Winter's Bite (D&D 5th Ed) Recruiting/Interest

Started by Paladin101, December 15, 2017, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin101

Winter's Bite

The Frost Peak Mountains have long stood as a barrier between the settlements of the border country, and the hungry, howling hordes of the northern tundra. Their rocky depths have served to house a nation of dwarves, who have patrolled the mountain pass and try their best to keep raiding parties from the north from crossing over. Now however, the winds of winter are beginning to howl. Raiding parties have slipped over the mountains in such numbers that the dwarves have lost several outposts, their griffon riders are the only thing allowing them to reinforce besieged mountain holds, and the lowlands beyond the mountains have begun to feel the bite of the monstrous hordes who live beyond the mountains!

An oracle from the Sunshire Abbey has forseen that this change of tactics is merely the first sign of dangers to come. She has declared that soon the frost will sweep over the mountains and freeze all of the north! At first, none took her serious. Then, her first warning sign came to pass. The city of Khelben's Climb, which stood between Karak'Rhun and Blackwater Harbor, was over run by hobgoblins and frost giants. The beasts rode an avalanche out of the mountains, and for a week, the entire area became locked in winter, as the war horns of the giants rang out across the valley. By the time the local lords could rally troops and march to the aid of the city, it had already been razed to the ground, a thawing horror to warn all of what was to come.

So now a call has gone out from Lord Victus Blackwater, asking for heroes to rally at Blackwater Harbor, where they can set out to investigate this strange northern threat, and find the source of this sudden aggression and organization among their foes...

--------------------------------------------

Places of Note:
[/size]

Blackwater Harbor-City:
      Population: 22,000 (80% Human, 5% Halfling, 5% Dwarves, 3% Elves, 3% Gnomes, 4% Other)

Blackwater Harbor is the largest city in the region. It is home  to the Wave Rider's, a band of mercenaries who serve as a mounted peace keeping force on the roads. The Wave Rider's have suffered heavy casualties lately, and have been less frequent in their patrols than in the past. The city is the center of trade and is the main source of imports for the region. Merchant princes have grand houses here, while the docks are surrounded by warehouses and slums. The city runs the entire spectrum, and is a place where a fortune can be made, or your life can be lost. Lord Victus Blackwater is the Baron who rules here, and while he is aging, he still keeps his hand firmly upon the tiller. His two sons, Celwynn and Portus, have been eagerly vying for his approval as they seek to make names for themselves and assure their place as the next Baron Blackwater.

Sunshire Abbey- Town
     Population: 6,000 (70% Human, 10% Elves, 5% Dragonborn, 5% Dwarves, 3% Half-Elves, 2% Halflings, 5% Other)

A town which exists purely to support the Abbey, Sunshire was said to have been founded 1,000 years ago by a follower of Renak who received a premonition that on this site, an abbey must rest for the safekeeping of the future. So the cleric moved here with his disciples, formed the abbey, and began their works of selfless healing and aid giving to the surrounding towns, slowly making this Abbey into the center of religion for the region. While it is dedicated to Renak, it holds shrines and worship areas for the other Gods of Light and Twilight. The Dawnguard paladin order have a base here, with 20 paladins assigned to safeguard this abbey from any who should threaten it. Abbot Atheras, a half elf, has been the head of the Abbey for 40 years, he is a kind, gentle man, who is uncertain of how he can defend the people from the dangers the oracle speaks of...

Karak'Rhun - Citadel
    Population: 10,000 (90% Dwarf, 10% Other)

Karak'Rhun is a citadel built across the mouth of the Frostwind Gorge, the only pass easily navigated through the mountains. It is the permanent home to 6,000 dwarven soldiers, and 3,000 dwarves who support them, with another 1,000 volunteer soldiers from surrounding cities. This is the only accessible point to interact with the dwarves of Amyr'Krys who live spread throughout the mountain range. Here they have markets and embassies, and here they work tirelessly to defend the rest of the borderlands from the frozen horrors to the north.

Stoneshadow - Village
    Population: 900 (50% Goliath, 50% Rock Gnome)

Stoneshadow is a strange village, migratory goliaths decided it would be in their favor to have a place to winter, or at least send their elderly when they could no longer keep up with the herd. A clan of gnomes had been travelling and seeking a safe place to settle down. From a meeting of these two very different cultures sprang the town of Stoneshadow, which is both the source of strange machines, and a well defended farmstead which holds a constantly rotating population of goliaths.

Reedbend Shallows - Town
    Population: 7,000 (50% Human, 20% Half Orc, 10% Half Elf, 5% Halfling, 5% Dragonborn, 5% Other)

A town of cut throats and shady deals, Reedbend Shallows is a town built within a swamp where no one asks about your former life, so long as you're able to work, or at least pay enough coin to make it look like you do.

Moonglade - City
     Population: 12,000 (98% Elves, 2% Other)

A city of starlight and sylvan architecture, Moonglade is built into the forest seamlessly. The elves have never bothered much with what transpires to the north, aside from occasionally sending some archers to Karak'Rhun to aid in the defense of the vale. Now however they are becoming agitated, raids have been crossing the mountains and entering their holy woods! Ancient oaks and elms who have lived longer than even the eldest of the eldar, have been torn asunder and carried back over the mountains by invading hobgoblins and giants. They do not know what is transpiring, but they are beginning to mobilize to defend their home.

The Gods

The Pantheon of the world is split between three distinct groups of gods. The God's of Light, who are good and kind, and have the well being of mortals firmly in mind. The God's of Twilight, deities who are more primal, forces of nature or the cosmos, beings who are concerned not so much with right or wrong, as they are with what is right for their portfolio of influence. The Gods of Darknes, the Dark Ones, are beings whose names have been wiped from the histories and all but the most closely guarded of religious texts. It is the belief that without worship they will not gain power, so it is through ignorance that the God's of Light and Twilight seek to protect the world from the Dark Ones. There are whispers of what their identities may be, but in many cases, they are merely powerful mortal, or immortal, beings who have attained a level of power an infamy so great as to appear divine.

The Gods of Light

Julidar: God of Justice, Judgement, and Righteousness
A stern deity who calls for his followers to seek out justice for all, to give proper judgement upon those who commit wrong acts, and maintain the order of society. Often seen as the Father of the God’s, he leads the God’s of Light, and even the God’s of Twilight bend to his wishes. His clerics are known as Arbiters, and his paladins are called Justicars.

Madrena: Goddess of the Earth, Fertility, the Harvest, and family
The loving mother, she blesses the earth and watches over the families of the common man. She is the one prayed to when times are hard, and hunger bites the bellies of children.

Renak: God of Light, Healing and Prophecy
A benevolent deity who shines his radiance on those lost in darkness, believing no soul is so lost that it cannot be redeemed and brought back to the light. He is often perceived as a tortured deity, who gives of himself to heal the weak and downtrodden, and in so doing, takes up their pain as his own. He also is associated with the Vision, the capacity to foretell the future. His church has the most extensive collection of prophecies in the world.

Taknar: God of Guardians, Protection, and Duty
A quiet, steadfast sentinel. Taknar leads through example, acting as guardian at the Far Gates against the great void, and standing steadfast against the Dark Ones who would seek to slay the Light. His duty is never ending, his war never ending, yet never does he complain, never does he ask to be given a reprieve.

The Gods of Twilight

Kranok: God of Shadows, Secrets, and Deception
Often seen as the patron of thieves and spies, Kranok revels in knowing things no one else knows, in discovering secrets and hoarding them in the Library of Shadows. He is one of the three gods said to be there when you die, Merind carries you forth to the Hall of Judgement, Julidar sits and places your sins and your acts of good upon his scales, and then Kranok whispers the secrets not recorded in the ledger of your life, tilting the scales one way or the other, and then Merind ushers you off to your place of eternal rest.

Viotar: God of War and Tactics
A god who revels in war and combat, Viotar cares not if he is defending or destroying, so long as he is fighting! He is not fond of thoughtless conflict however, his truest favor shows on those who act with proper strategy, honing the weapons of body and mind!

Merind: Goddess of Death and Fate
The force of death, Merind is often depicted as a slender, pale young woman draped in a black dress and veil of mourning, with eyes that see to the core of your soul. She views undeath as the ultimate abomination, believing in the sanctity of the rest you have earned once moving beyond this life. She is not cruel or capricious, she is simply a force of nature, a thing that is and must be.

Kerinos: God of Chaos, Mischief, and Wanderlust
The trickster, Kerinos is the patron of wanderers and pilgrims, forever walking the paths and roads and forgotten trails of this world and others. Kerinos loves pranks, loves trickery and random chance, loves the sights of new things! He is good natured, but often causes more trouble than he intends, or is even aware of.

Remulos: God of Knowledge, Learning, and the Written Word
The scribe of the gods, he records all that occurs within his sight in the world, acting to gather all knowledge to his side and record it, endeavoring to preserve it even beyond the death of the gods themselves. Nothing is more important to Remulos that the preservation of learning and rediscovery of lost works from forgotten ages past.

Ashalon & Aberak: Twin Gods of Magic and Creation
Legend says Aberak began to work the skeins of creation alone, forging the lives and existence of creatures, men, mountains and seas, making all that exists and constantly churning forth new and unknowable creations into the cosmos. Soon though the web he wove grew unstable, something else wove around it, unbalanced it, threw chaos into the mix and threatened to destroy creation. So his brother Ashalon came to look at what he forged, and his eye perceived the Weave, the line of mana and power that flowed from reality to reality. Quickly his fingers stretched out to intertwine this new Weave into the web of Creation, forging the Skein, anchoring existence with reality altering magics from the Weave, and thus tying this world to all the other dimensions. Now these two brothers remain locked in eternal creation, balancing the Skein of Existence between them.

Arador: God of Fortune & Luck
The younger and more fickle brother of Ashalon & Aberak, Arador delights in the flip of the coin, of unknowable chance! He spends a great deal of time with Kerinos when he can, having found a kindred soul in their love of chaos and chance! Arador also loves to see things that shine, and many believe that the draconic lust for wealth was somehow given to them by Arador, for he urges his followers to gather as much wealth as they can in life. However, he also urges them to take chances with their money, to do more than simply store it away, you must invest, gamble, seek to make it grow!

