A Light In The Dark (persephone325 & MabFaerie)

Started by persephone325, April 29, 2013, 02:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Miku was a beautiful young girl. Anyone on the outside looking into her little glass house would think she had a great life. But she really didn't. She put on a brave face, and would hate it when she would wake up alive in the morning. It was a surprise when she showed up at the hospital, bleeding heavily from self inflicted wounds.

Her parents didn't even come see her in the hospital. Her mother was a drug addict, and her father - actually step - father - was an abusive asshole. Her real father had left her mother when Miku was younger. It was a heartbreaking decision on his part, but he had no choice. Miku still couldn't figure out the circumstances as to why he had to leave. But she had kept in contact with him over the years.

The man she had to call a step-father, didn't even deserve the title of human being. She had no idea what her mother saw in him. Maybe because he enabled her addiction and shared a mutual hatred for Miku. Ever since her mother brought him home, Miku hated him. He treated her like dirt, and recently started molesting her. No matter how many times she brought it to her mother's attention, she just called her a slut and accused her of trying to steal her husband.

Eventually, Miku just gave up. She isolated herself from her friends, her grades in school suffered, and she just barely was able to graduate high school. After a while, she stopped hearing from her friends altogether.

Her breaking point came when her step-father attempted to rape her. After the incident, Miku walked out of the house with a razor blade and headed towards the hospital. Along the way, she mindlessly cut herself. She didn't even feel anything while she was cutting. So the cuts got progressively deeper and longer. When she arrived, she collapsed in the emergency entrance and passed out.

After two days, Miku woke up and was committed to an in-patient hospital program for her suicide attempt. She stayed in-patient for almost three weeks before being discharged and having to participate in a day program. She would head to the facility at around 10 in the morning, and stay until about 2 in the afternoon. It seemed helpful, but she had only been going for two days.

Her mother and step-father still didn't care... But she had seen another girl in passing. She seemed like a sweet girl, and Miku wanted to get to know her better. She seemed like someone Miku could really care about, and she would care for Miku. Though it could have just been desperate wishing...
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

MabFaerie

"Tell me something, Evangeline. Tell me, what's so terrible about your life that you want to disappear, huh?! I thought we were past this. We discussed this before! Come on! You've got a roof over your head! You've got food in the fridge. You tell me right this instant what is so bad about that?!" Her fathers growling snapped Evangeline back to attention.

Damn it. She'd just managed to block him out too.
Just how many times was he going to ask her same thing? How many times did he plan to remind her that she had a bed to sleep in and food to eat. Yeah, as if that was magically going to make this all better. What was he expecting her to say? Oh my goodness, you're so right! How did I not notice that before?! Silly me, I feel better now! Thanks Daddy! Please, tell me more about how good my life is, obviously that will make me feel much better about wanting to be rid of it.

Yeah. Like that would ever happen.

She didn't say anything, however. Which seemed to only spur him on more, of course. He continued his ranting and raving while she sat there, in the back seat of his car, staring out the window as the scenery flew by. Silently hoping against all hope that maybe, just maybe, if she tried hard enough, she could turn into a bird and fly away, or fade into dust and scatter to the four corners of the earth, or morph into a shadow, ever present but unnoticed, lurking in the backdrop of her life.
Anywhere but here.
Anywhere would do.

"The doctor said she'd like to speak with you and mom at some point about the option of family counseling. She said it would be very helpful in getting to the root of the problem." Evangeline said quietly, her voice barely reaching above a whisper, as the car came to a still outside the hospital.
"You can tell her we're not interested. This problem has nothing to do with us! There's nothing wrong with our family. This is about you." He replied sternly, his shouting having dulled to something more along the lines of disgruntled mumbling as the out-patient facility came into view.

Evangeline didn't bother with a reply. What was the point? He was convinced his family was absolutely perfect and he would do anything to keep that facade in place. The outside world could never know what went on behind closed doors. He was a man of pride and distinction. He couldn't stand to be anything else.

"Go on. Your mother will pick you up this evening. Go fix yourself." Her ordered, waiting for her to move.
Fix herself. Of course. Because she was the problem. Right. That made sense. It was all on her.
Let's overlook the fact that her father was an obsessive control freak. Overlook the fact that her brother was both a charming gets-everything-he-ever-wanted-ever manipulative bastard, with the temper of a raging bull seeing red all the damn time. Overlook the fact that her sister was on drugs and out partying instead of taking care of her daughter. Overlook the fact that her mother was an enabler who allowed her father every single ounce of control and gave her brother everything he desired, provided the two didn't clash. Even though they did. All the fucking time.

Nope.
This was definitively all her problem. All in her head. There was nothing wrong with her family. At all.

"Are you going to just sit there or am I going to have to drag you out?!" He demanded, her hands gripping the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white.
"I'm going." She replied, unclicking her seat belt and stepping out of the car, slamming the door shut behind her.
Without so much as a goodbye, he sped off.
She scoffed. How typical. Wouldn't want anyone to see him here. Wouldn't want anyone he knows to ask questions. Wouldn't want the world to think he was anything other than completely normal and well-off.

Shaking her head, Evangeline sighed and made her way into the hospital, stopping long enough to ask the receptionist for directions to the group therapy room she'd be expected to show up at in roughly 10 minutes or so. She'd only been to it twice and she was still having trouble remembering where exactly it was located.

After a bit of wandering about, she found it and peeked her head inside. The therapist, Amy Kemp, was there already. She appeared to be looking over some charts, her brown bun seeming to have fallen out somewhat and casting itself about her face at a rather charming angle. Glancing up as Evangeline entered the room, she peered out over half-mooned spectacles, her bright blue eyes twinkling with a friendly passion.
"Hey there Eve! Come on it and have a seat, you're a bit early, but that's alright, Miku is here too." She gestured to a semi-familiar asian girl to her right, who looked a lot more like a lost doll than a girl in need of therapy.

"Why don't you two get familiar while I get ready for our session?" Doctor Kemp suggested, with a warm smile on her face.
Under normal circumstances, Evangeline was certain she would decline, but Doctor Kemp (who preferred to be called Amy in most sessions) had a way about her that led Evangeline to believe she was genuine and really did care about all the girls in her group. It helped that Amy was fairly young, in her early 30's at best, so the age gap between them wasn't as terribly prominent as it would be with other therapists.

