A Game of Thrones: Intrigue at Ravensmoor Keep (CLOSED)

Started by Zillah, April 16, 2013, 03:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirliel

Ah.. and here I was wanting to get to see Tyrion macing people..  :-(

Just kidding, but that would be a good starting point for my character. Nothing too fancy, just a battlefield commission, maybe he was knighted for his service, saving some Reach noble, after all Knighthoods don't always come with lands in Westeros do they?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

RedEve

No problem whatsoever with you playing Lord Manfred, I sorta had figured as much. ;)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Zillah

Quote from: Lirliel on April 17, 2013, 03:15:57 PM
Nothing too fancy, just a battlefield commission, maybe he was knighted for his service, saving some Reach noble, after all Knighthoods don't always come with lands in Westeros do they?

Absolutely. After all, that's how Bronn became "Ser Bronn of the Blackwater."

Lirliel

Ah.. good to know, as for a suitable name, Ser Harras of the Blackwater?
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Lirliel on April 17, 2013, 02:53:18 PM
I'm also quite intrigued, though I do not have the rules, perhaps somebody has them somewhere I can.. 'acquire' them.

Anyhoo, my idea as far as my playing character went. I was thinking perhaps starting as a Hedge Knight, come a 'knockin to Lord Manfred's door in search for a place at his court. Perhaps the man has come with Kolbrandr's son.

Just throwing ideas out there.

I'd be perfectly cool with something like that. Maybe they've spent some time together roaming about, and your guy recently picked up a knighthood of his own at Blackwater, some such thing.

Lirliel

Aye that sounds like a proper way to start it, as for roaming together, how about they both fought at the BotB and then when your character decided to head for home, Ser Harras figured, "Meh might as well go with, his dad might need another Sword"

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Zillah on April 17, 2013, 03:09:58 PM
Your tentative interest is noted - yes, you can stake claim to the role, should we move forward. :) Two other players have expressed interest in playing Lord Manfred's sons, which is fine, so I don't have any issue with someone else expressing interest in the wife.

Also, keep in mind that I'll most likely be playing Manfred - if that's a problem, just let me know.

Lirliel -

A hedge knight would be a wonderful addition. As a point of note (for you, and for everyone else), this RP would be starting shortly after the Battle of the Blackwater. I imagine some heroes from that battle who fought under the banners of Casterly Rock and Highgarden against Stannis Baratheon would be returning to Ravensmoor around this time.

Just to ask, so the conceptual idea is alright? I tend to picture him at 23 or so, and that he's been out in the world since 15-16 (it was a particularly /bad/ fight, the kind where vicious things were said in the way that only family can say to each other with devastating enough effect, and he just booked afterwards and managed to live through his time afterwards. I'm still pondering what to make it over, just want to make sure the rough idea is okay). He's probably if the kids top out at mid twenties something like the second or third son or some such thing.

RedEve

Has the decision of system vs. freeform been made yet?
If not, I would like to express my personal preference for freeform.

Zillah

Kolbrandr - that's fine. That actually works well with kckolbe's character concept as well, as that age range positions yours well to be a younger son.

I leave it to you to determine the reason for the fallout between Manfred and your character; if he's been gone for so long, though, he wouldn't have met the new wife, though, which could be interesting ... ::)

RedEve - not sure yet. Some people who've expressed their interest in this RP haven't given an indication as to which way they'd go yet.

So I'll just ask quickly, to everyone who's expressed interest: please indicate your preference for either freeform or system rp, and if the choice will be a dealbreaker (i.e., if the game is a system rp and you wanted freeform, you wouldn't have any interest in playing.) Also, I'll accept "I don't care either way" as an answer ... but then I don't want to hear complaining later if you don't like the final choice. ;)

Kolbrandr

Oh, my preference is system then, and with as little enmity as possible and just to be honest, it is a dealbreaker for me, I'm really not into freeform.

Lirliel

Like I said before, I don't mind the system if it's a good system and I can get it somewhere for free, because paying for stuff is kinda hard right now. Cash = Hard to get stuff.

If not able, then I humbly request it be Freeform.

RedEve

My experience with system games is limited.
So I am very much in favor of freeform.
I am willing to try to wrap my mind around the system if it's reasonably easy to understand.

ff

Freeform preferred here. It's a dealbreaker for me (as I have no familiarity with this particular system nor the aptitude/time to learn it.)

EDIT: withdraw my vote, my other RPs have picked up pace, and soo I may not be able to join more at all.

Kythia

Somewhere in between "freeform" and "I don't care".  Obviously not a deal breaker.

kckolbe

Kolbrandr, I have no problem playing my char as older, as I generally prefer them to be in the 25-35 range.  I definitely prefer system, as games with conflict just aren't as fun without the mechanics.  I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker, but I would have to really like how things are developing to continue as freeform.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RedEve

Zillah

Based on the posted feedback, and what I've gotten via PMs, I think this is going to be a freeform game, not a system game. I won't be using the ASOIAF rpg rules for this particular game.

However ... I can't say this will be a truly systemless game. While I'm fine for freeform play in terms of social interaction (and, to be honest, prefer it), that simply doesn't work for me when swords are drawn. I don't like the idea of "narrative combat" - there needs to be a more formalized structure for it. If two characters wind up fighting each other, I'd like something a little more intricate than "roll dice, high number is the winner."

I think only characters that expressly have combat experience would need this system. For example, the way I imagine Manfred's sister, she's something of a lazy, drunken lush - she's barely worked a day in her life, let alone picked up a sword. It's safe to say that if a hedge knight pulls a sword on her, she's dead. The combat system-stuff would only apply to characters who would logically have in-character experience with weapons and fighting, based on their background.

I'm going to see if I can put something simple together, and post it here later tonight.

For those who wanted a system-based RP, I hope this might work for you. If not, I completely understand, and I thank you for your participation and input.

RedEve

I think this is a good compromise between those who want a combat-oriented character and those who don't. :)

azzmeister89

I'll get in on this, each time i have placed interest in a GoT rp its kinnda fallen through

EDIT: a bastard from the reach would be named Flowers right? its been a while since i read them and have only just made a start on the second run of book 1

Kythia

Lirliel

Yes basic surnames for Noble Bastards.

North: Snow
Riverlands: Rivers
Vale: Stone
The Reach: Flowers
Westerlands: Hill
Iron Islands: Pyke
Dorne: Sand
Crownlands: Waters
Stormlands: Storm

Just y'know FYI

Marie Reynolds

So Who would be interested in making ties with a Red Priestess of the Lord of Light who was sent out to learn about Essos with an Asshai merchant caravan and while visiting Lhazar city and a Dothraki horde appeared and was taken as a tribute to avoid a conflict and was traded in slavers bay and was maybe liberated by one of the women's father or other relatives and gifted as a hand maiden to serve that person and remains loyal due to a Vision from the Lord of Light about this women and a important role she will play. If any would like to fill this role please post here or pm me.

azzmeister89

you could have ties with my character, he's one of Robert Baratheon's bastards from the Tyrell family but his mother was married into the tyrells from the Karstarks so he's often nicknamed "snow drop" due to his northen ties to nobility as well, i'll have it that he is currently Manfred's ward

curtsie

I'd like to play the eldest son who is eager for glory and will gladly follow his fathers plans if they lead to war, but is slowly developing a dangerous affection for his fathers young wife if that's alright.

RedEve

Any news on this game?
Has been quiet from the GM front for the last couple of days.