Teleros: God of the Sea and Storm
A turbulent and fickle god, Teleros is prayed to by sailors and fishermen, beseeching him for clear skies and calm waters. Sometimes he provides it, and other times he laughs as he crushes vessels beneath the waves of the sea, or batters cities with violent storms to drown their crops, earning him the ire of Madrena.

Vimera: Goddess of the Wilds
The wild and more fickle little sister to Madrena, Vimera believes Julidar and Madrena are too stuffy and caught up with civilization and order. She believes the wilds should stay wild, and runs free with the beasts of the field and air, frequently joining Kerinos in his random wanderings through her fields and forests.

The Dark Ones
While no one truly knows the identities of the Dark Ones, there are many theories, and a great many folk stories and legends in any given area where people whisper in the dark about which beings of evil may be waiting to devour your soul or power a witches curse. Here are some of the more prominent, and likely to be true, names that feature on those lists.

Asmodeous: The Lord of Hell

Llolth: The Goddess of the Drow and ruler of the Demonweb Pits in the Abyss

Shrinak the Destroyer: A powerful entity known to have slaughtered a horde of angels in its lifetime

Velirak The Undying: Believed by some to be the original Lich, thought by others to be a dark deity, this being has long been locked away, but tales of its dark powers still lurk in the world.

So, I wanted to try to run a 5th ed Game online! I have run many offline, but never one over a forum so this will be different for me. I am looking to gather a group of 4-5 players, I am looking for people who wish to post at least 3 times a week, as I would rather not take two months just to get out of town! If you go without posting for too long, I will move things along without you, and likely seek to replace your character after NPCing your character off the adventure!

I am looking to start this adventure at lvl 3, mainly because I dislike lvl  1 and 2 and prefer to start a game with the players already leveled into their subclass! I will be doing starting gear per your class, plus 150 gold per person for other purchases, assumed to have been earned on your adventures up to level 3.

I will be using classes and info from the published books, so PHB, Volo's, Xanathar's, Sword Coast, any of these are good for classes and races. I will say I am not interested in anyone who wants to be a sprite ninja or centaur investigator, or any other weird combo people might think of lol. I am looking for standard races out of the books, not monstrous races.

As far as smut/sexy content goes, I am not aiming at making this a sex focused RP, but if players who join are interested in having a sexy element to things, I have no problem with that, just bear in mind most monsters you fight will not be looking to have sex with you. But if you want to try to distract a guard, or two players/NPC want to head off in the bushes for alone time, well why not?

https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php I would like to see character sheets from this site, we will be doing rolls with E's dicebot. For starting stats, I am going to try for my same method I normally use in home games, 5d6 keep the highest three dice. Once I see your finished scored I might award points that you can use to nudge the scores around, I do this because I like to make difficult fights, and like heroic characters to come across as heroic! When you do your rolls, please PM me and link the rolls in that message. If the average is below my threshold I will either have you reroll, or give you points to apply as you wish to your scores.

For HP, you have two options. Aside from max at level one, you can then either use the average HP rule from the book, or you can roll for HP and link the rolls to me. Once you choose a method you have to stick to it though!

Character Sheet

Character name:
Character sheet:

Background story:

And I hope this is of interest to some. :)

Chulanowa

And suddenly, opportunity for a Dragonborn/Lizardfolk/Kobold character arises!

Paladin101

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 15, 2017, 06:48:59 PM
And suddenly, opportunity for a Dragonborn/Lizardfolk/Kobold character arises!

Dragonborn yes! The other two I'd rather steer away from!

Chulanowa

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 15, 2017, 06:52:04 PM
Dragonborn yes! The other two I'd rather steer away from!

But you said Volo's... -Sniffle-
Well, i'll see qhat i can come up with, anyway  ;D

Drowdeviant

*plants flag of interest again*

Are we allowed the mystic class from unearthed arcana by chance? If not I can work with another class. Could make a mean cleric or ranger. xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Paladin101

Quote from: Drowdeviant on December 15, 2017, 07:45:46 PM
*plants flag of interest again*

Are we allowed the mystic class from unearthed arcana by chance? If not I can work with another class. Could make a mean cleric or ranger. xD

No on any unearthed arcana. That Mystic is hella unbalanced! lol  Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Cythieus

I'm in love with your map and honestly your idea. I have a good idea for a handsome half orc man that I have been kind of itching to play.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 15, 2017, 07:51:55 PM
No on any unearthed arcana. That Mystic is hella unbalanced! lol  Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

But it's fun! xD

Hmm. I might do an arcana cleric or tempest cleric...or a hex blade. Hex blades are cool...no wait a hex blade that goes divine soul sorcerer multi class so I can has cool magical fun times. :3
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

SilkenVenom

I'd probably be interested in this. I think I would enjoy playing one of my characters at a lower level again.

RedPhoenix

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Paladin101

Well I'm glad to see I have interest! :D

At this point I'll be watching to see who makes character sheets, I'll give it a day or two, and if I get more than 5 I will probably sort through and find the ones that just fit together best!

If anyone has questions for character creation feel free to contact me.

RedPhoenix

Sigh. I hate rolling dice for starting stats. This is what I rolled.

10, 12, 7, 11, 11, 8

Gonna be awful hard to feel heroic with a character that doesn't even have a +2 to anything.

Paladin101

Would rather you redo it and link me to the rolls in a private message before you make the character. Sorry, I will edit that into the first post as well. This will be so if your rolls are below the average I am aiming for, you can either do a complete reroll, or I will just give bonus points to modify.

RedPhoenix

Paladin101

Sorry, trying to modify my table method to online lol. Normally my method at home is roll 4d6, reroll the lowest die, and then keep the highest 3. But didn't see an easy way to do that with the dicebot.

RedPhoenix

Guancyto

Hmm, I might be down for this.

I notice Halflings are a very small minority in all of the named settlements, what's their deal in this setting?

Chulanowa

Quote from: Guancyto on December 16, 2017, 02:59:08 AM

I notice Halflings are a very small minority in all of the named settlements, what's their deal in this setting?

Of course they're a small minority. They're halflings.  XD

Paladin101

Quote from: Guancyto on December 16, 2017, 02:59:08 AM

I've always seen halflings as they are described in the PHB, as wandering nomads outside of their own secluded communities. So there are halflings out there, but they aren't a majority in these areas. This is also an area that is far north, more rugged and not settled or comfortable as halflings, aside from the adventuring minority, prefer. :)

Caitlin

Oh wow, I'm definitely interested as well. I've been meaning to join a game with a Halfling Mage character, but in the past weeks/ months DnD 5e games either started and then stopped shortly afterwards or didn't get to start at all. I'm especially interested in this one because of the 3 posts/ week rule. I love active games. ;D

I'll draw up a character soon and post it here.

Paladin101

Loving all the interest. So far I have been sent two character sheets. They are for a healer druid, and a divination wizard! Putting this out there so others can factor that in to what sort of character they might want to put together! Those who have sent me sheets, when you're done with them feel free to post it here so others can see it!

Caitlin

Character name: Meela Meadowleaf
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1429249

Background story:
Meela was born in Sunshire Abbey as one of the few Halfings in a village that mostly humans populated. The Halfling was generally a quiet girl who preferred to stay in the background, allowing others their moment to shine while not drawing a lot of attention to her. She became interested in the abbey at an early age and it came as no surprise that she turned into an avid believer of Renak, just like most of the population in the village.

Her parents and grandparents were therefore supportive when Meela announced that she wanted to dedicate her life to the abbey. She impressed the local clerics with her knowledge and they counted her curious nature as a blessing. Meela simply loved life at the abbey and studied hard so she could one day become a valuable member of the order.

Everything changed, however, when an oracle foretold a vision of a grim future, one in which Meela could become a bright light. The Halfling had already proven that she had an aptitude for magic and in combination with her eagerness to study, the oracle urged her to study spell books and become a wizard. It turned out that Meela truly had a gift and she soon became a promising student in Sunshire Abbey, much to the delight of her family. The oracle who had urged her to become a wizard was also very proud of the young adult. She spent many evenings with the Halfling and as it turned out, Meela even had some gifts of divination herself.

The words that the oracle had prophesized eventually came true and Meela knew that her time to study had ended. Now was the time to put all her theoretical knowledge into practice and to fight for the survival of not only her family and Sunshire Abbey, but even for the country and its people herself.

Paladin101

Love a good diviner!

Oh, and it was pointed out I hadn't stated my rules for HP. I have updated that above, you can either use the averages, or roll for HP and link me the rolls!

Cythieus

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 16, 2017, 12:54:14 AM
Sorry, trying to modify my table method to online lol. Normally my method at home is roll 4d6, reroll the lowest die, and then keep the highest 3. But didn't see an easy way to do that with the dicebot.

Can I redo this, because I made a mess of things I did a 4d6, drop the lowest and that's it.

Paladin101

Quote from: Cythieus on December 16, 2017, 03:39:52 PM
Can I redo this, because I made a mess of things I did a 4d6, drop the lowest and that's it.

You haven't sent me anything, so ya feel free! lol. Like I rewrote in the main post, it's now 5d6 keep the highest three.

Paladin101

Quote from: Cythieus on December 16, 2017, 03:48:43 PM
Wow, these rolls came out pretty awful too:
At 2017-12-16 15:44:48, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 10
At 2017-12-16 15:45:13, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 11
At 2017-12-16 15:45:22, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 9
At 2017-12-16 15:45:30, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 16
At 2017-12-16 15:45:38, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 6
At 2017-12-16 15:45:54, Brand (uid: 9088) rolls: 5d6k3 Result: 12

It's weird because it feels like the test roll (the one done when you go to the page) is usually decent.

You came in way below the average I'm looking for, so like I did for someone else, I'm gonna have you do a complete reroll. Please PM me with your results like I put in the first post though. ;)

Cythieus

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 16, 2017, 03:50:01 PM
You came in way below the average I'm looking for, so like I did for someone else, I'm gonna have you do a complete reroll. Please PM me with your results like I put in the first post though. ;)

Oh, sorry, I'll do that though.

SilkenVenom

Character name: Imrae Naerth
Character sheet:https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1428842

Background story:
Imrae was born the third child, second daughter, of Matron Mother Halisstra. Thought he House was not particularly large, they had enough influence to have things turn out their way if they wanted. Their small size though made them frequent targets for betrayal and assassinations. While originally expected to raise the House's status by becoming a Priestess of Lolth, her ability to utilize magic was paled in comparison to her mother and sisters. In order to save face for both her house and herself, she sought to study under the Matron of House Misraria. What she lacked in magical ability she more than made up for in the art of stealth, deception and death.

