Mass Effect 3!! (Warning. Spoilers inside!)

Started by Wyrd, January 13, 2011, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmdrRenegade

You're in luck.  There aren't all that many yet.  They all cover background detail so if you've played both games, you won't have to worry about spoilers. 

Ascension (features Liara and shows what happened after the opening act of ME2) has already run its course and you can pick up in one trade paperback spanning all 4 issues.  Evolution (the origin of the Illusive Man) has only just started.  Inquisition (starring ME2's Captain Bailey) can be found here.  http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm You'll be done with it in a few minutes.  Incursion (starring Aria and taking place before ME2) can be found here under References http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-10-25-masseffect25_ST_N.htm You'll also be finished quickly with it. 

If you wanted to, you could gather all this stuff together and read all of it start to finish in under 2 hours.  Bioware is keeping things very tightly controlled, at least for now.  I
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 22, 2011, 07:24:10 AM
Exactly how I felt. It really felt like the Star Wars of my generation, so to speak.
Well, I've never read any Star Wars books from the "expanded universe" or whatever it's called. The only one I ever read (and that's because I found it in the bleachers of the gym whilst I was in high school) was the book adaptation of Revenge of the Sith.

I've played video games based on Star Wars but if it's not the movies I'm not one to care. Same with Mass Effect but in reverse. Cross-media is a great way to make money, just don't expect me to give a care or consider it a meaningful pursuit of my Mass Effect experience.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 22, 2011, 08:18:53 PM
Well, I've never read any Star Wars books from the "expanded universe" or whatever it's called. The only one I ever read (and that's because I found it in the bleachers of the gym whilst I was in high school) was the book adaptation of Revenge of the Sith.

I've played video games based on Star Wars but if it's not the movies I'm not one to care. Same with Mass Effect but in reverse. Cross-media is a great way to make money, just don't expect me to give a care or consider it a meaningful pursuit of my Mass Effect experience.

I can see your point. All the extra stuff outside the game is not for everyone, and I can see how it likes like a money scam. But If that means enjoying the novels as much as I did is wrong then I don't care to be right. lol!
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

I had issue 1 of Redemption (came with the special edition of the game) and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it get's better, but it was like a 14 year olds fan fiction to me.

I know that Liara later turns into a cold, resourceful bad ass, but it just doesn't sit well with me seeing her be a one-liner spouting, glowering dumb action hero.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 01:11:34 AM
I had issue 1 of Redemption (came with the special edition of the game) and wasn't too impressed. Maybe it get's better, but it was like a 14 year olds fan fiction to me.

I know that Liara later turns into a cold, resourceful bad ass, but it just doesn't sit well with me seeing her be a one-liner spouting, glowering dumb action hero.
Well, this might come as a shocker to people, but I never really liked Liara.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 05:10:38 PM
Well, this might come as a shocker to people, but I never really liked Liara.

As she was in Mass Effect 2, or Redemption? Very different.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
As she was in Mass Effect 2, or Redemption? Very different.
As she was in Mass Effect.

Sabby

Mass Effect 1. Timid, unsocial, over analysed as a nervous habit.

Mass Effect 2. Cold, deadly, resourceful, driven by personal events she keeps secret, brokers in information to gain the power she needs.

Redemption is the in between and is supposed to tell us what happened that made her this way. Like I said, only saw 1 of 4, but it didn't help me see a transition, it showed me Duke Nukem with tits and blue skin.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 23, 2011, 05:36:24 PM
Mass Effect 1. Timid, unsocial, over analysed as a nervous habit.

Mass Effect 2. Cold, deadly, resourceful, driven by personal events she keeps secret, brokers in information to gain the power she needs.

Redemption is the in between and is supposed to tell us what happened that made her this way. Like I said, only saw 1 of 4, but it didn't help me see a transition, it showed me Duke Nukem with tits and blue skin.
I don't like Liara. I think Jenkins had more potential for solid character than Liara. :\

CmdrRenegade

It kind of bothered me that Jenkins got a character sheet and didn't even get to so much as fire his gun once before he died.  At least Trask Ulgo (the dude from KotOR) got to do some stuff before dying. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wyrd

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 06:56:04 PM
It kind of bothered me that Jenkins got a character sheet and didn't even get to so much as fire his gun once before he died.  At least Trask Ulgo (the dude from KotOR) got to do some stuff before dying.

Lol! and At least Trask had a heroic death. When Jenkins got Zipped a laughed my ass off.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I used to like Liara. Mass Effect 2 changed that. I don't care for her new personality at all. But it's cool, because the game gave me a new favorite character in Tali.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:11:24 PM
I used to like Liara. Mass Effect 2 changed that. I don't care for her new personality at all. But it's cool, because the game gave me a new favorite character in Tali.
That's because Liara's not that great of a character. For an entity that lives what 1000 years she shouldn't change personalities so drastically in two. Especially over nothing that's not fully explained in game or even Shepard related.

Here's the meeting: "Well no one really liked Liara unless it was to sleep with her blue self. So we're going to reinvent her as a cold-blooded badass."

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:19:48 PM
That's because Liara's not that great of a character. For an entity that lives what 1000 years she shouldn't change personalities so drastically in two. Especially over nothing that's not fully explained in game or even Shepard related.

Here's the meeting: "Well no one really liked Liara unless it was to sleep with her blue self. So we're going to reinvent her as a cold-blooded badass."

I agree, the change was very dramatic. It might be justifiable, given all the circumstances, so it doesn't really bother me that much ... but I just don't like her. Maybe if her personality in Mass Effect 3 ends up as some sort of hybrid of the two. But ... yeah.