Taking Doctor Kemps advice, Evangeline took the seat closest to Miku and offered a shy smile.
"Hello. I think we might have spoken once before. I'm Evangeline. My friends call me Eve. Or, they would, if I still kept in contact with them. We just moved recently so... yeah. Uhm, anyway, you could call me Eve too, if you wanted. I guess."
Well this is going splendidly. she thought to herself, sourly. Could this get any more awkward?
The mind is it's own place; and can make a heaven of hell; and a hell of heaven.

persephone325

Miku walked into the group therapy room, first one again as usual. The therapist, Amy Kemp, was sitting in a chair looking over her charts. She looked up and smiled at the long haired girl as she entered.

"Good morning, Miku. Good to see you." She said cheerfully, adjusting her glasses and looking back down at her charts.

"Hi Miss Amy." Miku replied softly as she took a seat in the corner of the small white room. All the seats were comfortable, but she liked the couch the best.

"Please, Miku. Just Amy is fine." The woman said. "No need to be so formal." She added. Miku nodded slightly as a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. A few minutes passed, and Miku was lost in though as she stared at the scars on her wrists.

"Hey there Eve! Come on it and have a seat, you're a bit early, but that's alright, Miku is here too." Amy's voice broke through her thoughts and startled her. She looked at the door and saw Eve standing there. Amy excused herself to get ready for the day, and suggested that the two girls get to know each other. Eve sat down near Miku and spoke somewhat nervously.

"Hello. I think we might have spoken once before. I'm Evangeline. My friends call me Eve. Or, they would, if I still kept in contact with them. We just moved recently so... yeah. Uhm, anyway, you could call me Eve too, if you wanted. I guess." She said. Miku gave her a shy smile.

"Hi. I'm uh... I'm Miku." She said, rather redundantly after she had already been introduced. Eve had such pale skin and large eyes. She looked a bit like an anime character. Miku held her wrists against her lap self-consciously.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

MabFaerie

"Hi. I'm uh... I'm Miku." Evangeline offered a sort of amused, but kind, smile.
"So I've heard." She replied with a playful grin. "It's nice to meet you, Miku."
Evangeline repressed the urge to ask something stupid and common like 'So what brings you here?'
That would be a deathtrap of all questions. The idiotically obvious one that everybody knew the answer to and nobody wanted to talk about.
They all had reasons to be here and they'd all end up discussing them at some point. There was no logical way to approach them in advance and Evangeline definitely wasn't about to try.

Instead, she sat there, awkward and silent, hoping that at any moment a meteor would crash land into the earth and incinerate them all or perhaps the more likely event, that somebody would arrive and break the silence.

Lucky for her, the latter occurred.

"Hey group!" in bustled a rather lively blonde haired girl, clad in the shortest skirt Evangeline had ever seen. Of all the girls in the group so far, Kelly was definitely the most bubbly of the crew. For all intents and purposes, she seemed, well... fun. Normal. Nice. And from the impression she gave (and the one or two stories she'd shared in the past two meetings) she was also very, very sexually promiscuous.
Evangeline took that knowledge at face value. Everybody had a reason for who they were and what they did, some reasons were simpler than others and Evangeline wasn't one to judge so easily.

"Aww, come on. Do I have something in my teeth? What's the matter? Can't say hello?" Kelly didn't seem the type to sit well with silence and had a habit of forcing words where none were needed. Evangeline, in turn, or if only to be polite, smiled at her and spoke up.
"Hi Kelly. How are you?"
"I. am. excellent! My daddy took me to the Rainforest Cafe earlier, and oh my god, it was amazing. Did you know they have like, real birds and stuff there? How do they even feed them in a building? That's crazy!" Evangeline bit her tongue and held back her response. Instead she shrugged her shoulders and forced a rather rigid smile,
"I dunno. That is pretty crazy..."
"I know! And what about you there, quiet one! How are you?" Kelly asked, turning her attentive gaze to Miku now.
The mind is it's own place; and can make a heaven of hell; and a hell of heaven.

persephone325

Miku chuckled quietly and a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. She wasn't sure what else to say, and didn't want to ask any sort of personal questions. So she sat with Eve in a somewhat awkward silence. Until Kelly walked in. Miku sighed inwardly.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly... Miku wasn't even sure why the bubbly blond was even in the program. She always seemed so happy... But then again, Miku always put on a brave face in public. But it wasn't as over the top as Kelly's. Luckily, Eve had initiated a conversation. But it didn't take long for Kelly to set her sights on Miku.

"I know! And what about you there, quiet one! How are you?" Miku couldn't escape the question. She didn't want to answer, but she didn't want to ignore her either...

"I'm as fine as I can be." She replied softly with a casual shrug. "I'm glad your day started off so well." She quickly added, not wanting to put a damper on Kelly's mood just because she wasn't feeling any kind of happiness herself.

But seeing someone so happy made her ache inside. It was like whatever higher power was mocking her. As if the powers that be were laughing in her face. See this happy person? Sucks that you can't experience that happiness, huh? It would mock. Without realizing it, Miku was digging her nails into her wrists. Though it just looked like she had one hand on top of the other in her lap.

She faked a smile at Kelly and nodded slightly.
I don't know.

MabFaerie

Eve leaned back in her chair, drawing one leg up at an angle and wrapping an arm around it lazily.
"So who are we waiting on? Can't be too long until this train wreck gets rolling, can it?" Eve piped up.
"Yeah! There were two others in our little family of misfits, right? Or maybe I miscounted? I dunno, I wasn't totally paying attention last time~" Kelly chirped as she settled into a window seat, resting a ridiculously large, hot-pink and undoubtedly over cluttered bag at her feet.