During her time at House Misraria, Imrae got to know the Matron's eldest daughter, Malsalra, well, the two working closely for many years. Emotion was considered a weakness among their people and the houses enemies saw fit to utilize Imrae's mistake. Malsalra was killed and the blame was placed on Imrae. Her supposed betrayal sparked war between House Misraria and her own, forcing her to flee her home and find shelter on the surface.

She traveled mostly by night for many months as the sun was an assault on her body, eyes and mind. Eventually she learned to tolerate the unpleasantness of the daytime, though she often tried to say indoors or within shade if at all possible. She eventually found refuge in Reedbend Shallows where few people seemed to care what she looked like as long as she was worth her asking price.

Cythieus

Character name: Brand The Handsome
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1428989

Personality: Where most of his kind are seen as uncharismatic, Brand is outgoing and suave in an almost accidental way. He's usually at the center of a gatherings or bare knuckle boxing with someone for sport or charming his way into whatever he needs. Brand always has a story to tell and a smile on his face, but he takes his job seriously. There's a certain amount of honor in how he hunts bounties. He won't take a bribe and he will give dead or alive bounties a chance to choose how to proceed. When interacting with his mother he almost dotes on her and he takes on a much softer personality.

Background story:
Brand was born in the Shallows, as it’s often called to his mother, a human whore and a half-Orc man he doesn’t know. From the time that the was very small it was said that he was blessed with good looks, for a half-Orc. It was thought that Arador had smiled on his birth. The nick name “the Handsome” was something that he earned early that was used as a form of teasing, but as he grew he grew into that title.

As his mother got on in age he concerned himself with making the coin that she couldn’t. Many of the kids in the Shallows ended up working for Jissan, a thief king who used children to do his bidding. Brand picked pockets for him and thrived for him along with several others until he was too old to hide behind his age or fit into tight spaces and avoid capture.

Growing up rough caused Brand to have to fight and Jissan found him to be a natural. So when the boy was too old for petty cut-pursery he put him to work collecting debts on those who had stolen from him. He put a sword in Brand’s hand and sent him out into the streets to scare what was due out of his targets with interest.

One of the men Brand brought back ended up trying to kill Jissan and his injuries made his former line of work…difficult to pursue. So with no boss and no direction, Brand turned toward doing the same thing he had been for years now, bringing men in for money. Dead or Alive bounties. Debtors. Hell, even men who had ducked out on their child. For coin he would bring them or enough of their money back.

The way that I see it, he’s in Blackwater when the story starts because he brought a large bounty in and blew all his money on women and liquor.

Chulanowa

I will be making a Dragonborn... thing! leaning bard, could see Paladin or Sorcerer in the mix. Depends on what catches my fancy  ;D

RedPhoenix

Character name: Phyllotaxia
Character sheet: Myth-Weavers / Elliquiy

Background story:

Phyllotaxia is the child of Aasimar who are descended from a natural guardian spirit of a great forest. As per their customs she was raised to the age of a young child, and then abandoned in the wilderness. The wandering tribe did not leave their name, but Phyllotaxia remembers her parents having markings on their skin similar to the black geometric patterns that criss cross her own otherwise pale face. She assumes she will meet another like her some day.

She grew up alone in the forest, living off of the land and connecting with it. She is often visited by dreams of an endless idyllic forest that seems like paradise to her. She believes this is what she must strive to turn the world into. She thinks there is a place for the civilized races and the wild ones to live together, although it may not be a vision the civilized races will be all too fond of. She was taught the ways of the druid by a treant named Mossflower, and acquired many of the careful, deep thinking patterns of the treants from him. She did not see a human or elf until she was well into her teenage years, and only after becoming an adult did she reveal herself to travelers with any frequency. She has spent many decades in her forest, wandering the deep and ancient woods enjoying being one with nature. She has spent quite a lot of time as an animal, and often prefers to turn into one around civilized folks she doesn't know well.

Eventually she came to visit the town of Moonglade and found it much to her liking. She studied with the elves there and came to know their ways and customs, although she could not quite figure out their language. While in Moonglade she began to dream of an icy death freezing her precious forest, and had a vision of what was to come. She shared her dream with her elven friends and was told of the call for aid that had gone out. Taking up her trusty staff she began the long walk to Blackwater Harbor, to see if she could be of some aid before it was too late.

Paladin101

Getting some very interesting sheets! Planning to give this until tomorrow night, since by then I should have enough sheets to go through and make a selection! While I won't be choosing PURELY based off a balanced party, I am going to tend towards one of a given class if there are other options that would give the party versatility. However I also plan to factor in character backgrounds and how the group will mesh together. So while I am loving all the sheets I have gotten so far, I am sorry if any of you aren't selected tomorrow evening! I will keep any extra's names on tap though for if someone has to bow out after we begin!

So far we have a divination wizard, a Circle of the Dream Druid, An assassin and an unknown specialty rogue, and that is it for submitted characters though some have spoken of making a paladin or a bard, or a monk! Looking forward to seeing what else comes our way!

That being said, keep the characters coming! :D

Cythieus

Is Swashbuckler available? I can’t remember if it’s been publsihed.

Paladin101

Quote from: Cythieus on December 16, 2017, 09:12:25 PM
Is Swashbuckler available? I can’t remember if it’s been publsihed.

Yes it was published in both Sword Coast and Xanathar's. So long as the source you draw from is one of those, it is good to go. :)

DomJoe

I have an equipment question: since Unbreakable Arrows are available in Xanathar's, would there be a crossbow bolt variant? If so, how much would both of them cost to buy?

Cold Heritage

Character name: Torner
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1429919

Torner's father is a famous Justicar, Alabast of the Dawn, wielder of the famed sword Claíomh Solais. He has four older brothers, three of whom became Justicars and another who followed the call of Renak and became a famed healer and balm to all weak and downtrodden. Their stories loom large and none who meet Torner would ever think that he shared blood with such holy and virtuous men. His mother is also rightly well-known as a priestess of Merind famed for her kindness and compassion, putting a human heart into a thing that must be, comforting mourners for their loss and easing the passing of those on the path to what lies beyond this world.

As a boy Torner lagged behind his brothers in their studies, failing to grasp holy writ as his brothers could. They had great wit and could discern meanings in ecclesiastic metaphor that Torner failed to wring out after days of study. He possessed a raw-boned physicality that they lacked and was no less fervent in his worship of the gods, but when his brothers spoke of hearing the songs of angels, Torner did not hear such secret chords. But when older boys grouped together to prey on younger and weaker children, Torner felt something his brothers did not: righteous fury. Oh, his brothers recognized the wrongness of bullying and exploiting the meek, but they were not moved to the bloody wroth that possessed Torner to run in, fists swinging, screaming like a maddened angel.

This anger that lay in Torner set him apart from his brothers. When the elder three were called to the temple to become acolytes and begin their training to become Justicars, Torner was passed over. When his other brother heard the call to join the priesthood of Renak to heal all of the world's wounds, Torner felt no such pull and knew a life of books and ointments was not for him. Though his parents said nothing Torner knew he was a disappointment to his father.

So Torner went out into the wilderness. He wandered to prove that he had worth, and to learn what would be essential to his life. Some fights and struggles Torner won, and others he lost. He fought bandits and highwaymen, roving bands that harassed travelers and their like. His only constant companion was his fury that only grew greater the more he wandered and saw the injustices inflicted upon those who lived outside the city walls.

It is his fury that saw Torner take a fight he could not win. An orcish warband had gathered to attack a village, and they had no real defense beyond their own strong arms, stout hearts, and pitchforks. Another man might have turned and walked away. There was no hope. But Torner was, at least in that moment and at that place, his father's son, and he did not turn away when evil was there to be opposed and there were those in need.

Torner fought hard. He screamed until his throat was full of his own blood. He hacked and hewed until his thews burned and his sword's edge was blunted. In the end, the orcs fled, their morale broken with their warchief's death and the unexpected losses suffered. But Torner's life's blood stained the earth, and though he knew he was dying, he felt no regret or shame.

The remaining villagers buried Torner along with their own dead, giving him a humble marker, without even his name. And so Torner lay at rest until the oracle at at Sunshire Abbey received her vision. And then Torner woke, again, and clawed his way up from where he lay. He had no memory of his time being dead, nor did he know by what power he lived again. But he knew that there was a purpose to his return, and the man made his way to Blackwater Harbor.

My sheet's not quite final; I think I got all of the essentials but I didn't spend any gold because I'm not entirely sure what I should spend it on. Any advice on that front would be appreciated; I wanted to get this in before applications are closed.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Paladin101

Quote from: DomJoe on December 16, 2017, 09:31:22 PM
I have an equipment question: since Unbreakable Arrows are available in Xanathar's, would there be a crossbow bolt variant? If so, how much would both of them cost to buy?

Honestly just see that as a flavor difference, since you have to pay alot of money to make sure your arrow/bolt never break. I will base this off the sale prices they give in the book for magic items. One unbreakable bolt would cost you 100 gold.

That is a very fun concept for a Zealot barbarian! Love it! And that you got back up from death definitely matches up with your reverence for Taknar. His devout followers have a daily prayer (which I totally stole from bushido I think) which is "Duty is heavier than a mountain, Death lighter than a feather." So definitely find some interest in the idea of a barbarian of the Sentinel who wasn't allowed to put down the mountain. Kudos!

Paladin101

Cold, for advice on what to buy, you could buy healing potions for 50 gold a piece. Otherwise just adventuring gear you think would be useful. You are looking at an expedition into the wilds of a northern tundra, with possible mountain climbing involved. So make of that what you will. :)

Guancyto

Hmm, this was the best image I could find, animesque image is a bit incongruous with everyone's realistic portraits, but couldn't find the right level of keen in anything else.

Character name: Kestrel Undertree
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1429923

Background story:

Kestrel was born destined to tend orchards all her life with the rest of the Undertree family. She lived an idyllic life, chasing after the boys in her village to play and - when they happened to tease her - knocking them down, scattering them before her and hearing the lamentations of their mothers (who had to get ten tons of mud out of their clothes). Even though she could climb every rock and tree in a day's ride, she always wanted more. She dreamed of going out into the wider world and facing dire and dangerous things like the heroes that the storytellers always told of. Only the old people told stories about orchards, and they weren't very interesting stories at that.

