News:

Main Menu

What Is Beauty?

Started by adventurer, January 05, 2009, 09:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurer

Club of Amsterdam, a very innovative, creative and open.minded one brought this compilation of quotes about beauty. Very interesting and true, as I find:

www.clubofamsterdam.com

.Quotes about Beauty

"Beauty?... To me it is a word without sense because I do not know where its meaning comes from nor where it leads to." ~ Pablo Picasso

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"Beauty comes as much from the mind as from the eye." ~ Grey Livingston

" Fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it ever six months." ~ Oscar Wilde

"Perfect sincerity and transparency make a great part of beauty, as in dewdrops, lakes, and diamonds." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"A woman who cannot be ugly is not beautiful." ~ Karl Kraus

"You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing." ~ Marie Stopes

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason." ~ John Cage

"Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all." ~ William Somerset Maugham

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." ~ John Muir

"Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty - they merely move it from their faces into their hearts." ~ Martin Buxbaum

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness." ~ Leo Tolstoy
"I don't like standard beauty - there is no beauty without strangeness." ~ Karl Lagerfeld

"The fact of the matter is that you can use your beauty and use your charm and be flirtatious, and you can get people interested in your beauty. But you cannot maintain that. In the end, talent is the only thing. My work is the only thing that's going to change any minds." ~ Madonna

Yves Saint Laurent infused his label with his creative genius, elegant and refined personality, discreet and distinguished, during a half century of work, in both luxury and ready-to-wear, because he was convinced that beauty was a necessary luxury for all men and all women.

"Love of Beauty is taste, Creation of beauty is Art." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds." ~ Coco Chanel

"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within." ~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

"Beauty is one of the rare things that do not lead to doubt of God." ~ Jean Anouilh

"Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself. Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise." ~ Marcus Aurelius

"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears." ~ Edgar Allen Poe

"It is not sufficient to see and to know the beauty of a work. We must feel and be affected by it." ~ Voltaire
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

jouzinka

Quote from: adventurer on January 05, 2009, 09:05:48 AM
"A woman who cannot be ugly is not beautiful." ~ Karl Kraus

"You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing." ~ Marie Stopes

"It is not sufficient to see and to know the beauty of a work. We must feel and be affected by it." ~ Voltaire

I'm absolutely lovin' these. :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Lilias

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty; that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

~John Keats

The rest is just fluff 8)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Quote" Fashion is merely a form of ugliness so unbearable that we are compelled to alter it ever six months." ~ Oscar Wilde

Gotta love Wilde - and with some of the fashion 'statements' I've seen, he's so right.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

They sound nice, but I wonder how many people actually take stock in these?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

adventurer

Mathim,

you are on spot as far as the crowds must be adressed.

These statements are not only nice, but utterly real for everybody who grows, evolves and open for big horizones in life. No matter if women or men.

Does not exclude exterior beauty to be found in the media and magazines. But adds truth, happiness and deep joy. And real creative punching power. Not for the fainthearted:):) lol...
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Dashenka

Beauty is what makes us. Beauty is what draws us closer to each other. You can not love somebody without finding that one beautiful. Beauty is what makes the earth go 'round and beauty is what keeps us alive.

Some say love is more important than beauty but nobody can love somebody without finding that other person beautiful. Beauty is balanced because what I found beautiful, somebody else does not and vice versa.

Of the most important things in life, Love and Money, Beauty is the most important.

Money can't buy Love and Love does not make you rich. Beauty does it both. You can be loved and it makes you rich.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

anon

Heh. Here's a bit more...

"A soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone." -Johann von Goeth

And this is as true of the society as I've seen (though I'm generalizing quite a lot here):

"It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart."

But it seems that:

"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

adventurer

I like especially the Tolstoi quote.
....)
(Plato)

anon

Mm. Though I also believe that the goodness in your heart reflects in your face in an entirely different sort of beauty. =]
Ons/Offs ~ Absences
Disclaimer (thanks Caeli xP): I am NOT a kitty...just...kitty-like.
"I never trust a sneaky pussy." - Paradox

adventurer

Yes.thats right.

But this insight is already given in the spectrum of the other quotes.

Tolstoi knew from his own life as attractive man, global bestseller author and genius what he said.

It is a bold statment especially in the context of his own life.
(Plato)

Zeitgeist

Quote from: adventurer on January 05, 2009, 09:05:48 AM

"The fact of the matter is that you can use your beauty and use your charm and be flirtatious, and you can get people interested in your beauty. But you cannot maintain that. In the end, talent is the only thing. My work is the only thing that's going to change any minds." ~ Madonna

I thought Madonna's quote was interesting. Kind of self absorbed. The question of 'beauty' wasn't necessarily about her. But perhaps that shouldn't be surprising coming from a pop entertainer.