News:

Main Menu

Destiny

Started by Callie Del Noire, February 19, 2013, 09:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Bungie Site
Game Spot Article

Well I finally heard about 'Tiger' .. Bungie's new big game idea. And they didn't go small. Not at all. I mean.. Destiny sounds very very post apocalypse.. definitely BIG.

Monfang

There's also a lot of doubletalk going on from them.

It's not an MMO, but it's a 'shared world' FPS. They didn't exactly explain how it is a 'shared world'.

Koren

From the explaination I saw its like drop in drop out co-op but in an RPG style, so people can come into your world and play with you and then leave again etc etc

I would love to be hyped for this game except for two things: While I dont doubt Bungies development and sheer love for games, nor their ability to deliver a great product, to be honest there was nothing special about halo except for the aesthetics, the universe and style as it were. Mechanically it was a linear simple FPS with the same old gun types but in a different skin. Yes it brought amazing things back into multiplayer, and people love the world of it, but I want someone to come up with brillant new gameplay and mechanics, not just style (i have the same complaint with bioshock, very basic at its core, its all aesthetics, but my complaints of that are on a lesser scale)
Ive been let down by too many potentially great games lately and my enthusiasm for announcements has died because of that.

I will admit im intrigued as to where they go for it and the concepts look amazing, but we will wait and see where it goes I think. A bit too early to judge anything until we get proper gameplay and engine shots

Chris Brady

It's also not very original.  An unknown alien species comes down and grants us unimaginable tech and a golden age occurs (Mass Effect anyone?), and some other, potentially alien force comes along and nearly destroys us, now we have to rely on post human badasses to help defeat it (Halo anyone?)

And yeah, 'Shared World FPS' IS an MMO.  Which brings up another point, how can anyone be a 'hero' when you have thousands and hundreds of thousands on the same, 'gifted' individuals on at the same time with you?  You're no 'hero' (As in only man/woman to save the universe), you're a soldier (not that this is bad, just doesn't help their cause.)  And frankly, I've seen the ViDoc (it's on Gametrailers.com, among other places) and...  All we saw were art pieces, some figures running urgently somewhere and a spaceship flying.  We know next to nothing about what the game is.  We don't know the threat we're facing, what the point of the game is...

In the end, they talked a lot, but said very little.  Not impressed.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Monfang

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 19, 2013, 09:49:11 AM
It's also not very original.  An unknown alien species comes down and grants us unimaginable tech and a golden age occurs (Mass Effect anyone?), and some other, potentially alien force comes along and nearly destroys us, now we have to rely on post human badasses to help defeat it (Halo anyone?)

And yeah, 'Shared World FPS' IS an MMO.  Which brings up another point, how can anyone be a 'hero' when you have thousands and hundreds of thousands on the same, 'gifted' individuals on at the same time with you?  You're no 'hero' (As in only man/woman to save the universe), you're a soldier (not that this is bad, just doesn't help their cause.)  And frankly, I've seen the ViDoc (it's on Gametrailers.com, among other places) and...  All we saw were art pieces, some figures running urgently somewhere and a spaceship flying.  We know next to nothing about what the game is.  We don't know the threat we're facing, what the point of the game is...

You must watch Totalbiscut, he said much of the same thing.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 19, 2013, 09:49:11 AM

I remember what it was like back in the day (circa late 90s) when they first announced Halo.. pretty much the same feel. I think they are going for a drop in/out multiplayer model over MMO is a good thing. You can do stuff on your own, interact with others, set your own pace. I'm not convinced YET.. but it is evidence that SOMEONE is looking at a different model for gaming. (or at least willing to look back to other options beyond things like CoD)

I'm gonna watch..and wait. Clearly there is more to it than Bungie is showing at the moment.

Shjade

It could be something like Borderlands multiplayer, or it could be Dark Souls-esque, or a number of other options that don't add up to MMO material.

Was I the only one who found it funny that one of Chris's examples of how the game's plot isn't very original involved pointing out how it resembles another game's plot that was also made by Bungie? Similar game design from the same studio, what a shock! ;p

After watching the video, to me, it sounds almost like an AU Marathon game, one where Durandal's suppression of the Pfhor doesn't turn out so well and the aftermath of his defeat, even if in "death" he managed to provide some protection for Earth in his shadow.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Monfang on February 19, 2013, 09:52:04 AM
You must watch Totalbiscut, he said much of the same thing.

Had to look him up, and no I don't. I'm not a cynic when it comes to video games at least.  I'm not going to deny that it will be very likely a lot of fun.  It's just for some great reveal of a project they've been working on for about years (They said they came up with this in '09) I didn't even see actual alpha gameplay footage.

Talked a lot, said nothing.

Quote from: Shjade on February 19, 2013, 01:02:50 PM
It could be something like Borderlands multiplayer, or it could be Dark Souls-esque, or a number of other options that don't add up to MMO material.

Co-Op isn't revolutionary, especially not in a FPS, and Dark Souls was badly done and confusing, FROM Software admitted that.

QuoteWas I the only one who found it funny that one of Chris's examples of how the game's plot isn't very original involved pointing out how it resembles another game's plot that was also made by Bungie? Similar game design from the same studio, what a shock! ;p

Is it wrong of me to want something new?  Something that isn't a blatant lack of imagination as yet another sci-fi shooter?

Is it wrong of me to want Bungie to be more than a one trick pony?