So it wasn't any surprise at all when she ran away with a traveling circus that was heading north. She had always been said to have dwarf blood in her because she was monstrously strong for a halfling, and the circus was more than happy to turn that into an act. Meet Kestrel the Unbeatable, the only halfling that can wrestle a bear and lift it too! She also learned a thing or two about rhythm and keeping time and barking as well and when it came to drumming up enthusiasm or drumming up some noise there was no equal, even if the drumsticks had to be longer than usual.

It was on these tours that she began to notice that in this region not everyone's lives were as easy or comfortable as those of her home - that there was suffering, sickness, crime, greed, and an ever-present threat from the north. It was an old priest of Julidar that started her doing charity shows and, eventually, putting her strength to use as a junior Justicar. Finally, she was going to be a hero of legend!

And the heroes in tales always made it sound easy. It couldn't be that hard, could it?

Could it?

RedPhoenix

I missed the extra gold for my equipment. Keeping in mind the need for tough rugged equipment to confront this serious problem I have purchased a Staff of Bird Calls.

>.>
<.<

Sheet(s) is updated though! :D

Paladin101

Guancyto, what type of paladin are you? Didn't see that on your sheet so just wanted to figure that bit out. :) Very interesting character idea!

Guancyto

Ah, Devotion paladin! Forgot about that bit, edited now.

DomJoe

The gold price for unbreakable arrows/bolts seems too steep for just one: I'd expect that for a pack of 20, much like how a regular pack would cost 1gp for 20. Either way, its not in my budget, so I'll make do with buying a bunch of regular bolts. In any case, Jessica Wilder is ready!

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1429932

Name: Jessica Wilder
Class: Way of the Kensai Monk
Background: Urban Bounty Hunter

Backstory

Jessica Wilder grew up in the broken town of Reedbeen Shallows, scraping by with her family in the slums. Her family was only focused on survival, but she was focused on thriving. She started a life of crime, only to be quickly captured and thrown into jail.

She would have rotted away in prison, if it wasn't for the very person she robbed bailing her out. Her benefactor, another human by the name of Johnathan Boyer, taught her how to get some real money: hunting down bounties and taking out criminal scum. Her recklessness became an asset  for swift attacks, and her flexibility and quick thinking allowed her to use her body as an effective weapon, as well as adapt quickly to other weapons. It wasn't long before she hungered for more than just coin, but recognition and fame. The call to Blackwater Harbor was just what she had wanted in order to break past her roots and be part of something much greater. She makes the trek to the harbor with hopes and dreams, and gold coins in her eyes...

Personality
Jessica has a can-do attitude towards many things in life, and things like her next meal or money don't seem to stress her out very much. She's never afraid to get her hands dirty, although this does mean she doesn't have the greatest moral compass. She's promiscuous and selfish, and she handles her money poorly on gambling and drink, sometimes both. Still, she's not particularly malicious, and she won't go out of her way to make someone miserable unless its job related.

Paladin101

Well, magic items, even simple ones, aren't supposed to be easy to come by. ;) All magic ammunition in DMG is looked at as being given out individually, so that is how the pricing factors in. Same concept as dragonsbane arrows. That being said, it's always possible to FIND magic gear on the adventure trail. ;)

The Kensai sounds like a fun character, just bear in mind won't be alot of urban activity so some of those bounty hunter features won't come into play! :)

We're getting lots of very interesting characters turned in! Going to be hard to choose just five! Makes me wish I had time to run more than one game! lol

DomJoe

Fair enough on the magic item explanation, I wasn't going to be able to afford that from the start regardless. And I'm not worried about not having my feature working most of the time... that's usually how it goes for most backgrounds anyways XD. Its just the best choice for the specific character I'm going for, as well as a way to help rationalize her "monk" training.

Cythieus

There’s a chance DomJoe and I’d know each other lmao. Same town and same profession.

Caitlin

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 16, 2017, 09:40:31 PM
My sheet's not quite final; I think I got all of the essentials but I didn't spend any gold because I'm not entirely sure what I should spend it on. Any advice on that front would be appreciated; I wanted to get this in before applications are closed.
Awesome character!

As for what to spend your gold on; you might want to get a riding horse with saddle bags, a riding saddle, brid and girdle, and enough animal feed to last a while. It'll double your movement speed and allow you to travel much faster.

QuoteHonestly just see that as a flavor difference, since you have to pay alot of money to make sure your arrow/bolt never break. I will base this off the sale prices they give in the book for magic items. One unbreakable bolt would cost you 100 gold.
If I may offer an alternative, instead of spending 100 gp on a single bolt, I'm sure there will be somebody in the party with the Mending cantrip. Just pass the expended bolts to the person and twenty minutes later you have 20 fixed arrows/ bolts back. ;D

I'm tempted to get Mending myself, but I think I'll take Prestidigitation at level 4 and probably Message at level 10.

Chulanowa

Not 100% done; still writing her backstory, and gotta choose a college and spells. Also Paladin101, I took you up on your allowance to redistribute two points; I droppd her Intelligence to 10 and put the points in Dex and Charisma. Used the averaging method for her HP.

Character name: Surina "Jumper" Daardendarion, heir of Kastormont (sister to the martyr Tymelion and Daughter of Aureumfax the Woundtender, son of Nixfehelous of Kothe, etc., of the line of Sudar'renfadaarden, last mortal messenger of Brightlady Rentha)
Character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1430132

Background story:    Aurethior the Scarred once held a ancient red dragon at bay single-handedly, long enough for the inhabitants of Diremont to escape. Rexethel Daardendarion is said to have wooed a queen of her jewels, her crown, and very nearly her kingdom, before carving his own in the lands of Gadran. Elthemphelos of the ancient Daar clans is revered as a saint to the church of Renak. Surina knows all these names, and their stories, and a hundred more like them. This is her family, after all... and she needs stories to tell around the bar, since silver is hard to come by since her father disinherited her.

Despite such an illustrious ancestry, Surina was not hatched in a palace, or an opulent manse. No, her father had come to Sunshire Abbey to serve the church after his first child sacrificed his life for the cause of Light. Here he could grow his vines, tend the ills of the flock, and live in peace with his wife and daughter. Surina grew up comfortable, if not wealthy. She made numerous friends among others her age, even if she did grow faster than the softskins ("Father says it's not nice to call you that, so I won't), but something began to grate as she grew older, more aware. her friends were all more interested in her relatives, it seemed. When they visited, they always craned their necks to get a better look at father's old shield, or wanted to know about Tymelion (as if Surina knew anything about him besides the stories everyone had heard) or something of the like.

it bothered her more as time went by, and she found excuses to keep more to herself; At her request, father bought her a cittern; whenever her friends decided to fawn over her ancestors, Surina would smile, indulgehtem with a short story about one or the other (sometimes she mixed htem up to see if her audience was paying attention; usually they weren't) and then run off to the gardens for her "cittern lessons" which was mostly her plunking away indolently at the strings.   Practice makes perfect though, or at least passable. One such solitary lesson happened to draw the attention of a wanderer passing by the garden walls. He paused for a moment to listen, then produced his own instrument to play along. A friendly duet became a competition of sorts, which the stranger won. eager to meet her "foe," Surina clambered over the face. he was shabby-looking for Sunshire standards, and introduced himself as Tyven. As ever, Surina introduced herself with as much of her lineage as she could. When Tyven nodded, then asked who she was though, that was something new!

For a good while these sorts of visits continued, Tyven on his side of the wall, Surina on hers, sharing stories and songs and techniques. Once or twice Tyven even showed her some magic, and told her of how music itself is made of magic. Practice, practice, practice! Over a year into this odd friendship, Surina finally produced her own cantrip. Tyuven almost demanded they celebrate in town. A great many songs and too many drinks later, Surina shambled home.. .right into the broad chest of her disapproving father! She got a good scolding, and promised to never do it again... the promise was forgotten a week later, when she went back to meet a lad from the inn. And again when Tyven suggested a visit to some old stones in the forest. On and on. Each time her father and even mother grew angrier, until...

Well, it had been nothing really. A game of dice, with Surima trying out a technique her inn-boy friend had showed her to alter the odds. it was totally friendly, but hte constable didn't see it that way, and hauled her home for gambling. Oh, father was angry! Telling him it was just to practice a dice trick made it worse, gambling AND cheating?! "What would your great-grandfather Ardroniun think of his offspring, squatting in an alley cheating yokels?!" he had roared. Surina had enough, and shot back in reply, "I'm not Arodiun! I'm not Tymelion, i'm not YOU, gods damn the lot of you!" She regretted it of course as soon as it left her mouth. But that didn't matter. Mother and father decided that since she was old enough to be drinking ale and going through life without her family, that's exactly what she should do. She was out the door!

Life as a minstrel isn't hardly as easy as Tyven made it seem. For a time, they traveled together, until he pressed some gold into her palm and suggested she seek out her own stories; it wasn't malicious, but it still stung a little. He was right, though. Surina might bear the legacy of glorious ancestors, but what has she done? Who knows her name? She's not her ancestors, but who is she? She aims to find out. It doesn't help that even away from Sunshire Abbey, people know her family and legacy and there's always that one guy who wants to hear about how Rothellos forged the blade that slew the vampire Lord Dvareion, or jangles a few silver and asks for the Lay of Zerikeimos and the Redemption of Ith, but even with that yoke on her shoulders, she's certain someday she'll be known for what she has done!

Cythieus

I think that I have my sheet done, but I have a question about my actual character personality. The way I'm envisioning him he speaks in third person and I know that can grate on people's nerves, so if it's too much I can just not do it.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Cythieus on December 17, 2017, 02:42:31 AM
I think that I have my sheet done, but I have a question about my actual character personality. The way I'm envisioning him he speaks in third person and I know that can grate on people's nerves, so if it's too much I can just not do it.

Just wanna say, I love that you're using Orc Dave for your character image  ;D

We just need three more Daves...

Cythieus

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 17, 2017, 03:29:17 AM

I'm sure the DM would love to have a bunch of Dave's running around.

