Let's talk a little bit about oppressive legacy.

Started by Steampunkette, October 13, 2014, 02:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephiral

Quote from: Valthazar on November 16, 2014, 06:13:06 PM
There are many poor white folks too (and not just the ones in Appalachia). 

The problem is, many of these poor white people aren't considered to be poor because their incomes suggest a different story.  When you factor in car payments, student loans, credit cards, and more, you'll see that poverty is far more common than we think.  Many seemingly "middle class" people with iPhones are literally one broken car transmission away from being on the street.  76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.
Is... is this intended to be a response to what I said? Because... it isn't. The existence of poor white people has absolutely no bearing on the targeting of people for less favourable terms in housing or finance based on their skin colour.

Sethala

Quote from: Ephiral on November 16, 2014, 10:31:03 AM
All right, thanks for the explanation. Still don't think I agree, though - as an offhand example, redlining is still a thing.

Fair enough, there's probably a mix of factors in here that, to be honest, I never really had the interest to learn about.  I agree that redlining is wrong (although if a district has a history of bad credit, I can understand not wanting to give loans to people from that district, but giving loans to white people but not black people from the same district is still wrong), and that making laws to make it illegal and enforcing those laws when possible is necessary.  Granted, considering how much other crap banks get away with nowadays might make racism in loans a fairly low priority by comparison, but that's a wholly different discussion.