Writing Generational Stories (Pregnancy and Rearing Children) within Site Rules

Started by Twisted Crow, July 28, 2017, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

I am thinking on a group game that is likely to tell a story over more than one generation (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, for example). How might one do this while complying with the rules... and without being lame/lazy about the writing?

I.e. "King and Queen Waterdam conceive a child. But we aren't going to see them, or even talk about raising our child. They just won't exist or even be mentioned for 16 years. Then all of a sudden, we act like we've always been great parents this whole time in spite of all that neglect!"  ::)

I understand it's important to not include characters under 16 in scenes that deal with adult matters, but I would like to know of creative ways to prevent characters from looking like the worst parents imaginable. Or if that's even possible. To conform with site rules, I could easily make the characters in this game/story "come of age" at 16. But what about in the meantime? As I understand it, characters below the age requirement can't make any sort of appearance... and possibly can't even be mentioned. Do I have that right?

Ex. Away from Home in an Encampment somewhere:

General: "Your majesty, the young master is doing well academically. And he won an archery competition in the city recently!"

King: "Ah, good. I am rather proud of that boy. He has grown fast. It won't be long before he finally becomes a man."

I am looking for ways to think outside the box on how one can write little things that indicate that a character is being a mother or father without outright breaking the rule. Or the rule, as I understand it, anyway. Help? Advice? :-)

Twisted Crow

I also realize this might better suit the Writing forum, if one so chooses to move it there. My apologies, if it needs moving.

RedRose

Why can't they be around, just out of the bedroom and battlefield?
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

RampantDesires

My understanding of the rules is as long as you don't use images for them and they are never involved in or around sexual content you can have children as supporting characters.

So in a group setting you could maybe have a thread set aside for that where everyone knows NO adult stuff will occur (and that you as a GM might police a bit more strongly to make sure it is followed) but you can focus on the parental character building moments.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

The Dark Raven

I've had 1v1 stories with kids in them.  They just aren't around during the "adult" scenes.  Also, if you like doing character pics, you can't have them for the kids.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nico

Quote from: The Dark Raven on July 28, 2017, 11:54:36 AM
I've had 1v1 stories with kids in them.  They just aren't around during the "adult" scenes.  Also, if you like doing character pics, you can't have them for the kids.
Same here. In one of my 1x1's, there are kids as NPCs.

Twisted Crow

I imagined that "asking the wife/nanny/whatever" how the kids were doing would probably be okay. I was more so wondering if it were okay if they can come in, talk about the A on their report card, get a pat on the head and exit stage left. They wouldn't be fully-fledged characters (able to fight/drink/do bedroom things) until they come of age (within site rules). I didn't want to presume.

But yeah, they would theoretically be just part of the adult character's life and exposition until the time came. :-)

Not doing anything with this yet until I know what is acceptible and what isn't. And I have to be clear, as you say, about what and where these temporary supports can be used. I also was curious because I never felt comfortable writing stories with pregnancy for this reason. I always wonder... "What do I do then?" :D

Oh and yeah, I should make it clear that pictures aren't allowed for them until they come of age. That is also good to mention.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Dallas on July 28, 2017, 12:01:39 PM
I was more so wondering if it were okay if they can come in, talk about the A on their report card, get a pat on the head and exit stage left. They wouldn't be fully-fledged characters (able to fight/drink/do bedroom things) until they come of age (within site rules). I didn't want to presume.

Yes. Underage characters can appear & do whatever kiddy thing is appropriate so long as they 1) never engage in sexual activity & 2) are never in a scene where sexual activity occurs, even if they're not involved in it.

Twisted Crow

Ah, okay. So if their parents are about to "get busy"... kid must be off the stage. That works. Thanks for clearing this up and for all of the input, everyone!

When I do organize this, I might bug one of you Oracles for another set of eyes. Just to be sure this thing complies with the rules once it's ready. :-)

Avis habilis

RedRose

Quote from: Dallas on July 28, 2017, 12:41:25 PM
Ah, okay. So if their parents are about to "get busy"... kid must be off the stage.

Yup, basically like IRL. I've had RPs where one or several characters had kid(s), and/or young siblings. Totally doable.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]