I'm glad to see someone knows about Rat Queens.

Caitlin

Quote from: Cythieus on December 17, 2017, 02:42:31 AM
If anything, you could roll with it for a while, or you could use it only when he brags about his prettiness or something. If it becomes annoying for party members, then it could be an excellent roleplay opportunity for a fun scene at which point you could still change it. :-)

I haven't really seen this way of talking about yourself in third person yet, so I for one don't really mind. I think it would be annoying if you'd use it with all dialogue, but from what I gather that's not your intention anyway.

Cythieus

Quote from: Caitlin on December 17, 2017, 04:27:10 AM
If anything, you could roll with it for a while, or you could use it only when he brags about his prettiness or something. If it becomes annoying for party members, then it could be an excellent roleplay opportunity for a fun scene at which point you could still change it. :-)

I haven't really seen this way of talking about yourself in third person yet, so I for one don't really mind. I think it would be annoying if you'd use it with all dialogue, but from what I gather that's not your intention anyway.

I wrote his character traits in the way I intended for him to speak. It's kind of hard to explain without seeing it actually used.

"Ol' Brand's loyal to the job; he don't take bribes."

"You can come with Brand dead or alive, it don't make no bother to him."

Caitlin

I think it'll be fine like that. I have some ideas already of how my character would react to it. ;)

Paladin101

Another interesting character! Chulanowa, you didn't say what bardic college you are following on your sheet, could you let me know what that is?

Going to be awol from here on out today, have my nieces birthday party to attend, but I am looking forward to reading any other submitted sheets when I get home! I'll be making my final decisions on the party composition tomorrow morning!

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Cythieus on December 17, 2017, 05:04:16 AM

"Ol' Brand's loyal to the job; he don't take bribes."

"You can come with Brand dead or alive, it don't make no bother to him."

I think it's an amusing quirk. However...

"Imrae is going to cut out Brand's tongue if he doesn't stop talking like that. Very annoyed she is."

Just something that may or may not be said.  ;)

Caitlin

I do hope that there will be a non-PvP rule though, just like a non-stealing of party members rule. Those sort of things tend to sour the mood in a party really quick.

I know that you meant it in jest SilkenVenom, but I'm not really a fan of PvP or causing harm in other ways to each other. :-)

SilkenVenom

It is possible to play evil characters that aren't out to kill or injure other party members on purpose. Being an edgelord doesn't make one a psycho.

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have said anything.

I wouldn't worry too much, to be honest. If he has more than 5 characters, I'll most likely be the one that gets cut.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 17, 2017, 09:28:08 AM
Another interesting character! Chulanowa, you didn't say what bardic college you are following on your sheet, could you let me know what that is?

I'm still deciding!

Caitlin

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 17, 2017, 12:10:40 PM
It is possible to play evil characters that aren't out to kill or injure other party members on purpose. Being an edgelord doesn't make one a psycho.

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have said anything.

I wouldn't worry too much, to be honest. If he has more than 5 characters, I'll most likely be the one that gets cut.
I'm actually playing a Neutral Evil character in another campaign, but that character is a full party player, which is in fact in his best interest since it helps him survive too. The evilness comes in how he responds to the rest of the world. ;)

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 17, 2017, 03:29:17 AM

Yes. And no Garys.

Mister Ugly

Character's Name: Nathan Billiard
Character Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1430439

Background:
Nathan comes from a line of Eldritch Knights known as the 'Guardians'. Long have they served Taknar as warriors. They were wanderer's that would suddenly appear to fight off an evil or even lend a hand at harvest time.
From a youth traveling with his grandfather until he was 26, Nathan was a warrior, a guardian for Taknar. He battled many creatures across the northlands and even went to sea for a time. It was during one of the rare times he was home and resting that he met her. She took his breath away just walking past. Zanyan was a beauty, blonde hair and blue eyes the exotic looks of an half elf. Some how he won her hand. Even now he is not sure exactly how or what she saw in him but Zannie could make the big man smile like no one else.
They married and settled down near a small town called Khelben's Climb. Near enough to the big city but still close to nature. There he laid aside his bow and swords and took up homesteading. There was five years of peace and happiness with Zannie and a boy child. He watched things grow and hunted for the town and patrolled when asked.
It was on one of these patrols, that the locals had begged him to do, when he heard the rumble of an avalanche. Cut off and half buried, it took Nathan four days to make it back to his family. What greeted him was ruins, a half burned home the stones blackened by the heat. The body of his child hacked up and his beloved dead yet it was clear she had suffered.
Something in Nathan broke for all his life he had been a guardian, a protector and when it matter most to him his god failed, or so it seemed. Gathering what he could he hunted the invaders almost dyeing himself. Finally the grief lifted enough for him to return to Blackwater. Since then he has lost himself in drink but now the call has gone out and he will go!

Personality: Nathan tends to be Stoic and quiet. He says little and watches everything. As a Guardian he had a dry wit and enjoyed after battle entertainment. With his beloved he opened up, smiled and would laugh and took up the flute to amuse Zannie and his son. Now Nathan burns with an icy fire. He drinks to forget but has lost none of his skills. Stoic and with a dangerous aura. He is barely keeping his anger and grief in check. Deep down though he is still a good man, a man of principals and a protector. He may want to turn the northlands red with Hobgoblin blood and claims to not want anything to do with Taknar. But does Taknar still have a need for one of his Knights?
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Paladin101

Very neat idea!

Gonna be going through the character sheets here tonight and will put up my final decisions this evening or tomorrow morning as I don't believe I have anyone else left pending to submit a sheet! Unfortunately, there are more entries than there are spots, so I will be having to turn some people down. :(  Just want to let everyone know you've made my life difficult, because I don't think there's a single character submitted that I don't like!

Paladin101

Ok, this has been really hard to decide on! There are so many great characters here, it kills me to have to cut it down! I did not think I would have so many great options to choose from! So I wanted to start out by explaining my reasons for what I chose.

Looking through the sheets I saw a solid block of them that could be easily tied together with a common cause and theme, but were all distinct classes that would complement each other's roles both in and out of combat. For this reason, I chose Torner the zealot, Meela the diviner, Kestrel the paladin, and Nathan the fallen knight of Taknar. All of these characters have a theme of duty to the gods, which gives me tools to tie them together and possible plot hooks in the future, not to mention being a very balanced selection of melee, range, and spellcaster.

My final choice I knew would end with one of the rogues, because I think a rogue is damn useful for being in a dungeon, and it lets me use traps without feeling guilty. ;) So I looked at my two options, and honestly at this point it was a question of who I thought would make an interesting addition to the other four members of this party. After alot of debating in my head between the two options, I decided adding a darker spectre, a shadow to contrast with the light, would make for some interesting RP possibilities so I decided to go with the drow assassin Imrae Naerth.

And a final addition. I am breaking my rule to myself after alot of arguing internally about expanding the group, but this final addition made a support class, and since my biggest size of group arguement was activity, I looked and they seem to be very active, so as long as that stays true I don't see myself regretting doing this. Also, their character will make a nice bridge between the light and the dark and who doesn't need a good bard in their party? So, I am extending the party to six, and am going to add Surina Daardendarion to the party, provided they can finish their sheet and choose their college by tomorrow!

I really want to thank everyone who submitted characters to play this, and honestly I've fought with myself for the last hour on how hard would it really be to expand the party by a few characters, but I know with using dice and initiatives that I really can't make this group any bigger and have it keep moving! As much as I would love to have every single character among you in this party, I just can't make it work. :(

So, the final selection is:

Torner
Meela Meadowleaf
Imrae Naerth
Kestrel Undertree
Nathan Billiard
Surina Daardendarion

Again thank you to everyone who submitted a character. If you are ok with it, I will be keeping your characters in mind, and if anyone drops out of this game, I will message you before I open up general recruitment again!

I will be making a normal OOC tomorrow. In the meantime, I would like it if those of you who will be in the game could start discussing who among you knows who, because I would like to start this smoothly with the party having already known one another, and are simply accepting a quest, and then moving out, instead of sitting for three pages of you hemming and hawing about who one another are! So even just having a past with one other person in the party, and a passing knowledge of the others, would help expedite that I think!

Chulanowa

And there we go. pretty sure I'm 100% done on Surina's sheet.

...I'm still indecisive between College of Valor and College of Swords thematically, but since i'm pretty sure there will be a "front liner" I'm going with swords for now...

And okay then, just as i finish up, there we go  ;D

Paladin101

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 17, 2017, 09:52:50 PM
And there we go. pretty sure I'm 100% done on Surina's sheet.

...I'm still indecisive between College of Valor and College of Swords thematically, but since i'm pretty sure there will be a "front liner" I'm going with swords for now...

And okay then, just as i finish up, there we go  ;D

There is a sword and board paladin and a barbarian with a big sword. Think you have front line. ;) lol

Glad you were able to finish it. I played a valor bard dwarf recently. I loved it! Really useful being able to jack up your allies damage and AC with Insp. Ended up being the main front liner in a party of 5 casters with him. lol. Haven't played with a Sword bard yet, should be interesting either way. :)

RedPhoenix

Grats to those who were selected, hope you all enjoy the game. =)

Cold Heritage

I've got a few rough ideas about how Torner could know others and I'll lay them out.

Meela Meadowleaf: Torner may have ended up at Sunshire Abbey a few times, after escorting pilgrims there or to visit his brother the cleric of Renak in study there. Their encounters probably would have amounted to passing each other in a hall or some sort of common area.

Imrae Naerth: Not really sure on how Torner could have met/know Imrae.

Kestrel Undertree: Torner could have stayed a few nights at the temple where Kestrel's mentor resides while Kestrel was undergoing her Justicar training. Torner's father could be one of the adventurers whose stories that captured Kestrel's imagination in her youth, and/or Kestrel's mentor might use stories of Torner's father as part of Kestrel's training. They could have trained together on the practice field. She could remind Torner of his brothers, in a good way.

Nathan Billiard: They met while Nathan was still a wandering knight, or while Nathan was on a patrol after settling down. They team up, with Torner following Nathan's patrol route. Along the way they fight crime and say less than half a dozen words to each other in total. I see this taking place before Torner's death and Nathan's loss that causes his crisis of faith.

Surina Daardendarion: Torner's probably heard her playing in the common room of an inn or tavern once or twice.

