Private message issues?

Started by Brandon, January 18, 2006, 08:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Its come to my attention that a few people are having Private message issues like not getting sent messages. Im wondering if there might have changed and forced us to do something wrong or if theres a new bug around Elliquiy?

and another smaller issue. They normally do a very good job but Im noticing that its taking a very long time for Gods/godesses to get around to things. For instance it was a week or 2 for the Mod status of Love mansion to get trasfered to its new GM, and the wolf and thistle still hasnt been put into the archives. I think many are just caught up in RL (I know Cindy is gone a lot due to RL issues), that said maybe its time to make another god/godess thats on a lot.  Just a suggestion though
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Lilac

Regarding 1, the PM database is getting rather large, hmm ;_;

I do know that people miss PMs a lot, despite getting them.  I know I do.

Akioth

If the PM database getting large is a problem perhaps you might want to make a Statement to delete them. Tell people to save the ones they need withing say a week or two and than you can just wipe the database *Shrug*
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Lilac

Quote from: Akioth on January 19, 2006, 03:46:01 PM
If the PM database getting large is a problem perhaps you might want to make a Statement to delete them. Tell people to save the ones they need withing say a week or two and than you can just wipe the database *Shrug*

Usually, it's either their tenth PM and they got an 11th, or they need to log out and log back in.  This happenned much earlier in the site's history, too.

Brandon

So, if I understand this it should be just a temporary thing which effects a very few PMs sent. Thus if we resend them they should go through?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Elvi

I don't seem to miss PM's the infuriating one is when a "reply to your last post" isn't listed.

But I think that it's the volume of things wandering through thats the problem, everything is going to hiccup now and then.

On Akioth's point.
I agree with the wiping of personal PM's though given the nature of the site, would prefer if a record was kept somewhere centrally.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Lilac

GuardianAngel: If you log off and relog in on occasion, that should fix things.  I have a few hundred PMs, but I know some people (ahem) have thousands.

Quote from: Elvi on January 20, 2006, 10:45:49 AM
I don't seem to miss PM's the infuriating one is when a "reply to your last post" isn't listed.

But I think that it's the volume of things wandering through thats the problem, everything is going to hiccup now and then.

On Akioth's point.
I agree with the wiping of personal PM's though given the nature of the site, would prefer if a record was kept somewhere centrally.

When you are one of the newer members and have more posts to your name than most -forums- do... ^_^

The database gets backed up each morning, but I don't download it very often.  Perhaps I should do so more often >_>

Elvi

*looks around her*
Nope Lilac couldn't be talking about me......
*grins*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Hannibal

Quote from: Lilac on January 20, 2006, 12:33:08 PM
GuardianAngel: If you log off and relog in on occasion, that should fix things.  I have a few hundred PMs, but I know some people (ahem) have thousands.

What about limiting the maximum number of PMs each member can have. The oldest gets deleted when you go over the maximum. That forces members to be more organised about their PMs and delete the ones that they do not need to keep. The only problem is that unethical members can force another member's PMs to be deleted by sending them a stack of PMs at once. I imagine the threat of banning such members would keep it under control.

A refinement to that is an archiving feature. Allow members to archive PMs. You then have two databases of PMs: The core PM database that is queried whenever a member accesses the PMs. It can be kept lean and mean with a maximum limit per member. Then all other PMs are on the archive database that is only queried when someone selects the option to look at their archives. As most people are only checking recent PMs the lean and mean core db will be good for most situations. However, the archive of all their messages are there is someone needs to go back and check something.

I don't know how feasible these suggestions are, but I hope they might be useful.
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

Brandon

Quote from: Lilac on January 20, 2006, 12:33:08 PM

Its not my fault Im popular *innocent look*

Alright, Ill put the relogging solution into the newbie guide when I get a chance and hopefully that will fix things for myself and other members. If it does not maybe we should prune the PM area. Is there any other advice you can give on this issue?

Edit: Ok added yoru solution to the Newbie guide

ZK

Heh, I could be a Goddess if anyone wanted. Since it'd be suitable for me since my roleplaying days seem to be numbered. X.X
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Lilac

Quote from: Hannibal on January 20, 2006, 12:54:51 PM
What about limiting the maximum number of PMs each member can have. The oldest gets deleted when you go over the maximum. That forces members to be more organised about their PMs and delete the ones that they do not need to keep. The only problem is that unethical members can force another member's PMs to be deleted by sending them a stack of PMs at once. I imagine the threat of banning such members would keep it under control.

The problem is it err, doesn't work >_>

This has been going on since May, it's not merely a problem with the volume of PMs.