Just as soon as they'd mentioned the others, another figured shuffled in and took a seat, wordlessly in the spot nearest to the door, probably the type who wanted to be able to run off at a moments notice. Eve found herself appreciating his quick thinking. She wished she'd done the same. 
With hands shoved deep into the pockets of his denim jeans and a hood drawn up around his head, the boy seated beside the door appeared unnaturally hunched over and withdrawn but Eve recognized what bit of his face she could see from the last time. Long black hair, plastered every which way, bangs obscuring half his gaze, large black glasses perched at the end of his nose, there was only one boy in the group like that: Stuart or Stanley or something was his name, Eve wasn't sure. She thought Miku had been quiet, but Stuart-Stanley? He was a freaking mute. She couldn't recall him saying much more other than his name, age and whatever bit of prodding Amy could get out of him, which admittedly hadn't really been much.

The silence seemed to drag on awkwardly, as bubbly Kelly was now considerably more preoccupied with texting and toying around on some game on her cell-phone than forcing the rest of the crowd into chatter.  Eve couldn't help but feel as if she was waiting for a pin to drop with how heavy the air in the room felt otherwise.

Thankfully, Amy shuffled back in and Eve noticed from the corner of her eye Stuart-Stanley tugging an earbud free from his ear to listen to anything Amy might have to say.
"It should just be another minute, crew. Some of us are running a little late. Would anyone like anything to drink before we begin? Maybe a snack?"

persephone325

Miku stayed quiet, and looked down. She was busy lost in thought, wishing this program was an in-patient option. She didn't want to go home. But she felt selfish for thinking like that. She felt like she deserved to be here. It was her own fault. That's what her mom and step-father would tell her. So, in time, she came to believe it.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Amy's voice from the doorway. She had been so distracted she didn't even notice when Steven came in. He was the "emo" stereotype, but he hardly ever talked. Miku couldn't help the little crush she had on him. So when she noticed him in the chair by the door, she smiled ever so slightly.

"Can I have some water, please?" She asked in a quiet tone. Almost like a chirping bird. Amy nodded and gave her a friendly smile, which Miku returned as she tucked some of her long black hair behind her ears.

"Anyone else want anything while we wait?" The brown haired therapist asked. Miku turned to the rest of the group, and caught Steven looking at her. Upon meeting his gaze, he immediately looked back down and put his ear bud back in to listen to his music. It made Miku blush a bit.

He may have been a quite boy, but maybe Miku could get him to speak up a bit if she mentioned something about her step-father. She hadn't said anything about the horrifying ordeal that set this chain of events in motion. Maybe... Maybe today she should... Steven seemed like the type of guy that would be upset by something like that. Most of the "emo" stereotype guys she knew in high school were more in touch with their emotions. At least it seemed that way to her.

"Eve, do you want something?" Miku found herself asking without even thinking about it. It was kind of out of character for her to be so direct like that. A nervous habit made her bite her lower lip and want to apologize.
I don't know.

MabFaerie

When Miku asked her if she wanted something, Eve glanced her way, a blank yet wide-eyed expression on her face hinting at the surprise she felt. She offered a smile to Miku and turned to Amy to reply,
"I guess some iced tea would be okay if you had any, Amy. Other than that, water's fine."
"Sure thing, I'll see what I can find." Amy replied and had sped off without another word.

A moment later, an image that decidedly wasn't Amy appeared in the doorway. Lean, tall and long-haired, the effeminate figure took a seat adjacent to Eve without a word. It seemed the entire group consisted of rather quiet people, with the exception of the overly-chatty Kelly.

Eve found herself studying their latest arrival and wracking her brain to put a name to the face. She really was just terrible with remembering names and suddenly found herself more appreciative of the silly name tags she'd always found so necessary before.

"Oh, Skye! You're here! Excellent, we can begin once everyone is ready." Amy reappeared a moment later, setting down a tray of beverages on the small coffee table in the center of the room, before crossing the space of the room to close the door. She smiled approvingly at the group and took her seat at the only desk in the corner of the room, where a variety of folders, notepads and writing instruments awaited her, all arranged neatly around her laptop, humming softly with life.

persephone325

Miku still felt embarrassed by her sudden outburst towards Eve. But the girl seemed more surprised than anything else. The dark haired girl made a note to apologize to her after the morning session let out.

The group waited in an awkward silence until Amy returned with a tray of drinks and a cup of coffee. She set it down on the small table in the center of the room, and then took her seat in the corner behind a desk. Miku never really liked that, because it always made her feel like she was in some kind of business meeting; rather than a therapy session.

She reached out and grabbed a bottle of water, then repositioned herself on the couch, pulling her legs up on to the empty space next to her. After opening the top, she took a long refreshing drink. It was really cold, and that's just what she was hoping for.

"Alright. Let's get started. Unless anyone needs anything else?" Amy spoke up and looked around. The group stayed quiet, and Kelly shook her head. "OK. Now who wants to start?" She asked, and Steven pulled his ear buds out to listen.

Not me... Don't pick me... Miku wished in her mind.

"Miku. You were first to come in. How about you start?"

Damn it! The Asian girl let out a sigh and frowned. "Alright..." She said softly.

"Thanks, Miku." Amy replied.

"Well... I don't really know where to start..." It was evident that the young girl was a bit flustered.

"It's alright. Just start with..." Amy looked up at the ceiling for a moment while she thought. "Start with Friday evening. Can you think of anything you'd like to share? If not, skip on to Saturday." Miku nodded slowly.

"Alright... Well, Friday I just stayed in my room and wrote. I like writing stories. The one I'm writing now is about a girl who sees ghosts. I haven't gotten very far, but at some point she's going to have to help the police solve a murder. With each step closer to the truth, the more danger she's in because the killer has been watching her for some time."

"Wow! You're very creative, Miku. Not everyone has such talent." Amy praised her. Miku blushed and looked down a bit, a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. After a moment, she looked back up and caught Steven's expression. He seemed to be smiling, but Miku could have been mistaken. "What about Saturday?" Amy's voice broke the silence again.

"Oh, um... Nothing really. Just tried to stay away from my mom and step-dad..." Her tone conveyed that it was obvious that she didn't really want to go into any more detail than that. She met Amy's eyes, and the woman nodded.

"Sunday..." She let out a sigh and looked down. "Sunday was bad. I tried to avoid them - mom and Curt - but it didn't work too well. They wouldn't leave me alone. I hate it when they gang up on me..." Miku's eyes glistened in the light, and she looked ready to cry. But she took a deep breath and calmed herself.