Caitlin

I'd like to suggest we all met up in the inn where we got to know each other with at least the basics. We could work out relationships where some may know each other from the past already, but it's probably easiest if we assume that all the basic introductions were already done ICly and we could discuss here just how much we all know of each other's character. I like the idea of immediately heading out for an adventure once the IC starts and not be slowed down with half a page of introductions first.

What Meela told to everyone about herself is the following;
Meela is a firm believer in the oracle's vision and a follower of Renak. She let the others know that she studied magic and is capable of casting spells. Furthermore she told that she's from a humble family of halflings who all live in Sunshire Abbey. Due to her shy nature, she wasn't very forthcoming with more information, but you're free to ask.

Since we also have a bard in the group I'm going to change one of my spells while I still can, we both have Suggestion at level 2 and it's probably better not to have double copies of spells, so I'll pick something else instead. :-)

I'm looking forward to starting this adventure with all of you!

Chulanowa

Surina is a traveler, and could have met anyone anywhere... Guaranteed though that everyone who finds out who she is, knows of her family line and heroic ancestors first, though, maybe all the way back to her earliest ancestor, a gold dragon who was reputedly like an avatar of a now-lost god (though that may just be a story, it sticks.)

hell, maybe someone actively sought her out, instead of just a happenstance meeting. I imagine, given her current financial situation, she could be found busing herself in a tavern somewhere playing music, or perhaps taking a job for some organization or another. The call to Adventure!™ would definitely reel her in, both for the sake of heroism and because, well, there;s always gold at the end of those, right?

SilkenVenom

I'm surprised you went with Imrae. Pleased, but surprised.

I'm thinking Imrae teams up with the group because she owes one of them a debt. Possibly Torner, Nathan or Kestrel. One of them could have saved her life in some way some years back, or released her after she was captured.

Just spit balling ideas right now.

Mister Ugly

@Cold Heritage-- Nathan is 31 a lot older then Torner.I was thinking Tornar knew of Nathan through his brothers, since they were impressed with his deadly aim and that he won the hand of Lovely half elf over one of his brothers. He then retired to a farmstead someplace. His grey eyes always seemed to gleam a bit when he was alert and your character could have been a bit jealous [like his brothers] that he won the hand of Zanyan!

@Caitlin-- No problem with the bar idea. Thing is though Nathan would be drinking more then eating and his growl reply would be ..."I shoot things...they die...and Merind is happy". He would wear the mark of a knight of Taknar sewed into his cloak that looks half ripped off if that helps. Since Meela come form the abby and the knights sorta work out of there...much less so then the paladins do.

I would guess something similair for kestrel... Heard of the knights...met a few ... Billairds Like Tornar's family were known just not Justicars...after the knights/guardians [as they prefer] were not gifted by the god.

Surina-- heck that's easy...Big man with hood over head...setting in corner...growls and murmurs...drinks a bit. Big bow on back.

Imrae--- now that is a tougher one but how about this. Imrae was actually friends with his wife Zanyan...hmm I was thinking Zanyan was an arcane trickster so Imrae could have went to her for quiet advice!

@Paladin101-- I was wondering if Nathan could have the trinket...gnome music box...but instead of playing a song he remembers it plays a song Zanyan liked.
also how would you see a bow being used in melee...Improvised weapon? club? quarterstaff? not at all?  The concept I am using for Nathan is based on the arrow so I wanted to get him some up close unarmed...unfortunily it seems only Monks can use dex for unarmed attacks.
oh he has extra suit of leather armor [from class] and a staff [from background]
Also are we gonna need a mule and pack...Nathan does not have a horse but can buy a mule

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

Chulanowa... if you like late one night when most had left Surina could have heard this played by the cloaked man with the hard dangerous eyes... if asked all he would growl is "memories"

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Albert Einstein

Paladin101

Planning to set up the beginning at an inn at the edge of town, right after you have returned from speaking with Lord Blackwater, effectively finishing your final preparations and perhaps toasting to your success.

Please do hammer out some details and links between one another, I plan the first post to be a monologue/summary of what Lord Blackwater told you, and setting the scene for you to then move forward!

SilkenVenom: I like the concept of a little darkness to accompany the light, and a well played lawful evil character can make for a fun contrast. Especially since you have every reason to want to end this threat, just as much as all the good people. The hobgoblins and giants, and perhaps whatever leads this new assault, have no reason to care if you're a dark or a light elf.

Mister Ugly: I love the idea of the music box, feel free to toss that in your sheet!

As for the bow, it would be an improvised weapon for melee. A bow just isn't made for that function, and I would say there is the possibility of it breaking on a 1 or a 20 if used in melee, just because it was not designed to stand up under that useage. Would probably roll a percentile an give it a 1 in 5 chance on a 20 or a 1 that it would shatter.

Mule and Pack are up to you guys. Travel will be decided by how many of you have mounts. Also bear in mind you are going into a frozen wasteland, so won't be alot of food to be scavenged. Though you have a 4 day ride to Kharak'Rhun before you cross over the mountains.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 18, 2017, 12:13:28 AM
Mister Ugly: I love the idea of the music box, feel free to toss that in your sheet!

Will do! I liked it as well to add that touch of sorrow!  :'( :'(

As for the bow, it would be an improvised weapon for melee. A bow just isn't made for that function, and I would say there is the possibility of it breaking on a 1 or a 20 if used in melee, just because it was not designed to stand up under that useage. Would probably roll a percentile an give it a 1 in 5 chance on a 20 or a 1 that it would shatter.

Well that works ...an idea I was toying with for later was taking magic initiate feat and going druid for shillelagh and using it on his bow for melee.  :o Yea was a bit out there but I have a bunch of ideas I am looking at for how to proceed with the 'fallen Knight'. Of course he isn't fallen but deeply hurt and angry!

Mule and Pack are up to you guys. Travel will be decided by how many of you have mounts. Also bear in mind you are going into a frozen wasteland, so won't be alot of food to be scavenged. Though you have a 4 day ride to Kharak'Rhun before you cross over the mountains.

I hope it helps that Nathan has Survival and the feature from his background that allows him to fond food for his party... maybe not great food... "here you go 3 scrawny squrrials and a quail and a bunch of winter potatoes"  ;D

MU
Albert Einstein

Paladin101

Quote from: Mister Ugly on December 18, 2017, 12:41:00 AM
Will do! I liked it as well to add that touch of sorrow!  :'( :'(

Well that works ...an idea I was toying with for later was taking magic initiate feat and going druid for shillelagh and using it on his bow for melee.  :o Yea was a bit out there but I have a bunch of ideas I am looking at for how to proceed with the 'fallen Knight'. Of course he isn't fallen but deeply hurt and angry!

I hope it helps that Nathan has Survival and the feature from his background that allows him to fond food for his party... maybe not great food... "here you go 3 scrawny squrrials and a quail and a bunch of winter potatoes"  ;D

MU

Oh ya, I just liked referring to him as fallen because I imagine that's sort of how he see's himself. :) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Now if you cast a spell that makes the wood into a weapon like that, I would allow it. It's a ways to go though for such a minor effect! lol. Might have some magic item ideas in the future for that character though from back in 3.5 that could be converted.....will have to see where things go. :D

Yes, a Wanderer can find supplies, provided nature has such supplies to find. ;) Some days, you might find that water (melting snow) is easy to find, but other foodstuffs? Will depend on if you're willing to slow your travel in order for you to more thoroughly forage. Not every day, but the further north you go, the harsher things get. ;)

Mister Ugly

Albert Einstein

Caitlin

QuoteMule and Pack are up to you guys. Travel will be decided by how many of you have mounts. Also bear in mind you are going into a frozen wasteland, so won't be alot of food to be scavenged. Though you have a 4 day ride to Kharak'Rhun before you cross over the mountains.
May I assume that we'll be able to find enough water? I just doubled up on my rations and I now have 20 rations in total for myself and another 20 animal feed for my mount. I should be good for 20 days before returning to some sort of civilization to stack up again.

In general, I want to recommend you all get a horse so we can reach our destinations faster. Even after purchasing everything you need for a horse, you should still have 50 gp left to buy additional items. I have 39 items in total on me, it's probably best to prepare for the worst.

QuotePlease do hammer out some details and links between one another, I plan the first post to be a monologue/summary of what Lord Blackwater told you, and setting the scene for you to then move forward!
How detailed do you want it to get? I don't want to be one of those loner types who sits in the dark corner of the inn, but I'm drawing up a blank on how a character that mostly lived a secluded life would get to build a lot of ties with everyone else. She did do the introduction of herself with what I mentioned in my previous post though.

Paladin101

Quote from: Caitlin on December 18, 2017, 01:05:56 AM
May I assume that we'll be able to find enough water? I just doubled up on my rations and I now have 20 rations in total for myself and another 20 animal feed for my mount. I should be good for 20 days before returning to some sort of civilization to stack up again.

In general, I want to recommend you all get a horse so we can reach our destinations faster. Even after purchasing everything you need for a horse, you should still have 50 gp left to buy additional items. I have 39 items in total on me, it's probably best to prepare for the worst.
How detailed do you want it to get? I don't want to be one of those loner types who sits in the dark corner of the inn, but I'm drawing up a blank on how a character that mostly lived a secluded life would get to build a lot of ties with everyone else. She did do the introduction of herself with what I mentioned in my previous post though.

Water will be easily obtained, long as you can melt snow.

Detail doesn't have to be intense. Just a general concept. Even something as simple as "Meela and Nathan have a past with one another" and you could hammer out more in character if you're drawing blanks now. You don't have to have big connections to everyone. Just at the least have knowledge of one another in such a way that would make it possible for you to travel together without feeling all weird and first day of school jitters.

Caitlin

-grins- It's Meela, she always feels weird when she's not at home. ;)

I understand your point though. I figure that if everybody shared some basic details that she finds she has a lot of common ground with the other people who have a strong belief in the deities, even if the deity isn't the same one as she worships. Her personality and ideals are also geared towards making friends rather than making enemies. Could we also get a centralized place with links to the accepted characters? I find it a challenge to hunt down all the background stories for everyone. Maybe it's a good idea if you open a topic where we can post our characters in?

Torner:
Meela's impression of Torner is that he's a trustworthy level-headed man who makes the right call at the right time. He's likely to frighten her if he enters a rage since she has never experienced such a thing before and since she's used to a peaceful life.

