Marvel Comics in Film: What Might the Future Hold?

Started by Mathim, June 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

Quote from: Oniya on June 30, 2013, 10:59:43 AM
I know this is DC and not Marvel, (and I know they've already done the one with Hal Jordan), but what if they were to do a Green Lantern movie with the JLU incarnation?  Perfectly in-canon, and a well known hero (so it's not just 'Hey, let's find a black superhero to film').
Interesting you mention that.  I was actually really hoping, when I heard about the Green Lantern movie, that they were going to choose a black man for the role. I think it was a real opportunity for them and they let it slip by.

Not to harp on the Runaways again but it's an excellent choice for a movie that includes diversity. There is a lesbian relationship in the group, there are people from Mexican, Japanese, and African American backgrounds. The story line focuses on a more realistic approach to super heroism - people die, people struggle with the emotional toll in a realistic fashion. Plus it's a movie about teenagers struggling with authority figures, being misunderstood, and trying to grow up. I really feel like the story would speak to a large audience from the teens to early 20's of both genders and many ethnicities.

WildCat

Quote from: Vorian on June 29, 2013, 04:57:53 AM
Never liked Namor in any role, personally. I'd rather see a good adaptation of Aquaman.
I tend to agree. Namor just... bleh.

Now Aquaman--the mental image a lot of us have is awfully lame. But (for me at least) that's primarily born of my knowing him best from the superfriends' painful presentation of him. The actual character has a lot of potential for redeeming the image. (Of course, I never really watched Smallvile, perhaps that process is all ready underway?)

I wouldn't push Runaways simply because of the diversity. I'd push it because Runaways was a fabulous story.
ONS and OFFS: Make Wildcat purr
Absence: Where's the cheshire Cat?

Don't want to lose track of crossrealms and my room

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: WildCat on June 30, 2013, 03:23:02 PM
I wouldn't push Runaways simply because of the diversity. I'd push it because Runaways was a fabulous story.

+1
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Vorian

Quote from: WildCat on June 30, 2013, 03:23:02 PM
I tend to agree. Namor just... bleh.

Now Aquaman--the mental image a lot of us have is awfully lame. But (for me at least) that's primarily born of my knowing him best from the superfriends' painful presentation of him. The actual character has a lot of potential for redeeming the image. (Of course, I never really watched Smallvile, perhaps that process is all ready underway?)

Smallville Aquaman came across as a more mentally stable Namor to me, and only got a couple episodes in the spotlight and no origin story. Worked in terms of being a viable ally or opponent for Clark, but still not really a great example.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Chris Brady

The issue with Aquaman is that every one is fixated on someone joke of his ability to 'talk' to fish.  But that's not what he does.  He CONTROLS any fish-like creature, including SHARKS, among other nasties, and he doesn't talk to them, he tells them what to do.

Out of the water, he's superstrong, fast and tough, maybe no where near Superman's level, but he's got combat training to back it up.

But everyone likes a funny, and relegate him to a joke character.  The King of DC's Atlantis a joke.  :P  How the mighty have fallen.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on June 30, 2013, 11:39:10 PM
The issue with Aquaman is that every one is fixated on someone joke of his ability to 'talk' to fish.  But that's not what he does.  He CONTROLS any fish-like creature, including SHARKS, among other nasties, and he doesn't talk to them, he tells them what to do.

Out of the water, he's superstrong, fast and tough, maybe no where near Superman's level, but he's got combat training to back it up.

But everyone likes a funny, and relegate him to a joke character.  The King of DC's Atlantis a joke.  :P  How the mighty have fallen.
Batman the Brave and the Bold made me love Aquaman again. I kind of like the bombastic nature. It was certainly better for me when they tried to make him all grimdark and serious. Long flowing power mullet or something. :\

On a Marvel Note though, what about a Black Panther movie? Seeing as his nation is kind of important the Marvel universe as a whole. It's too bad Denzel  is kind of getting up there, I think he'd bee good, and honestly before he picked up Rhody I would have said Don Cheadle (I know I'm probably not spelling that right, but it's early in the morning for me).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Personally, I feel that when superhero titles have multiple bearers (Green Lantern being the perfect example) I feel the films ought to pass the torch from film to film. So if Hal Jordan was in the first, I wouldn't mind Kyle Rayner being in GL2 and then, in the movie closest to Justice League (fat chance, frankly, despite all their big talk), John Stewart could pick up the ring. That way it happens organically. Anyway, enough about DC.