"They have no respect for my privacy, and just come into my room...or the bathroom...whenever they want. But they get mad when I lock the door!" She was obviously frustrated, so she took a drink of water before she continued. Amy stayed silent, but her eyes were fixed on Miku. She really did listen to what the patients had to say.

"Anyway... Yesterday, I was in the shower. I already had a towel around me, but it was still unnerving to see Curt in front of the door when I came out." She shuddered at the memory. Kelly stopped texting and looked up at her. "I was angry, scared, upset... I wasn't feeling just one emotion. So of course I yelled at him. I told him to 'get the fuck out'." She paused.

"Sorry about the language..." Miku apologized, and Amy nodded to say she understood. "Well he got mad at me for cursing. But he says stuff like that all the time..." She sighed and shook her head. "Before I realized what was happening, he rushed at me and backhanded me across the face. I was so shocked that I stumbled backwards and fell over. And he was just looming over me... I was so scared he was going to...you know..." Miku hinted at something sexual, she just couldn't bring herself to say it.

"But he didn't. I felt so relieved for about two seconds. That's when he kicked me really hard in the ribs. He was wearing his work boots, so it hurt way more than a barefoot, or a sneaker..." She instinctively wrapped one arm around her abdomen. "Knocked the wind right out of me. I couldn't breathe for what felt like forever... I just couldn't catch my breath. But it really didn't matter to him. He pulled me out by my hair, and threw me to the floor in my room." A single tear fell from her eye and rolled slowly down her porcelain like skin.

"Um, I cursed at him again under my breath, but in Japanese. That made him even more mad. I guess because he couldn't understand what I said. So he picked me up by the throat, smacked me in the face again, slammed me against the wall and choked me until I passed out." Miku finished, her voice just above a whisper.

Nervously, her eyes glanced at the others in the group. Skye, the tall androgynous one, looked at her with wide eyes. Kelly's jaw was slightly agape in an expression of surprise, or shock. Steven looked angry. His hands were balled into fists, and seemed to be tightly clenched. Finally, Miku's eyes rested on Eve. The pale girl looked ready to cry as well.

Everyone seemed shocked into silence...
I don't know.

MabFaerie

Evangeline tensed noticeably and felt herself gritting her teeth in distaste. She didn't like Mikus story. Not one bit.
She wanted to scream at the girl. She wanted to pull her aside and demand something be done. She wanted to know why Miku bothered to stay. She could go to a shelter. She could run off with a friend. She could get out from under that wreck. And yet she just lingered there, taking the abuse in meek and frightened silence.
Evangeline didn't think she could ever be like that.

What bothered her more was how Miku was old enough to walk off and not be dragged back. She was eighteen already. Miku was legally an adult, whereas Eve was still only seventeen and stuck counting the months until her birthday. Miku had a choice. That was the source of Eves anger right there. Miku had a choice and she chose to stay.

For a brief moment Evangelines gaze flickered to Amys. Accusingly, she stared at the therapist. Wordlessly, she demanded 'Why don't you do something about this?' and 'How can you sit there and allow this to happen?!'
Amy was older, in a position of power. Couldn't she do something? Sure, Miku was an adult but not by much! There had to be a way to help her, couldn't there?

After a rather long and awkward silence, Eve asked what no one else was willing to say but obviously thinking,
"Why didn't you call the police on him? If he hurts you, why would you continue to just sit there and take it? If someone wants to walk all over you, you don't lay down and make it easy for them!" Somehow Eve found herself standing up, towering over Miku from an angle alongside her and gesturing with her hands for added effect.
"If either of my parents ever laid a hand on me, I'd likely punch them right back or call the cops. I'm not gonna sit there and let myself be tossed around like a fucking doll!"

"Eve, please. Let's not verbally attack one another. This group is for support. Getting angry at Miku won't help her any. Please, sit back down." Amys soft voice cut in where Eves sharp one left off, a subtle reminder for Eve to curb her temper.

"Sorry, Amy." Eve replied, sitting back down before adding on as a last minute thought, "And Miku. Sorry."

"Why don't we move on?" Amy suggested, trying to steer the conversation towards a different topic.
"Miku, did anything good happen this weekend? Maybe you could tell us more about your hobbies? Or that story of yours? Or perhaps anyone else might like to speak?"

persephone325

Miku jumped, startled by Eve's sudden outburst. She angrily demanded Amy do something. But there was nothing anyone could do. At least, that's what Miku thought.

Then, Eve turned her attention to Miku. She was angry, and it was obvious. She seemed to think it was just as easy as leaving home and finding some place else to live. But she was on the outside. She had no idea what else was wrong with her life.

She stood over Miku, and the young Asian girl felt like she was back at home; being yelled at by her mother. Deep down, she knew Eve had a point and that she was right. But Miku lived with this for years. It was all she knew, and she had a sort of twisted responsibility to take care of her mother.

Just as Miku was about ready to give up and break down, Amy's voice cut in and Eve seemed to calm herself as she sat back in her seat. She apologized, and Miku could tell it was genuine. Though she didn't really blame Eve for it. She really did have a point.

Instead of answering Amy, Miku felt like she had to reply to Eve.

"I don't have a choice. I have no friends anymore. I don't have any family left. My mom's manipulated them into thinking that I'm the one who has a problem. She says I'M the one who's in the wrong. And they all believe her! They believe her over me. They even believe CURT over me!" Miku was upset by her own words. It was the truth, and the truth really did hurt. It felt like a knife in her heart.

"You don't think I've tried fighting back? You said it right. I'm a fucking doll! Curt has over two hundred pounds on me, and I have no fighting experience!" Miku's heart was pounding. She was pissed off, but not at Eve. She was pissed off about her situation. It was like life was trying to make her kill herself. Like she was just a test subject in some sick game.

"The police can't do shit. Why? It's because of Curt. He IS a police officer. He's the goddamn chief of police. He's got nobody to answer to! He's got connections everywhere. It's like he's paid people off to look the other fucking way!" Miku was just venting now. She had so much pent up frustration, anger, sadness, rage... It was coming to a boil now, and was beginning to overflow.

