Laptop Battery charge issue.

Started by wander, August 02, 2018, 03:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Weird one, I noticed earlier my battery indicator light on my ASUS laptop was blinking from green (fully charged) to orange (charging) rapidly. Had 94% not charging on the battery icon. Never did that before, so decided to check on google what's up with that. Seems like potentially my battery has stopped being able to be charged?

I tried the advice there to restart and hold the power button, no dice or change. I was super worried my laptop wouldn't work with my adaptor alone, luckily it is though atm I've removed my battery. Going to try when I next to switch on to slip it back in and see if things will go back to normal.

Anyone have experience with laptop battery issues?

I can get a replacement I guess if I need to, I'm more worried that my battery will be unable to charge and my AC Adaptor alone may stop giving power to my laptop, effectively leaving me bricked.

There was no cause for this to happen, no pushing my computer to overheat or push power resources. Any sort of advice or tips for this would be great as google was less than helpful.

AmberStarfire

I haven't had an Asus laptop before, but I've heard leaving the battery in and running it plugged into the power can cause the battery to charge up to lower levels/wear out the battery more rapidly.

If it's like most laptops, you ought to be able to run it by plugging it into the power even without a battery.

How long does it normally run off battery power alone? I've never had one flick back and forth between charged and charging, but it sounds like your battery might need replacing. If you bought it from a store, they might be able to try a different battery or adapter with it to see if it solves the problem.

wander

Yeah, I've likely just burned the battery out. I've had the laptop for a while and would run from the mains more often than not.

It is working fine atm just using the adaptor (I've removed the battery for now to not mess it up further if that's what I've done), just worried that'll be next to go. ^^'

The indicator in the task bar said it wasn't charging, though the light usually is supposed to flicker like that at less than 10% charge, which is why I noticed and thought it strange to do that (also batt was supposed to be at 94% too).

The adaptor is working, at least to power the computer, so more than likely the battery is knackering out and unable to charge properly.

midnightblack

I have the same issue on a rather old laptop (bought in 2012) popping up every now and then. I understand it can be related to all sorts of issues, but for whatever reason, for me it reverts to normal if I remove the battery and connect it again (with the machine turned off).
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

wander

So I did that (removed the battery and reconnected it, then switched it back on again) and the light issue has solved itself (for now), though whilst the laptop is telling me it is now charging my battery, it doesn't seem to have raised the percentage any.

So I'll keep an eye on it. As long as the AC Adaptor keeps working, all should be fine (I actually had to replace the adaptor once before).

I did see mention in another computer forum to uninstall the battery then re-insert it and redownload the drivers, though I don't really want to screw with my laptop's hardware and drivers like that.

For now though all is okay as can be.

Mellific

Just wanted to post here again in case others were looking at this and have an Asus laptop that is really complicated to remove the battery from (like me).

So, my battery light has been flashing green and orange for months and I noticed it also says 'plugged in, not charging' in the lower right corner where the battery icon is. I looked up some articles about what to do and one of the options worked for me!

I unplugged the power cord, then held down the power button for 15 seconds. After that, I let my laptop sit for 1-2 minutes and then hit the power button again. Once it powered on, the flashing light stopped, and it is now a solid green light. AND, it says 'plugged in, charging' now!

I'm hoping this resolved the issue for a while, and thankful I didn't have to go through the hassle of removing the battery. Just figured I'd share in case others have this issue too!

O/O | A/A | MM