this one. These are called em spaces because they're as wide as the letter M. Here's one of them “ ” and here's two “  ” like I use at the beginning of my talky sentences. There's also en spaces and those aren't as wide. Here's one way to use those to get a nice look for centered text.with a longer line, here two of the em spaces at each end of the line.”

  Centered Underlined Text  

  “Fractions come in handy. There's ¼, ½, and ¾. My heels are 4½ inches high today, just so you know. And you can find other fractions around if you look in the right places.”

  “Now here's a really mysterious one, an overstrike or overline character. I use a bunch of these at the bottom of my character pictures up left there. Here's four ‾‾‾‾ of those for your amazement. And here's four of them underlined ‾‾‾‾.”

  “And finally, did you ever ask rhetorical question‽ That there punctuating the previous sentence is called an interrobang, punctuation to use for a question that's really more a statement for effect than a question. Not all fonts have the interrobang but this Georgia font I use does and it's cute too! Got it‽ Here's a big one to gape at.”

  “One place to marvel at all these and many more exotic characters – present company included – is to visit the Unicode Consortium.”