"People don't know he's my step-father because I refused to take on his last name when my mom married him. And why would he tell anyone I'm his step-daughter? As fucked up as I am, would anyone want to say they were related to me?? I don't even want to be related to me!"

"I'd rather be dead, than have to live this life..." The young girl moved her feet to rest on the floor, looked down and held her head in her hands.

Silence. From everyone. Moments felt like hours. She heard someone moving around, but couldn't bring herself to look up. Someone sat down on the couch next to her. Turning her head slowly, she saw Steven holding a tissue out to her.

Miku's hands were shaking slightly as she reached out and gently took it from him. She dabbed the corners of her eyes, and wiped the wet trails from her cheeks. She expected him to go back to his seat, but he stayed right where he was.

"Thank you..." She whispered softly.
I don't know.

MabFaerie

"So what if he's the chief of police! He's not the only police officer in the world. Everyone answers to someone. He is NOT above the law. Where there's a will, there's a way. It's not impossible to get out, even if it means leaving the state." Eve replied. She wanted to take pity on Miku, and to some extent she did, but she also refused to sit back and let her take the easy way out.
Eve, in some odd form, was now determined to find a way out for Miku. One that didn't involve death.
"Even if you're the only one, you're not alone."

"I think that's enough for now, Eve." There was Amy again, trying to get Eve to back off. What was her problem? Why did she insist on de-escalating the situation every damn time? Didn't she understand that in order to do what was right sometimes you had to get mad about it first? Wasn't she the one who told Eve time and again in their private sessions that anger was healthy? Was that all just said to make her feel better then?

Eve exhaled on a quiet hum and crossed her arms over her chest.
"Alright. Fine. Let's walk on eggshells, since you insist." She gave in. Again. Damn it, she just wanted to help!

"Eve, you seem very talkative this evening. Would you like to go next?" Amy asked after a moment of silence, when it seemed Eve had cooled off somewhat.
"No thank you." Eve shot back, curling her legs up beneath her and closing herself off from the group.

persephone325

Miku was hurt by her words. But again, Eve had no idea what went on in her daily life. Yet here she was, practically telling her what to do. Once again, Amy intervened to calm things down. Though it didn't stop Miku from shooting right back at Eve.

"It's so easy for you to sit there and tell me what to do! Tell me where to go! You don't think I've tried everything I could think of?! You think I like what's going on?!" Miku was shaking with anger and frustration. "I don't! I don't like any of it! I hate going home, only to be beaten up, or told I'm worthless!"

"Miku, just take a deep breath. Just -"

"No! I don't want to take a deep breath! I don't want to breathe at all!" She glared at Amy. She didn't mean to be so rude, but she was talking out of anger now. Continuing, she turned back to Eve. "Do you know what it's like to be terrified to go to sleep out of the fear that you'll wake up and find your step-dad molesting you?! Or - or being so scared that he'll rape you when you come home??" Miku's voice was so loud she was sure people in the other rooms could hear her. But she didn't care.

"Hell! If things are so bad for you that you have to come here, why didn't YOU just leave the fucking state?!" She was practically screaming out of frustration. The young girl ran her hands through her hair.

"I came here to get better. Not to have some other fucked up patient tell me what to fucking do with my life!" With that, Miku stood up and walked out of the room. She needed some time to breathe and calm down. She had never been that angry with someone other than her mother, or Curt.

Her hands were shaking, and her skin was hot. Almost like she had a fever. But she knew it was just her anger that had erupted. Her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy. A few patients from down the hall had their heads poked out of the doorway.

"What are you looking at?!" Miku hissed. Immediately, they retreated back into the room and shut the door as quick as they could. She leaned her back against the wall and slid down to sit on the floor. Hopefully, Amy would just continue the session. There was still forty-five minutes to an hour left, and Miku would need all the time she could get to calm herself down.
I don't know.

MabFaerie

As Miku shouted in a rage, Eve simply sat there and took it. Where the others seemed shocked and confused, perhaps silently taking sides in the ill-begotten war, Evangelines expression was a blank slate, empty and calm, devoid of any emotion.
When Miku stormed off, a heavy silence flooded the room. No one dared to say a word. What would they even say if they tried?
After a moment, Eve stood and started towards the door, intending to follow Miku.

"Eve, I think it might be best if we allowed Miku to have a moment alone to-"
"Like I care." Eve cut in, casting Amy a sharp glance. It was cruel of her. She knew it. Amy really was the only person here looking out for them. But then, Eve didn't much like people looking out for her in the first place. It never did end well.

Ignoring Amys words, Eve left the room, making sure to shut the door behind her. It wasn't long until she found Miku, the crumped up little ball, on the floor, hugging her knees.
"You're right." She said, quietly, before leaning on the wall beside Miku.
"I am fucked up. Probably just as much as you are. Maybe even more. But there's another thing..." Eve paused, allowing the words to sink in before she added, "I did try running."
Turning, she slid down the wall beside Miku and crossed her legs indian-style, resting her palms on her knees and sighing.
"I got away for a while too, you know? I took public transportation as far as I could manage, hopped cars a lot, took taxi cabs, walked for days and generally hitchhiked my dumb ass cross county." Eve laughed softly to herself, but it didn't sound like she thought what she had done was funny. It sounded as if she thought what she had done was sad.

"I was out of that house for six months. God those were glorious days. I wish you could have been there. This one time, I had a barbeque out of the back of my cousins pick up truck! Oh man, there was-- Ah. Sorry. I'm getting sidetracked. Anyway... I was gone for 6 months but... they found me." The faint smile began to fade from Eves face as she continued,
"You'd be amazed the extents your family is willing to go to get their personal punching bag back. And even more amazed the people they'd pay off to do it. I hear it helps when your fathers best friend is the chief of police and has experience pulling strings in order to make lives miserable." Eve allowed her last sentence to linger for a moment, letting Miku understand just what she had implied.
The reason she had become so out of hand, so adamant that Miku could find a way out, was simply because if Miku could escape her step-father, then it meant so too could Eve. In some backwards sense, they were running from the same man.