Imrae Naerth:
Meela is very curious and intrigued about Imrae since the Drow woman seems to have lived a life that is the opposite of her own. She also finds the beautiful elf scary and intimidating, however, this won't stop her from trying to get to know her better.

Kestrel Undertree:
Meela appreciates Kestrel's strength and friendly attitude. It's not clear where Kestrel was born from the background or what the character's age is, but if she's in her early to mid-twenties and was born in Sunshire Abbey, then I can imagine them being close friends. Alternatively, they could eve even be family. They're both Stout Halfings, so they could be cousins. Guancyto, how do you feel about them being cousins?

Nathan Billiard:
Meela thinks that Nathan is a scary man and she doesn't really know what to think of him with being quiet and mostly sticking to himself. She's worried about his alcohol consumption and prefers to stay away from the big man with the bad liquor breath.

Surina Daardendarion:
Meela is awed by the music that Surina plays and may even turn into a groupie in the long run. She thinks highly of Surina and her ability to play music instruments. She's fond of listening to music and enjoys being close to Surina. On top of that, since Meela lived such a secluded life, she'll actively seek out Surina for stories of her adventures and tales she has to tell.

By the way, did anybody take the Goblin language? I took the Giant language with my character since we'll be encountering Giants and Goblins, but I couldn't get the Goblin language as well.

Paladin101

Bout to head to bed but wanted to let ya know I'll be making the OOC thread tomorrow, and I intend to put links to everyone's character sheets there.

Caitlin

Sweet dreams. I'll check the thread once it's up. :-)

I'll also copy Meela's background story to her sheet so it's all in one place.

Guancyto

Let's see...

Surina
As a fellow performer, Kestrel would be all about Surina (the magic music would be quite a curiosity), and more than happy to help her make a name for herself! I can see these two having met on the road and really hitting it off, sharing stories and jamming until the dawn.

Meela
I had made Kestrel's origin a bit nebulous on purpose (the notion was that she was from further south than the map extended), but putting her home on the outskirts of Sunshire Abbey wouldn't really change anything! I would be down for making them cousins. Kestrel was something of a terror when she was young, but with Meela's personality I suspect she was more likely to be the defended party rather than the attacked. :P

Torner
Kestrel would have absolutely heard of Torner's father, and maybe have even met Torner himself during her training, sure. It looks like Torner, although unconventional, has a strong sense of justice that seems to come so naturally. Depending on how things go she might even wind up looking up to him a bit.

Imrae
...you know, I don't actually know if this is a region where Drow are common knowledge or not? If this isn't a place where raids by them are a thing that happens, Kestrel would probably be fascinated by Imrae. Either way I'd be okay with having saved her life by jumping into an altercation with absolutely no idea why people were beating on the elf lady with the dark skin (and it would be funny to keep her perpetually unaware of what drow are, or why anyone has a problem with Imrae).

Nathan
Nathan is a sticky one. She'd try pretty hard to involve him in conversations and whatnot, but I suspect his grief runs deep enough that her usual friendliness isn't going to be effective (that's not to say she'd stop trying). She might have heard of his Order, but maybe he went to a show in better days?

Caitlin

QuoteI had made Kestrel's origin a bit nebulous on purpose (the notion was that she was from further south than the map extended), but putting her home on the outskirts of Sunshire Abbey wouldn't really change anything! I would be down for making them cousins. Kestrel was something of a terror when she was young, but with Meela's personality I suspect she was more likely to be the defended party rather than the attacked.
Alright, cousins it is! ;D

And yeah, I can see Meela being the introvert one of the two while Kestrel is the extravert one, which would be another thing that Meela admires about her cousin. ^_^

I calculated that there are 120 Halfings in Sunshire Abbey, so having Kestrel sticking up for Meela against all those tall folks would make sense too.

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Caitlin on December 18, 2017, 01:05:56 AM

I'll have to make significant changes in order to do that. I had about 9 silver left over when I was done with buying what I wanted and I didn't even get very much (some of that stuff is honestly more expensive than it should be, in my opinion). Unless the DM wants to be nice and give them to me for free (assumed they were aquired as part of leveling up), I'll have to alter the sheet while I still can.

Caitlin

I see your point. If you'd skip the diary and poison kit while switching the hand crossbow for a light crossbow, then you're saving out 125 gp already I think. Alternatively, you could keep that poisoner's kit, go for the light crossbow (and switch to something else once you got some more money), and leave the diary/ ink/ pen for what it is for now. I don't know how attached you are to those though, if you really want that diary for RPing, then keep it. I mean, I'm not about to tell what you should or shouldn't do.

Either way, keep in mind that a lot of the items I already bought can be used by other people as well. We only need so many iron pots and shovels, so you don't need to buy all of that stuff. You could opt to go for some cheaper gear at the moment that does less damage, in case of the hand crossbow this would make a lot of sense if you mostly intent to get up close and personal with your foes, however, if you want to do mostly ranged damage then it'd gimp you too much.

In the end, you could also decide to leave your sheet the way it is. It'd suck that the party would travel slower for now, but I guess that after the first mission you'll probably have enough gold to buy a horse. I might even be able to pass you some extra coins once I took care of some of my material needs to cast spells. :-)

Let me know if you want to change your plans and still come some money short. I can give you 5 GP and keep 3 GP of my money for emergency purchases, so that'd give you a little more breathing room already.

[edit]
I did some comparing between a light crossbow and a hand crossbow, the light crossbow is a 1d8 but a heavy weapon, while the hand crossbow is a 1d6, has 50 feet less effective range (and 200 feet less total range), is 50 gp more expensive, but it does have the light feature, meaning you could dual wield it the first round. The way I see it, a hand crossbow is awesome if you intent to dual wield it for one round, but if you only have 1 of them anyway then you might as well save out 50 gp and get more damage/ better range. Both share the Loading property and you can only load 1 crossbow effectively per turn in combat.

More information is available here; https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Weapons#content

[edit 2]
Oh crap... I forgot that since light crossbows have the heavy property that my character (size small) has disadvantage on the attack with it, even though I'm proficient with its use. In other words; it's next to useless to my character. >.<

I just sold the thing and now I have 27 gp more (also sold the case and the bolts x20).

SilkenVenom

I wanted at least one ranged weapon, so I dropped both the crossbow and the book (why the hell a book is 25 gp I'll never know) and the ink/pen as well as one of the shortswords and took the shortbow, quiver and arrows (which I can get for free at level 1).

That freed up enough to buy the horse and accessories and a few other things, leaving me with about 18 gp remaining for...whatever I might find I want later.

Caitlin

Wow, sweet. It sounds like you got the better end of the deal now.

A wizard's spell book costs 50 GP for a leather-bound tome with 100 blank pages. From what I understood paper is just very expensive to produce, which is why it costs so much. I pretty much have everything I need (including an extra blanket that I bought for my horse since we're going to a cold area) and still have 34 gp and 5 sp left now. You could spend some extra coin to stack up on rations/ animal feed since the expectation is that we won't be able to restock for a while, but other than that, I don't really know what you could spend the money on either.

Oh by the way, you might want to consider getting a studded-leather armor which would increase your AC with 1. Those cost 35 GP though, so not sure you could still afford that now... Still I figured I'd throw in the suggestion. A regular armor is 10 GP so you might get to exchange that for the full money and you only need 7 gp more in that case.

If you're tight on money, let me know and I'll give you those 7 gp. ;)

SilkenVenom

Admittedly, I used your sheet as a reference and bought extra rations and feed already.

I did consider the upgraded armor, but I would only get 5 gp for exchanging the regular leather armor, so I would need 12 gp for the upgrade which would leave me broke. We've still got one town to visit before crossing to the north, so for now I'll wait. I might find I need that money for something there.

Paladin101

Since they were purely fluff pieces from what I saw, Silk feel free to throw back in your book and the ink/pen. We can say you came across those in your travels.

Mister Ugly

Well you know the shorties only need ponys. In fact they should work even better. as for horses... where we are supposed to go I see them as throw away gold...why not get the group a cart/wagon and a couple of mules/draft horses.
A wagon if we can get an enclosed one actually can work as a shelter also.

@Paladin-- I upgraded Nathan's leather armor to studded....what can I do with the extra armor?

MU
Albert Einstein

Paladin101

Quote from: Mister Ugly on December 18, 2017, 08:35:03 AM
Well you know the shorties only need ponys. In fact they should work even better. as for horses... where we are supposed to go I see them as throw away gold...why not get the group a cart/wagon and a couple of mules/draft horses.
A wagon if we can get an enclosed one actually can work as a shelter also.

@Paladin-- I upgraded Nathan's leather armor to studded....what can I do with the extra armor?

MU

You can sell it at value if you wish.

Caitlin

I can get you the extra money if you want SV. MU, I don't want a pony since they're slower. A draft horse/ pony both offer a speed of 40 feet while a riding horse gives 60 feet space. If you have to chose between a pony and a draft horse, go for the latter since it can carry a lot more gear (2.4x more to be precise).

I'm getting Leomund Tiny Hut at level 5 so we don't really need a shelter either after that level, for the same reason I decided to skip on getting the Alarm spell since I mostly intended to use that one as a sort of guard system. Leomund Tiny's Hut is vastly superior to both though. Heck, we can even all sell our two-person tents by then since they weight a lot and don't find a lot of use anymore. :-)

Paladin101

Here is the OOC Thread

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279957.0

Please if everyone could do what Caitlin and Guancyto did, and if Caitlin and Guancyto could repost over there, and just whip up a post of how your character perceives the other characters, I think it will help get your characters outlooks on each other solidified!

I will try to get an IC up tonight or tomorrow!

Caitlin

I've updated it with my character information from this thread, including the character relationships as well. :-)

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Caitlin on December 18, 2017, 09:49:17 AM
I can get you the extra money if you want SV. MU, I don't want a pony since they're slower. A draft horse/ pony both offer a speed of 40 feet while a riding horse gives 60 feet space. If you have to chose between a pony and a draft horse, go for the latter since it can carry a lot more gear (2.4x more to be precise).

