Winter's Bite (D&D 5th Ed) Recruiting/Interest

Started by Paladin101, December 15, 2017, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin101

Winter's Bite

The Frost Peak Mountains have long stood as a barrier between the settlements of the border country, and the hungry, howling hordes of the northern tundra. Their rocky depths have served to house a nation of dwarves, who have patrolled the mountain pass and try their best to keep raiding parties from the north from crossing over. Now however, the winds of winter are beginning to howl. Raiding parties have slipped over the mountains in such numbers that the dwarves have lost several outposts, their griffon riders are the only thing allowing them to reinforce besieged mountain holds, and the lowlands beyond the mountains have begun to feel the bite of the monstrous hordes who live beyond the mountains!

An oracle from the Sunshire Abbey has forseen that this change of tactics is merely the first sign of dangers to come. She has declared that soon the frost will sweep over the mountains and freeze all of the north! At first, none took her serious. Then, her first warning sign came to pass. The city of Khelben's Climb, which stood between Karak'Rhun and Blackwater Harbor, was over run by hobgoblins and frost giants. The beasts rode an avalanche out of the mountains, and for a week, the entire area became locked in winter, as the war horns of the giants rang out across the valley. By the time the local lords could rally troops and march to the aid of the city, it had already been razed to the ground, a thawing horror to warn all of what was to come.

So now a call has gone out from Lord Victus Blackwater, asking for heroes to rally at Blackwater Harbor, where they can set out to investigate this strange northern threat, and find the source of this sudden aggression and organization among their foes...

--------------------------------------------

Places of Note:
[/size]

Blackwater Harbor-City:
      Population: 22,000 (80% Human, 5% Halfling, 5% Dwarves, 3% Elves, 3% Gnomes, 4% Other)

Blackwater Harbor is the largest city in the region. It is home  to the Wave Rider's, a band of mercenaries who serve as a mounted peace keeping force on the roads. The Wave Rider's have suffered heavy casualties lately, and have been less frequent in their patrols than in the past. The city is the center of trade and is the main source of imports for the region. Merchant princes have grand houses here, while the docks are surrounded by warehouses and slums. The city runs the entire spectrum, and is a place where a fortune can be made, or your life can be lost. Lord Victus Blackwater is the Baron who rules here, and while he is aging, he still keeps his hand firmly upon the tiller. His two sons, Celwynn and Portus, have been eagerly vying for his approval as they seek to make names for themselves and assure their place as the next Baron Blackwater.

Sunshire Abbey- Town
     Population: 6,000 (70% Human, 10% Elves, 5% Dragonborn, 5% Dwarves, 3% Half-Elves, 2% Halflings, 5% Other)

A town which exists purely to support the Abbey, Sunshire was said to have been founded 1,000 years ago by a follower of Renak who received a premonition that on this site, an abbey must rest for the safekeeping of the future. So the cleric moved here with his disciples, formed the abbey, and began their works of selfless healing and aid giving to the surrounding towns, slowly making this Abbey into the center of religion for the region. While it is dedicated to Renak, it holds shrines and worship areas for the other Gods of Light and Twilight. The Dawnguard paladin order have a base here, with 20 paladins assigned to safeguard this abbey from any who should threaten it. Abbot Atheras, a half elf, has been the head of the Abbey for 40 years, he is a kind, gentle man, who is uncertain of how he can defend the people from the dangers the oracle speaks of...

Karak'Rhun - Citadel
    Population: 10,000 (90% Dwarf, 10% Other)

Karak'Rhun is a citadel built across the mouth of the Frostwind Gorge, the only pass easily navigated through the mountains. It is the permanent home to 6,000 dwarven soldiers, and 3,000 dwarves who support them, with another 1,000 volunteer soldiers from surrounding cities. This is the only accessible point to interact with the dwarves of Amyr'Krys who live spread throughout the mountain range. Here they have markets and embassies, and here they work tirelessly to defend the rest of the borderlands from the frozen horrors to the north.

Stoneshadow - Village
    Population: 900 (50% Goliath, 50% Rock Gnome)

Stoneshadow is a strange village, migratory goliaths decided it would be in their favor to have a place to winter, or at least send their elderly when they could no longer keep up with the herd. A clan of gnomes had been travelling and seeking a safe place to settle down. From a meeting of these two very different cultures sprang the town of Stoneshadow, which is both the source of strange machines, and a well defended farmstead which holds a constantly rotating population of goliaths.

Reedbend Shallows - Town
    Population: 7,000 (50% Human, 20% Half Orc, 10% Half Elf, 5% Halfling, 5% Dragonborn, 5% Other)

A town of cut throats and shady deals, Reedbend Shallows is a town built within a swamp where no one asks about your former life, so long as you're able to work, or at least pay enough coin to make it look like you do.

Moonglade - City
     Population: 12,000 (98% Elves, 2% Other)

A city of starlight and sylvan architecture, Moonglade is built into the forest seamlessly. The elves have never bothered much with what transpires to the north, aside from occasionally sending some archers to Karak'Rhun to aid in the defense of the vale. Now however they are becoming agitated, raids have been crossing the mountains and entering their holy woods! Ancient oaks and elms who have lived longer than even the eldest of the eldar, have been torn asunder and carried back over the mountains by invading hobgoblins and giants. They do not know what is transpiring, but they are beginning to mobilize to defend their home.

The Gods

The Pantheon of the world is split between three distinct groups of gods. The God's of Light, who are good and kind, and have the well being of mortals firmly in mind. The God's of Twilight, deities who are more primal, forces of nature or the cosmos, beings who are concerned not so much with right or wrong, as they are with what is right for their portfolio of influence. The Gods of Darknes, the Dark Ones, are beings whose names have been wiped from the histories and all but the most closely guarded of religious texts. It is the belief that without worship they will not gain power, so it is through ignorance that the God's of Light and Twilight seek to protect the world from the Dark Ones. There are whispers of what their identities may be, but in many cases, they are merely powerful mortal, or immortal, beings who have attained a level of power an infamy so great as to appear divine.

The Gods of Light

Julidar: God of Justice, Judgement, and Righteousness
A stern deity who calls for his followers to seek out justice for all, to give proper judgement upon those who commit wrong acts, and maintain the order of society. Often seen as the Father of the God’s, he leads the God’s of Light, and even the God’s of Twilight bend to his wishes. His clerics are known as Arbiters, and his paladins are called Justicars.

Madrena: Goddess of the Earth, Fertility, the Harvest, and family
The loving mother, she blesses the earth and watches over the families of the common man. She is the one prayed to when times are hard, and hunger bites the bellies of children.

Renak: God of Light, Healing and Prophecy
A benevolent deity who shines his radiance on those lost in darkness, believing no soul is so lost that it cannot be redeemed and brought back to the light. He is often perceived as a tortured deity, who gives of himself to heal the weak and downtrodden, and in so doing, takes up their pain as his own. He also is associated with the Vision, the capacity to foretell the future. His church has the most extensive collection of prophecies in the world.

Taknar: God of Guardians, Protection, and Duty
A quiet, steadfast sentinel. Taknar leads through example, acting as guardian at the Far Gates against the great void, and standing steadfast against the Dark Ones who would seek to slay the Light. His duty is never ending, his war never ending, yet never does he complain, never does he ask to be given a reprieve.

The Gods of Twilight

Kranok: God of Shadows, Secrets, and Deception
Often seen as the patron of thieves and spies, Kranok revels in knowing things no one else knows, in discovering secrets and hoarding them in the Library of Shadows. He is one of the three gods said to be there when you die, Merind carries you forth to the Hall of Judgement, Julidar sits and places your sins and your acts of good upon his scales, and then Kranok whispers the secrets not recorded in the ledger of your life, tilting the scales one way or the other, and then Merind ushers you off to your place of eternal rest.

Viotar: God of War and Tactics
A god who revels in war and combat, Viotar cares not if he is defending or destroying, so long as he is fighting! He is not fond of thoughtless conflict however, his truest favor shows on those who act with proper strategy, honing the weapons of body and mind!

Merind: Goddess of Death and Fate
The force of death, Merind is often depicted as a slender, pale young woman draped in a black dress and veil of mourning, with eyes that see to the core of your soul. She views undeath as the ultimate abomination, believing in the sanctity of the rest you have earned once moving beyond this life. She is not cruel or capricious, she is simply a force of nature, a thing that is and must be.

Kerinos: God of Chaos, Mischief, and Wanderlust
The trickster, Kerinos is the patron of wanderers and pilgrims, forever walking the paths and roads and forgotten trails of this world and others. Kerinos loves pranks, loves trickery and random chance, loves the sights of new things! He is good natured, but often causes more trouble than he intends, or is even aware of.

Remulos: God of Knowledge, Learning, and the Written Word
The scribe of the gods, he records all that occurs within his sight in the world, acting to gather all knowledge to his side and record it, endeavoring to preserve it even beyond the death of the gods themselves. Nothing is more important to Remulos that the preservation of learning and rediscovery of lost works from forgotten ages past.

Ashalon & Aberak: Twin Gods of Magic and Creation
Legend says Aberak began to work the skeins of creation alone, forging the lives and existence of creatures, men, mountains and seas, making all that exists and constantly churning forth new and unknowable creations into the cosmos. Soon though the web he wove grew unstable, something else wove around it, unbalanced it, threw chaos into the mix and threatened to destroy creation. So his brother Ashalon came to look at what he forged, and his eye perceived the Weave, the line of mana and power that flowed from reality to reality. Quickly his fingers stretched out to intertwine this new Weave into the web of Creation, forging the Skein, anchoring existence with reality altering magics from the Weave, and thus tying this world to all the other dimensions. Now these two brothers remain locked in eternal creation, balancing the Skein of Existence between them.

Arador: God of Fortune & Luck
The younger and more fickle brother of Ashalon & Aberak, Arador delights in the flip of the coin, of unknowable chance! He spends a great deal of time with Kerinos when he can, having found a kindred soul in their love of chaos and chance! Arador also loves to see things that shine, and many believe that the draconic lust for wealth was somehow given to them by Arador, for he urges his followers to gather as much wealth as they can in life. However, he also urges them to take chances with their money, to do more than simply store it away, you must invest, gamble, seek to make it grow!

Teleros: God of the Sea and Storm
A turbulent and fickle god, Teleros is prayed to by sailors and fishermen, beseeching him for clear skies and calm waters. Sometimes he provides it, and other times he laughs as he crushes vessels beneath the waves of the sea, or batters cities with violent storms to drown their crops, earning him the ire of Madrena.

Vimera: Goddess of the Wilds
The wild and more fickle little sister to Madrena, Vimera believes Julidar and Madrena are too stuffy and caught up with civilization and order. She believes the wilds should stay wild, and runs free with the beasts of the field and air, frequently joining Kerinos in his random wanderings through her fields and forests.

The Dark Ones
While no one truly knows the identities of the Dark Ones, there are many theories, and a great many folk stories and legends in any given area where people whisper in the dark about which beings of evil may be waiting to devour your soul or power a witches curse. Here are some of the more prominent, and likely to be true, names that feature on those lists.

Asmodeous: The Lord of Hell

Llolth: The Goddess of the Drow and ruler of the Demonweb Pits in the Abyss

Shrinak the Destroyer: A powerful entity known to have slaughtered a horde of angels in its lifetime

Velirak The Undying: Believed by some to be the original Lich, thought by others to be a dark deity, this being has long been locked away, but tales of its dark powers still lurk in the world.

So, I wanted to try to run a 5th ed Game online! I have run many offline, but never one over a forum so this will be different for me. I am looking to gather a group of 4-5 players, I am looking for people who wish to post at least 3 times a week, as I would rather not take two months just to get out of town! If you go without posting for too long, I will move things along without you, and likely seek to replace your character after NPCing your character off the adventure!

I am looking to start this adventure at lvl 3, mainly because I dislike lvl  1 and 2 and prefer to start a game with the players already leveled into their subclass! I will be doing starting gear per your class, plus 150 gold per person for other purchases, assumed to have been earned on your adventures up to level 3.

I will be using classes and info from the published books, so PHB, Volo's, Xanathar's, Sword Coast, any of these are good for classes and races. I will say I am not interested in anyone who wants to be a sprite ninja or centaur investigator, or any other weird combo people might think of lol. I am looking for standard races out of the books, not monstrous races.

As far as smut/sexy content goes, I am not aiming at making this a sex focused RP, but if players who join are interested in having a sexy element to things, I have no problem with that, just bear in mind most monsters you fight will not be looking to have sex with you. But if you want to try to distract a guard, or two players/NPC want to head off in the bushes for alone time, well why not?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php I would like to see character sheets from this site, we will be doing rolls with E's dicebot. For starting stats, I am going to try for my same method I normally use in home games, 5d6 keep the highest three dice. Once I see your finished scored I might award points that you can use to nudge the scores around, I do this because I like to make difficult fights, and like heroic characters to come across as heroic! When you do your rolls, please PM me and link the rolls in that message. If the average is below my threshold I will either have you reroll, or give you points to apply as you wish to your scores.

For HP, you have two options. Aside from max at level one, you can then either use the average HP rule from the book, or you can roll for HP and link the rolls to me. Once you choose a method you have to stick to it though!

Character Sheet

Character name:
Character sheet:

Background story:

And I hope this is of interest to some. :)

Chulanowa

And suddenly, opportunity for a Dragonborn/Lizardfolk/Kobold character arises!

Paladin101

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 15, 2017, 06:48:59 PM
And suddenly, opportunity for a Dragonborn/Lizardfolk/Kobold character arises!

Dragonborn yes! The other two I'd rather steer away from!

Chulanowa

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 15, 2017, 06:52:04 PM
Dragonborn yes! The other two I'd rather steer away from!

But you said Volo's... -Sniffle-
Well, i'll see qhat i can come up with, anyway  ;D

Drowdeviant

*plants flag of interest again*

Are we allowed the mystic class from unearthed arcana by chance? If not I can work with another class. Could make a mean cleric or ranger. xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Paladin101

Quote from: Drowdeviant on December 15, 2017, 07:45:46 PM
*plants flag of interest again*

Are we allowed the mystic class from unearthed arcana by chance? If not I can work with another class. Could make a mean cleric or ranger. xD

No on any unearthed arcana. That Mystic is hella unbalanced! lol  Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Cythieus

I'm in love with your map and honestly your idea. I have a good idea for a handsome half orc man that I have been kind of itching to play.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 15, 2017, 07:51:55 PM
No on any unearthed arcana. That Mystic is hella unbalanced! lol  Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

But it's fun! xD

Hmm. I might do an arcana cleric or tempest cleric...or a hex blade. Hex blades are cool...no wait a hex blade that goes divine soul sorcerer multi class so I can has cool magical fun times. :3
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

SilkenVenom

I'd probably be interested in this. I think I would enjoy playing one of my characters at a lower level again.

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Paladin101

Well I'm glad to see I have interest! :D

At this point I'll be watching to see who makes character sheets, I'll give it a day or two, and if I get more than 5 I will probably sort through and find the ones that just fit together best!

If anyone has questions for character creation feel free to contact me.

RedPhoenix

Sigh. I hate rolling dice for starting stats. This is what I rolled.

10, 12, 7, 11, 11, 8

Gonna be awful hard to feel heroic with a character that doesn't even have a +2 to anything.