"Anyway, since I'm under 18, they reserve the right to bitch and moan and drag me back by force every time I try to bolt. The court denied my Emancipation request, by the way. I'm pretty sure I have your father to thank for that one. He seems the sort to rig the system towards his benefit." Eve stood then and turned, her back to Miku, lingering somewhat,

"If you really want to hear my sob story, I won't spare you any details. Though, that would involve coming back into the room."
Without another word, Eve walked away and took her seat in the room once more, the group inside ignorant of the events that had transpired and making quiet chatter amongst themselves to fill the void. 

persephone325

Miku sat quietly on the floor. She was enjoying the quiet, and she felt herself calming down again. She heard a door open and shut nearby. The dark haired girl didn't bother to look up. It was only when she heard someone sitting down next to her did she turn to face whoever it was.

Great... Just fucking perfect... Miku groaned inwardly, and was about to tell Eve to fuck off. But the thin girl began talking before Miku could open her mouth. Instead of cutting her off, Miku just sat there and listened. She listened to Eve explain about how she was able to run for six months.

If I could run away for a day, that would be glorious... Miku thought, wondering if Eve was rubbing it in her face that she was actually able to get away from such a long period of time. This girl was seriously starting to rub Miku the wrong way...

But then, Eve said something that caught Miku's attention. "You'd be amazed the extents your family is willing to go to get their personal punching bag back. And even more amazed the people they'd pay off to do it. I hear it helps when your fathers best friend is the chief of police and has experience pulling strings in order to make lives miserable."

So you do understand... But you still took it upon yourself to tell me what to do?? Miku thought angrily. She rested her head on her knees and gritted her teeth. Her dark hair fell around her face, and she closed her eyes. However, she let Eve continue to talk.

After a few more minutes, Eve stood up and said she was going back into the room. Miku still needed more time. Eve left, closing the door behind her. Miku took out her cell phone and checked the time. She had about forty minutes until the group session let out.

The young Asian girl sat on the floor for nearly 10 minutes before she reluctantly stood up and headed back into the room. She closed the door softly behind her. Steven was still on the couch, and his expression seemed like one of relief when she came back in. Despite the anger that still quelled within her, her heart fluttered as she met his gaze.

Miku took her seat back on the couch. She felt Steven put a gentle hand on her shoulder, and she let out a soft sigh to calm herself. She nodded to Amy to continue the group. She couldn't even look at anyone else.

"Alright. Let's continue." Amy said, not as happy as she had been before. "Miku if you need to leave again, you go right ahead." She said softly. "Thanks for sharing, Kelly. Who would like to go next?"
I don't know.

MabFaerie

As soon as the words left Amys lips, that pseudo-innocent inquiry of who would go next, Eve could practically feel the eyes of everyone else drilling holes into her skull. Of course she was next. Of course.
She'd rustled the jimmies of her metaphorical crew and now they were responding in the most passive aggressive way possible, making her go next. How pointless it all seemed, too. Eve likened it to being forced to walk the plank of a sinking ship. She'd fall first, but they were all ultimately going to drown.

"I guess it's me then, eh?" Eve leaned forward, resting one arm on her knees and her chin in her hand, forming the words in her head before she spoke them.
"So, what shall we discuss this time around? My weekend too?" Eve inquired, glancing to Amy for a reply.
"If you like, you could always begin by telling us why you're here. I find that to be most helpful for those who don't know what to say." Amy smiled reassuringly though it did little to ease Eves consciousness either way.

"Why I'm here, huh? Well, my school called the department of social services on my parents because they were suspected of neglect. The problem? The department has so many cases that it's standards are pretty fucking high when it comes to actually giving a shit about a case. They sent a worker our for a visit, our house was clean and my mother was nice. I didn't have any bruises and I didn't look like I was starving. They dropped the case and apologized to my parents. How fucking sweet of them." The acidic tone of Eves voice lent itself well to the imagery she was describing. It was obvious, even without her story, that she had very little faith in the system that was designed to shelter and protect people like her, or like Miku.

"Still, you're probably wondering if the case was dropped, why am I here? Well, my school social workers disagreed with the state and insisted that there was something going on behind closed doors. And unlike the government with it's fingers in too many fucking pies to keep track, the social workers and guidance counselors at my school had the time, patience and willingness to try and make a change in my life. Still, without the official aid of DSS, there was only so much they could do. Getting me into group therapy and trying, key word try, to get my family to attend as well was about the best they could manage. So here am I, like a good little girl, sitting through therapy for a family of excellent actors who have somehow convinced both the government and themselves that I'm the problem."

Eve leaned back in her seat, both hands gripping either side of the seat rest with fury.
"If I may interject, Eve? You've mentioned how you came to be here, but you haven't explained what it is at home that made your school counselors so concerned in the first place." Amy cut in, pointing out that Eve had only selectively answered the question in the first place.
Shrugging her shoulders somewhat nonchalant she tilted her head, gesturing to the clock on the wall,
"Next time, Amy. We're almost up, anyway."   

persephone325

Miku listened to Eve, but she couldn't keep her focus and only listened to half of what the young girl was saying. It was rude, sure. But she just couldn't get herself to concentrate. It was a combination of still feeling a bit angry, and her stomach was growling, and she could feel Steven's gaze on her. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it still made her blush because she had a bit of a crush on him.

The rest of the time in the morning session went by quickly. It was a little after 11:30 when Amy dismissed the group for the fifteen minute break before the next session started up. Miku took a deep breath, and was about to stand up when she felt a gentle hand on her arm. She looked down and saw Steven staring at her. The dark haired girl turned to face him.

"Miku..." He spoke softly. Hearing him speak her name like that made her heart flutter in her chest. Part of his face was obscured by his asymmetrical dark hair. It took Miku a moment to find her voice.

"Yes?" She asked, just as softly as he had said her name.

"I..." He seemed to stumble over his words. Miku waited silently and patiently as she watched him search for the words. His eyes met hers. "I'm glad you're alright." He finally said, the corners of his lips pulled up slightly.

"...Thank you." Miku didn't know what else to say, as she returned his smile. Steven nodded, stood up and left. There was still a bit of a smile on his face. Miku stood up, and headed out of the room as well. She avoided looking at any of the other group members as she headed to the bathroom.

Once inside the single occupancy bathroom, she locked the door and looked at herself in the mirror. Her hands braced on either side of the sink as she stared at her reflection. Eyes still slightly puffy and red around the rims, her cheeks were still a bit red due to the anger she had felt.

