The Gryphon Point School for Magical Pedagogy - [Interest Check]

Started by MissFire, May 08, 2016, 12:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFire

This is an interest check for Gryphon Point School for Magical Pedagogy! As the name might oh so subtly imply, this will be a Potter-like game that takes place in the modern world where magic continues to exist, albiet in secret, away from the prying eyes of normal people. Instead of a highschool, however, Gryphon Point is an institution for college-age students. Expect more advanced courses, tougher assignments, and the kind of hijinks and hormones that go along with being a college student. Gryphon Point itself is situated on an island in upstate New York in the US, but plays host to students from around the world. The island features a robust port, small forest, lighthouse, underground shopping area, and mysterious locations like a vast network of underground caves and hidden coves. The school itself is massive and includes everything a student might need.

Magic in this world works by drawing power from various sources combined with great mental focus and control. The school offers majors in White Magic, which draws from beings on the Astral Plane - the 'good' deities; Black Magic, which draws from the Sea of Chaos and the beings that reside there - the 'evil' deities; and Shamanistic Magic, which draws power from earthly spirits and nature itself - the 'neutral' deities. Some of these schools can be broken down even further into more specific branches, but more on that later. There is no need for wands, but invoking the name of the spell or deity being drawn upon is helpful in completing the spell successfully. Magic draws upon a mage's physical stamina, meaning that a mage needs to be in good physical condition to cast magic; too many spells and they could collapse!

Knowing that school-based games tend to fall apart when it comes time to trying to round everyone up for classes, I want to try something different. The game will more or less be freeform and sandbox, and all characters will be assumed to be going to their classes regularly. The exception is thus; I'll be throwing out story events every week or so! These will occur in new threads and at different times within the story separate from the freeform thread, so players can choose weather or not to participate and even if they do, they need not break off any current scenes. I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully this has piqued your interest. If you have any questions or comments, please PM me or post below! Let me know what you think of this idea.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi