Gotham Beyond [Game Started] [Spots Still Available!]

Started by Le Immortelle, November 28, 2010, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Immortelle

The year is 2052. Gotham City. The crime capital of the world. If somebody had even thought about crime, let alone doing an actual crime. few decades ago they would've had their bones broken by the Batman. The Gotham City police department has become a heaven for corrupt cops after the death of both Jim and Barbara Gordon in a shootout between the police and the notorious gang called Gotham Bluesmen when the cops bought in by the gang themselves turned on the Gordons and participated in shooting them down and then covering up the whole scene. The streets are flowing with illegal drugs and worse, illegal cybernetic implants, citizens are carrying weapons even whilst walking on the streets. The disparity amongst the citizens immense as the divide between the rich and the poor continues to grow. Bruce Wayne watches this silently from his isolation in the Wayne Manor. The city which he loved so much being torn and taken apart by the forces which were now so out of his control. He simply shut the rest of the world out after everyone he ever cared about had died. Alfred, Dick Grayson, Barbara..everyone disappeared one after another and now only he was left. His stake in his businesses sold an age back. The only companion he had was his dog Ceasar. Not a single day went by when Bruce could recall the day he quit being the Batman. It was cloudy outside right now..and dark..the rain was about explode. Just like that fateful day. He was sitting on top of a building..a drug deal was about to take place between bunch of criminals working for the Yakuza and local Mafia. Just when the process had begun Batman had jumped in. There were four goons in total and quickly they opened fire but he threw the electricity charged bat shaped shurikens at them two of them were down. Batman quickly dropped a smoke bomb and all it took was some swift kicks to knock the other two down.

He was standing over them his intense gaze looking those shivering men as they looked at him with fear. That was when something hit him from behind. It was one man who was in the warehouse all the time. The sudden strike with baseball bat. Batman turned around as goon raised his bat again with a snicker but grabbed his arm looking at him..sensing his fear. But suddenly he felt a jolt inside him. Breathing became difficult for him. His body shuddered...the grip loosening. Watching the man go weak..the criminal nailed him with a hard kick in his stomach, following it up with a flurry of punches sending Batman on the ground. "They told us stories of you when we were new in the biz..ya know? This some kind of mythical ass kicker..but all you are, is probaby some weak shit..who can only catch junky kids!" He snarled and raised his bat again but Batman was quick his hands moved and he grabbed the gun lying on the ground, firing two shots in the man's chest. He fell down in a lump as rest of them ran away. Batman stood up somehow, dragging himself behind the building. His body still shaking as he took some pills in. That night Bruce stood in the Batcave, staring at the whole past and then at his own reflection, the medication held in his hands. "Never again." He said to himself as he walked out of the cave. Shutting it out for good. The Batman was never heard of ever again.

Okay, so this is a game which me and Chrystal have been planning to run set in a Batman Beyond-esque setting involving some of the cannon characters and perhaps even OC's. The idea developed from our solo game also called Gotham Beyond which adopted the same setting. (In fact my intro post is posted from my first post in that thread itself.) We would highly recommend at least reading first 3-4 posts of the thread to get a gist of the setting. For those who are not familiar with Batman Beyond, it's a Batman basically set in cyberpunk setting and he chooses another person as his protege..with new villains and whatnot.

For the purpose of this roleplay we can have "Next-Gen" of some of the villains, along with Bruce Wayne choosing my character Donna Ross as his successor and serving as her mentor whilst her becoming the next Batwoman. Whilst Chrystal's character playing Katrina Wayne will be the next Catwoman chosen as her successor by Selina Kyle. Other villains can have their own successors and so on. For this we would expect you to bring something unique to them, some different history etc. Go crazy! For instance maybe the futuristic Poison Ivy has probably has some kind of a mutation, something unique. All we want is some originality so that the setting could be spiced up for all of us to enjoy.