I actually liked the old Liara, though.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:26:45 PM
I agree, the change was very dramatic. It might be justifiable, given all the circumstances, so it doesn't really bother me that much ... but I just don't like her. Maybe if her personality in Mass Effect 3 ends up as some sort of hybrid of the two. But ... yeah.

I actually liked the old Liara, though.
Yeah, don't hold your breath. Maybe it's bias but I liked Ashley's romance plot better. (Until Tali's came around of course. Though that was partially because I wanted a peek behind the mask.)

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 07:48:53 PM
Yeah, don't hold your breath. Maybe it's bias but I liked Ashley's romance plot better. (Until Tali's came around of course. Though that was partially because I wanted a peek behind the mask.)

Oh, I won't mind. I didn't really care for Ashley, either. She's a racist!

Funny thing is, I didn't really care for Tali in the first game. Seeing her again in the first mission of Mass Effect 2 sort of changed that, though. It was like seeing an old friend again. Then listening to the recordings on Haestrom, rescuing her, all that ... well, I like her, a lot. My favorite character, easily. Probably the most well-developed, too. Including having the most well-developed romance.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:53:52 PM

Funny thing is, I didn't really care for Tali in the first game. Seeing her again in the first mission of Mass Effect 2 sort of changed that, though. It was like seeing an old friend again. Then listening to the recordings on Haestrom, rescuing her, all that ... well, I like her, a lot. My favorite character, easily. Probably the most well-developed, too. Including having the most well-developed romance.
I did like Jack's though. It was actually deep if you could get past the swearing.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 07:00:06 PM
Lol! and At least Trask had a heroic death. When Jenkins got Zipped a laughed my ass off.
Agreed.  He actually inspired a lot of emotion for a minor NPC and that's saying something.  Unfortunately, it seems they ran out of time on the development scale with the characters in the first game.  The only development was through conversation and the 3 very limited loyalty quests.  It makes me wonder what role, if any, they'll have in ME 3. 

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 07:53:52 PM

Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as a LI so I won't comment about what hers is like.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 08:38:17 PM
Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as a LI so I won't comment about what hers is like.
Miranda's is pretty average. I only really liked her for her accent and her... obvious other asset.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:35:00 PM
I did like Jack's though. It was actually deep if you could get past the swearing.

I like Jack. Jack is easily my favorite biotic in ME2. I should probably use her more. I just really like having two people I know covering my back. It screws me up as far as biotic abilities go, but Garrus and Tali make short work of synthetics, at least!

Speaking of favorite characters, I despise Samara. Not just because I find her uninteresting and sort of ugly, but on a philosophical level. I don't really see how you can apply standard Paragon/Renegade responses to the stuff she does, because even when the things she do are arguably good, they're still horribly extreme and reprehensible.

Quote from: Wyrd on January 23, 2011, 08:38:17 PM
Tali is a little to much of a Shepard fan girl for me ever to take her serious as a LI for ME2. Even when you don't give her the Geth data for her pilgrimage in ME1 and she gets pissed off you, she somehow just forgets all that and goes all. "I want you Shepard and nothing else!! Shepard! Shepard! Shepard!" I found her Romance to be more of a "Here you go" for all the people that wanted to do her in ME1. At least with Jack you can see some clear and huge character break through. I never had Miranda as an LI so I wan't comment about what hers is like.

I guess it made more sense to me, since she never hated me in the first place. I won't go into the details of why exactly I find the Tali romance so believable, as obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But so am I, and I think yours is wrong. ;D

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 23, 2011, 08:43:47 PM
Miranda's is pretty average. I only really liked her for her accent and her... obvious other asset.

DAT ASS!

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 23, 2011, 08:46:04 PM
I like Jack. Jack is easily my favorite biotic in ME2. I should probably use her more. I just really like having two people I know covering my back. It screws me up as far as biotic abilities go, but Garrus and Tali make short work of synthetics, at least!

Speaking of favorite characters, I despise Samara. Not just because I find her uninteresting and sort of ugly, but on a philosophical level. I don't really see how you can apply standard Paragon/Renegade responses to the stuff she does, because even when the things she do are arguably good, they're still horribly extreme and reprehensible.

I guess it made more sense to me, since she never hated me in the first place. I won't go into the details of why exactly I find the Tali romance so believable, as obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But so am I, and I think yours is wrong. ;D

Some defense. But you are right. I'm still not gonna have any respect for turning tali into a Shepard fan girl.Though, With the excepting fro her laughable romance, she had amazing character development and emotion on the other missions that involved her. Still, No matter how bad you treated her in ME 1, she still rubs her self to Shepard's face at night :P. Garrus is my favorite character, but when I try to have a friend to friend conversation with him Male shep, it always leads to "Oh, I don't swing that way, Shepard." I with there was an option that let Shep say something like, "Get over your self, I thought you were a friend." But no, everything had to be about sex with most of the squad members, so a lot of interaction was clouded be this.

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
DAT ASS!

Haha!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 23, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
DAT ASS!
They know it too. Look how many shots they stick in there! So does her black suit or the white one look better?

CmdrRenegade

I glad that with the Lair of the Shadow Broker, I can end things with Liara because I never really liked how it turned out.  My Renegade Shepard, believe or not, liked her better as the introverted but sweet bookworm.  Although I find Tali to be an interesting and well-developed character, I've never considered he for an LI.  The only thing I found sexy about Tali was her accent.  Jack is just too plain psychotic for my taste.  There's definite depth to her character, but it takes too long to get past all of it.  My Renegade Shepard this go round is going to amicably end things with Liara and shack up with Miranda most likely.