She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a small blade from a disposable razor. The cool metal felt familiar and calming as she held it in her hand. Her wrists were scarred by numerous cuts. Some were faint and just looked like harmless scratches. A few were more noticeable, and the skin was obviously raised above due to healing.

For a moment, Miku hesitated... She didn't know why, but when she pressed the sharp edge against her wrist she couldn't bring herself to press down and draw blood. Looking back up in the mirror, her brows furrowed as a look of confusion became apparent on her face. It was as if she had no reason to hurt herself. But as soon as the feeling came, it disappeared when the painful memories of the weekend came flooding back.

Not only from the weekend, but through out her life. Her stupid mother calling her a slut when she tried to explain that Curt was molesting her... Even at school, kids making fun of the way she dressed or catching glimpses of her scars and making jokes. If they only knew... If they could spend just one day in her shoes, they wouldn't be able to make jokes anymore. They would feel her pain, and not make fun of her.

But Miku wouldn't wish her pain on anyone. It would be selfish of her to do so. After all, she deserved this punishment. She was reminded every day that it was her fault. The pain that overwhelmed her because of her thoughts brought tears to her eyes once more. Eve was right. All she was, was a doll. A doll to be tossed around, stepped on, beaten and abused.

The sting of the blade digging into her skin made her gasp. Miku looked down to see the freshly made, inch long cut on her wrist. Blood pearled on her pale skin, and she held her wrist over the sink as the crimson drops fell from the wound. The contrast of the blood against the clean white sink looked oddly beautiful. As if it were a blank canvas, just waiting to be painted with her blood. The draw of gravity pulled the droplets down into the drain, and the trail the separate drops left blended into one.

Miku felt the familiar sense of dizzy euphoria wash over her, and she gripped the sink with her free hand to steady herself. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, feeling somewhat relieved. Closing her eyes, Miku leaned her head back and took another relieved breath.

A sudden knock on the bathroom door startled her, and she almost dropped the razor.

"Afternoon group is starting." A voice on the other side of the door said. Miku couldn't tell who it was. She was still feeling the high of her action, and couldn't even tell if it was male or female.

"Thanks. Be there in a minute." Miku replied, sounding as if nothing was wrong. She reluctantly turned on the sink, and washed the blood off her wrist. The red became diluted in the water, until you couldn't even tell it was there in the first place. It took a few minutes for the blood to stop flowing, but once it did she gently dabbed the area dry with a paper towel and put the razor back in her pocket.

Another deep breath in, and Miku opened the door. She headed down the hallway to the afternoon group. When she entered the doorway, she noticed all the other group members were there. Steven looked up, and motioned for her to sit next to him. Miku couldn't help but smile slightly.

"Miku. Glad you could join us." James Gardner, the group therapist, greeted her. Miku nodded slightly in his direction as she headed to her seat at the circular table. Eve was sitting across from her, and Skye was next to her. Kelly seemed to be getting cozy next to another male patient from the other morning group session. Miku recognized his face as one of the people who had poked their head out of the room earlier when Miku had her little meltdown.

"Are you alright? You were in there for a while..." Steven whispered to her while James began talking about anger management. Miku looked at him and nodded slowly. She felt him place his hand gently over top of hers. A smile slowly spread across her lips, and she felt like crying. She felt genuinely happy that someone cared.

"Thank you..." Miku whispered softly as her eyes glistened in the light. Steven nodded with a smile, and they turned their attention back to James.
I don't know.

MabFaerie

As the remaining patients filed off to the four corners of the earth, Eve watched one in particular as she fled. Her eyes lingered on Miku for a moment too long, lost in a quiet reflection until Amy's cleared throat jarred the sullen girl back to reality once more.

"Will you be attending your private session today, Miss Evangeline?" Amy smiled that same smile she always gave, a tired but well-meaning one that Evangeline was so accustomed to seeing on her therapists nowadays. It almost made her wonder if she wasn't the one putting it there.
Almost.

"Probably not. Do I have a choice?" Quirking one eyebrow, Eve rose from her seat and lingered by the doorway, half in, half out, half gone yet not.
"You always have a choice." Amy replied, not missing a beat.
"Then I choose to decline. If my family gets to pretend that all is well with the world and those within it, then so too shall I. It seems like a fun game anyhow."
"Perhaps if you tried a little harder to see things from their point of view, you'd get along better."
"Don't be silly, Amy. You can't see through bricks." Eve shrugged and walked off, leaving the hopeful therapist behind, no doubt looking all the world like a worried old nan, wringing hands and all.

"I need a ride home." Eve announced to her mother, managing to get a call through with the office's shoddy reception dropping her bars down to one or two at best.
"Well, you're just going to have to wait. Your father has the car, dear. Did you think he was going to walk to Golf?"
"He said you'd come get me." Eve replied, recalling her fathers disgruntled tone and feeling twice as annoyed for it.

"I'm sorry if he made you a promises he intended me to keep but I have no means of transportation. What do you want me to do about it? Why don't you just ask a friend for a ride?"
"Friends? Yeah. I have lots of those. Loads even. Like, twenty. On hand, at all times. All with cars. And horses too, y'know, for backup."
"Well good, just call one and they'll bring you home." Her mother replied, clearly preoccupied with another task at hand and only having half-heard the conversation to begin with.

"Mom, I was being sarcastic! What friends would I have here? We just moved!"
"Well, can't you ask that Doctor for a ride? Amelia Kemp-whatzit?"
"Amy? You want me to ask Amy for a ride? No. Pass. Thanks. Look, I'll just take the bus home. Don't wait up."
"Fine, I don't care." Her mother replied as calmly and casually as if Eve had suggested they get taco's for lunch.
"Yeah, I noticed." Eve snapped, barely able to contain her frustration.
"I'm busy, Eve! I'll see you when you get back." Obviously vexed, Eve's mother ended the call without so much as a goodbye, leaving Eve's teeth grating with annoyance. 

Shoving her cell phone back into the depths of her pockets, Evangeline groaned in frustration. Taking the bus alone in the middle of the evening wasn't really her idea of a good time. Still, what choice did she have?
She supposed she could linger around for a bit, maybe catch one of those stupid optional group sessions all the other lot had sauntered off to. Maybe team up with someone else riding the bus later?