Now onto the rules -

1. No god-moding.
2. If your character is absolutely inactive for 14 days the GM's can either NPC them or kill them off.
3. In case of conflicts/fights amongst the characters..the players may decide the outcome OOC or ask a GM to moderate a fight.
4. In case of GM/Player fight again, outcome may be decided OOC or GM can moderate the fight.
5. If villains do too much of bad antics or Batwoman does excessive heroic antics game ends.
6. If you have any issues/suggestions/queries do not hesitate to PM me or Chrystal.
7. Be dedicated. This is a group game and often they end up dying due to people joining and then never bothering to post. If you're going to join, make sure you'll stick around. I know RL is important and if you have any RL issues you can most definitely take a break by all means and it's perfectly understandeable.
8. Have fun. This is just for relaxation.

The spot of third GM has now been taken. Writersblockade is the third GM.

Here is the list of possible available/taken roles -

Batwoman/Donna Ross - Amazon
Catwoman/Katrina Wayne - Chrystal
Bruce Wayne - Novak
Selina Kyle (Former Catwoman) - Available - Really searching for a roleplayer for this right now!
Commission Harry McDowell - Available
Penguin - Available
Riddler - Available
Mayor of Gotham - Available
Scarecrow - Snark
Clayface - Callie del Noire
Madame Blizzard - Pendarious

I'm aware Joker isn't mentioned. He's gone an old man and disappeared from the scene. In his place is a gang of his so called disciples called Comedians. If enough interest is generated, we can have the gang as well. For those who are interested in small term roles there can be role of maybe honest cops, businessmen etc. Otherwise, for most they could be employed as NPC's. Also this is not limited to canons. You can also draw up an OC you want.

Below is the character sheet which you can PM to me or Chrystal. Please do not post here. They will get added upon approval.

Player Name:
Character Name:
Nickname: If Any
Profession:
Personality:
Appearance Out of Costume: Picture preferred.
Appearance in Costume: Picture preferred.
History:

[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Real Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Nicknames:[/b] If any
[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance Out of Costume:[/b] Picture preferred.
[b]Appearance in Costume:[/b] Picture preferred.
[b]History:[/b] 2-3 Paras

Thank you for reading. We hope to get this game running soon and are looking forward to having some fun!

Chrystal

MEEEOW!

Yeah, I know, I'm corny.

Anyway, this is my bit: Amazon mentioned we are looking for a third player to help GM. This is necessary because this game will be in two phases.

First phase will be to allow everyone to establish their characters, build their crime empires, bribe as many cops (NPCs) as they can, and basically get things moving. This is the phase when if people are going to say "Yes I'm in!" then post once and never post again, we expect it to happen, and we will not be too worried. Also, during this phase, a very small amount of "god-moding" by Batwoman will be allowed. There is a very good reason for this: We want everyone to be fed up with The Caped Crusader constantly foiling their nefarious plans!

New characters will be free to join during this phase.

Once everyone is settled, and everyone's character is THOROUGHLY pissed off with the Caped Crusader, we will start phase two. This will be when the third GM comes in. Phase two will change the free-for-all free-form unstructured RP into a competition. Basically, the person who manages to successfully kill Batwoman wins. We will need the third GM to assist in administering the competition. The player may or may not be an existing player. We would prefer someone with a rank of at least "Enchanter" and we reserve the right to choose who we want in the role.

As Amazon said, please PM us both if you are interested in the job.

There is one important thing to note, however... Depending how far we've got in our Solo RP, and depending how far you read, you may spot that Katrina Wayne falls for Donna Ross. And Catwoman falls for the Bat - the feelings being mutual. This will lead to a very obvious conflict of interests - Catwoman becomes Batwoman's spy in the criminal fraternity!

Now, I'm telling you this up front just to be fair. Batwoman will have an advantage... but then it's basically her against the world!

Over to you guys...!

[Edited to add] I think we forgot to say: The events in this came do not run concurrent with the events in the solo RP. They take place some unspecified amount of time later. Thus, Batwoman and Catwoman will already know each other and - depending on how things go in the solo RP, may even know each other's identities.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

pendarious

sounds interesting.......i think i'll play.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

DigitLninja

I would give anything to be Terry McGinnis...

