News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Create-A-City [Light:Human]

Started by Moraline, December 29, 2013, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZephySempai

Where were you guys when I was struggling in History class?!

Chrystal

Not to mention the Hawaiian Islands and midway...

Tjhere are places in the pacific and Indian oceans that the UK still owns too, as well as a lot in the Atlantic - the Falklands being the most obvious, but there's Ascuncion Island, St Helena and a few others. Mostly just rocks that no-one else wants...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Florence

Quote from: Chrystal on December 30, 2013, 04:12:35 PM
Basically, I put the island pretty much equidistant from those four locations.

Interestingly, I can't see there being great surf beaches on the Island in this location, as the East China Sea is only about 100m (300') deep and the Island chain to the East will break up the Pacific rollers...

However...

The fact that I put the city to the South East of the island was arbitrary, as with the size. The map I drew makes the island about 30 miles from end to end and about half that from side to side, but as I said that can be changed easily, as can the orientation of the island - I can make it straight, bi or gay.... Sorry, just kidding... Paintbrush is an amazing little tool in the Windows 7 version, so I can rotate the island, flip it over, stretch it, skew it, whatever anyone wants...

I confess, I know nothing of ocean depth and surfing physics xD;

In my head while writing up the location, I had it in mine that the island was just about large enough to fit a the city proper; a few mountains, a rather dense forest. In addition, there would perhaps be some farmland cleared out, around the city; keeping it as self-sufficient as possible and all. I imagine the traditional diet of the city largely consists of seafood and hunted game from the forest, but they'd at least likely try to have some rice paddies and/or vegetables to round out their diet.

Hey, I think I just answered a question that no one asked. xD What is the traditional Zan'an diet?

Anyway, I'm not so good at figuring out how much space that would require, but basically... city proper (however large that is), rural farmlands, forests and mountains. As for the shape, I had it in my head that it was somewhat round, perhaps with one of the larger mountains at the center of the island. Don't ask me about the geographical validity of a volcanic island at that location, it was simply the appearance that popped into my head.

Perhaps there's also a few smaller outlaying islands (ya know, the tiny sort that don't even appear on most maps), just a few places which pirates could hide away in little forest-covered islands.

Also, while reading the posts concerning the name I had a thought of my own, that the name of the city came from the same root as Nan'an, perhaps meaning Southern Peace as well, if the city is focused on the southern side of the island, not in any real Chinese, but rather a fictional regional dialect (which may or may not have faded out in favor of more common dialects, such as Mandarin, as mentioned in the demographics answer. "Chinese" is actually a collection of many related regional dialects. Just look at how different Mandarin and Cantonese can be.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Moraline

Quote from: JackWhite on December 30, 2013, 02:15:29 PM
Education:

The government of the small island believes that education is the key to a better future. A well-educated population would be an important factor for businesses to invest in the country. Although the sea and manual labor are important for the economy nowadays, they do want to encourage the young student to remain in school. That’s why the island spend a reasonable amount of their budget on education and keeping it affordable for the middle class. Most of the schools would be highly subsidized.
Adding to the list and welcome aboard.

Quote from: Chrystal on December 30, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
I thought this might be useful...

I can, if required, make the island bigger or smaller. As it stands, it's about the same size as Honolulu Island, or Rhodes (the Greek Island in the Mediterranean).
I love it and thank you very much.

I saw you mention it here somewhere, how big is the island? 30 square km?

Quote from: Angel Fire on December 30, 2013, 04:10:19 PM
Wow.... I always loved to build a world and I would really like to be a part of this.  Lets see what I can come up with here.

Zan'an gained Independence from the US/Aussie occupation in 1990 after a peaceful argument of what type of government the leaders decided to go with (that government question can be answered by someone else).

The UN took a look at their status and granted UN admission in 2002, a few months after the 9/11 attacks.  The UN realized that in order to protect Zan'an from the re-organization of the US and Aussie troops to more of the Middle East, they reluctantly realized that Zan'an was a strategically important place to avoid possible North Korean attacks from afar.

Hope this is good with everyone! *Smiles in hope*
Thank you for this and welcome to the group! Adding it right now.

There was a lot of back and forth talking here. Did we come to any agreed upon conclusions for any changes to this or the other items? 

*NOTE*
Please everyone remember to number your replies and try to respect the answers already given by other people.
It's alright if some things don't perfectly match up. We can smooth things over as we go.
However, if anyone has an idea and wants to discuss making minor changes that's welcome as well, just be gentle with your conversations. We want to keep this fun and light.

