Idea -- Colony

Started by shadowheart, November 18, 2005, 10:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowheart

This is an idea I have for an alternate history RP, and putting it up here to see if there's any interest.

The RP starts in 1566, wth a small band of intrepid English colonists arriving at Manhattan Island (40 years ahead of the Dutch) and establishing a colony.

Characters could be various English colonists (soldiers, fur trappers, farmers, etc) or Algonquin natives (Canarsies (historically the Dutch 'purchased' Manhattan from them, even though they had no claim to the island), Weckquaesgeeks (proper residents of Manhattan itself, who were slowly battled into submission by the Dutch), or other natives here to trade or raid).

I'd likely want to use a system (RISUS, GURPS, or the like) to resolve (the inevitable) conflicts that would occur in an RP of this sort, but it would primarily be free-form, GMed by myself.

Any interest or suggestions?

Natalie C. Barney

If you use Risus I'm in. I would play a Berdache or a Native American person that wears clothes of the other gender and marry someone of the same sex, most tended to be medicine people although there were women who trained as warrior in some cultures in North America. Might be fun among the Indians she's likely going to be highly respected as closs to the Spirits and the English will be just confused. lol

I don't have Gurps I'd rather use an easy rules system.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

shadowheart

Well, from what I've seen already in The Other Side of Rome, Risus is a good, simple, flexible system. 

So, that's workable.  :)

Natalie C. Barney

I found a site called 20,000 names something or other with Native American names and chose a nice Algonquin one NUTTAH it means "my heart" thats nice. If we use Risus I'll likely take for cliche's:

Woman Berdache [Strong Medicine, Respected by Her People, Beautiful] "the term is French for them by the way"

Skilled Algonquin Man [Hunting, Use Indian Weapons, Hand Signals] *would have been raised as a man*

Touched by the Great Spirit [Gifted Healer, Has Visions, Knows Folklore of the Algonquin People]

I picture her sort of a hunter/warrior with strong mystical aspects that would be unusual in a good way and highly respected even if fairly young. Likely has no wife yet. Would do the normal manly things hunt for food and furs to trade, be in war parties and sit at war councils but be a holy woman as well. She would dress as a man so likely topless with a medicine bag and other items of a mystical nature with a bow and war club. I figured she might be the assistant to the Medicine Man or some other respected place for a young woman of her nature. Likely she started dressing as a boy at a young age and her people just raised her accordingly, no stigma or ill views of her. In fact becoming a spiritual person was likley to be expected.
Natalie Clifford Barney

shadowheart

Wow, great character Natalie!

OK, lets get s'more interest drummed up then!

English?  More Algonquin?

Not sure how many I need to petition for a new forum, but am quite interested now in running this RP....

Natalie C. Barney

Here's what a basic Risus RPG character would look like:

Nuttah "means my heart in Algonquin"

Description: Nuttah is a beautiful Algonquin Indian with two long braids in her hair which is dark brown, her large expressive eyes are also a matching dark brown, her skin a soft light brown and wears a one piece long dress and various items of a spiritual nature with mocasins or if cold mukluk (boots) with suitable covers as the weather dictates. Is 16 year old.

Cliches': Berdache of the Algonquin People [Blessed by the Spirits, Do Women's Work, Homosexual, Special Place in Algonquin Society] (4); Medicine Woman [Granted Visions from the Spirits, Heal with Native Medicines, Perform Sacred Rites, Totem Spirit is the Owl] (4); Studied at a Dutch Mission School [Educated in the Ways of the Whites, Literate and Speaks Major White Man Languages of the Regions Traders *Dutch, English, French*, Understands Trading with the White Man] (4).

Hook: Is the Chiefs translator and the person that helps with the white people being educated in their way somewhat.

Tale: to be done later

I did some more research most Berdache that were women were very often spiritual leaders often holy people. They often took a wife and was provided for by the village they were with with a portion of the hunting and the like. Were often seen as specially blessed by the Spirits. So made her historically accurate. She would be allowed her own home and a wife. I made her educated at a Christina Missionary School run by the Dutch so would have maybe a 6th grade education plus exposure to languages likely with the blessing of her people. So would be an important asset to her leaders.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Faolan

I don't have a lot of time right at the very moment to put into it, but this sounds interesting. I'll let character ideas percolate in my head for a bit.