Paladin101

Would rather you redo it and link me to the rolls in a private message before you make the character. Sorry, I will edit that into the first post as well. This will be so if your rolls are below the average I am aiming for, you can either do a complete reroll, or I will just give bonus points to modify.

RedPhoenix

Paladin101

Sorry, trying to modify my table method to online lol. Normally my method at home is roll 4d6, reroll the lowest die, and then keep the highest 3. But didn't see an easy way to do that with the dicebot.

RedPhoenix

Guancyto

Hmm, I might be down for this.

I notice Halflings are a very small minority in all of the named settlements, what's their deal in this setting?

Chulanowa

Quote from: Guancyto on December 16, 2017, 02:59:08 AM

I notice Halflings are a very small minority in all of the named settlements, what's their deal in this setting?

Of course they're a small minority. They're halflings.  XD

Paladin101

Quote from: Guancyto on December 16, 2017, 02:59:08 AM

I've always seen halflings as they are described in the PHB, as wandering nomads outside of their own secluded communities. So there are halflings out there, but they aren't a majority in these areas. This is also an area that is far north, more rugged and not settled or comfortable as halflings, aside from the adventuring minority, prefer. :)

Caitlin

Oh wow, I'm definitely interested as well. I've been meaning to join a game with a Halfling Mage character, but in the past weeks/ months DnD 5e games either started and then stopped shortly afterwards or didn't get to start at all. I'm especially interested in this one because of the 3 posts/ week rule. I love active games. ;D

I'll draw up a character soon and post it here.

Paladin101

Loving all the interest. So far I have been sent two character sheets. They are for a healer druid, and a divination wizard! Putting this out there so others can factor that in to what sort of character they might want to put together! Those who have sent me sheets, when you're done with them feel free to post it here so others can see it!

Caitlin

Character name: Meela Meadowleaf
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1429249

Background story:
Meela was born in Sunshire Abbey as one of the few Halfings in a village that mostly humans populated. The Halfling was generally a quiet girl who preferred to stay in the background, allowing others their moment to shine while not drawing a lot of attention to her. She became interested in the abbey at an early age and it came as no surprise that she turned into an avid believer of Renak, just like most of the population in the village.

Her parents and grandparents were therefore supportive when Meela announced that she wanted to dedicate her life to the abbey. She impressed the local clerics with her knowledge and they counted her curious nature as a blessing. Meela simply loved life at the abbey and studied hard so she could one day become a valuable member of the order.

Everything changed, however, when an oracle foretold a vision of a grim future, one in which Meela could become a bright light. The Halfling had already proven that she had an aptitude for magic and in combination with her eagerness to study, the oracle urged her to study spell books and become a wizard. It turned out that Meela truly had a gift and she soon became a promising student in Sunshire Abbey, much to the delight of her family. The oracle who had urged her to become a wizard was also very proud of the young adult. She spent many evenings with the Halfling and as it turned out, Meela even had some gifts of divination herself.

The words that the oracle had prophesized eventually came true and Meela knew that her time to study had ended. Now was the time to put all her theoretical knowledge into practice and to fight for the survival of not only her family and Sunshire Abbey, but even for the country and its people herself.

Paladin101

Love a good diviner!

Oh, and it was pointed out I hadn't stated my rules for HP. I have updated that above, you can either use the averages, or roll for HP and link me the rolls!

Cythieus

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 16, 2017, 12:54:14 AM
Sorry, trying to modify my table method to online lol. Normally my method at home is roll 4d6, reroll the lowest die, and then keep the highest 3. But didn't see an easy way to do that with the dicebot.

Can I redo this, because I made a mess of things I did a 4d6, drop the lowest and that's it.

Paladin101

Quote from: Cythieus on December 16, 2017, 03:39:52 PM
Can I redo this, because I made a mess of things I did a 4d6, drop the lowest and that's it.

You haven't sent me anything, so ya feel free! lol. Like I rewrote in the main post, it's now 5d6 keep the highest three.