I'd like to know if Black Panther could adequately fall into the MCU continuity or if he'd have to be a stand-alone character. How does he match up with, say, Captain America in terms of superhuman ability? Anyone short of that probably ought to steer clear of the likes of Thanos, is what I'm getting at. The Avengers will have to keep upping the ante and they need heroes who can keep up with that pace.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Vorian

My understanding is he's on around the same level as Captain America, but I haven't seen much of him. Going up against Thanos, though? I don't know, they really need people more in line with Thor and the Hulk ...
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Chris Brady

The Black Panther is very similar to Captain America, in that he's peak or near peak human physical, using some sort of special chemical concoction.  I agree that he would be a good character to have a movie about, his entire nation has been the plot of several comic arcs.  His original reason of joining the Avengers was to make sure if he could handle them as enemies.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Vorian on July 01, 2013, 10:04:19 AM
My understanding is he's on around the same level as Captain America, but I haven't seen much of him. Going up against Thanos, though? I don't know, they really need people more in line with Thor and the Hulk ...
It doesn't actually matter who goes up against Thanos... he's kind of going to lose... and that's not invoking any tropes or anything... that's his weakness. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Thanos' weakness is that he wants to die, but can't.  He's in love with Marvel's incarnation of Death, and she doesn't want him.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 01, 2013, 10:25:23 AM
Thanos' weakness is that he wants to die, but can't.  He's in love with Marvel's incarnation of Death, and she doesn't want him.
I thought it was that he subconsciously sets himself up to lose.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19434_the-6-most-ridiculous-superhero-weaknesses_p2.html

Second one down right past Power Girl's weakness to all-natural materials. It should link to the second page, but if it's not then page two.

Regardless of the later comics where he wants to to die, date death however you want to phrase it, he still wants to fail so someone will put him down, so if there ever appears a worthy threat he'll make sure he'll lose just so they get the chance to kill him. Ultimately he's going to lose every time. :\

He's weird. I think they picked him because he's a big threat, I mean he's willing to kill half of existence in the meantime, but he's ultimately going to set up his own downfall, the tricky part is getting him all nice and defeated before he can kill a bunch of people. :\

Mathim

Wow. I wonder how that's going to play out in the Avengers 2 then.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Spell

I want....a movie...with taskmaster in it.... *Sighs and dreams* ._.
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Chris Brady

Quote from: Spell on July 02, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
I want....a movie...with taskmaster in it.... *Sighs and dreams* ._.
Me too...

Moraline

Moon Knight. That would rock! Although it would not be a children's movie at all. It would be a cross between a horror movie about a person who's going completely insane and violent, as well as an action revenge flick.   ... And I know it would totally go against the true Marvel story line to do it but I'd love to see it done with a female lead, portraying the role of Moon Knight.

Oniya

And then there's always Magik (Illyana Rasputina, Colossus's little sister). 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

Quote from: Oniya on July 02, 2013, 01:41:58 PM
I used to luv her! Totally forgot about her. I didn't know she had her own comic though? I just remember reading about her in old X-Men comics. Isn't she dead?

Oniya

Dead?  You're never dead in comics until they try to bring you back and fail.  And even then, there are exceptions.  ::)

There's at least one storyline where she's still around - and even if she isn't, you can have the 'tragic ending'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magik_%28comics%29
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moraline

You're right and a tragic ending would be very cool. A Magik movie would be a good X-Men crossover movie and a great way to introduce Colossus as a more prominent figure in a new X-Men movie.

Plus I'd love to see some X-23, another great X-Men tie in movie.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on July 02, 2013, 01:37:08 PM
Moon Knight. That would rock! Although it would not be a children's movie at all. It would be a cross between a horror movie about a person who's going completely insane and violent, as well as an action revenge flick.   ... And I know it would totally go against the true Marvel story line to do it but I'd love to see it done with a female lead, portraying the role of Moon Knight.
Two things, first purists would flip like ninja at the idea of a 'Female' Moon Knight, and two, a revenge driven female lead never sells.  They haven't sold well enough yet.  The only things holding that idea back.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 02, 2013, 01:41:58 PM
Is she more commonly associated with the X-Men or the Avengers?

That's how the film-rights debate is going to swing. See Fox can make all the X-Men movies they want with just Wolverine because Wolverine is most commonly associated with the X-Men.

What about Silver Sable or Spider-Woman?

ShadowFox89

Giving the rights to your characters to another company is probably the stupidest thing you can do....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on July 02, 2013, 02:28:14 PM
Giving the rights to your characters to another company is probably the stupidest thing you can do....
Yeah, but until Marvel had its own studio what can you do? They're just film right and you have to prove that you're doing something with them these days. Companies just can't sit on them. That's how Marvel got the Hulk back after the Ang Lee movie. :\

Mathim

Quote from: Moraline on July 02, 2013, 02:10:27 PM
You're right and a tragic ending would be very cool. A Magik movie would be a good X-Men crossover movie and a great way to introduce Colossus as a more prominent figure in a new X-Men movie.

Plus I'd love to see some X-23, another great X-Men tie in movie.

I think the perfect opportunity for that would have been in the upcoming The Wolverine movie, and also Daken, Wolverine's bastard son. Imagine the three of them taking on the bad guys together. The perfect ending to satisfy us that there is absolutely no way Wolverine will ever lead another X-Men themed film.