Ember Star

I was fooling around with my pic editor and I randomly designed a flag. If nobody likes it or we don't need/want one, I don't mind. Just thought I'd share

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Chrystal

Quote from: Moraline on December 30, 2013, 05:44:59 PM
I love it and thank you very much.

I saw you mention it here somewhere, how big is the island? 30 square km?

You're welcome, Moraline.

I have created a blob on the map that, to scale, would be about 50km x 25km, 30 miles x 15 miles. So 1250 square Km. (30 square Km is only 173m2 However, as I said, this can easily be changed.

If you like I can do a rough map of the Island as it was in 1946, and slowly expand the city as people decide what they want where?

Quote from: Ember Star on December 30, 2013, 06:07:09 PM
I was fooling around with my pic editor and I randomly designed a flag. If nobody likes it or we don't need/want one, I don't mind. Just thought I'd share

May I suggest that we decide on a form of government before choosing a flag? That flag is intrinsically Communist!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Moraline

Quote from: Chrystal on December 30, 2013, 06:15:00 PM
You're welcome, Moraline.

I have created a blob on the map that, to scale, would be about 50km x 25km, 30 miles x 15 miles. So 1250 square Km. (30 square Km is only 173m2 However, as I said, this can easily be changed.

If you like I can do a rough map of the Island as it was in 1946, and slowly expand the city as people decide what they want where?

May I suggest that we decide on a form of government before choosing a flag? That flag is intrinsically Communist!
I updated the notes on the map (Included it in the info post).  I think the size is perfect. It's much smaller then Taiwan but still it's a good size for lots of elbow room.

I like the idea of the city being much like Hong Kong with it being tightly packed and along the slopes of mountains etc... Plus it lets us use Hong Kong images for it. Just makes it easier for us to envision with that as a frame of reference. Hopefully everyone is alright with that.

Quote from: Ember Star on December 30, 2013, 06:07:09 PM

As for the Flag, I think it does look a wee bit on the communist side but I luv the enthusiasm!

Moraline

I'm also opening the floor to having the other questions answered by people that have already participated. Please just one answer at a time and try to only answer one a day. (That means one extra starting right now.)

Ember Star

LOL. like I said, I was just fooling around trying to do something different actually and randomly threw that together using the Chinese colors. Didn't put any thought beyond that
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Oldknight

Well maybe you can reverse the colors and see how that looks

Chrystal

Hmmm

Morocco:

Might be worth making sure any flag we pick doesn't already exist first?

http://www.flags.net/mainindex.htm

Ember Star

Chrystal

Quote from: Tenshinhan on December 30, 2013, 06:46:47 PM
Well maybe you can reverse the colors and see how that looks

A red star on a gold field, actually would look interesting, but how about a blue star on gold?

Or a gold star on pale blue?

Oh I have it! Dark ble at the bottom, light blue at the top with a gold star in the middle. Symbolic!

Ember Star

Only because it took me 30 seconds

Reversed Colors

I can do any of those other ideas too if one is popular

Xerial

Got beat to the punch on the UN one, but I was going to propose that they have not yet gained admission to the UN on the basis of being blocked by several members of the Security Council. A dispute of their territorial claims by China, and positioning by the USA for a strategic alliance with Zan'an post-Independence would have the UN Assembly locked down from formally accepting them as a member. Their independence in 1990 from a joint US/Australian occupation would be recognized by the Assembly, however. It would be a matter of acceptance to the UN itself that would be in flux.

Moraline

Quote from: Xerial on December 30, 2013, 07:40:00 PM
Got beat to the punch on the UN one, but I was going to propose that they have not yet gained admission to the UN on the basis of being blocked by several members of the Security Council. A dispute of their territorial claims by China, and positioning by the USA for a strategic alliance with Zan'an post-Independence would have the UN Assembly locked down from formally accepting them as a member. Their independence in 1990 from a joint US/Australian occupation would be recognized by the Assembly, however. It would be a matter of acceptance to the UN itself that would be in flux.
Since Angel Fire answered the question already, I'll leave it up to them if they wish to change their answer about the UN admission.

Did you have another question that you'd like to give us the answer for?

Angel Fire

Quote from: Xerial on December 30, 2013, 07:40:00 PM

My original answer still stays but...

Please add all of Xerial's explanation into the answer!  You certainly read my mind, Xerial! *Hugs*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Oldknight

3. Celebrations (local and not ones from other places)

March 4: National Day, an anniversary of the day in 1946 when the island was liberated from Japan as well as the day in 1990 when they gained their current independence in 1990. A day where people celebrate with parties,fireworks.

July 24: Xi Qin Day: an anniversary of the discovery of the island as well as the first settlement,as well as the first dynasty which ruled the island for a few hundred years. This day people celebrate with large parties where they cook traditional foods of the island.

