Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies!

Started by MadPanda, March 26, 2014, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

UPDATE:  We're live!  Plenty of room, too.

System stuff, including the cast thread and the scoreboard (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200554.0)
The OOC thread (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200557.0 )

My inner swashbuckler is acting up, again, bouncing around like a grinning monkey, swinging from the chandeliers, and generally behaving like D'Artagnan's tomboyish kid sister.  So with that in mind, I present the following proposed dial settings for a PDQ# game:

Thumbnail: Several years ago, a certain Barathian noble house staged a hostile takeover of a minor sky-island.  While they were able to imprison (and later murder) most of the royal family, some retainers and most importantly the heir-apparent managed to escape to safety.  Sheltering in a new base of operations in the Sky of Stones, the survivors settled in to lick their wounds and retrench with an eye to reclaiming their homeland someday...

Underlying Aesthetic: Highwayman!  (Chaos in defense of Order)

Themes: Action! Adventure!  Romance!  Intrigue!  Comedy!

Justify Why PCs are Together: Sovereign's  Troubleshooters

Firearms
Just another weapon: pistols and muskets do damage as normal.

Mysticism
Gifted or koldun PCs need to make a mystical Challenge roll on occasion, when the situation warrants
Mystical Challenge are TNs relatively standard.

Poison
Harms, Weakens, Incapacitates, and Endures

Team Sanctum or Team Vehicle?
Is the GM giving the play group a free Team Sanctum or Team Vehicle?  Both!

The core rules are available for free here:  http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/PDQ.pdf

A nice freebie overview of the official world (now that I've found it):
http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/World-Of-S7S.pdf
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

MzHyde

MasterMischief

MadPanda

PDQ# is the name of the core system.  The somewhat more elaborate version we'll be using here is Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies, available through Evil Hat Productions...but if you read the PDQ# rules, you'll know enough to get by.

Also have a gander over here...
http://s7s.wikidot.com/

In Memory of Bishrook

Yukina

I'll play. I think I'll make a maid that was dragged along with the escaping party.

MadPanda

(scratches head)  Well, Servant would make a pretty fair Past, but Sidekicks (ie servants) are traditionally NPCs, so you'll probably want to have something else as your Swashbuckling Forte.  :-)  If all else fails, I suggest Fencing.

There was a long and somewhat heated argument on the yahoogroup (I confess to being part of the heat) over the fact that in the rules, any Forte can be a Swashbuckling Forte...but personally I tend to look at something like Sidekick as 'less appropriate' for that role on grounds that if the coolest thing about you is your trusty manservant Jeeves, then Jeeves is the Player Character and you, Wooster, are the Sidekick.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Yukina

I'll probably have her fence with a broom. :)

MadPanda

Two with a possible third, neh?

Brainstorming a few ideas for your tiny cloud island in the meantime.  And since this is supposed to be as much your game as mine, feel free to toss out a few ideas you'd like to see in this!

Sky-Island of Zorin

Short version of what is currently in my head is this: the island's population was mostly a quiet mix of Colronans (of both nations), maybe some Crailese tired of bustling city life, and a smattering of Viridese--these last are the descendants of the first mercenaries hired by the island's settlers to guard their newly minted royal family.

What're they good at?  Domestic crafts, literacy, home-brewing and cooking, and haggling in the marketplace.

Royal Guard forte--treat as Royalist Musketeer but without the prerequisites, since they've gotten a lot more liberal in their entrance requirements since the exile.

In Memory of Bishrook

Vercile

MadPanda

Plenty of room at the moment!  I'll probably cap things at four confirmed players, though.  Trying to run a tabletop game for six once or twice got a bit cumbersome!   :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

KnightNelson20

If there is room im interested thou i would have to read up on gameplay rules

MadPanda

(counts)

I believe that makes four with one possible extra, so yes, there's room.

I'll go get a thread up that will have a bit more information!  That will include the dial settings, my notes on the Zorini, et cetera, and a character sheet template for your use.  Or, rather, two versions...the 'scoreboard' character sheet and the 'prose' one.

The good news is that these rules are not a strain on the brain!  They take a little time to get used to, since things like damage are abstracted, but the end result is usually pretty good.

Also, character generation ought not take place in a vacuum, so I encourage you all to talk to each other and exchange input and ideas rather than trying to do this all on your ownsome.  :-)

UPDATE: Silly me, I plain forgot to ask preferences.  Y'all want this to go into Light or Bondage?  Not that sex should be all that much of what goes on, most of the time...but I'm okay with a side thread or two to allow for graphic dalliances.  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Yukina

MasterMischief

I am pretty open to what happens on screen. Pain in a sexual context and scat aren't my thing. I don't mind them in a scene, I just would not want my character involved. Beyond that, I am open.

What if our people have a non-mainstream religion? One that makes us a closer comunity out of necessity? I am thinking of Judiasm  as an example.  We are considered outsiders for it. Also, we find commerce a way to overcome this ostracism.

assleigh

I saw this thread whilst I was working on getting approved. My 2 questions are:

1) room for another?
2) would a Milday DeWinter (from 3 Musketeers) type of super social "swashbuckler" work here?
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

MadPanda

Okay, sounds like Bondage, Small Game is where we may well be going.

QuoteWhat if our people have a non-mainstream religion? One that makes us a closer comunity out of necessity?

Funny you should mention that, because I had this idea of giving the Zorani a variation of the old Barathi practice centering on the penstari...

I would think that being in support of a government in exile would suffice for keeping you unified, yes?

QuoteRoom for another?

I hate to say 'no', but the more people we have the greater the chances of everything coming to a screeching halt because the person whose turn it is has gone on holiday for three months without telling anyone.  :-(  So call it a provisional 'yes' for now.

QuoteWould a Milday DeWinter (from 3 Musketeers) type of super social "swashbuckler" work here?

Which version?  The lady in question's been reworked a few times.  And if you mean the really recent movie with the flying ships, I haven't seen it.

And we're nominally up!
System stuff, including the cast thread and the scoreboard (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200554.0)
OOC  (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200557.0 )

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

We're live.  Just waiting for a few player characters in the Cast thread.

In case it got missed:

OOC  (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200557.0 )

In Memory of Bishrook

Zeth

The game is full.

Damn, and I just found my buckler of swashing!  ;)

Yukina

I have completely forgotten about this roleplay, so please let assleigh or Zeth in, as they are more deserving of my spot.

MadPanda

No worries--what they need to do to get in is post something in the OOC and get to work on a character, because without characters nothing can get started.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zeth

So do I just drop my Sheet  idea in the ooc?

MadPanda

There's a cast thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200554.0

UPDATE:
For those who missed it but are still interested, the game threads have been added to the top post in a manner that is hopefully Not At All Subtle or easy to miss.

I am still looking for players for this, so anyone who has expressed interest is welcome to jump in.

In Memory of Bishrook