I'm I am very interested.
Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

NINJA VANISH! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

Chrystal

Hi guys. Thanks for replying.

DigitLninja, sorry but the "Batman" role is filled - we have a "Batwoman" instead - it being the prerogative of the thread's inventor to pick whatever role they wish!

However, you are welcome to be Bruce Wayne - if you read the Solo thread Amazon and I are enjoying, you will see that Bruce is Donna Ross' mentor. And of course we still need villains...!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Callie Del Noire

Chrystal

This is a cyberpunk setting. If you mean some sort of cyborg, please feel free to put together a charsheet.

If you mean something else, please explain what you mean...

DigitLninja

I should clarify that my comment about Terry McGinnis was simply to show that I have knowledge in this field, not that I want the position as it is already filled.

I have no idea what kind of character I want to be just yet...
Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chrystal on November 30, 2010, 01:37:36 PM
This is a cyberpunk setting. If you mean some sort of cyborg, please feel free to put together a charsheet.

If you mean something else, please explain what you mean...

There was a villian in the JLA series that had implants that let him use skill recordings of martial artists, and such to do their actions. I was thinking a 'legacy' style heroine who has found his gear and updated it a bit with LIMITED superhuman recordings. (with possible risks, feedback and such.)

Right now I was thinking a low level speedster, and possibly other ablities but the further from normal human metabolic states the more dangerous it gets. Doing a Kyptonian would be the equivalent of drinking nitro by the gallon and swallowing a match. No tangible results besides for a hard body to trace the chalk outline around. (assuming you could even scan something that powerful, which she can't)

Still very crude in the idea stage.

Chrystal

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Digit.

Callie, sounds good to me, but the final say-so is Amazon's. My ONE un-bendable requirement is that every character have at least one weakness. (Catwoman's main weakness is Batwoman... lol).

Oh, just so everyone knows, as I think this was missed off the intro posts (I will edit it into my post) - The events in this RPG take place some unspecified time AFTER the end of Amz and my solo game. Therefore, at the start of this game, the Bat and the Cat are already lovers, albeit with a very much love/hate relationship!

RubySlippers

I was thinking of this game some I thought a descendant of a Silver Age or WWII sort of heroine might be fun, someone without powers since superheroes could not enter German territory. I'm thinking of the decendant of Sgt. Frank Rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Rock

Would be a down to Earth sort of heroine just give her standard body armor, some weapon I'm thinking of something signature and her grandfathers toughness and strength which not superhuman proper still impressive trained in his fighting style. May not be able to beat Batman but could put up a decent fight for awhile. Not sure of a weakeness likely lack of money she is going to be a street performer so is not likely going to be able to get all sorts of neat stuff an old beat-up car in good shape and some weapon she likes that she has plus some self-made passing body armor.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chrystal on November 30, 2010, 02:06:39 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Digit.

Callie, sounds good to me, but the final say-so is Amazon's. My ONE un-bendable requirement is that every character have at least one weakness. (Catwoman's main weakness is Batwoman... lol).

The implants are a weakness as well as a benefit. Not to mention switching powers wouldn't be as quick reseating a new input chip in it's socket. It (the implants) have to purge the resident profile before uploading another one. Depending on how you want to do it. That can be minutes or longer.

Of course there could be all sorts of problems too. (I figure she's got a few profiles, and is always looking for new DNA profiles to work up. A low level speedster, a gymnastic type hero (maybe a profile of the Huntress), and a low level brick).

Urbanzorro

I'm interested I'm working on a character will hopefully have it ready to send in a little bit (like 15-20 mins) would it be preferable for me to send one p.m. to each of you or just to one of you?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

pendarious

can i pull an apprentace of Victor Freeze?
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Chrystal

Couple of things...

We are looking for villains, not heroes. (Unless I totally misunderstood what Amazon was explaining to me.)

(Love the avatar, by the way, RubySlippers)

Please send character profiles to both of us (In case you don't know, you can add more than one recipient to a PM, just by typing the first few letters of the name into the TO: box and selecting from the drop-down list).