QuoteAfter watching the video, to me, it sounds almost like an AU Marathon game, one where Durandal's suppression of the Pfhor doesn't turn out so well and the aftermath of his defeat, even if in "death" he managed to provide some protection for Earth in his shadow.
Not getting the reference, sorry.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sex Bobomb

From what I understood, it'll work very similarly to the original Guild Wars. In that, there will be a "HUB city" of sorts, that is shared, as a sort of social lounge. You then group up, either with friends (via the XBL friends list) or randoms (likely through some in game menu). While the concept in and of itself isn't exactly original, it most certainly is original for consoles. And while co-op style things have been done with the likes for Borderlands, they weren't done quite in this fashion.

Also, let's keep in mind that they were speaking mostly about the universe here. Most of what we know about gameplay and mechanics comes from second hand interviews from media outlets.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 19, 2013, 02:33:51 PM
Not getting the reference, sorry.

Marathon was the FPS series Bungie made prior to Halo, one with a story that was in many ways reminiscent of that which was later developed for Halo (though any continuity is denied by Bungie themselves).

Here is a link to more than you ever wanted to know about a game's plot and references.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

owen84

There dose looks like very little. I'm not complaining I find when there is to much HYPE they always fail to deliver. Im going to sit back and judge it when its released.
Why is it that only in death do we truly learn about life.

Valthazar

I found this thread through searching.  Is anyone else playing this game? 

I just got it a few days ago and, so far, having fun with it.  I like that the single player campaign isn't "easy" by any means, though it does become a little repetitive after a while.

I haven't played much of the multiplayer since I need to level up a bit more.

Inkidu

Having done a little research it's an MMOFPS, they can talk out the sides of their collective mouths about it all day, but that's what it is.

Its universe just doesn't capture me like the Halo universe did though. I mean it's sci-fantasy, but they still wanted to go sort of harder sci-fi... like they wimped out halfway through, but that's my opinion.

EDIT: I was under the impression that Destiny had no single-player campaign.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Formless

Quote from: Inkidu on September 23, 2014, 05:33:35 PM

I thought the same about every FPS. ::)

But I tried it for a little bit ... Just doesn't feel good for me.

But then again , I'm a Call of Duty kind of player so ... yeah.

Inkidu

Quote from: Formless on September 23, 2014, 05:37:14 PM
I thought the same about every FPS. ::)

But I tried it for a little bit ... Just doesn't feel good for me.

But then again , I'm a Call of Duty kind of player so ... yeah.
No I thought when the servers went down Destiny would no longer be playable. Multiplayer only. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Formless

I thought single player can be played offline?

I don't know much about Destiny , but if its anything under Activision's distribution , single should still be playable while offline. Campaign modes anyway.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on September 23, 2014, 05:33:35 PM
There isn't.  You can solo it, but it's built to be played with people on the same server at the very least, and played with a minimum of two other friends.  There is no offline mode.

Valthazar

Yeah sorry, I meant the co-op campaign, I haven't teamed up with any friends yet though.  Maybe I can find some buddies here to play with - I have the PS3 version.  I got the digital download, so that way I can get the PS4 version for free later on.

Auctor

If I may I am a level 22 hunter in the game and after thoroughly exploring it I am not happy with it I had a long talk with a friend of mine about this so this is the collective from what we encountered. RPG- as my friend pointed out is a failure it gives you no choice and no possible way to change the outcome on any aspect of the story. Also hardly any character customization I have more choices in 10 year old games than this one (another point from my friend). PVP- this one is a big deal with me. I like the PVP system they have in place but it is so basic it hurts with hardly any maps and very little gaming style I find it to have less PVP aspects than most shooters. Also as far as I'm aware there is no dueling method (please correct me if I'm wrong) and that seriously hinders a PVP setting on a mathematical level since you cannot see what you do on a 1v1 scenario. Then no multiple tier levels of gear you get your one set then your done,  MMO- as my friend pointed out the communication in destiny between players is weak and I agree. However, as someone who has always enjoyed MMOs I personally have some serious issues. First off there is no trading as far as I can tell this really gets to me because in most MMO format games it is a major part of character interaction there is even one now that has no vendors and is the market is completely based on player trade. The next problem I have is story based with MMOs they need to have player opposing sides to keep the lore interesting right now it is you are the good guys they are bad shoot them for the glory of the traveler and the awoken who they have done almost nothing with, it makes for boring game lore. As for the overall concept there is 3 classes with I think a total of 6 sub-classes; that's not a lot to work with in investing in your character it dull to say the least. I know my review may sound harsh but a company cannot come out and say this is the future of gaming and then release this game. Thank you for your time let me know what you think .

Inkidu

Mmm... you know I were making an exclusively multiplayer shooter, there'd a be a lot freaking maps. That just seems like a no brainer. I guess they want to sell map packs.

Formless

Often times I wonder how much do maps take from a blueray's space?

Though too many maps for a multiplayer game can't be a good idea as the community usually have ' favorites '.

They always tend to choose the map they do better at. Which means some maps will be discarded or unvoted for most of the times.

Heck games with only 16 maps at launch have 2-3 maps that are barely played.

Auctor

I can see that but it needs more than 3 in my opinion.

Slywyn

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9749-Destiny-Review-Bungies-Halo-Followup Yahtzee 'reviews' Destiny.

And Angry Joe as well.

www.youtube.com/embed/gzopWRXK_r4

Neither is very promising.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Inkidu

From what I've read it has very engaging gameplay, but the execution leaves a helluva lot to be desired.

Slywyn

That's pretty much what Angry Joe says. The gameplay is good, everything else is mediocre or bad.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.