"Well... I guess it's worth a shot... Maybe I won't have to go in. Maybe I can just sit outside and sulk." Eve paced awkwardly in the halls, sidestepping a small group of passing patients and a duo of Doctors as she did, each giving her a semi-worried, quizzical expression as they went along their ways.

With an exasperated sigh, Eve trudged her way towards the office of Doctor Gardner, where she found a small circle of patients sitting around being weepy and needy as usual.
Seeing that girl again, Miku, the one she'd upset earlier, made Eve give pause for thought.

For a fleeting moment, Eve half-wondered if maybe she was just broken. Maybe the reason she didn't care, didn't want to care, was because there was something fundamentally wrong with her inner workings. Maybe she was just a little clockwork doll, it's gears all turned awry, something stuck and a cog's gone lost, leaving her twitching, but otherwise junked.
Maybe other people, people like Amy, people like Miku, maybe they deserved something more than her dismissive stare and ice for words.
But then, Eve never much cared for what other people thought.

Pushing those feelings back down into the depths from whence they arose, Eve plopped herself down outside the door and stared off into the distance, effectively jamming yet another metaphorical cog in the way of her gears, assuring her broken doll self that it would not be repaired. At least, not today.

persephone325

Miku didn't feel much like moving after the session with Dr. Gardner was over. She felt so exhausted from what had happened today. A part of her wondered if maybe she had been too sensitive with Eve earlier. But the other part of her reasoned that the other girl had no business butting in and telling her what to do.

"Hey." A voice spoke gently. The young girl looked up through her lashes and saw Steven still sitting there. "Group's done. You wanna head out with me?" He offered, holding out his hand for her. Miku parted her lips slightly, as if to say something. But words escaped her in the moment. Instead, she placed her hand in his and he helped her up from the chair.

The two of them walked down the hallway, gingerly holding hands. Miku wanted to grip his hand as tightly as she could. She didn't want to ever let go, for fear that his hand would disappear and she would be digging her nails into the palm of her hand. She didn't want this to be a dream. Someone seemed to care about her, and the thought both comforted and terrified her.

"I have to call my mom to see if she can come get me." She said. Steven nodded and Miku walked to the phone at the desk.

"...'lo..." Her mother's altered voice came through the other end.

"Mom? I need a ride home." Miku said, sighing softly.

"Mom? Who..."

"It Miku. Your daughter."

"I...The... No car... Colors...too loud." Miku rolled her eyes and resisted the urge to groan. "Curt can...come..."

"No! No, that's OK." Miku replied quickly. "I'll find a way. See you later."

Or not... She wanted to say, but hung up the phone instead.

"Everything OK?" Steven asked when Miku turned to face him. She shrugged and stared at the floor. He held out his hand to her. "C'mon." Miku took his hand again and the two walked outside.

"Steven!" A man's voice yelled out rather harshly the second the two stepped out. Miku and Steven both turned to see a large looking, muscular man standing by a muddy Jeep. "Let's go! You know better than to keep me waiting!"

"This is Miku. Can she get a ride?" Steven asked, a little hesitation in his voice.

"Do I look like a cabby to you?" The man replied sarcastically. "Get your ass in this car, now. Don't make me tell you again..." The threat hung in the air and made Miku cringe inside.

"Shit... Sorry Miku. I...I have to go." Steven stammered and reluctantly dropped Miku's hand. He looked down and walked towards the man. When he got close, the man opened the back door and, more or less, shoved the boy into the car. Miku sat down on a nearby bench and waved sadly to Steven as the car sped away.

Now what...?
I don't know.

MabFaerie

Leaning against the wall, Eve only half-noticed as the patients in Doctor Gardners office filed past in a neat little row if inconsolable wrecks.
Miku and Steven seemed to be getting along nicely, what with the way they'd sauntered out of the room dead-last, holding hands like sweethearts. Eve rolled her eyes at the sight and crossed her arms a little tighter over her chest.
She wondered what was the point in relationships anyway? Everyone would always leave you in the end, or let you down enough that you'll wish they had.
She was of the opinion that it was better not to waste your time offering your heart to someone who'd only crush it beneath their heel when they were done. 

Her gaze followed them down the hall towards the receptionists desk where Miku made her phone call. It didn't take a genius to see that her mother wasn't available as Miku had initially thought she would be. Well, that made two of them. Ever the dutiful hero, good ol' Steven jumped to the rescue.
As the lovestruck couple exited the building, Eve was certain that it would be the last she'd see of them that evening. That is, until loud, boisterous comments filtered through the thin walls, catching Eve's attention and holding it.
"Do I look like a cabby to you? Get you ass in the car--" Eve groaned. That sounded familiar. She wondered for a moment if Steven's father was best buddies with her own. It would certainly make sense. Assholes did tend to loiter around like-minded monsters.

Eve stood just as Miku filed back into the building, alone this time. The sound of a tires screeching out of the drive was the only hint that prince charming had fled off to another castle.
"Hey." Eve called out, figuring that at the very least, the two girls might be able to pool their funds for a cab ride, or keep each other company on the bus.
"Listen..." She trailed off awkwardly for a moment, not really knowing where to begin. After a long sigh, she shook her head and started up once more,
"So, I know I was a bitch earlier, and truth be told, I'm kind of a bitch all the time, so don't get too comfy. But... I know that I really shouldn't take it out on people who are just trying to get by in this piece of shit world like me. So, maybe, in my own fucked up away, I'm trying to tell you I'm sorry." Eve shoved her hands deep into the pockets of her jacket and avoided Miku's gaze, somewhat. She was never very good at heartfelt apologies. Though, to be fair, she'd never had anyone ever tell her they were sorry and actually mean it, so it's not as if she could learn by example.     

"Anyway, what I wanted to say was uh... It looks like our rides both bailed. Do you want to take the bus with me? Safety in numbers and all that junk. I've got a couple bucks if you can't afford the fare." She shrugged dismissively, as if it didn't matter to her either way what Miku decided to do, but deep down she was hoping the girl might accept her invitation.