I'm getting Leomund Tiny Hut at level 5 so we don't really need a shelter either after that level, for the same reason I decided to skip on getting the Alarm spell since I mostly intended to use that one as a sort of guard system. Leomund Tiny's Hut is vastly superior to both though. Heck, we can even all sell our two-person tents by then since they weight a lot and don't find a lot of use anymore. :-)

Part of the problem is that we are heading into the mountains. Paladin has mentioned we may need climbing gear
So,
1] Horses in mountains are probably as speedy as a mule. Add in snow ands harsh conditions and we will need a wagon just for the horse feed.
2] If we do have to climb, who stays with the horses? I do not think we could get Paladin to let them make climbing rolls  :o
These are the two big reasons for me to not want horses. that being said I freed up the gold to buy one and a saddle if that is what everyone decides!

MU
Albert Einstein

Paladin101

Quote from: Mister Ugly on December 18, 2017, 02:58:54 PM
Part of the problem is that we are heading into the mountains. Paladin has mentioned we may need climbing gear
So,
1] Horses in mountains are probably as speedy as a mule. Add in snow ands harsh conditions and we will need a wagon just for the horse feed.
2] If we do have to climb, who stays with the horses? I do not think we could get Paladin to let them make climbing rolls  :o
These are the two big reasons for me to not want horses. that being said I freed up the gold to buy one and a saddle if that is what everyone decides!

MU

There are mountains, and climbing them early, or trying, is an option. Early portions of the adventure are more likely to involve covering flat lands or hills and eventually snow covered plains and ice. Mountains are likely to crop up at some point or another though, you are correct.

What supplies and method you all take is up to you. I'll have things planned for either eventuality. :)

Cold Heritage

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 17, 2017, 11:17:29 PM
I'm surprised you went with Imrae. Pleased, but surprised.

I'm thinking Imrae teams up with the group because she owes one of them a debt. Possibly Torner, Nathan or Kestrel. One of them could have saved her life in some way some years back, or released her after she was captured.

Just spit balling ideas right now.

I've used what you wrote in the OOC and bundled it in with this, SilkenVenom, for Torner's entry on Imrae. Let me know if it's okay!

Quote from: Mister Ugly on December 17, 2017, 11:31:52 PM
@Cold Heritage-- Nathan is 31 a lot older then Torner.I was thinking Tornar knew of Nathan through his brothers, since they were impressed with his deadly aim and that he won the hand of Lovely half elf over one of his brothers. He then retired to a farmstead someplace. His grey eyes always seemed to gleam a bit when he was alert and your character could have been a bit jealous [like his brothers] that he won the hand of Zanyan!

My thinking is that it would be cool if Torner knew Nathan before Nathan's loss. Seems like it would be good roleplay to have someone like that in the group. And Torner left to wander the wilds when he was younger, so I think we can make both of our ideas work.

Caitlin

It seems like only Chulanowa's character is missing from the OOC, I'm a bit hesitant to post there before that character is up.

Either way, I took a climber's kit on Leema even though I think she might be able to do without through a clever use of spells. I'm not too worried about the horses, we'll find some way to keep them safe. In a worst case scenario I lost 92 gp, but I have nearly every regular item I could want already anyway and for the really expensive stuff you're going to need a lot more than 92 gp.

Did anybody bother with the goblin language by the way? I think it'd be useful if we can understand them. I took comprehend languages that I can cast as a ritual, but then it'd take 10 minutes before I can hear the literal meaning of what's going on, although I suppose that's better than knowing nothing at all.

Cold Heritage

Yeah, I figure it'd be good to wait until all the characters are migrated over to the OOC before taking up the conversation there.

I'll swap out Dwarf for Goblin on my sheet so that we have someone who can speak it.

Caitlin

That'd be cool yeah, we have both Giant and Goblin covered then. :D

By the way, I believe that bards can pick spells outside their class at certain levels, but the way I'm looking at it, that's probably the only way to get revivify or one of the other resurrection spells in the party at a lower level. Paladins can't res until level 9. In other words; we're best of not dying since you're unlikely to return.

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 18, 2017, 09:52:52 PM
I've used what you wrote in the OOC and bundled it in with this, SilkenVenom, for Torner's entry on Imrae. Let me know if it's okay!

I don't dislike it or anything, but it begs the question why she would bother helping him, even in secret. There would likely be some ulterior motive to it, possibly something to do with his family.

Quote from: Caitlin on December 18, 2017, 10:42:32 PM
By the way, I believe that bards can pick spells outside their class at certain levels, but the way I'm looking at it, that's probably the only way to get revivify or one of the other resurrection spells in the party at a lower level. Paladins can't res until level 9. In other words; we're best of not dying since you're unlikely to return.

Let's hope he's more interested in making a fun adventure than watching us all get killed.

Caitlin

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 19, 2017, 12:03:49 AM

Let's hope he's more interested in making a fun adventure than watching us all get killed.
You probably have the least to fear anything from all of us with your stealth rating lol. Even if you'd roll a 1 you still get a 15? So if everything fails, you can still stealth and flee to fight another day. ;D

There is actually one real concern though; if I look at the character set ups, then my character is the only ranged. The rest of you are all melee, including the bard. In that regard the party is pretty unbalanced, although I'm guessing that the bard will abandon melee weapons at higher levels to cast more spells.

Mister Ugly

BAH!! Nathan speaks goblin well enough.....'ZZZZZZZZZIPPP it is dead'
The next can speak to us!
as for speaking giant.....stealth...sharp shooter ...zippppppp +14 damage....move....sharpshooter zippppp +14 damage....rinse repeat...

I took an extra explorer's pack as well as horse, saddle, etc... feed and 4 bottles of wine left Nathan with 2gp and some change

MU
Albert Einstein

Guancyto

Quote from: Caitlin on December 19, 2017, 12:35:52 AMThere is actually one real concern though; if I look at the character set ups, then my character is the only ranged. The rest of you are all melee, including the bard. In that regard the party is pretty unbalanced, although I'm guessing that the bard will abandon melee weapons at higher levels to cast more spells.
Tactically it's bound to be a problem because hobgoblins probably like their crossbow lines and kill zones... but damn if it doesn't make me happy that the most optimal strategy for Kestrel goes like this: Shove, Shove, Shove, Shove, Shove

Caitlin

Quote from: Mister Ugly on December 19, 2017, 12:50:52 AM
BAH!! Nathan speaks goblin well enough.....'ZZZZZZZZZIPPP it is dead'
The next can speak to us!
as for speaking giant.....stealth...sharp shooter ...zippppppp +14 damage....move....sharpshooter zippppp +14 damage....rinse repeat...

I took an extra explorer's pack as well as horse, saddle, etc... feed and 4 bottles of wine left Nathan with 2gp and some change

MU

Ehm... Have you considered that it might be a good idea to interrogate mobs to see what else lies ahead? Going mindless murder hobo is probably a bad idea when the DM already indicated that the encounters are going to become very tough. I'd much rather see some more subtlety being used to prevent getting ambushed later on in the encounters.

We might even be able to recruit creatures to work for us and help us take down the really big baddies.

[edit]
I'm going to give it some more thought, but I'm thinking of maybe switching out Comprehend Languages in favor of Fog Cloud so that ranged mobs will become less of an issue.

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Caitlin on December 19, 2017, 12:35:52 AM
There is actually one real concern though; if I look at the character set ups, then my character is the only ranged. The rest of you are all melee, including the bard. In that regard the party is pretty unbalanced, although I'm guessing that the bard will abandon melee weapons at higher levels to cast more spells.

I was kind of worried about this as well. We probably won't be doing a lot of kicking down doors and relying on scouting and ambush tactics more than usual.

Caitlin

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 19, 2017, 06:33:53 AM
I was kind of worried about this as well. We probably won't be doing a lot of kicking down doors and relying on scouting and ambush tactics more than usual.
Yeah, on top of that, the way I build my mage is to be mostly a support character/ crowd controller which will hopefully allow the rest of the party to focus on dealing damage and taking the baddies out one by one.

I literally only have one damage spell right now and that's a cantrip. Then again, when it comes to utility spells and crowd control I should be able to help out a ton, which in turn should prevent damage taken and limit our need for healing. There are several damage spells higher up that would be lovely to get, but I'll need to get a higher level first for those.

Paladin101

Quote from: Caitlin on December 19, 2017, 06:40:51 AM
Yeah, on top of that, the way I build my mage is to be mostly a support character/ crowd controller which will hopefully allow the rest of the party to focus on dealing damage and taking the baddies out one by one.

I literally only have one damage spell right now and that's a cantrip. Then again, when it comes to utility spells and crowd control I should be able to help out a ton, which in turn should prevent damage taken and limit our need for healing. There are several damage spells higher up that would be lovely to get, but I'll need to get a higher level first for those.

I think you guys are stuck on the fact that Nathan is a fighter, and missed the fact that his weapon of choice is a longbow. So you have a ranged fighter, a wizard, a melee barbarian and paladin, and then your rogue and bard who are also tending to melee but have other options. So you have more diversity than you think. ;)

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Paladin101 on December 19, 2017, 08:21:13 AM
I think you guys are stuck on the fact that Nathan is a fighter, and missed the fact that his weapon of choice is a longbow. So you have a ranged fighter, a wizard, a melee barbarian and paladin, and then your rogue and bard who are also tending to melee but have other options. So you have more diversity than you think. ;)

SHHHHH! This is not the bow they are looking for.... Nathan does not with sharpshooting have +3 attack and 1d8+14 damage each shot of his bow...He uses the scimitar and swordsword all the time....shhhhhh
Nathan is not weapon bonded to his bow shhhhh

<stands the bow in front of the wizard then walks 50 feet away draws his swords and does swirls and thrusts. Drops the scimitar of the ground and sheaths the short sword. He winks "why let them get that close"... summons the bow to him draws and fires all in one motion hitting the small tree truck exactly and driving the arrow through it>

SHHHHHH!!!

MU 
Albert Einstein

Paladin101

Chulnowa, please get your character posted in the OOC thread. You're making me look bad adding you as the sixth person because you looked active! :P I don't want to post in the OOC again until you post your character, because it will be nice and organized if you post and we have all of you right in the beginning. lol

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=280001.0

A link to the IC thread that I just put up! The party needs to pick their path, and then can just let it be known they are departing, and I will advance time in a post! Hope you all like it.

Chulnowa, seriously, post in the OOC so we can OOC in there!

Snake