Still looking for someone to take the role of 3rd GM. If interested please PM both myself and Amazon, saying why you think you are qualified. If accepted, we will explain to you privately exactly what the role entails.

pendarious

there i've submitted a character......i hope it works *chuckles*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chrystal on November 30, 2010, 04:27:10 PM
Couple of things...

We are looking for villains, not heroes. (Unless I totally misunderstood what Amazon was explaining to me.)

I sent along a PM to work things out before I submit a full on character profile.

Le Immortelle

First of all, thanks all for the interest.

And Ruby, that is a very hot avy indeed. :D And yes as Chrystal said..we're not looking for heroes..at least not at this point but searching for villains instead. If the setting indeed ends up working out incredibly well, maybe we would choose to bring in some more heroes in future. But for now, no.

Looking forward to seeing your character UrbanZorro and DigitLninja!

RubySlippers

Ok villain it is the head of her great ancestors legacy the descendant of Professor Moriarty a criminal gnius with money, a powerbroker and devious master criminal with no superpowers. Would be an able as far as being a criminal leader goes but come on her best laid plans should not reveal she exists to the Batman and others. Even Holmes crossed him twice and the second time was the fall of Holmes.

Would be a worthy concept not sure of a weakness though, and she could organize the other villians into a crime syndicate she the brains and resources and they they the muscle. Outwardly she would be a philanthropist and wealthy do gooder above suspicious funding her operations with mostly legitimate businesses. Some overseas of course not so legitimate but she would keep her hands clean.

DigitLninja

Quotes to Live by:

Chrystal

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 01, 2010, 11:29:43 AM
Ok villain it is the head of her great ancestors legacy the descendant of Professor Moriarty a criminal gnius with money, a powerbroker and devious master criminal with no superpowers. Would be an able as far as being a criminal leader goes but come on her best laid plans should not reveal she exists to the Batman and others. Even Holmes crossed him twice and the second time was the fall of Holmes.

Would be a worthy concept not sure of a weakness though, and she could organize the other villians into a crime syndicate she the brains and resources and they they the muscle. Outwardly she would be a philanthropist and wealthy do gooder above suspicious funding her operations with mostly legitimate businesses. Some overseas of course not so legitimate but she would keep her hands clean.

OOOH. Ruby, I LOVE your character idea. Seriously, she is the sort of villain that Batwoman might not bother with, having no real evidence, but that Catwoman would go after - being seriously into robbing the rich to feed the cat!

Quote from: DigitLninja on December 01, 2010, 01:06:29 PM
I kinda want to do a Riddler protege.

Riddle me a riddle then...?

Seriously though, it would be great if you could do some good riddles, but I guess it's not absolutely essential. You can NPC Edward Nigma, (Your mentor) or we can put hil into the Available Characters.

Anyone fancy taking on the Penguin? If we get a female penguin I will persuade Mistress Amazon to donate her current avatar for the pic base.... ;)

RubySlippers

I'll have an alter ego to meet bad guys or more likely in video relays have meetings, not sure. As for a weakness still don't know she is not going to have powers but will be skilled and likely businesslike as in will come into Gotham to take out major criminal faction rivals. So would be recruiting special sorts into the family and toss lots of money around to draw in the best normal criminals.

And if you work loyally your rewarded, if not lets say the Joker in the recent film has nothing on her to the horrors that will be done to strike fear into the factions enemies. >:)

Le Immortelle

RubySlippers, the mafia lord-esque character you have sounds great! Whilst the other super-baddies are busy laying out their plans..she can be totally ruling the underbelly of the city with an iron fist!

DigitLninja, a Riddler protege would be very interesting. And as Chrystal said, Nigma could be NPC'd or put into available roles.

In some more time, i'll make a character thread and post all the accepted characters in there.

Novak

read the whole RP last night.  Really looking forward to this if I get accepted.  I like how dark Catwoman is.

Writersblockade

How old are we looking for Bruce Wayne to be? Just a question, as I might want to play him ^_^
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!