News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Rookshaven Academy - Recruiting All Characters

Started by Anouk Daae, November 20, 2017, 07:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anouk Daae

DummieBlondie

Anouk Daae

Lady Sakura

Bookmarking. Once I'm not so behind I might consider bring in my Selena.

Anouk Daae

Lady Sakura

My Selena has an addiction to cocaine, would that be something I could keep with her?

Anouk Daae

SilkenVenom

This looks incredibly familiar to me.

Out of curiosity, did you at one point years ago create something similar on AOL back when it was still around?

If yes, I think I might have been part of it back then. XD

Anouk Daae

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 06, 2017, 09:31:05 PM
This looks incredibly familiar to me.

Out of curiosity, did you at one point years ago create something similar on AOL back when it was still around?

If yes, I think I might have been part of it back then. XD

Initially, Rookshaven was based on someone else's SL on AOL called Ravensbrook. The Admin logged off one day and never came back, so I rebooted it on AOL as Rookhaven. It didn't take off as well as I would have hoped. But yes, this was an AOL SL originally. Both my characters were involved in that incarnation as well. Who did you play?

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Anouk Daae on December 07, 2017, 10:31:06 AM
Initially, Rookshaven was based on someone else's SL on AOL called Ravensbrook. The Admin logged off one day and never came back, so I rebooted it on AOL as Rookhaven. It didn't take off as well as I would have hoped. But yes, this was an AOL SL originally. Both my characters were involved in that incarnation as well. Who did you play?

Thought so.

I played the lady Necromancy teacher, if you even remember her. It was a shame it didn't do better. It was an fun idea.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: SilkenVenom on December 07, 2017, 07:11:21 PM
Thought so.

I played the lady Necromancy teacher, if you even remember her. It was a shame it didn't do better. It was an fun idea.

I don't remember her. Unless her PB was Monica Belluci? Otherwise, zero bells, I'm sorry.

it seems this group is doing ok though. Slow, but steady. If you're interested..

Drake Valentine

I may make a sheet, if game is still active/alive.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Anouk Daae

Drake Valentine

Can players submit additional powers to a category that may not be listed or are limited to what is listed?

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Anouk Daae

At present, players are limited to what is listed in order to maintain balance within the story.
However, if you can make a strong case for the addition of another ability to a class, it may be allowed.

Drake Valentine

Well, umbrakinesis in itself does sound pretty limiting as far of its capabilities. Less it also extends to solidifying darkness. Otherwise I would suggest a Darkness Solidification ability.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Drake Valentine on December 11, 2017, 10:44:29 AM
Well, umbrakinesis in itself does sound pretty limiting as far of its capabilities. Less it also extends to solidifying darkness. Otherwise I would suggest a Darkness Solidification ability.

Elaborate, please? Give me an example of how that could be applied.

Drake Valentine

Such as shaping and constructing darkness into something more tangible/solid? Otherwise I don't see darkness magic having any real offensive capabilities.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Drake Valentine on December 11, 2017, 03:22:09 PM
Such as shaping and constructing darkness into something more tangible/solid? Otherwise I don't see darkness magic having any real offensive capabilities.

I see. That ability is spaced out through Umbrakinesis, Animated Shadow, and Shadow Mimicry, so I would have to veto Darkness Solidification as an ability unto itself.

Drake Valentine

...Not really.

Umbrakinesis - can manipulate and control darkness or shadows. (Nothing about solidifying/hardening)
Animated Shadow - Animate one's shadow, stronger mages can create sickness in others by removal of their shadows. (Again, nothing on solidifying since animation is more to bring to life, but there isn't any given extent to this.)
Shadow Mimicry - become a shadow. (Has nothing to do with it.)

The end result is Dark power is pretty weak and needs something to make it more tangible; considering every other power has something much more aggressive aspect to them that makes Dark Binding look more like a filler ability.

I don't think I need to really quote every power in the list to make that case known.

Anouk Daae

I understand your confusion.
Within this group universe, a shadow isn't just the dark patch on the ground where light is blocked. It CAN be, but when combined with the energy of a dark castor's essence - it's different. It can blind, it can overtake another person - wrapping them in darkness where they can only hear what the castor projects into the darkness. Spell bound darkness is likened to deathly chill. Mages and non-mages are driven to insanity if a powerful enough Dark castor can project a shadow onto them for long enough. It won't harden or solidify - it would look more like a smoke or fog when it's being controlled by an umbrakinetic.

Animated shadow can also drive people to insanity because ripping someone's shadow from them is akin to removing their essence. It weakens others. Depending on how strong your character is, they could remove another mage's shadow, momentarily, and that shadow would have a muted version of their original castor's abilities.
Example:
Fred, the Dark Castor with Animated Shadow, is fighting Eric, the hydrokinetic. Fred animates Eric's shadow. Eric is now weakened having part of his essence siphoned off into his shadow. In addition to this, Eric's Shadow has some hydrokinetic abilities of its own and is now under the control of Fred.

Shadow Mimicry can do most of the things an umbrakinetic can do, except now the castor is in the form of the shadow instead of controlling one.

It's come up in many conversations with other players within the group that they feel their chosen class is weak. Spirit, Light, Dark have all had these grievances. They all have said some variation of what you just said, that the ability seems more like a filler, that their class is the weakest one. These three are not meant to be overly physical classes - they're supposed to be mental. Healing or destroying the mind.
If you want something dark but also powerful, go for Necromancy. Or find another group. Not every story will be a winner or a perfect fit, and I fully respect that, as a writer, you have to find the story that fits the character you want to make. No hard feelings.