Wheel of Time fantasy series will be completed

Started by Mia, December 13, 2007, 03:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mia

Tor announces that the final novel in bestselling Robert Jordan's legendary Wheel of TimeĀ® fantasy series will be completed by author Brandon Sanderson.

http://www.tor-forge.com/NewsArticle.aspx?articleId=647
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

schnookums

Hmm..I'd normally be surprised that someone was picked so quickly, but...Robert knew his chances were slim on making it, so I wouldn't have been surprised if this wasn't discussed before his passing. Even though I got kind of fed up around book 6 or 7 I'm still glad the series is going to be finished.

OldSchoolGamer

Yeah, I just couldn't keep reading...what began as a taut, excellently narrated tale of fantasy, escape, and suspense degenerated into a shaggy-dog story (albeit with great imagination).

I think the bottom line is Jordan had too many "main" characters.  Great characters, well-crafted characters, compelling characters...but just too damn many characters.  One simply couldn't follow...let's see...Rand al'Thor, Lan, Moraine, Lolial, Thom, Matt, Egwene, Nyneve...the list went on and on, all treated as main characters.

Jordan's world was top-notch, I'd give it a 10 out of 10.  His characters were excellent...I'd give them a 9 out of 10.  EotW and TGH were both riveting, excellently paced.  After that...too many characters.

But I am glad to see it finished.  I'll probably read the tenth book, just to see how it all ended.

Mia

I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

Apple of Eris

I liked the first few books, though I couldn't remember who was who and who did what after the first couple. I ended up so confused with the million and one plots and characters I simply gave up, around book seven or eight. Though i think I might have stopped being able to actually follow the series after like three or four.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Cherri Tart

i really love those books - that said, yeah, it got to the point where they were 3 years apart, and i spent about half the time trying to figure out who was who and what was going on - that said, i will most likely read the last book, just so i can see what happens :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

I tend to read the series about once a year or so, normally in preparation for the next book. I found the first couple ok, but for me the series took off when the Aiel came into it (the first time I read it, I should say).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Mia on December 22, 2007, 05:13:45 AM
12... there will be 12 books...

Good God, what a shaggy-dog story.

Jordan was a great writer, but even great writers need strong editors.

Nell

Ahhh, Fall of 2009? That's so long from now. It would be expected for it to take a while for an author to try to take over the role of another and closely emulate his voice and style, and editing would likely be much more extensive, but that's all he really has to do; the story and outline are already there laid out for him.