September 13, Junzi a spray where people are encouraged to do acts of public kindness stared off as a Confucianism Holiday

December 3: Feast Date of St. Xavier,large day for catholic population of island as St.Xavier is the patron saint of the island, a day of celebration (actually a real holiday but figured it would fit as a bigger thing here)

Moraline

Quote from: Tenshinhan on December 30, 2013, 09:35:36 PM
3. Celebrations (local and not ones from other places)

March 4: National Day, an anniversary of the day in 1946 when the island was liberated from Japan as well as the day in 1990 when they gained their current independence in 1990. A day where people celebrate with parties,fireworks.

July 24: Xi Qin Day: an anniversary of the discovery of the island as well as the first settlement,as well as the first dynasty which ruled the island for a few hundred years. This day people celebrate with large parties where they cook traditional foods of the island.

September 13, Junzi a spray where people are encouraged to do acts of public kindness stared off as a Confucianism Holiday

December 3: Feast Date of St. Xavier,large day for catholic population of island as St.Xavier is the patron saint of the island, a day of celebration (actually a real holiday but figured it would fit as a bigger thing here)
Tenshinhan, where did you get this question and number from?

The only cultural thing I have listed so far is number 9. Number 3 is how large is the population.
Quote from: Moraline on December 29, 2013, 03:15:47 PM
9.  Give me one major cultural event (with details) that takes place here?
Also, I'm still a bit confused about the demographics and the percentages on the nationalities. Would it be possible for you to break down the %'s for me so I can update that section?

Ember Star

I'm confused by all of it! *gets those little cartoon dizzy birds and falls over* @.@ LOL

Oldknight

Demographics
A) Courtesy of Tenshinhan
Nationality:
15 percent Chinese, this number has grown a lot since 1990 and the immigration of fishermen looking for jobs. 
15 percent Korean mostly those who came to the island over the years for fishing. 
5 percent Japanese, part of the group who never went home and used the islands favorable position to gain in trade. 
5 percent Southern Asia Philippines Vietnamese etc who come to the island for work.
10 percent American/Aussie businessmen or are connected to the US military outpost on the island.
30 percent mixed as intermarriage has been common over the years between all of the major groups
3 percent Indian a group who came like those from Philippines who came in search of work
12 percent Taiwanese arrived after the Chinese Civil War and the displacement by some by the ROC as well as looking for work.
5 percent Native . 

Yes sorry number 9

Chrystal

10: One major celebrity...

Name: Lia Tun

Acheivements: Last year, Australian open, unseeded wild card, Quarter finals, knocking out Venus Williams. French Open, seeded 8th, quarer finals. Stella Artois, seeded 9th, semi finals. Wimbledon, seeded 8th, final, second place. US Open, seeded 8th, final, second place.

This year so far, Australian open, seeded 4th, win. French open, seeded 2nd, win.

Lia is a fast rising star in the world of international tennis. Something of a prodigy, she was inspired by watching Wimbledon on the BBC World Service as a tweenager and decided she would do that. She has worked hard and pushed herself, ever since. Her dream is a grand slam and an Olympic gold medal.

Her parents, who are quite wealthy, have supported her dream, and are so proud of her that they can even forgive her taking after many other female tennis players...

(I would actually have no problem whatever playing her as my character...)

Moraline

Quote from: Ember Star on December 30, 2013, 10:05:12 PM
I'm confused by all of it! *gets those little cartoon dizzy birds and falls over* @.@ LOL
I had a feeling that it would get a bit confusing too. That's why I'm doing my best to keep up and keep the summary going on the 2nd post of the thread.  When in doubt, reread post #2.  I'm also crossing off the questions in the first post to show which ones have been answered.

@Everyone
I'll do my best to keep the first couple posts updated with any changes and our answers. 

Remember that we can go back and start answering the unanswered questions now.

We'll move into creating player characters soon.

*is updating info with Tenshinhan, and Crystal's updates...*

Moraline

Quote from: Angel Fire on December 30, 2013, 08:41:53 PM
My original answer still stays but...

Please add all of Xerial's explanation into the answer!  You certainly read my mind, Xerial! *Hugs*
Can you rewrite it so I can update it. Thanks

Chrystal

Quote from: Chrystal on December 31, 2013, 06:18:49 AM
(I would actually have no problem whatever playing her as my character...)

Quote from: Moraline on December 31, 2013, 08:36:02 AM
We'll move into creating player characters soon.

I realise you weren't necessarily referring to that, but it was just a random thought that she would make an interesting character to play in this context. However, I should probably make a different character when we get to it.